Start by marking “A View from the Bridge” as Want to Read:
A View from the Bridge

A View from the Bridge

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  5,742 ratings  ·  229 reviews
Longshoreman Eddie Carbone is obsessed with his niece, Catherine, and his unhealthy and inappropriate feelings for her are inflamed when his wife's relatives arrive from Italy.
Audio CD, 100 pages
Published January 1st 2002 by LA Theatre Works (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about A View from the Bridge, please sign up.

Katherine Why don't you want to read a play? It is even better than seeing one sometimes, because you get more insight into character through the stage…moreWhy don't you want to read a play? It is even better than seeing one sometimes, because you get more insight into character through the stage directions. That said, to answer your question, this is a play.(less)

Huda Yahya
Nov 23, 2013 Huda Yahya marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
مسرحية مشهد من الجسر لآرثر ميللر
متوفرة بالعربية على هيئة كتاب صوتي فقط
من أرشيف الإذاعة المصرية

Although I didn’t agree with all that Eddie has done but I cant help loving his kindness and generosity with Catherine the daughter of his wife's sister that he adopted after she died
his fault was that he loved Catherine so much.
He says, "I took out of my own mouth to give to her.,I walked hungry plenty days in this city!"
he gave a warm welcome to his wife's Italian cousins(Marco and Rodolpho) when they first arrived. He opened his doors to them,and declared that it was an "honor" to have them a
From BBC radio 3 - Drama on 3:

Miller's finest play. Italian-American neighbourhood near the Brooklyn Bridge, New York. 1950s.

Lawyer Alfieri (our narrator) conf
Strange yet simple this story was not in the least amusing. I found it rather disturbing to be told the story of Eddie Carbone in such a manner, so I can only imagine the reaction I would have had if I had gone to the theatre to see it being enacted in front of my eyes. The appalling undertones in the play are the first thing I would like to draw attention to.

Homosexuality is ridiculed, I agree. But more importantly feminity is explicitly laughed at through out, even discouraged. The fact that C
Anna Fhaumnuaypol
I can't believe I just rated a school book read for academic purposes 5 stars. I first read it in class with my English teacher, I found it super boring and uninteresting. However, now that I have to revise it for my finals, I really took it seriously and read it in depth. I found out how this play fully captures me for the whole time reading and analyzing it. The characters, their struggles and problems are so easy to relate to.

Eddie and his hard-working life as a longshoreman who is a tragic
Karim Mohamed
بعد هذه المسرحية تأكدت تماماً أن ميلر يعشق النهايات المأساوية . المسرحية مستوحاة من أحداث حقيقية طُلب من ميلر أن يكتب مسرحية عن تلك الأحداث.
كمسرحيات ميلر كلها تصف الحياة الأمريكية بتفاصيل كاملة ، ربما لا تصل تلك المسرحية إلى عظمة "كلهم أبنائي" و "موت بائع متجول" و لكنها بلا شك مسرحية عظيمة جداً

4709218459 65876a7897
Arthur Miller is quickly becoming a favorite.
Again, it is impossible to fully appreciate A View from the Bridge if you haven't seen it performed. After all, a play is written for that exact reason, to be performed. I watched a screening of A View from the Bridge performed at the Young Vic, directed by Ivo van Hove.
My favorite thing about this play is the amazing character development. By the end of it, the characters have completely evolved into other people. The loss of innocence and trust is
Feb 18, 2014 Dido rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dido by: Pınar Kurban
Sanırım bazı tiyatro oyunlarını okumak, izlemekten daha iyi; zihni özgür bırakıyor. Sahneye, dekora, oyuncunun kostümüne ve mimiklerine sıkışmıyor; oyuncunun sesini duyurmak için bağırmasıyla kırılmıyor cam. (buraya bir keşke: KREK'te bir oyun izleyebilmiş olsaydım...)

