Start by marking “Toilet Training in Less Than a Day” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Toilet Training in Les...

Nathan H. Azrin

Toilet Training in Less Than a Day

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  511 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
Two noted learning specialists have developed this amazing new training method that--for the average child--requires less than four hours. And after that rewarding learning period, the child will be able to toilet himself without assistance or reminder!
Published March 2nd 1977 by Pocket (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Toilet Training in Less Than a Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toilet Training in Less Than a Day

Jenn
Feb 22, 2008 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any mother of a toddler
My husband called it "Voodoo" because it really sounds too good to be true--potty training in less than a day?? Really? Nonetheless, I read it and followed the plan exactly and it worked! THis was after numerous attempts with other techniques. Dr. Phil follows a very similar approach. Try it!
Candice Miller
Sep 23, 2007 Candice Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all mothers
I loved this potty training method. It involves a lot of steps and follow-through but it has been successful for me twice. It doesn't actually take just one day but several. The key for me were the "potty practices" if my child had an accident. Bravo to the innovative authors!
Danielle
Promises, promises. Okay, abbreviated review: this method worked, Jacob is trained, and all is well.
Extended review: No, it was not as simple as this book claimed. Aside from the outdated presentation, the theory behind this method of toilet training made great sense to me. It sounded do-able. Yes! Toilet training CAN be a fun, enjoyable experience for both me and my toddler! It's all in your attitude, right? Well, that lasted for about the first four hours (the promised "average" time for a ch
Lauren Fidler
first off, i'm rating this book solely on rhetoric, not on practice. once i apply the "doll-treat-training pants-positive affirmation" techniques, i will either up or downgrade my score.

this book was written in the 60s; the edition i read was a reprint from 1974. let's just say it hasn't aged well.

first off, the book encourages that one person - usually the mother - stays home all day with the special young child (according to the book, mostly boys, but a few rare, stubborn girls)and train them
Heather
Jan 24, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned how NOT to potty train with my first, and I thought all that learning would help with my second. I decided to wait for him to be ready. I would probably still be waiting nearly 2 years later. This book was a life saver, and really, it did take only one day. He still had a handful of accidents, but we went straight from diapers to underwear, literally overnight. You really have to do exactly what they say in the book, but one day (and maybe less) of intense one on one time with your tod ...more
Catriona
Jul 17, 2013 Catriona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meghan
Jul 26, 2008 Meghan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So this book had a lot of good ideas... in theory. This method worked for a neighbor of mine and so I decided to try it. I did everything it suggested: I bought a potty doll, i used a child's toilet seat, i got a babysitter for my other child, i used treats and drinks, i followed the procedure as laid out. It didn't work. The part that failed was when your child has an accident your child is supposed to practice going to the potty chair, lowering his pants, sitting on the chair, and standing up ...more
Amberly
Jun 22, 2015 Amberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-family
I should give this book 5 stars because the method works. But I just couldn't - the writing style of the author is just way too annoying to give him 5 stars.

I used the method - it worked great. Although about 2-3 hours in, I thought I had done the worst thing ever and felt like it wasn't going to work. Shortly after that everything started to click for my little one. I will say that most of our troubles occurred because I had a sinus infection and no energy the day we did this.

One tip - buy a 5
Luisana
Jun 20, 2015 Luisana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book through and then read it again. This potty training concept needs to be dissected and understood by the parent. I was seriously mortified about potty training, I had attempted it with my twins and did not work. But this book helped me understand many things about my twins and me (as a parent). So, I read it to understand it and my twins were potty trained in one day.

It's good to know that I did not start that particular day with a "let me do this" (since I kept procrastinating) b
Carissa
I'm not sure whether to rate the book or the method. Since I haven't tried potty training just yet, I'll settle for rating the book. But I must admit that reading a potty training book isn't high on my "fun" list.

