Start by marking “The Alphabet Book (Bright & Early Board Books)” as Want to Read:
The Alphabet Book (Bright & Early Board Books)

The Alphabet Book (Bright & Early Board Books)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  431 ratings  ·  24 reviews
From American ants to zebras with zithers, kids will love exploring the alphabet in this classically creative P. D. Eastman alphabet book.
Board Book, 24 pages
Published September 26th 2000 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Alphabet Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alphabet Book

Voracious_reader
Fun book for a young child learning the alphabet. Some of it is a bit dated. Our two year old really enjoys it. The words included are quite easy. Lots of animals/pictures of animals are included and keep a young child's attention.
Genre-Children's book-Alphabet
This book is filled with fun pictures and phrases of the alphabet.
A. Area for comment is relationship between illustration and words
B. Most likely this type of book wil be for Pre-K and Kindergarten so the less detail going on than the better it is for their understanding. I think the phrase for each letter match the picture precisely which helps the child to easily connect words with pictures.
C. For example, on page 5 for the letter E there is a picture of an ele...more
Dorothy Towslee
"My favorite is the queen with a quarter!"
Cori Brown
A book with cute illustrations that defiantly catch a child attention. A great book to teach kids they're alphabet.
Mckinley
Love his illustration style.
Allison
I remember enjoying this book when I was learning the alphabet and I loved that it was illustrated and written similarly to Dr. Seuss' books. It is a pretty standard books with the letter presented and then a few words that start with the letter. It is an alphabet book, obviously, and appropriate for ages 3 and up. I know some don't enjoy that Xmas is used to represent the letter X but I find it creative and it works for me! It's certainly not a deal breaker.
Mary
Every letter is portrayed by an animal that also has an item beginning with the letter. The book has a good format with clear illustrations outlined in black. There is a little cheating with I for infant, and the lion holding the lamb and winking was a little spooky. But then it was nine in their nests for N, queen for Q and umpire for U. So the theme was blown before they even got to X (a xylophone for Xmas – oh no).
Rebecca Campbell
This is one of my daughter's books and I have it memorized because she always picks it up and makes a little noise and hands it to me, which means, read this to me! It isn't too long as to lose her attention, and it also has pictures of animals. She likes animals so we can talk about the different animals pictured as well. Comes in a board book which I recommend.
Sandi
Cute illustrations make this outdated (and a bit politically incorrect) book a fun read. After all, when learning the letter "Q," what's more memorable than a queen with a quarter? Concepts may be hard for some of the little ones to grasp/read, but the alphabet guide on each page is a nice touch.
Seth
PB:29 The Alphabet Book. I really enjoyed the fact that each page contained two words that started with the particular letter as well as having a picture of both words. Great way to show children words that go with the letters of the alphabet.
Becky
I'm sure I read this as a kid, but I don't remember it (though I do remember the cover). I read this with one of my students yesterday and we had fun reading it and then asking silly questions about the animals doing rather silly things.
Shanshad Whelan
Read this to my son and realize the whole thing is painfully dated, some of the items are simply not well drawn and it's a pretty terrible alphabet book. Nostalgia aside, this just doesn't do it for me any longer!
Breana Vining
This book teaches the alphabet. It is good for toddlers and for those who may be struggling with the alphabet upon entering pre-k and kindergarten.
Kirei
Apr 17, 2008 Kirei rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: babies/toddlers
Shelves: younger-kids
Good book, except it annoys me that it leaves out articles. For example, it says, "Horse on house" rather than "Horse on a house"
Katie Beck
This is a good book to read to children to teach them about words that match the letters of the alphabet.
Alicia
Very cute illustrations. I didn't like the X one though (Xmas should not be the chosen word for X.)
Rebecca
Alphabet books seem to go on and on. First the letter than the item that begins with that letter. *Yawn*
Theresa
a hilarious use of pictures and events to teach the alphabet based on doctor suess
Aaron
Liz
Good for beginning to recognize words and identify letter sounds.
Rae Anne
This book actually makes cole laugh when he gets to the letter "H".
Jeffrey
Like most P.D. Eastman stories, solid but unspectacular.
Heather
This is another alphabet book, and its ok.
Sylvester
  • Peter and the Wolf
  • Five Little Monkeys Bake a Birthday Cake
  • We All Went On Safari
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • Where Is Baby's Pumpkin?
  • First 100 Words
  • Wheels on the Bus
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs!
  • Oops! A Diaper David Book
  • I'm a Big Sister
  • Stop, Train, Stop! a Thomas the Tank Engine Story (Thomas & Friends)
  • Rattletrap Car
  • The Berenstain Bears' Home Sweet Tree
Philip Dey "Phil" Eastman was an American screenwriter, children's author, and illustrator. As an author, he is known primarily as P. D. Eastman. A protégé of Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), Eastman wrote many books for children, in his own distinct style under the Dr. Seuss brand of Random House, many of which were in the Beginner Books series.

From 1936 to 1941, Eastman worked at the story departmen...more
More about P.D. Eastman...
Are You My Mother? Go, Dog. Go! The Best Nest Sam and the Firefly Big Dog...Little Dog