Okuduğum en güzel oyunlardan biriydi diyebilirim. Oldukça sade ve sürükleyiciydi. 2 perdeden oluşan oyunun ilk perdesinin sonundaki şiddet, dizi izleyen teyze misali "olm kaç ordan kaç geliyo dayak" diye serzenişlere sürükledi beni
This play is my second dip into Arthur Miller (Death of a Salesman was naturally the first), and in both plays he has a wonderful way of melding the structure of a Greek play with the "everyman" in a modern-day setting. Alfieri, an attorney, is the narrator of this play and takes on the role of the Greek chorus, explaining to the audience/reader what is happening and giving a voice to moral and social mores of the time. And in true classic form, Alfieri ends the play by giving us a bit of advice ...more
No me gusta la comparación que hicieron algunos de mis compañeros cuando comentábamos esta obra: "Sentía que era una novela".
No me gusta, pero sé a lo que se refieren. Era realmente interesante. Se supone que una obra de teatro debes leerla de una sentada, e imaginarla como si la estuvieras viendo, o al menos es lo que yo he entendido, y en mi caso, nunca es así, es muy difícil imaginarme la representación de la obra mientras la leo, y lo es más, leerla de una sentada.
Quizá porque es la primera
Tomas Howells
This was a play I have to study for my GCSE English course, which include lots of good literature. I have never before read a play by Miller, nor read a play where I have been uncomfortable throughout my reading experience. I hated absolutely all the characters, excluding Alfieri, which I won't go into now. They all had it coming from them. That is, briefly, why I loved it.
I'm not sure Alfieri worked for me, but the rest of it was pure realism. I read the play just yesterday, however, so I may change my mind as I ponder the play in the next few days and weeks.
Let me point out that I find the TV show ALL IN THE FAMILY seems to have taken its dynamic from this play, right down to the oft-repeated theme of Archie Bunker's daughter not being "his little girl anymore." The bit with the lifting of the chair figures in an episode of that series. Obviously, family dynami
Lily Calder
Reading this again was wonderful. Still as hard hitting as the first time I read it. Arthur Miller’s writing is masterful. It’s not often I can see character development by reading a play rather than watching it, but A View From The Bridge is the exception. The characters are awful, brilliant and realistic all at once. Eddie’s intense feelings for Catherine leap off the page, and Miller’s talent is such that he succeeds in making the reader feel uncomfortable. The colloquial language might seem ...more
Worth a read for the difficult immigration issues it skillfully tackles. But Eddie Carbone is a stock villain to my mind, despite Miller’s efforts to humanize him. Eddie also has a couple great comic lines, like when he accuses a man of slander, saying the slanderer has been “wipin’ the neighborhood with my name like a dirty rag."
A view from the bridge provided interesting views on things like allegiance and love, and made me think hard about them. The ending, however, left me a bit unsatisfied. What happens to Katie and Rodolpho? I can see how ending a play with a death would make it very dramatic, so I can see why Miller wrote the ending the way he did.
Oldukça başarılı ve sade bir oyundu Köprüden Görünüş. Arthur Miller, okuyucu ve izleyiciye insanların iç dünyalarını çok iyi bir şekilde yansıtan bir yazar. Tamamen iyi ve tamamen kötü kavramının olmadığını gösteren bir yazar. Herkesin hatalarının olduğunu, bunun hayatın doğal bir akışı olduğunu ve ne yazık ki o hataların zaman zaman herkesin hayatında olduğu gibi karakterlerinin hayatında da ciddi sonuçlar doğurduğunu çarpıcı bir şekilde sunan bir yazar.

Köprüden Görünüş'te de dönemin ekonomik
I read this with English class so I got a lot more out of it as we went through it very critically and in depth. I love the teams in it and how they where portrayed. It didn't get a higher rating because it all happened to fast for me and I don't believe Eddie had enuf reason to do what he done and his feeling weren't portrayed as good as they could be .
Wael Mahmoud
A little good play. It looks like a Tennessee Williams' play but with Miller's touch.

The characters are a stereotypes, you expect every move but all that doesn't boring you and that's what makes it a good play.
I read this literature text for one of my modules. Darn, it was pretty boring; unimaginative. Wouldn't have read it if I do not have to take that module. Nevertheless, I do in a weird sense enjoy reading books that are not too interesting once in a while (it only took me a few hours to finish reading so that's alright - only a little time was wasted, ha). Just so I'll have more appreciation for those I love.

Having state the negatives, there is one thing I like about this book and that is the dr
I saw this decades ago at Arena Stage in Washington, DC, but all I remembered before reading the play last night was the spare staging. Be sure to read Miller's introduction about how he changed the play into its second incarnation--the version I read--then make sure you have time to read it straight through. It's a pageturner.

On the plus side, Miller had a 6 star ear for dialogue, besides creating a all-stops-out situation between a longshoreman, his wife, his niece and two illegal immigrant c
Ingrid Kirkegaard
I've also just read All My Sons, and it's a bit disappointing to read A View from a Bridge at the same time, because although in conception they seem so different — All My Sons is about a father who betrays his sons by allowing faulty aircraft parts to be fitted to planes which crash, killing other young airmen, while A View from a Bridge is about an uncle who betrays four illegal immigrants despite having harboured two of them, because he is infatuated with the niece he has brought up — themati ...more
This book was oke not the books I would normally read. But for a book I needed to read for school it was suprisingly intresting. And better than the other books I have read for school.

