Downtown

Downtown

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  19 reviews

Ed McBain, author of the bestselling 87th Precinct series, takes us "Downtown" in a bold departure of a novel that will have listeners cheering for a lone out-of-towner running for his life in New York City.

Meet Michael Barnes, a Florida orange grower who finds himself in a Manhattan bar with a couple of hours to kill. It's a couple of hours that almost kill him, as he's s

Mass Market Paperback, 340 pages
Published June 1993 by Avon Books (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Downtown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downtown

Randy
Florida orange grower Michael Barnes had finished his business in New York and had a couple of hours to kill before catching his flight to Boston to join his mother for the Christmas holidays. So he went downtwon to a bar for a few drinks.

In short order, he was conned out of his money and credit cards by a fake hot blond lawyer and her equally fake cop partner. To top it off, his good Samaritan friend managed to rip off his rental car as well.

Only the beginning.

He was later mugged and, when he r...more
wally
#7 from mcbain for me...and this is just what the good doctor ordered...funny...heh! and i need funny at the moment...at the start of chapter 4 at the moment...michael leaving the dice game...that called craps?...connie, a beautiful oriental woman saying, wait for me...oh boy oh boy.

downtown, 1989, a dedication: for jan and roy dean, paperback, first avon books printing, 1993

story begins:
michael was telling the blonde he'd never been in this part of the city. in fact, he'd been to new york only...more
Jim
I found Downtown from Ed McBain to be a strange duck. I guess a comic-thriller would describe it best. Michael Barnes is an out-of-towner killing a couple of hours in lower Manhattan before flying out to see his mother in Boston. In short order he is conned out of his wallet and has his rental car stolen. Not long after, his drivers license and credit cards are found in the stolen car next to a dead body and the chase is on. You get quite a tour of lower Manhattan while Michael tries to get to t...more
Charles Moore
I’ve only read one short story and one essay by McBain and liked both. Downtown, not an 87th Precinct novel, is a delight to read and tag along through an adventure with weird people and strange places but also probably real people and real places from McBain’s own life. In his essay, McBain says that one of his major characters is New York City. He admits that the city changes a lot and it’s tough if not impossible to portray the place accurately but that it is also not really necessary. In Dow...more
Chuck
A funny mystery/thriller. I would recommend it to fans of Gregory McDonald's Fletch series.
Lawrence
yeah, it's fine, snappy and all that. I just wish the deus-ex-machina element aka the romance subplot weren't so prominent. And, that McBain had stuck to the lighthearted tone that predominates--the colorful underworld figures and all that. The Vietnam flashbacks were totally out of place and a downer: had to tell my wife (who had read three-quarters of it before putting it down) that she wasn't allowed to finish it.
Joshua Emil
According to the reviews by the critics, they said it was funny, amusing. I didn't find it amusing but intriguing. The main character, Michael Barnes, gets a look of New York City's side of being a "Fun City". Being chased hy both sides of the law for commiting a crime he didn't commit, Michael takes his chances in order to prove his innocence.
Jose Guzman
Jul 09, 2007 Jose Guzman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Action lovers
This book has a fortune cookie on it's cover. I have the hard copy. And in the background of the fortune cookie there is a firecracker and the letters Downtown are kind of broken in half. This book is literally keeping you on the edge of your favorite chair. This book is so action packed I finished it in under a week.
Oleg
This book is out of ordinary. Plot is intriguing, action is non-stopping. There are some cliches, but you just might ignore them. End is a little bit out of the book's style, but still, it did not spoil the whole book experience.
Alice
E-book. A little too unrealistic murder mystery, plus the author goes on and on with some of his descriptions - so much so that I start thinking about something else, waiting for him to get past that point.
rabbitprincess
Not as fun as the 87th Precinct series. I think I borrowed this from the library, didn't finish it, then saw it at a used-book store and bought it, forgetting that I had read and abandoned it.
Victoria
The first and only McBain book that I have read. I read it because I was told how very funny Ed McBain's books are. I didn't find this one particularly funny and I guessed 'whodunit'.
columbialion
Not one of McBain's better efforts. Plot and characters are convoluted at best, and the storyline is very confusing. McBain should have left the satirical humor to Carl Hiaasen.
Charles
Entertaining and funny. Florida orange grower in NYC on Christmas Eve. Madness ensues. Definitely not a police procedural. Three and a half stars.
Sheldon Lehman
Very amusing with wonderful twists of plot. Just when you think the protagonist will figure it out...wham! McBain turns the plot again!
Jason Case
Except for a couple of inexcusable coincidences, A fun and readable book.
Ginny
Funny in an weird sort of way. Not an 87th Precinct novel
Saima
Saima marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Hefziba Campos
Hefziba Campos marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Rhea
Rhea marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
  • Candyland
  • Pursuit
  • The Glitter Dome
  • Jazz Funeral (Skip Langdon, #3)
  • Cold Shoulder (Lorraine Page, #1)
  • I Married a Dead Man
  • Deadline
  • Slide (Max & Angela, #2 - Hard Case Crime, #36)
  • Hope to Die (Matthew Scudder, #15)
  • Those Who Walk in Darkness (Soledad O'Roark, #1)
  • Fender Benders
  • Bordersnakes
  • He Who Whispers (Dr. Gideon Fell, #16)
  • The Vengeful Virgin (Hard Case Crime #30)
  • Dirty Money (Parker, #24)
  • One Lonely Night
  • Serenade
  • Witch Hunt (Jack Harvey, #1)
Ed McBain is a pseudonym of Evan Hunter, who was born and raised as Salvatore Lombino in New York City, living in East Harlem until the age of 12, at which point his family moved to the Bronx. He attended Olinville Junior High School, then Evander Childs High School, before winning an Art Students League scholarship. Later, he was admitted as an art student at Cooper Union.

Hunter served in the Nav...more
More about Ed McBain...
Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1) Ice (87th Precinct, #36) The Mugger (87th Precinct #2) Let's Hear It For The Deaf Man (87th Precinct, #27) Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)