Start by marking “Amiel's Journal” as Want to Read:
Amiel's Journal

Amiel's Journal

This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published October 22nd 2008 by Book Jungle (first published 1884)

To ask other readers questions about Amiel's Journal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amiel's Journal

Jan 16, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
I have completed my journey with Henri. I was a little sad to lose him. Of course technically he died over 100 years ago and I could just start over at the beginning...maybe someday I will. It is not an easy read and it took me a long time to get through it but I feel my life a little enriched because I was able to get to know this sad but insightful man through his journals.

As all of my facebook friends know, as Henri and I traveled together on the El everyday, I sometimes found his quotes so
Sep 16, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book took months, yet it only has 236 pages! Why did it take so long? Well, I had to stop after almost every journal entry and allow myself some reflection time. He taught philosophy and aesthetics in the mid-1800s. His journal covers literature (hates Victor Hugo), music, religion, ethics, weather, educational practices,child rearing, friendship, death, Facebook stalking and so much more. Despite the age of the book, it remains relevant. I will probably re-read it, or at least the ...more
What an odd book-- Henri-Frédéric Amiel is one of those minds who's remarkably difficult to pin down. Deeply religious, but ultimately skeptical; aristocratic in spirit, but grudgingly realistic to know that democracy is the only way forward for a society; admiring of science, but simultaneously recognizing the dangers of positivism; and a lifelong conservative Protestant who as he got older began to embrace socialist and Buddhist thinking, and someone who, in his own way, seemed to be lighting ...more
Larry Hansen
This is a very enjoyable read if you are one who likes to examine life. Also, a slow read.
The journal was filled with insightful aphorisms about truth, society, and life in general. Amiel was torn between living an introverted, mystical-philosophical life and a outward, productive one. He chose the former but seemed guilt-ridden for not pursuing the latter. His thought was religious and, fortunately, in a very open-minded way as he talked about following God's will in a Christian way but still d
Mar 29, 2008 Sluggo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This man had so many interesting things to say about such a WIDE variety of subjects, he was truly amazing. Unfortunately this was the "woe is me" bane of his life- he despaired that he was never able to let himself focus on ONE thing, and so never gained the fame and wealth he could have had. Thank God he didn't. This book was an international best-seller at the time it was published, after his death. Now, of course, you can't find it in a library.
Jul 26, 2011 Sunny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
philosophical book/journal by this unheard of legend. behind nietzsche and emerson one fo teh most interesting collection of philosophical musings i have ever read. there is literally something philospically engaging/questionning on every other page that gets themind pondering and thinking! highly highly recommended if you want a well written philosophy read.
Oct 04, 2013 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too dark and depressing for me especially struggling with my own issues at the time. His critiques of other works is also not useful to me since I have no idea who most of those people or works were. It's also sad that people died of easily treated diseases before modern times. Had Amiel lived today he would have had some antibiotics and been fine.
Scott Harris
The gems in this long journal are brilliant but overall it is a meandering text of personal reflections. In some ways, Amiel's reflections are so intellectual and reflective that his life and experiences are obscured.
May 05, 2011 Matty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies, owned

In between large chunks of convoluted digressions in a huge variety of topics he shares his - usually morose poetic - opinion on, you get a few insights of wisdom. I couldn't make it past the 172nd page, it's too dry a read.
May 12, 2009 Walter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like Paul Klee, this man from the land of bank accounts that are anonymous save the face, writes a great journal.
Chris H.
Jun 23, 2009 Chris H. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Philosophical and timeless. A difficult read but well worth it. Taking my time and letting it sink in. ch
Mohammed Al-Farsi
Mohammed Al-Farsi rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Tom Mc
Tom Mc rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
S/K rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2007
Karin rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2016
Justin Benz
Justin Benz rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Mike Rot
Mike Rot rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Kurt rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2013
Abhishek rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2015
Rodrigo Curicó Fernández
Rodrigo Curicó Fernández rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2016
Raddydaddy rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2013
Glenn Balverde
Glenn Balverde rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Bellarmin rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2014
Cezar Paul-Badescu
Cezar Paul-Badescu rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2012
John rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Rajib Ghosh
Rajib Ghosh rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2015
Cage rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2014
Lucía rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Aniela Condori
Aniela Condori rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Diary of Alice James
  • Brief Lives
  • Journals, 1889-1949 (Penguin Modern Classics)
  • Journal of Katherine Mansfield
  • The Age of the Cathedrals: Art and Society, 980-1420
  • The Purple Land
  • The Golem
  • The Letters of the Younger Pliny
  • An Angel at my Table (Autobiography, #1-3)
  • Journal of a Solitude
  • Frozen Desire: The Meaning of Money
  • The Autobiography Of Benvenuto Cellini
  • Pentimento
  • The Autobiography: Truth and poetry: from my own life

“Life is short and we never have enough time for the hearts of those who travel the way with us. O, be swift to love! Make haste to be kind.” 97 likes
“The man who has no inner life is the slave of his surroundings.” 34 likes