Start by marking “A View from the Bridge” as Want to Read:
A View from the Bridge

A View from the Bridge

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,550 Ratings  ·  258 Reviews
Longshoreman Eddie Carbone is obsessed with his niece, Catherine, and his unhealthy and inappropriate feelings for her are inflamed when his wife's relatives arrive from Italy.
Audio CD, 100 pages
Published January 1st 2002 by LA Theatre Works (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about A View from the Bridge, please sign up.

Katherine Why don't you want to read a play? It is even better than seeing one sometimes, because you get more insight into character through the stage…moreWhy don't you want to read a play? It is even better than seeing one sometimes, because you get more insight into character through the stage directions. That said, to answer your question, this is a play.(less)

Huda Yahya
Nov 23, 2013 Huda Yahya marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
مسرحية مشهد من الجسر لآرثر ميللر
متوفرة بالعربية على هيئة كتاب صوتي فقط
من أرشيف الإذاعة المصرية
Hend

Although I didn’t agree with all that Eddie has done but I cant help loving his kindness and generosity with Catherine the daughter of his wife's sister that he adopted after she died
his fault was that he loved Catherine so much.
He says, "I took out of my own mouth to give to her.,I walked hungry plenty days in this city!"
he gave a warm welcome to his wife's Italian cousins(Marco and Rodolpho) when they first arrived. He opened his doors to them,and declared that it was an "honor" to have them a
Dannii Elle
Jul 14, 2016 Dannii Elle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was only while half the way through this that I realized that I had actually read this once before, whilst in school. I can remember detesting this after my first read as it felt like a pointless story that took the reader nowhere. My second read has unveiled so much that I missed the first time! Perhaps it was my lack of maturity, but I definitely did not appreciate the complexities that were packed into this short tale. The nuances of human emotion and the focus on the human condition are s ...more
May 04, 2016 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bettie
From BBC radio 3 - Drama on 3:
Martin Jarvis directs Arthur Miller's 1955 award-winning masterpiece. Recorded specially in the US for Drama On 3. Alfred Molina leads an all-star American cast. Universal themes of family, guilt, loyalty, sexual attraction, jealousy - and love - in a powerful story about illegal immigration that still resonates to our time 60 years later.

Miller's finest play. Italian-American neighbourhood near the Brooklyn Bridge, New York. 1950s.

Lawyer Alfieri (our narrator) conf
Anna Fhaumnuaypol
I can't believe I just rated a school book read for academic purposes 5 stars. I first read it in class with my English teacher, I found it super boring and uninteresting. However, now that I have to revise it for my finals, I really took it seriously and read it in depth. I found out how this play fully captures me for the whole time reading and analyzing it. The characters, their struggles and problems are so easy to relate to.

Eddie and his hard-working life as a longshoreman who is a tragic
Anum
Strange yet simple this story was not in the least amusing. I found it rather disturbing to be told the story of Eddie Carbone in such a manner, so I can only imagine the reaction I would have had if I had gone to the theatre to see it being enacted in front of my eyes. The appalling undertones in the play are the first thing I would like to draw attention to.

Homosexuality is ridiculed, I agree. But more importantly feminity is explicitly laughed at through out, even discouraged. The fact that C
christala
May 22, 2015 christala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arthur Miller is quickly becoming a favorite.
Again, it is impossible to fully appreciate A View from the Bridge if you haven't seen it performed. After all, a play is written for that exact reason, to be performed. I watched a screening of A View from the Bridge performed at the Young Vic, directed by Ivo van Hove.
My favorite thing about this play is the amazing character development. By the end of it, the characters have completely evolved into other people. The loss of innocence and trust is
Nancy Burns
May 06, 2016 Nancy Burns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, plays
Wonderful and majestic play!
Take the time to explore the 'implications' it had on
the 1950's in USA. Justice, betrayal, code of honor
....all the elements touched on by McCarthyism.

My review:

Mared Owen
May 19, 2016 Mared Owen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
(orginially 4.5*)

What a tragedy- what a mess! Definitely looking forward to studying this in detail, because I feel like reading this once and rating it immediately doesn't do justice to this masterpiece. I know that I missed a lot reading it for the first time round so yes, as I said, a lot of potential for further study!

