Start by marking “Market Bowl, The” as Want to Read:
Market Bowl, The

Market Bowl, The

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In this tale from Cameroon, Yoyo has to make amends when she offends Brother Coin, the Great Spirit of the Market, by asking too high a price for her bitterleaf stew. Includes a recipe for a version of bitterleaf stew.
Published February 1st 2013 by Charlesbridge Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Market Bowl, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Market Bowl, The

Pam
This book offers the opportunity to learn a little bit about Cameroon, including a few words in the language, while reading an entertaining tale! Beautiful, colorful illustrations bring the story to life. I loved the recipe at the end. The author actually lived in Cameroon and ate many bowls of bitterleaf stew!
Tasha
Mama Cecile taught Yoyo to make bitterleaf stew, the same stew they sold at the market. But Yoyo thought that the entire process took too long, so she took some shortcuts herself. Then she snuck her batch of stew along with them to the market. Mama Cecile warned Yoyo that they must always accept a fair price for their stew, otherwise Brother Coin, the Great Spirit of the Market, would remove his blessing from their bowl. After selling all of Mama Cecile’s stew, there was still one customer left, ...more
Amitha
Blogged this review here.

Another great book from Jim Averbeck. The Market Bowl is about a little girl named Yoyo living in modern day Cameroon. Everyday, Yoyo and Mama Cécile make ndolé --bitterleaf stew--for the market. But when Yoyo demands an unfair price for the bowl of stew she hastily slopped together by herself, Brother Coin puts a curse on their market bowl. Having learned her lesson, Yoyo must then figure out away to trick the Great Spirit of the Market into blessing the bowl again.

The
Lisa
YoYo believes she is big enough to help sell at the market, but she doesn't take time and care as she prepares the stew they sell. When her mother warns her about keeping reverence and her manners in the market YoYo chooses to ignore her mother. Now that they have fallen on hard times due to YoYo's careless disregard she realizes it is her responsibility to make things right. YoYo bravely goes to the cave where Brother Coin lives and she uses creativity to solve her problem. This Junior Library ...more
Krista
This is an African tale from the country of Cameroon. The story has beautiful illustrations and a pronunciation guide with definitions for some of the words.

In this traditional story a girl upsets the Great Spirit and loses the blessing on her market bowl. She must figure out how to get the blessing back. Recipe at the end for Bitterleaf Stew.
Lauren
This book was a great multicultural book on how some families in other countries make a living and how some of their beliefs/traditions may differ from ours here in the U.S
Barbara
Despite her mother's instructions about how to prepare bitterleaf stew, Yoyo thinks all those steps waste time. Despite the fact that the stew she prepares is less than delicious, she offends a customer when he offers to buy it at a reduced price at the Cameroon market. Her rudeness offens Brother Coin, the Great Spirit of the Market, and she must find a way to attone for her mistakes or else Yoyo and her mother will be unable to sell even the best-tasting stew. The acrylic and Photoshopped illu ...more
Christine
Young YoYo ignores her Mother's teaching for how to make the best Bitterleaf stew. She takes her poor rendition of her mother's stew to the market and offends the Great Spirit of the market, Brother Coin, when she refuses to take less for the stew. Young Yoyo must find a way to make the spirit happy or she and her mother will be cursed and won't sell any more stew at the market. Included at the end is a recipe for the stew that readers could replicate and try.
Marguarite Markley
When a little girl greedily refuses to accept a man's offer of ten-ten CFA for her stew, the market bowl loses the blessing of Brother Coin (the market god). What will little Yoyo do to get the blessing back so that her mother can sell her stew for money at the market again.

I really like the illustrations and the folk tale quality of this story. I will be telling teachers about this one!
Kathy Ellen Davis
I thought this was a great book!
Loved the story of the girl and her mother,
and how the girl ends up getting the blessing back on the bowl.

Very cool that it ties into the author/illustrator's life too,
and the recipe on the back would be perfect to make along with reading the book.

Cool illustrations.
I like the mixed media effect of using papers and acrylics.
Holly Thompson
I always love getting a little "taste" of African cultures and this book shares it. I just might try to make the bitter-leaf stew some day, and I definitely will be recommending this to two girls in my school are are from Cameroon.
Marcia
A folktale from Cameroon where a young girl learns to be humble and fair. Brightly illustrated, this is a nice multi-cultural title. Glossary and recipe for bitterleaf stew included.
Crystal Walker
A beautifully illustrated great story of a young fearless child who encounters humility and the process she takes to overcome it.
Jen
teaches a character lesson about doing your best and selling something for a fair price. includes non-English words.
Edward Sullivan
An entertaining tale set in contemporary Cameroon incorporating cultural and folk elements.
Liz
Cameroon folktale. Don't upset the market spirit. Recipe for bitterleaf stew, too.
Amanda Coppedge
Would be a great read-aloud or one-on-one read with children ages 5+.
Christine
Good book to contribute to multicultural aspect of classroom library.
Casey
Megan
Megan added it
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
I was born and raised in the suburbs of Cincinnati, Ohio, a beautiful city built, like Rome, on seven hills-wooded hills of oak, walnut, and maple where I and my childhood imagination ran wild.

I enjoy throwing myself into situations which give me an opportunity to explore and grow. I joined the Peace Corps in my late twenties and went to live in Cameroon in western Africa for almost four years. I
More about Jim Averbeck...
In a Blue Room except if Oh No, Little Dragon! A Hitch at the Fairmont One Word from Sophia