The Homeschooling Handbook

The Homeschooling Handbook

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Don't Even Think About Teaching Your Child at Home—Until You Read This Book
Discover why millions of parents are homeschooling their children. In this revised edition of her groundbreaking book, Mary Griffith tells you everything you need to know about the fastest-growing educational movement in the country, including:
·When, why, and how to homeschool
·Detailed learning id...more
Paperback, Revised, Second Edition, 320 pages
Published March 30th 1999 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 8th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Homeschooling Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Homeschooling Handbook

Emily
Some helpful information, but a great deal of generalities. This may have suffered simply because it wasn't the first homeschooling book I've picked up and so a lot was review, but it felt like it tried to cover too much too quickly. Maybe good for an overview and then read additional books to get more into the nitty-gritty.

For more book reviews, come visit my blog, Build Enough Bookshelves.
James
Apr 19, 2009 James rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents considering homeschooling
The Homeschooling Handbook is a good read for parents considering homeschooling. The first book I picked up on the subject, it have me a fairly decent idea on various homeschooling methods and things to consider before you decide on a course. The author does make her favoritism toward a method known as "unschooling" well known, showing a bias on the method in my opinion. That one nitpick aside, it is an interesting and informative read if homeschooling is a subject you'd like to learn more about...more
Great introduction to homeschooling. Author is biased about her preferred method of homeschooling; however, that bias does not interfere with her ability to explain key concepts regarding homeschooling.
Bobbie Grob
This is an excellent guide for those who are thinking of homeschooling. It is a bit out of date, having been published in the late 90's, but the answers still hold true. The author doesn't try to point the reader in any direction, but instead offers information on all the different directions so that the reader can pick and choose and then pick and choose again if necessary.

Unless you have children that run the gamut of ages between K - 12, this is probably not a book you will read cover to cov...more
Erika
A good primer for home-schooling theories, how-to's, and pep talks to reassure readers through the parental anxieties, doubting relatives, and obnoxious others who don't get it. This is a great reference book, with lists of great references: other books to read, magazines, lists to join, support groups, etc. I took some notes and was inspired to plan more field trips to local business plants, theatre and ballet dress rehearsals, and even nursing homes. Or, maybe I'll just visit Grandma more and...more
Rachel

The good news: this book will help any parent anxiously coming into homeschooling. I admit that a lot of the real life scenarios helped me see how I don't need to worry if I'm doing it right. That load off my shoulders is invaluable before I start with Kindergarten in 2 years.

The bad news: it is clearly edited to indicate a BIAS for unschooling, virtually no testing, and not pushing your kids for higher education. Coming from a public school background (as a student AND a former teacher) I can o...more
Martha
I still like the Complete Guide to Homeschooling, but this one is good in different ways. I'm not really fond of it's bias toward unschooling, but that's a personal choice. It has a few other things I wasn't impressed with, but it had some things that the other book didn't have, like pages & pages listing colleges that have accepted homeschoolers, lots of internet & otherwise resources, etc. I'd use the Complete Guide for setting up & this one for additional resources, if I had the o...more
Mary Ann
This is the first book I have read about homeschooling. I found it helpful in becoming aware of what I need to consider when deciding if homeschooling is really for my family, and what approach would be the most affective. The book is a bit outdated (brought to my attention especially when naming AOL as a viable connection option) but I think some of the resources listed by the author will still be helpful as I continue my research into homeschooling.
Christina
This was a review of a lot of things I've already read. Perhaps if I'd read it first, I would have liked it more. However, it was still helpful to me as a brand-new home-educator, as I muddle my way through the beginning stages of this experience. I especially liked the appendices: lists of resources with short descriptions of each, including web sites.
Pequete
This is a good and thorough book on homeschooling, but I found it didn't add a lot to what I already had read in other books. It also has several sections that apply to the US reality only, and not to ours, which probably made me find it a bit less interesting than I might have.
Jane H
This was definitely a great beginner guide to homeschooling and raised some interesting questions and gave a wide range of information. A lot of it I'd already seen on blogs but I did read most of the sections. Quick and easy, and I did add some notes into my files.
Bunga Petualang
I read this book in order to nurture my children. I learned so many practical things in educating children at home.

I hope my children found learning is interesting and fun. Enjoy your reading!
Amylouise (Lou) Adira
What a great read. I gobbled it up in a couple of days. Covers the whole spectrum with resources so the reader can choose where to delve for greater detail. Definitely recommend.
Lisa
This book had lots of information about homeschooling. it is great for someone trying to decide if they want to teach their children at home and what information you will need.
Brittanyshapiro
Seemed a bit dated since it was published in 1997. It was a good first book to read on the subject. I enjoyed reading the examples given by some homeschooling families.
Karyn
Thinking about homeschooling my kids. This book gave some really great resources. I kept a notebook handy while reading. I especially enjoyed the personal accounts.
Tauna
Great for those beginning or thinking of homeschooling. Good overview as well as examples to get an idea of what it's like in different families.
Heather!
I wouldn't call it a handbook. It's more like a very basic intro. Pretty boring/useless if you have some experience or knowledge of homeschooling.
Elizabeth
A helpful introduction to homeschooling especially for someone is clueless as where to start!
Deanna
This probably would have been more useful to me if I would have read it 5 years ago when I started.
Heather Tabares
A big bore. Not much info you wouldn't already have known or would have considered.
Alex
Strong Resources Appendix and clear layout of homeschooling concerns and methods.
Nicole
Not one of my favorite homeschooling books, but I still found it very useful.
Sonja
Didn't rock my world, but good. Practical. Pretty common sense.
Kyra
A good first book for those investigating homeschooling.
Answers a lot of basic homeschool questions
Nicole
Outstanding resource! Loved it!
sleeps9hours
Good resource for ideas.
Selene Castillo
Selene Castillo is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World as Your Child's Classroom Viral Learning: Reflections on the Homeschooling Life Three Hundred Years Hence Road In The Dark Homeschooling Handbook, The: From Preschool to High School, a Parent's Guide To: Making the Decision; Discovering Your Child's Learning Style; Getting Started; Creating an Effective