Start by marking “The Hip Mama Survival Guide: Advice from the Trenches on Pregnancy, Childbirth, Cool Names, Clueless Doctors, Potty Training, and Toddler Avengers” as Want to Read:

The Hip Mama Survival Guide: Advice from the Trenches on Pregnancy, Childbirth, Cool Names, Clueless Doctors, Potty Training, and Toddler Avengers (Hip Mama)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  306 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
"The Gen-X Dr. Spock" and the founder of Hip Mama: The Parenting 'Zine gives readers advice from the trenches on pregnancy, childbirth, cool names, clueless doctors, potty training, domestic mayhem, right-wing losers, the evil patriarchy, nervous breakdowns, and way more. Line drawings.
Published May 1st 1998 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hip Mama Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hip Mama Survival Guide

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Jezebel's Books All Women Should Read
354th out of 622 books — 1,202 voters
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May GaskinThe Baby Book by William SearsThe Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci GoerWhat to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi MurkoffSpiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
Books for Expectant Parents
148th out of 189 books — 130 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
Oct 25, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-moms
I have been spending entirely too much time checking the blogs of perfect blissed-out hippy women who become wealthy from people following along on their bliss about life, motherhood and crafts. Lisa, get a life and come back to planet earth. The Hip Mama Survival Guide rocked. This chick ROCKS!!!! Crafts are good I guess but I'm not so sure crafts are really that important if, for example, you're a single mom, a working mom, or just a mom spending your nights on the internet trying to figure ou ...more
Jackie
Jan 19, 2008 Jackie rated it really liked it
This book was one of the first books I bought on parenting. I got it at a feminist bookstore in Toledo, Ohio, right after I found out I was pregnant, and it was absolutely the right book for me to buy at that point in my life! It's not your traditional parenting book, for sure, but for me, it was perfect-- there's an optimism throughout the book that even if you're not settled down behind a white picket fence, you too can be a really great (and hip) mama.
Melissa
Jul 29, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-studies
One of the funniest most spot-on books about parenting out there. when I was a young mum I couldn't abide all the judgmental books (Mommy is never OK.) nor the scare-mongering ones. And those make up at least 95% of all child-rearing books published. Ariel Gore is the exception to the parenting book pack. She is funny and straightforward but still loving in her approach to modern family life. I often give this book to first time parents. Super!
Anastasia
Apr 08, 2011 Anastasia rated it really liked it
I have always wondered what people think when they see me with the girls. I hope they see a confident hip mama who has everything under control. But really they probably see me as I am. Barely contained frustration, frazzled mom with the dirty kids. Or maybe they think I'm the nanny?

I use to worry about it a lot more, I use to think people would think I was a bad mom. But I've learned that everyone has those moments. The kid whose been potty trained for over a year, out of nowhere has an acciden
Marin
Feb 03, 2008 Marin rated it liked it
There aren't very many parenting books that make me laugh out loud, but this book is totally funny. It also served to help me feel relaxed and empowered with my status as a mother and a non-perfect human being. This is something I can always use.

Still, I don't think I fit into the intended audience for this book. It was intended as a guide for nontraditional moms or moms-to-be who feel alone in a world of traditional families. There are tons of those moms, and I'm really glad that this book was
HeavyReader
Jun 09, 2008 HeavyReader rated it liked it
Recommends it for: pregnant women, parents
I gave a copy of this book to my sister when my nephew was little, and I read it too.

My favorite parts were as list of "music to divorce by" and the advice that if anyone gives a mamma a dirty look for nursing her toddler in public, she should "squirt 'em in the eye."

This book is sassy and spunky and cool. Do your breeder friends a favor and give them a copy of this book.