That said, I found this book to be tolerably readable. The many illustrations, while not exceptionally helpful, did make the reading go by quicker. The authors are scientists and therefore, their writing was very concise and logical. The fact that their method was developed by working
Child960801
I found lots of the ideas good but the book was very dated and some things mildly offensive. I also found that it didn't really address our life situation. We don't stay home all the time or always have access to his potty, because sometimes we're out at the mall or whatever. This book didn't really address what to do in that situation and we had a lot of confusion at first because at home I expected him to be independent but out and about I would have to help him.
Evie Houston
Apr 10, 2014 Evie Houston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is hands down the BEST potty training book- it's old school, works like a charm if you actually follow it. My daughter got it down in 1 morning and by the afternoon was successful. I wished I discovered it when I was going through this with her older brother- that was harder :) HIGHLY Recommend! It makes the process fun, focuses on games that quiz your child on what to do, LOTS OF REWARDS AND TREATS- TRY not to use only candy- that causes tummy aches- but we used mini chips ahoy and mini or ...more
Teresa
Nov 12, 2014 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So by the definition in the book (child self initiates) my kid was trained in 3 hours. They were kind of a painful 3 hours and at the end I didn't feel like we had actually potty trained him. I mean, he had 4 accidents and 1 success. Doesn't sound like success to me. That day ended with 50% success. I changed nothing, and on day 2 we had 80%, day 3 was 95%, days 4&5 were 100% success. It's pretty magical really. Even my mom, who has potty trained many a child, said it was the most amazing te ...more
Bethany Zimp
This was a pretty handy read to get a good grasp on potty training basic do's and don'ts, while keeping a positive attitude for the whole family. Especially when you consider how long ago this was written, most of the advice is still very applicable. I have no doubt it is possible to quickly train your child, but we're going a little slower with a few adaptations. The book has very detailed instructions, but glosses over/skips a few important points: how to teach your child to poop in the potty, ...more
Angie
Mar 18, 2008 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational
While I thought the book was quite outdated in the way it was written, I did think it gave me a lot to think about in the way that I wanted to train my own child. I did try the suggested method and found that my child was not quite ready and I will be taking a different approach.
Elaine
Feb 25, 2008 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone getting ready to potty train - good luck!
Recommended to Elaine by: Stephanie, Alan, Lore
I borrowed this book from my in-laws (It's pretty old). I thought the research backing up it's suggestions was pretty good. I also liked that it provided a case example so you could see how the whole plan worked. Today was T-day and so far it has gone well... but we shall see.
Kristie
Feb 08, 2008 Kristie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a really good method to use for potty training - but I used it when Haylie was 20 months and I don't think she was quite ready for it. She got trained, but it took longer than I had anticipated.
Maryhadley
Jun 26, 2007 Maryhadley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This worked for us. We trained him on a Saturday morning and he hasn't had an accident since then. It sounds a little 1950's-ish but we followed it to a tee and were successful with it.
Tasha
Nov 17, 2008 Tasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written a LONG time ago (during the MAN era) but it still works! Buy the pottie doll, stickers, candy and even the apron!
Sarahlynn Lester
Mar 11, 2015 Sarahlynn Lester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-the-kids
This book is quite dated (moms do most of the potty training . . . while wearing aprons. people with developmental disabilities are - respectfully! - referred to as "retarded") but the techniques are well-researched and solid. This is the approach my mom used to potty train me, and Paul and I did the same with all three of our kids.

The authors are psychologists who developed a method for teaching institutionalized adults with cognitive disabilities to toilet independently. Later, they modified
Julie
Jul 10, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As Klein approached her 3rd birthday, I was set on getting her potty trained. I have seen this book referred to in many “mommy blogs” recently and they all seemed to have had a great deal of success with this method so I thought I would give it a try. It is a pretty old book; copyrighted in the 1970s but the methods seemed pretty good and straightforward. The book only took a few hours to read and is a bit dated but clear about what to do. I guess the real test of this book is whether or not it ...more
Corinna
Well today was the day that I potty trained my son using this book it took about 4 hours to train him. It went pretty well. I had some trouble remembering all what to say and to write down all the times for when to dry check but cheat sheets are provided which help. I also had trouble with the wet doll wetting itself to soon but that is operator error. My son understood my instructions and went potty all by himself in his little potty and emptied it all by himself too and is still doing well two ...more
Jan 17, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
<--4 years later I tried Toilet Training in Less Than a Day. It worked. In less than a day. So I'm upping my review to 5 stars, yeah!-->

After hearing several conflicting views, I checked out the three available books in my library to see what literature had to say. Is early okay? Does the child regress? What are the readiness signs? Why are people today saying it's okay to keep your child in diapers until he's four?