As I suspected, I'm enjoying studying this play more than actually reading it!

edit 19.05.16: ha it's actually quite hilarious how obsessed I am with this play now. After se
Eileen Ying
Jul 18, 2016 Eileen Ying rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

This is the second play I've read of Miller's. The first was The Crucible, which I loved. I went into A View from the Bridge with few expectations; I picked it randomly off a library shelf with no knowledge of what it was about or what others thought of it. Honestly, the name Arthur Miller was the only reason I chose to read it.

I'm very glad I did.

The setting of A View from the Bridge is entirely different from that of The Crucible. The latter, as most of you probably know, takes place in P
Dido
Feb 18, 2014 Dido rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dido by: Pınar Kurban
Sanırım bazı tiyatro oyunlarını okumak, izlemekten daha iyi; zihni özgür bırakıyor. Sahneye, dekora, oyuncunun kostümüne ve mimiklerine sıkışmıyor; oyuncunun sesini duyurmak için bağırmasıyla kırılmıyor cam. (buraya bir keşke: KREK'te bir oyun izleyebilmiş olsaydım...)

Okuduğum en güzel oyunlardan biriydi diyebilirim. Oldukça sade ve sürükleyiciydi. 2 perdeden oluşan oyunun ilk perdesinin sonundaki şiddet, dizi izleyen teyze misali "olm kaç ordan kaç geliyo dayak" diye serzenişlere sürükledi beni
Lynne
Mar 17, 2009 Lynne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This play is my second dip into Arthur Miller (Death of a Salesman was naturally the first), and in both plays he has a wonderful way of melding the structure of a Greek play with the "everyman" in a modern-day setting. Alfieri, an attorney, is the narrator of this play and takes on the role of the Greek chorus, explaining to the audience/reader what is happening and giving a voice to moral and social mores of the time. And in true classic form, Alfieri ends the play by giving us a bit of advice ...more
Amaranthos
No me gusta la comparación que hicieron algunos de mis compañeros cuando comentábamos esta obra: "Sentía que era una novela".
No me gusta, pero sé a lo que se refieren. Era realmente interesante. Se supone que una obra de teatro debes leerla de una sentada, e imaginarla como si la estuvieras viendo, o al menos es lo que yo he entendido, y en mi caso, nunca es así, es muy difícil imaginarme la representación de la obra mientras la leo, y lo es más, leerla de una sentada.
Quizá porque es la primera
Iolanda
Jun 23, 2016 Iolanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This was one of the plays I studied at school but we never got around to completing it. A lot of the plot had left my mind, refreshed myself by giving it a re-read and in all honesty, it's quite a mediocre play. Plays are written like scripts so I fired through it obviously, but the characters can be read like cardboard cutouts. With that in mind it's definitely made for the stage. I wouldn't read it again but I gave it extra stars since it's a classic and was published among the other greats of ...more
Tomas Howells
This was a play I have to study for my GCSE English course, which include lots of good literature. I have never before read a play by Miller, nor read a play where I have been uncomfortable throughout my reading experience. I hated absolutely all the characters, excluding Alfieri, which I won't go into now. They all had it coming from them. That is, briefly, why I loved it.
Frederick
May 08, 2009 Frederick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, miller-arthur
I'm not sure Alfieri worked for me, but the rest of it was pure realism. I read the play just yesterday, however, so I may change my mind as I ponder the play in the next few days and weeks.
Let me point out that I find the TV show ALL IN THE FAMILY seems to have taken its dynamic from this play, right down to the oft-repeated theme of Archie Bunker's daughter not being "his little girl anymore." The bit with the lifting of the chair figures in an episode of that series. Obviously, family dynami
Lily Calder
Jan 03, 2015 Lily Calder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this again was wonderful. Still as hard hitting as the first time I read it. Arthur Miller’s writing is masterful. It’s not often I can see character development by reading a play rather than watching it, but A View From The Bridge is the exception. The characters are awful, brilliant and realistic all at once. Eddie’s intense feelings for Catherine leap off the page, and Miller’s talent is such that he succeeds in making the reader feel uncomfortable. The colloquial language might seem ...more
Katherine
Oct 22, 2015 Katherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, italian
Worth a read for the difficult immigration issues it skillfully tackles. But Eddie Carbone is a stock villain to my mind, despite Miller’s efforts to humanize him. Eddie also has a couple great comic lines, like when he accuses a man of slander, saying the slanderer has been “wipin’ the neighborhood with my name like a dirty rag."
Sophia
Nov 25, 2015 Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A view from the bridge provided interesting views on things like allegiance and love, and made me think hard about them. The ending, however, left me a bit unsatisfied. What happens to Katie and Rodolpho? I can see how ending a play with a death would make it very dramatic, so I can see why Miller wrote the ending the way he did.
Hannah
I read this with English class so I got a lot more out of it as we went through it very critically and in depth. I love the teams in it and how they where portrayed. It didn't get a higher rating because it all happened to fast for me and I don't believe Eddie had enuf reason to do what he done and his feeling weren't portrayed as good as they could be .
Wael Mahmoud
A little good play. It looks like a Tennessee Williams' play but with Miller's touch.