The following it the review that I wrote for the September/October 1998 issue of the Minnesota Social Responsibility Round Tab
Michelle
Jun 02, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Even though this book was written in the 90's and all of the resources have phone numbers--because the internet basically didn't exist then--WHAT? The writing is still dead on and not dated at all. I was pregnant and totally overwhelmed by the amount of information that was being given to me, and this book and Your Mama Wears Combat Boots were the only two parenting books that spoke to me at all about what reality actually was going to be like as a new mother. These two books were the only ones ...more
Denise
Dec 19, 2007 Denise rated it really liked it
So far I've only gotten through the chapters on birth and toddler-hood. I'm pleasantly surprised so far, because I was kind of put off by the plucky-but-scary-single-poor-mom vibe in the introduction (there's a little calendar in the front that has notations like "kids throw playdoh on ceiling. receive 48-hour notice for electricity shutoff."). I had to resolve to myself that if this book made me feel like having a kid was going to be this constant battle between delivering meaning to my life an ...more
Terri
Jan 20, 2009 Terri rated it did not like it
I didn't read all the sections in this book because either they didn't apply to me, or I had already experienced that aspect of pregnancy/parenting already and just didn't feel the need to read or revisit. Overall poor writing, really dated references, and the "expert moms" interview sections were neither inspiring or interesting to me. A few chapters were okay ("Finding Your Village" and "Beauty and the Gender Beast") but these days one can find entire books or online resources which are more r ...more
Ryan Mishap
Aug 21, 2008 Ryan Mishap rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-writing
What am I doing reading this? Ask me why I’ve read any number of things—because I like to learn about others and their experiences, even if I could never or will never have them. I won’t ever have kids, but this book was mostly awesome to read. Very little nonsense guide to pregnancy, coping, dealing with right-wingers, and much more. Recommended, especially for those who have or are about to have kids—or are maybe thinking about it.
Sarah Jane
Aug 22, 2007 Sarah Jane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: haveread, favorites
Ariel Gore is a dream boat, and this book is fantastic. She chronicles her moments through being a (hip) mom and examining things such as: patriarchy, sexism, racism, gender, capitalism, etc...and its all with some form of humor. She speaks from the experience of being a single mom and being supported by her community. It's one of my favorites to give to new-mom's as a different/less traditional example of motherhood.
jess
May 13, 2008 jess rated it liked it
Shelves: ladyish, 2008
I like Ariel Gore's fiction better than I like a lot of the hip mama stuff. I feel like this was an interesting read, but it probably won't end up on my shelf of fave books. The book is ten years old, and it reads like it. The world is a little different now, but a lot of the anecdotal sections are still valuable if you are the type to read out loud to your partner, which I am.
Anne
Mar 21, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it
Ariel's voice is very straightforward, but humorous at the same time. Sometimes the anarchy/protest/screw all conservatives gets a bit much at times, but then again, you can tell that her anger stems from policies and experiences that aren't always in the best interests of families and kids. A good antidote to supermom-type attitudes.
Lee
Mar 12, 2008 Lee rated it really liked it
Thank you, Chanda!

This book rocks my mama world. It is sharp, witty, full of anecdotes, and has helped balance out my post-partum crazies. I recommend it to any new mother who is feeling overwhelmed by what this all really means and who doesn't feel comfortable falling in with the mainstream mama crowd.
Mad
May 23, 2011 Mad rated it it was ok
I was excited that this book was recommended by the gang at Offbeatmamma.com but I could barely make it past the first chapter, it was badly written, hard to follow, the advice was outdated and at times truly odd.

Would not recommend it to anyone wanting any kind of strong advice about pregnancy
Landismom
Jan 26, 2008 Landismom rated it really liked it
Wish I had read this earlier in my career as a parent. Most, but not all, of her advice is pitched to het women, and her advice for family law disputes is clearly grounded in a negative experience.