My favorite character was rodolpho the italian immigrant. He was so nice and he actually really loved chaterine. My least favourite chacacters were eddie and beatrice they both really annoyed me. I hated that Eddie couldn't just give up and accept there love for each other.
Chuck O'Connor
Arthur Miller has his omniscient narrator conclude this drama with the adage, "Most of the time now we settle for half and I like it better. But the Truth is holy . . ." Miller's plays always hit me with this sense of holiness. There is a depth of meaning to the ugliness of the human impulse balanced by a desire for goodness within his stories. This play is no exception to that quality. I love that. He continues to be my favorite playwright.
Oct 19, 2015 Bettie☯ rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: BBC Radio Listeners
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: Laura

Description: Martin Jarvis directs Arthur Miller's 1955 award-winning masterpiece. Recorded specially in the US for Drama On 3. Alfred Molina leads an all-star American cast. Universal themes of family, guilt, loyalty, sexual attraction, jealousy - and love - in a powerful story about illegal immigration that still resonates to our time 60 years later.

Lawyer Alfi
Elena Calvo
Arthur Miller is a master of literature and has left us a quite interesting heritage when it comes to the human being and its psyche. This is a play that takes place in NYC and mainly deals with Italian migrants, with ilegal immigration and the tragedy it is and the tragedy that can become when drama arouses among human beings and being an illegal immigrant is banned by law, as if we human beings couldnt move freely and were destined to be caled within what somebody named "nation". This might be ...more
Wow, I really really liked this play, nothing really happens until the very last page, but I very much enjoyed the slow burner plot and the characterisation was amazing.
A View from the Bridge is my second Arthur Miller play and I simply like this one as well though not as much as I love all the twists and tension in The Crucible. A View from the Bridge, however, touches more on our emotions, or affection and obsession and jealousy to be exact. We clearly see Eddie goes on the wrong path as the story goes. We yell from the bottom of our heart that he should come back to his senses and his wife B but characters in the play do not hear us nor they should. So step ...more
Alexa Townsend
I don't want to like this play but I do. The unusualness of the tale draws me in. The way Arthur Miller keeps things hidden and never lets the characters speak the problem has fascinated me as to how he then allows the reader to catch on. I find Alfieri's role a bit of a disappointment as he is obviously a narrator and I would have liked to have seen Miller eliminate his role and try to portray it clearly through the main characters. Having said that, I also believe his role is significant as he ...more
Lauren White
My English Language teacher read this with us as a class and at first I didn't particularly enjoy it.

However, when it came to heavily analysing and writing an essay on the character of Eddie Carbone, I really began to bond with the play and the themes in it.

Gender plays a huge part in the play as it is sneered at, mocked and widely discussed. Catherine is oppressed by her uncle both because of her gender and because he has an unhealthy obsession with her.

As well as this, the play has streaks b
I was assigned to read this play for my English class. We read it aloud and I played Catherine for the entire duration of the play which was awesome! I cannot express to you how much I enjoyed this play. The characters were great. I really enjoyed the subconscious feelings that Eddie had for Catherine. Obviously these types of subconscious feelings were very wrong and they brought a really eerie and creepy vibe to the whole play. The plot was really great and the story kept me in suspense and wa ...more
IB English A lite...: A View from the Bridge 1 5 Sep 03, 2013 12:49PM
  • A Bright Room Called Day
  • Curse of the Starving Class
  • Three Tall Women
  • Oleanna
  • Three by Tennessee: Sweet Bird of Youth; The Rose Tattoo; The Night of the Iguana
  • Awake and Sing!
  • Jerusalem
  • Private Lives
  • The Beauty Queen of Leenane and Other Plays
  • Clybourne Park
  • Dinner With Friends
Arthur Asher Miller was an American playwright and essayist. He was a prominent figure in American literature and cinema for over 61 years, writing a wide variety of plays, including celebrated plays such as The Crucible, A View from the Bridge, All My Sons, and Death of a Salesman, which are still studied and performed worldwide. Miller was often in the public eye, most famously for refusing to g ...more
More about Arthur Miller...

“Just remember, kid, you can quicker get back a million dollars that was stole than a word that you gave away.” 1395 likes
“You can quicker get back a million dollars that was stolen than a word that you gave away.” 58 likes