The characters are a stereotypes, you expect every move but all that doesn't boring you and that's what makes it a good play.
Pamela
Nov 03, 2011 Pamela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I read this literature text for one of my modules. Darn, it was pretty boring; unimaginative. Wouldn't have read it if I do not have to take that module. Nevertheless, I do in a weird sense enjoy reading books that are not too interesting once in a while (it only took me a few hours to finish reading so that's alright - only a little time was wasted, ha). Just so I'll have more appreciation for those I love.

Having state the negatives, there is one thing I like about this book and that is the dr
Jinx
Mar 14, 2016 Jinx rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book didn't like the ending though
Rochelle
Apr 26, 2015 Rochelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw this decades ago at Arena Stage in Washington, DC, but all I remembered before reading the play last night was the spare staging. Be sure to read Miller's introduction about how he changed the play into its second incarnation--the version I read--then make sure you have time to read it straight through. It's a pageturner.

On the plus side, Miller had a 6 star ear for dialogue, besides creating a all-stops-out situation between a longshoreman, his wife, his niece and two illegal immigrant c
Jason
May 29, 2016 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A deeply moving and sad piece. I'd never read this one before (not sure how that happened), but well worth the wait.
Ingrid Kirkegaard
I've also just read All My Sons, and it's a bit disappointing to read A View from a Bridge at the same time, because although in conception they seem so different — All My Sons is about a father who betrays his sons by allowing faulty aircraft parts to be fitted to planes which crash, killing other young airmen, while A View from a Bridge is about an uncle who betrays four illegal immigrants despite having harboured two of them, because he is infatuated with the niece he has brought up — themati ...more
Amber
Nov 26, 2015 Amber rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was oke not the books I would normally read. But for a book I needed to read for school it was suprisingly intresting. And better than the other books I have read for school.

My favorite character was rodolpho the italian immigrant. He was so nice and he actually really loved chaterine. My least favourite chacacters were eddie and beatrice they both really annoyed me. I hated that Eddie couldn't just give up and accept there love for each other.
Chuck O'Connor
May 20, 2013 Chuck O'Connor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arthur Miller has his omniscient narrator conclude this drama with the adage, "Most of the time now we settle for half and I like it better. But the Truth is holy . . ." Miller's plays always hit me with this sense of holiness. There is a depth of meaning to the ugliness of the human impulse balanced by a desire for goodness within his stories. This play is no exception to that quality. I love that. He continues to be my favorite playwright.
Elena Calvo
May 08, 2014 Elena Calvo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arthur Miller is a master of literature and has left us a quite interesting heritage when it comes to the human being and its psyche. This is a play that takes place in NYC and mainly deals with Italian migrants, with ilegal immigration and the tragedy it is and the tragedy that can become when drama arouses among human beings and being an illegal immigrant is banned by law, as if we human beings couldnt move freely and were destined to be caled within what somebody named "nation". This might be ...more
Haroon
Mar 26, 2015 Haroon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I really really liked this play, nothing really happens until the very last page, but I very much enjoyed the slow burner plot and the characterisation was amazing.
IB English A lite...: A View from the Bridge 1 5 Sep 03, 2013 12:49PM
  • Fat Pig
  • Good People
  • Awake and Sing!
  • Private Lives
Arthur Asher Miller was an American playwright and essayist. He was a prominent figure in American literature and cinema for over 61 years, writing a wide variety of plays, including celebrated plays such as The Crucible, A View from the Bridge, All My Sons, and Death of a Salesman, which are still studied and performed worldwide. Miller was often in the public eye, most famously for refusing to g ...more
More about Arthur Miller...

“Just remember, kid, you can quicker get back a million dollars that was stole than a word that you gave away.” 1405 likes
“You can quicker get back a million dollars that was stolen than a word that you gave away.” 62 likes