Still, it's a valuable perspective on how to raise your kids in a non-traditional environment.
Ruby
Aug 28, 2007 Ruby rated it really liked it
Shelves: maternal-health
i've only screened this book, but it looks pretty good. i like her attitude, despite her blanket hatred of republicans. she claims to want to "support" rather than "advise" with her guide. that seems a a good approach. useful for pregnancy on.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
This is the first baby/parenting book I read cover to cover. It was a great introduction to what motherhood might be like, even for someone who once thought she would never want kids! I highly recommend it to anyone considering having a baby.
Ami
May 30, 2012 Ami rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Eh. Feels a bit dated already (late 90s), due to the "edgy" voice that reads a lot like a Michelle Goodman book from Seal Press. Not a lot of new takeaways, but might have been a good primer, if it was the first book I ran into with these concepts.
Shannon
Jul 18, 2008 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Great for helping single moms feel less "othered." Yeah, whatever your story, this author has heard it or lived it and helps readers to see how to get through it, not necessarily with a smile, but perhaps with less of a frown. I loved this book!
shana
Jan 05, 2014 shana rated it it was ok
Hmm.. I've always really liked Ariel Gore, but this wasn't for me. It's just too dated. Also contains some really bad advice about bouncing checks on purpose and lying to get free meals in restaurants.
Cristina
Apr 28, 2012 Cristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
Another gorilla rebel parenting book that I chose to read instead of blather from scientists conducting studies on herds of children. I found this much more compelling, entertaining and practical.
Kara Owens
Oct 13, 2008 Kara Owens is currently reading it
Shelves: mama-and-baby
Another one that gives a leg-up on anti-Joan Crawford / anti-"Family Values" parenting with a lot of warmth, humor, and open-mindedness for families of all shapes, color and sizes!
Leah
Nov 04, 2008 Leah rated it it was amazing
The Hip Mama Survival Guide : Advice from the Trenches on Pregnancy, Childbirth, Cool Names, Clueless Doctors, Potty Training and Toddler Avengers by Ariel Gore (1998)
Autumn
Dec 29, 2009 Autumn rated it really liked it
This is a great book for anyone not following the traditional pregnancy path, especially single mothers. Way better than what to expect (but what isn't?)
Amy
May 23, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
by far the best book i read when i was pregnant. F*CK what to expect when you're expecting (even though i read that, too), this is the real deal.
Elizabeth Weltin
Oct 09, 2009 Elizabeth Weltin rated it it was ok
I think I'm just not that hip. This book just wasn't for my lifestyle but I can see it being good for those with a more alternative lifestyle.
Morgan
Nov 03, 2007 Morgan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: new or expecting mommies
A hilarious look at childbirth and parenting, including how to write a bad check and following your dreams while chasing your munchkins.
Michelle
Jan 07, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
The story of the birth of Maia is simultaneously one of the most scary, hilarious, and memorable stories I've read.
LM Yellow
Jun 21, 2012 LM Yellow rated it did not like it
This just wasn't me. I was expecting a sort of chick lit style guide mama version. Anyone know of something like that?
  • My Mother Wears Combat Boots: A Parenting Guide for the Rest of Us
  • Mothering Magazine's Having a Baby, Naturally: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • The Pregnancy Book: A Month-By-Month Guide Tag: Everythg. You Need to Know from America'S..
  • Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)
  • Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation
  • Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth
  • Heart and Hands: A Midwife's Guide to Pregnancy and Birth
  • The Big Rumpus: A Mother's Tale from the Trenches
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • Having Faith
  • How Poetry Saved My Life: A Hustler's Memoir
  • Confessions of the Other Mother: Nonbiological Lesbian Moms Tell All!
  • Fresh Milk: The Secret Life of Breasts
  • Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent
  • The Mother Dance: How Children Change Your Life
  • Get Up: A 12-Step Guide to Recovery for Misfits, Freaks, and Weirdos
  • On the Justice of Roosting Chickens: Consequences of American Conquest & Carnage
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
ARIEL GORE is the author of numerous books on parenting, the novel The Traveling Death and Resurrection Show, the memoir Atlas of the Human Heart, and the writer’s guide How to Become a Famous Writer Before You’re Dead. Farrar, Straus and Giroux will publish Bluebird: Women and the New Psychology of Happiness in January 2010.
More about Ariel Gore...