Start by marking “Highland Vampire (MacNachton Vampires, #2)” as Want to Read:
Highland Vampire (MacNachton Vampires, #2)

Highland Vampire (MacNachton Vampires #2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,037 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews

Let these seductive tales of everlasting romance transport you to a world where the most dangerous desires awaken after dark...

Hannah Howell - Highland Vampire (MacNachton Vampires #2)

Seeking the truth of his tortured heritage at court, Jankyn McNachton finds something he never expected - true desire. Efrica Callan is beautiful, innocent, and possessed of a courageous

Mass Market Paperback, 335 pages
Published September 1st 2006 by Zebra (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Highland Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Vampire

Laura the Highland Hussy
Sep 08, 2010 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it really liked it
Shelves: highlander-books
"His Eternal Bride"-4 stars
awesome story about a Highland warrior who unwittingly attracts the attention of a female vampire-she takes him from his new wife on their wedding night, and turns him, but his wife gets blamed and banished for his murder, and subsequent rising from the grave.
Callum then searches for his beloved until he finds her in exile, and turns her.

"To Tame the Beast"-4 stars
great short about a vengeance obsessed vampire who takes the eldest daughter of the clan that wronged him
Beth F.
Highlanders AND vampires?

I thought this would have been an automatic win for me based on the title alone. Unfortanately, that just wasn't the case.

The first story, Kiss of the Vampire was dreadful.

The Scottish burr in the first story was one of the most awkward things I've read in a long time. The most uncomfortable example was use of the word "mon" for "man."

What is this, Jamaica? Ugh. Total fail.

The third story, To Tame the Beast was also pretty lame.

However, the second story, His Eternal B
Netanella
May 04, 2009 Netanella rated it really liked it
"Kiss of the Vampire," by Hannah Howell is a 2-star read. Highly disappointed in it, actually, especially since this author is headlining the anthology. The characters were flat, the idea of the vampire clan of McNaughtons living in caves ludicrous, the feline ancestry of the female lead, the horrible in-your-face Scottish accents. I was glad when it ended.

"His Eternal Bride" by Adrienne Basso is well worth 5-stars, particularly when I had to pull the tissues out at a particularly poignant scene
Jocelin
I purchased this book because I was interested in reading a story by Hannah Howell. Anthologies are a good way to get an idea of the author and their writing. Sadly, I was not impressed. The story by Hannah Howell was just okay. I did enjoy the story by Adrienne Bass "The Eternal Bride". I think one of the big problems for me was the dialogue in Hannah's story. I know that she was trying to represent the language of the day, but it just kept interfering with my enjoyment of the novel. The second ...more
Kazel  Mae
May 25, 2015 Kazel Mae rated it it was ok
3rd story tho
Kathy
Eskimo Princess Jenkins
I have some thoughts on the first story, but not much on the others. However, you wouldn't really know that there are actual vampires in the stories. Other than they can't be out in sunlight, they are just called a beast or such.

About Kiss of the Vampire:
I couldn't tell if Janklyn is a vamp or werewolf. Comments were made about "wolf eyes" yet he couldn't be out in the sun.

Overall, the book was pretty decent. Not a favorite, but I would recommend it.
Abby Helstrip
Feb 18, 2011 Abby Helstrip rated it liked it
This book as you may guess comes in three stories. The first one is by Hannah Howell and its called Kiss of the Vampire. As you may guess these stories do consist of vampire, which i didnt know. Joking, of course, the title does give it an way.

Ive only read the first title, and already im being a critic. Nothing never changes! hha.

I do, I do love Hannah Howells books they are amazing, but its the names. where do you get these names from?

Main characters names in this book are Efrica Callan and Ja
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
Adrienne's story was very origial and that is always a plus in my book. I do wish she would have extracted some revenge on the idiotic villagers that condemed her and her mother to live shunned in such a dismal hut. It certainly was not her fault that her husband had died on their wedding night by a jealous vampire. I did like how she was happy to spend time with him later even though she though he was just a fragment of her imagination. soo good and a happy ending to boot :) I kind of wonder wh ...more
Cherie
Oct 28, 2012 Cherie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
My third time reading this. The reason? I'm hooked on Hannah Howell's MacNachtons. This one is the story of Jankyn and Efrica. Jankyn is drop dead gorgeous and has a charm ladies cannot seem to resist. I liked getting even more information about this most interesting family. Enjoy.

The second story is from an author who is new to me. At first I thought I was going to be disappointed because it seemed the hero wasn't going to end up with the woman he was marrying. He is murdered on their wedding n
Kathrynn
There are three short stories here and they were okay to read.