My greatest learning came from Toilet Training Without Tears - it goes thro
Noelle Franklyn
Sep 30, 2010 Noelle Franklyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it works for some kids, but it did not for mine.

It is hopelessly outdated. It is not cool to call people retarded anymore. I know it was acceptable historically, but it's time to update your language if you're going to continue publishing.

The push sugary beverages to create pee led to my son getting wired on sugar and peeing all over the place. The whole lead him to the potty for several runs after each accident led to horrible meltdowns, fits, and general refusal to go anywhere near a po
Aili
Mar 18, 2008 Aili rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms
Shelves: nf
This is the only book I've read that felt right for potty training. I've used it twice now, the first time after we had already started training a 27-month-old (training after the book took about a week, we had months of accidents) and more recently on my almost three-year-old (we did everything in the book and after three days I didn't have to remind her again). Age and personality has a lot to do with it.

The doll can be simulated by hiding a wet towel or a water-filled balloon in your hand as
Heather
Mar 28, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents
Shelves: parenting
I was a little skeptical, but the method outlined in this book really does work. My daughter was going to the potty all by herself at the end of one day. She did still have some accidents, but on the fourth day after potty training, she went an entire day without any accidents. There are a few things that I didn't care for: the authors suggest that you train your child in the kitchen (I kept all things potty in the bathroom, whenever I could); they also suggest that you use one of those little p ...more
Tami
Apr 15, 2012 Tami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toilet Training in Less Than a Day was originally written in 1974. The traditional methods presented (and the language used throughout the book) shows this dating. As the title suggests, potty training is intensive but happens over a period of a few hours to one day (perhaps a bit more for stubborn children or those who have had negative experiences with potty training).

Essentially, the method involves using a doll to show the child the process. Once the child understands the steps, then he or s
Christine
May 31, 2010 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It really works!

We had failed so miserably with potty training our 4.5-year-old that 3 days ago, he had successfully peed in the potty 1 time in his life. Today, after using the method described in this book to the letter, he was accident free. It wasn't that we hadn't tried before...all kinds of things...but this method pulls every good learning tool together in an intensive program that makes it very difficult to fail.

I read the book from cover to cover and went as close to the letter as I c
Brittany
May 20, 2010 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sisters-in-law told me about this book, claiming that their kids were all trained in a matter of hours. (The book says, "You may consider your child to be trained when he walks to the potty chair for the first time without a reminder and completes the entire toileting experience without the need for instructions of guidance.") As a skeptical reader, I wasn't sure if this method would actually work for my kid.

I decided to follow the method as closely as possible with only a few small changes t
Kami
Aug 18, 2009 Kami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll have to update this review once I actually try the method, but for now I'll just give my impressions of the book. I thought the 1970's pictures were priceless, and laughed out loud. The 1970's gender specific characterizations were hugely amusing too--how times have changed! It was written in a rather academic voice, which I liked since the only reason I'm reading it is to learn the process not be coddled or entertained. Now to try it out... I'm not too excited about that part of it.

Okay,
  • Applied Behavior Analysis
  • How to Think Like a Behavior Analyst: Understanding the Science That Can Change Your Life
  • The Behavior Code: A Practical Guide to Understanding and Teaching the Most Challenging Students
  • The Behavior of Organisms
  • Behavioral Intervention for Young Children with Autism: A Manual for Parents and Professionals
  • Behavior Modification: Principles and Procedures
  • Meaningful Differences in the Everyday Experience of Young American Children
  • The Science of Consequences: How They Affect Genes, Change the Brain, and Impact Our World
  • No More Perfect Kids: Love the Kids You Have, Not the Ones You Want
  • How am I Smart?: A Parent's Guide to Multiple Intelligences
  • Bringing Out the Best in People
  • Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
  • Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family's Triumph over Autism
  • The Baby Name Wizard: A Magical Method for Finding the Perfect Name for Your Baby
  • Divorce Poison