Start by marking “The Jack Tales” as Want to Read:
The Jack Tales

The Jack Tales

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  211 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A collection of folk tales from the southern Appalachians that center on a single character, the irrepressible Jack.
Published September 9th 1943 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about The Jack Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jack Tales

Werner
Apr 02, 2015 Werner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in folk tales, or in Appalachian culture
Shelves: folklore, books-i-own
As kids, most Americans are exposed, at one time or another, to a retelling of the tale of Jack and the Beanstalk. Some Americans are vaguely aware that this is a very old story, going back several centuries at least. But most modern people really know very little about the rich oral tradition of folk tales (in the world in general, or specifically those from northern Europe, from which that story comes), and in particular have no idea that this same Jack is actually the hero of several stories ...more
Gary
Jul 11, 2009 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
During my last 30 years as an elderhostel instructor, this book has been a primary resource. Chase 'collected' most of his stories directly from mountain folks, and he completed this collection at a very significant time. The oral tradition was fading, primarily because no one told stories to the family after the advent of TV. Consequently, when Chase began his collection of old traditional Jack tales, the stories were already fading from the memories of Applachia's elderly. In many instances, C ...more
Adam Rabiner
Aug 15, 2012 Adam Rabiner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book in 1982 as a sophomore in high school taking a folklore and mythology course at Harvard Summer School. Back then, while enjoyable, it was an academic affair, leading to papers and comp lit. What a difference from my recent out loud readings to my six year old son. Speaking the words in the Appalachian dialect which Chase captures, I couldn't help having a southern drawl. Jack remains the quintessential Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn: clever, mischievous, cunning, successful and n ...more
Mary Catelli
A collection of folktales from North Carolina and Virginia, all featuring a hero named Jack.

Not all of them are consistent with each other, one narrator even commenting on the marriage problem, but they are also not independent of each other -- Jack, for instance, often has two brother named Will and Tom.

But Jack doesn't just climb the beanstalk. He also deals with robbers -- is oppressed by his employer and helped by a magical bull -- stays all night in a mill and sternly forbids a cat to sop i
Rick Davis
Great fun. They remind me of granddad's stories.
Full review here: http://www.oldeship.blogspot.com/2012...
Name Doris Powell
Jan 19, 2015 Name Doris Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never read THE JACK TALES even though I am a former children's librarian. When Tony Earley referred to them in his latest book of short stories, I was determined to read them. I enjoyed them. Some were familiar, others not. And even though there was a lot of violence and killing in them, many times in the stories Jack helped those in need and was rewarded for it. Jack was a very likable character and a very smart one, if not tricky. Since I have just seen IN THE WOODS, a movie based on fai ...more
Elaine
Feb 23, 2014 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a topic that I love and look into from time to time. These are so different than the tales of chivalry and knitehood. Jack, the rascally character, gains his endeavors by trickery, cheating, luck, or whatever works. He is not highly born but a poor mountain lad who faces giants, devils, and cruelty. There is no code for his behavior, just survival. I love this oral tradition in literature, and though these tales were compiled in the early part of the twentieth century, their preservation ...more
Hope N
Mar 16, 2016 Hope N rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are a series of short stories told by Council Harmon’s family in the Southern Appalachian Mountains and recorded from their oral tradition.

I love the language in this book. If you concentrate you can almost hear someone’s Virginian grandfather telling you these stories as if he’d been there and saw Jack do it all. And I love Jack: lazy, accident-prone, and with questionable morals, he’s also clever, generous to strangers and above all very lucky. Jack’s the opposite of the ideal American
LobsterQuadrille
Nov 19, 2015 LobsterQuadrille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folklore fans
(Actually 3 and a half stars)

