Start by marking “The Rayner-Slade Amalgamation” as Want to Read:
The Rayner-Slade Amalgamation

Read Book* *Different edition

The Rayner-Slade Amalgamation

"Queer!" he repeated as he marched up and down. "Perhaps he's not --" The quiet opening of a door close by made him lift his eyes from the carpet. In the dim light he saw a man looking out upon him -- a man of an unusually thick crop of hair and with a huge beard. He stared at Allerdyke half angrily, half sulkily; then he closed his door as quietly as he had opened it. And ...more
Published September 8th 2009 by Book Jungle (first published 1917)

To ask other readers questions about The Rayner-Slade Amalgamation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rayner-Slade Amalgamation

Julia
Aug 08, 2016 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have recently been reading as many J.S.Fletcher novels as I can get my hands on. He was quite prolific, and his murder mysteries are very good. This one was first published in 1917, but it didn't quite come up to Fletcher's usual quality, though it was still interesting. It simply got quite confusing with too many characters, and there was over much emphasis on people telling what happened and how, rather than letting us see it happen. I listened to this as a free audio download from LibriVox. ...more
Dave Holcomb
Mar 26, 2014 Dave Holcomb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although some aspects of Fletcher's novels are rather dated -- the sloppy police procedures, the way the wealthy protagonists waltz in and out of investigations, the relentless drive toward a romance between at least one male and one female in every book -- the stories are still well-written, and the intricate plots are challenging while still remaining plausible. I you enjoy a unravelling a tangled web, Fletcher is worth a look, and this is a good sample of his work.
Kathy
Jul 13, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this story 3-1/2 stars. It was a great Fletcher mystery--right up to the very end, and then it just seemed to fall apart! I really enjoyed the story almost all along. There were twists and turns, interesting characters, great story-telling. But the ending was a let-down. Threads were left hanging. The obligatory romance popped up with no forewarning. Disappointing ending.
John
May 01, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with one of the earlier reviewers in that it went along nicely until near the end but then there were unanswered questions and a rather sudden and unsatisfactory ending. It would give the game away to say what they were. Having said all that, I still enjoyed it as I usually do with Fletcher. Not one of his best but not that bad either especially as it was a free download.
Leah
May 25, 2008 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another fun Fletcher book. Good when you want one of the early mysteries. (Scotland)
Joan Thompson
Apr 03, 2011 Joan Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worthwhile reading. Another interesting mystery from JS Fletcher
Jack
Jun 09, 2013 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complex murder mystery in the classic style of the time.
Jim
May 12, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't like a good Fletcher mystery.
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Nate Nygren
Nate Nygren rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Rika Thompson
Rika Thompson marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Phil Clymer
Phil Clymer rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
tami burden
tami burden rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Debra Hostetler
Debra Hostetler marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Ethel the Read It
Ethel the Read It marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Jane Watson
Jane Watson rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Margaret Batchelder
Margaret Batchelder rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Alan J
Alan J rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Ida
Ida marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
1462007
Joseph Smith Fletcher was a British journalist, writer, and fellow of the Royal Historical Society. He studied law before turning to journalism.

His literary career spanned approximately 200 books on a wide variety of subjects including fiction, non-fiction, histories, historical fiction, and mysteries. He was known as one of the leading writers of detective fiction in the Golden Age .
More about J.S. Fletcher...