Start by marking “Truman: The Rise To Power” as Want to Read:
Truman: The Rise To Power

Truman: The Rise To Power

Published by McGraw-Hill Companies

To ask other readers questions about Truman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truman

Jim Gallen
May 27, 2015 Jim Gallen rated it really liked it
Harry Truman’s pre-presidential career usually is covered fairly quickly in his biographies but it is the sole focus of “Truman: The Rise To Power”. It covers the whole story from the Missouri frontier to school days, on the farm and through the War, the establishment and failure of his haberdashery and the beginnings of his political career up to the day of his presidential oath.

It is quite a saga with a few surprising twists. It is the story of a boy whose glasses kept him out of the rough and
Sam
May 29, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, local
The idea of writing a review of this book is daunting - I had to set it down for two months while I took a class, and it so informationally dense, that I'm certain I didn't retain enough to do it justice. So let me instead make some remarks which may prove useful.

This is a warts-and-all depiction of pre-presidential Truman. Being myself from Independence, I'd grown up with the standard image of the smiling, outgoing, little dynamo. Miller's depiction adds new dimension to our popular impression
Ray
Ray rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Gabe
Gabe rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2013
Rolland
Rolland rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2009
Mac Flanders
Mac Flanders rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2012
Paul
Paul added it
Jan 20, 2008
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2010