Paris Out of Hand: A Wayward Guide

Paris Out of Hand: A Wayward Guide

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  386 ratings  ·  20 reviews
From the author of The Transitive Vampire, comes an invitation to a strangely illuminated City of Light, Paris out of Hand. This seductively beautiful replica of a 19th-century travel book—replete with illustrations of sights you will never see and maps that may plummet you into a different era—guides readers through the Paris that is, that might be, and that never was. Am...more
Published August 1st 1996 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Paris Out of Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paris Out of Hand

Kelli
Apr 25, 2008 Kelli rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kelli by: Mom
Shelves: travel
Get ready to inhale Paris! This is a wonderfully perfect guidebook to Paris, by heart. In order to really appreciate it, you must approach with complete and reckless abandon...thus, solid preparation for your visit to the city of lights.

What other guidebook tells you about hotels that are open to both guests and their doppelgängers (Hotel Des Strangers)? Gives you an inside scoop into restaurants where the dishes are assembled by blindfolded chefs (Le Cadavre Exquis)? Or, suggests a good place...more
James
I picked this up at the library, mistakenly thinking it was a guide to obscure and offbeat Parisian sites and attractions. It is instead a satirical guide to the spirit of Paris, with a cultural, artistic, linguistic, and literary bent. The humor is mostly an homage to Surrealism and Absurdism.

When I read this I was not in the right frame of mind for it or indeed any other sort of humor book. Author Karen Elizabeth Gordon's jokes seem to me to be built on very thin premises, then stretched and d...more
Michael Rowley
My son lives in Paris and I bought this as a gift for him. It's beautifully designed with help from the guy who did the Griffin and Sabine books. Sadly, I was disappointed. It came across as arcane blurbs that were neither insightful nor entertaining.
Kathy
I found the book amusing, and I am a fan of Nick Bantock but didn't feel the need to read this whole book. I sort of skimmed around and that was enough.
Joan
Beautifully illustrated, imaginary guide to Paris; the written descriptions were just not all that appealing to me.
Stephanie
This isn’t a book you read from cover to cover. I picked it up from time to time over a few years. And what a pleasure to pick up it was—its deep red cloth cover, its heavy pages with rounded corners, its ornate endpapers, its lovely typography and period illustrations throughout in antique ink colors. The target market is the utterly impractical tourist, anyone fascinated by obscure symbols, absurd ideas, strange quotations, and clever wordplay. Amusement, not significance, was foremost in the...more
Lori Anderson
Aug 23, 2009 Lori Anderson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who want something different
Shelves: fantasy
I read this book many years ago because I was on a Nick Bantock kick and he helped illustrate this book.

The book is hilarious, with a dry-wit, tongue-in-cheek, irreverant at times sense of humor. It resembles a travel guide to Paris, but it's definitely not going to get you around the Paris anyone knows.

The book is broken down into sections, covering hotels, restaurants, nightlife, and the like. Hotels starts out with a key, and here is your first clue that the book is going to be a hoot. For...more
Rosminah
This was great fun to read through. I was living in England, already poking through used book shops for old Baedekers, and thinking about a trip to the mainland. I was dirt poor, but got this for myself as a little treat. It was one of those things that, because of the sacrifice and struggle to acquire, made it that much more valuable to have.
This is not the kind of book to read from front to back, it's a guide, so a page here and a page there are fine. So I picked away at it.
And I credit this...more
C-shaw
Aug 20, 2014 C-shaw is currently reading it
I really bought this book for my sister's birthday present, but decided to read it first. It was so disappointing that I didn't give it to her after all. Pooh. Good premise, bad follow-through, but nice illustrations.
Frances Sawaya
We took this to read while we were on one of our Paris trips: helped to not take the place too seriously! Funny and clever with great sketches by Nick Bantock (long a favourite of mine). For some reason I kept flashing on the Steinbeck novel with virtually the same concept.Off-road adventures might be best!
Kate
Oct 09, 2007 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Francophiles
Shelves: fiction, travel
This book is delightful if you know Paris at all. If you don't, then you may be confused or you may think it is non-fiction. Of course, if you do know Paris, you will certainly know that there is a lot of truth in some of the wonderful descriptions of fantasy hotels and restaurants.
Melanie
Very bizarre... its like Paris on an acid trip and I suspect this is a lot of "inside" jokes that I didn't get. But very cool like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. If you like Nick Bantock you will love the visuals.
Madelyn
The symbol for "excellent service" might be familiar to some, ooh la la. This book is hilarious and makes me actually interested in Paris (that's right, I'm not QUITE that type of intellectual)
Pewterbreath
This is the best flip through book there is. Interesting and clever--it is such an amusement. Meant to be in everyone's house. The book is also physically beautiful.
Linda
A travelers guide to Paris with alot of fascinating information. Great read even if you never plan to go to Paris.
Kate
Lovely, hilarious. If only some of the places in this book were real...!
Dylan Benito
This was a delightfully odd little book. I'm happy to have read it.
Jennifer Chin
Cute and quirky - don't use it as a real guide in Paris, though.
Sharon
An entertaining, surrealistic guide to the City of Lights.
Terrie
Awesome and different kind of wacky story!!!
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Giovanna Pires
Giovanna Pires marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Arjwan Al-otaibi
Arjwan Al-otaibi marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Laura Logsdon
Laura Logsdon marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
  • The Tattooed Map
  • The Forgetting Room: A Fiction
  • Le Road Trip: A Traveler's Journal of Love and France
  • The journey is the destination : the journals of Dan Eldon
  • Taking Things Seriously: 75 Objects with Unexpected Significance
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera
  • Joseph Cornell: Master of Dreams
  • Get Thee to a Punnery: An Anthology of Intentional Assaults Upon the English Language
  • French or Foe?: Getting the Most Out of Visiting, Living and Working in France
  • Paris in the Fifties
  • Nonsense Novels
  • Maldoror and Poems (Penguin Classics)
Karen Elizabeth Gordon, who is most well-known for her comic language handbooks The New Well-Tempered Sentence and The Deluxe Transitive Vampire, is also author to a collection of short stories published by Dalkey Archive Press. The Red Shoes and Other Tattered Tales was hailed by many critics as Rabelaisian in its humor.

Gordon resides alternately in Berkeley, California and Paris.

from http://www....more
More about Karen Elizabeth Gordon...
The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: A Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager and the Doomed The New Well Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed The Disheveled Dictionary: A Curious Caper Through Our Sumptuous Lexicon Torn Wings and Faux Pas: A Flashbook of Style, a Beastly Guide Through the Writer's Labyrinth Out of the Loud Hound of Darkness: A Dictionarrative