"Kiss of the Vampire," by Howell
- Jankyn McNachton has a relative in a sequel. FYI

"His Eternal Bride" by Basso
- Maeve is accused of murdering her husband and is BANISHED (with her mother) to a tower by the sea. Her husband was turned into a vampire and has been off having "woo-hoo" with his turner. Poor Maeve's mother dies and after a period of time, her vampire husband begins stalking her at night. Actually, as silly as this sound
Catherine
3 novellas. I liked them all. The 1st was a little diluted. Felt like there was much potential but missed the mark. A lot of unanswered questions and things were rushed over. It would make a great full length novel with nothing rushed over.
The other 2 stories I liked much better. Much more depth to them in their shortness. Glad I read this book.
JP
Jun 03, 2012 JP rated it really liked it
Shelves: unsurr
It's been a while since I finished reading this book and since I couldn't remember anymore I decided to re-read it. This time around it's even better than the first time around. I'm so happy about that.
All three stories from all the different authors are really great. I especially enjoyed the Deborah Raleigh.
Bridget
Jul 15, 2011 Bridget rated it liked it
Hannah Howell's short about Jankyn McNachton and Efrica Callan in "Kiss of the Vampire" was fun to read and a continuation of the Highland Vampire series. Adrianne Basso's "His Eternal Bride" was less satisfying. Just didn't get the story. "To Tame the Beast" by Deborah Raleigh was better, and more fantasy like. Would not ready any of them twice.
Carrie Felton
Aug 25, 2013 Carrie Felton rated it really liked it
Hannah Howell's story lived up to my expectations. A great story that just continues the MacNachton Vampires Series perfectly. Loved it 5 stars.

Raliegh's story was wonderful. I loved it. A twist on the whole vampire idea but very well done. 5 stars

Basso's story, i didn't like as much. It was odd and hard to follow at the beginning. I didn't enjoy it as much as the others. 3 stars
Donna
Aug 04, 2014 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: uf-pnr, anthology, 2014
Kiss of the Vampire - Hannah Howell

Very entertaining. Howell did a great job, even in this shorter format, of creating two well-drawn main characters. A great mix of romance and some suspense. Starting to really enjoy the MacNachton Vampires series.
Shannon
A great book filled with three fantastic stories of vampires and their lovers. Wish they were full books, and that's why I'm rating it a 4, because they really could have stretched the first one out if they wanted to.
Denice
Jun 08, 2012 Denice rated it it was amazing
Kiss of the Vampire
This was really good... I just wish Jankyn was not shy just and did not give up easily...

His Eternal Bride
This story made me cry... Maev's story was really touching...

To Tame the Beast
This story was good... I really admire Isobella's courage and love for her sister...
Kathrynn
This is the exact same book as Highland Vampire in smaller mass market paperback. This one is was printed in September 2005.

Unfortunately, because the cover and size are so different in comparison, I bought both versions.
Shawna Taylor
Jan 29, 2009 Shawna Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only read the story by Hannah Howell and liked it very much! This short story is a continuation on characters that were introduced in the book The Eternal Highlander by Hannah Howell and Lynsay Sands which is also a great read by the way.
Karry
May 30, 2016 Karry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Hannah Howell

I am only reviewing Highland Vampire. It's the only series I'm reading. I absolutely adored this book! It was a fast read, but it had so much information and storyline it didn't feel short. Great book!
Jenny
Nov 11, 2011 Jenny rated it it was ok
These 3 short stories weren't bad for short love stories about vampire lovers. Not my favorite type of book. I'm not too fond of short stories. I just start enjoying the story and it ends.
Tammy
Mar 03, 2016 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read

As always I can't put down one of Hannah's books you should give her a try it is great try
Olivia
Sep 17, 2008 Olivia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Well... this was sexier than what I was expecting.
Tam
Mar 14, 2015 Tam added it
I loved it I would love to re read it
Lana
Apr 22, 2016 Lana rated it liked it
Kiss of the Vampire** by Hannah Howell, His Eternal Bride*** by Adrienne Basso, To Tame the Beast*** by Deborah Raleigh
Stacie
Sep 13, 2008 Stacie added it
This is book with three short stories about vampires and their lovers. A quick read that is pretty decent.
Nov 10, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
HAWT book!!! Nice but a little too short for my taste!
Dcf260
Dec 08, 2011 Dcf260 rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires, historical
I really enjoyed the first story. It gets 5 stars. The other two stories were not what I enjoy although they were very well done. They get 2 stars.
Angie
May 19, 2010 Angie rated it it was ok
This book was three separate stories. The first two were okay but the last one was good. The last story is how it got 3 stars from me.
  • Highland Hearts
  • One Snowy Knight (The Dragons of Challon, #3)
  • Highlander Unmasked (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #2)
  • My Immortal Protector (MacDonell Brides #4)
  • The Brat
  • Highland Guardian (Daughters of the Glen, #2)
  • Moon Fever (Includes: Primes, #6.5)
  • A Joyous Season
  • The Hunter's Prey: Erotic Tales of Texas Vampires
  • Highlander Ever After (Nvengaria #3)
  • Until the Knight Comes (MacKenzie, #4)
  • The Highlander (Medieval Warriors Trilogy, #3)
  • The Vampire Who Loved Me (Cabot, #2)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin
More about Hannah Howell...

MacNachton Vampires (9 books)
  • The Eternal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires #1)
  • My Immortal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires, #3)
  • Highland Thirst (MacNachton Vampires, #4)
  • Nature Of The Beast (MacNachton Vampires, #5)
  • Highland Beast (MacNachton Vampires, #6)
  • Yours For Eternity (MacNachton Vampires, #7; Guardians of Eternity, #7.5)
  • Highland Hunger (MacNachton Vampires, #8) (Knights, #0.6)
  • Born to Bite (MacNachton Vampires, #9)