The stories in this anthology tell of resourceful young Jack and his strange adventures, with everything from multi-headed giants to a surprising number of kings for rural America. Jack is a consistent character throughout the stories, though many of the tales originated in different places. The Southern dialect used to narrate the stories made me feel more immersed in the setting, and Jack is always entertaining. The tone of the stories is sort of interesting, sin
Brittany Morgan
Nov 22, 2014 Brittany Morgan rated it it was ok
I bought this for my Children's Literature class and honestly, it was way more brutal than I imagined. A lot of dishonesty and not something I would my children to read if I had them or something I'd want to share with my students. The only reason I gave it a two instead of a one is because the author put a lot of work into it, collecting folklore all over the country and did do a good job of it, but morally and graphically not anything I would want children to be around.
John Bemis
Dec 10, 2008 John Bemis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bizarre, violent, and completely hilarious. As a kid, I checked this book out over and over from the library. (I own a tattered copy now.) I was constantly pulled back by Jack's unfaltering sense of self and his ability to never get fazed - whether he's facing a three-headed man-eating giant wandering the Appalachian backwoods or whether he's given some strange, impossible task by a hillbilly king. A world far more rich and interesting than 99% of the fantasy books out there.
Debby Baumgartner
Jan 21, 2016 Debby Baumgartner rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jack-tales, tales, jack
3 jack tales
Gokycats4
Aug 19, 2008 Gokycats4 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These stories take me back to sitting around the fire in the back yard, eating roasted marshmallows, or sitting on the front porch swing with the family after a big meal of garden foods and listening to these stories of Jack....told to us, not out of a book, but as a story....just like Jack was a long, lost cousin..... It's really fun to read this stuff and to remember that I actually heard some of these stories from my family growing up! Awesome!!
JG (The Introverted Reader)
You know Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk? He got up to much more than just giant-killing. If I remember correctly, Richard Chase traveled around the southern Appalachians collecting all the Jack stories that had been passed down in the oral tradition for generations and this is the result. They probably get kind of predictable, but we used to fight over who got to check this out of our school library. This book was a lot of fun.
James
Jan 04, 2011 James rated it it was amazing
Delightful. Three of the stories, "Jack and the Bull," "Jack and King Marock" (my favorite, I think - Jack gambles with a 'roguish kind of feller' who may be the Devil) and "Soldier Jack" (Ray Hicks memorably tells this tale in the Scots-Irish episode of Story of English) were recorded in Wise County, Virginia, whence hail my father's folks. Chewy, tasty language (insert cornpone metaphor here).
Hayley Smith-Kirkham
I started reading a few of these stories at night before bed to replace my terrible Netflix routine and it's started a good habit. I'd been reading some Grimm's fairy tales prior and I enjoyed finding some of the same tropes in the Jack tales (the looking glass to see Death, the group of men each with some talent who outwit the King, etc).
Rachelpeart
Dec 01, 2010 Rachelpeart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What fun! I think we got most of the way through this before it was due back at the library. My husband who grew up in North Carolina read these to me and I do love how unfazed Jack is by pretty much everything. Just takes care of what needs to be done. I was surprised at how many tales had familiar parts from the spinoffs I had heard.

Violet
I've tried to read this collection of stories about a young man named Jack, but because the setting for all the stories take place during what I guess is the eighteenth centuryy in the Appalachian Mountain region, the English is hard to follow. Also like what my English teacher says,"life's too short to read books you don't enjoy!"
Rachel
Aug 21, 2007 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Appalachian studies readers; folklore readers
The Jack Tales are English folktales that were brought to Appalachia. Unfortunately Richard Chase was a sort of J. Frank Dobie figure, not recording the tales faithfully but trying to make them "literary" instead. Despite this romantic regionalism, he does give us some very well-told folktales.
Mirian
Dec 04, 2009 Mirian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Christmas gift for Jack, but after reading a couple of the stories, I'm not sure Jack's mom will enjoy reading the fables aloud to him considering the heavy southern accent the narration uses.

So maybe he'll read it himself in 10 years?
Aaron
Mar 09, 2007 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has helped shape my world view. I've been reading it since I was a little Aaron, going to summer camp. Seriously, bring over a couple beers and I'll read you the whole thing, all the stories, complete with voices.
June Morgan
Feb 21, 2011 June Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These tales are old, but they make for wonderful read alouds and introducing dialect.
David
Sep 29, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection shows the evolution of mythology from one culture to another.
DaughterDaDa
Jul 18, 2008 DaughterDaDa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and families
An excellent retelling of folktales from the southern Appalachians.
Heather Greenlee
Jan 22, 2008 Heather Greenlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amy Knutson
These are great stories, written in the Appalachian dialect.
Bob
Sep 05, 2013 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: share-read
These are a favorite to be read aroud the campfire.
Cecilee
Jul 30, 2011 Cecilee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My children will know these. <3
Julia
Julia added it
Apr 28, 2016
Jennifer Sines johnson
Jennifer Sines johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Jay Steel
Jay Steel marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
  • I Am One of You Forever
  • Satan: The Early Christian Tradition
  • The Time Falling Bodies Take To Light: Mythology, Sexuality and the Origins of Culture
  • Gumbo Ya-Ya: A Collection of Louisiana Folk Tales
  • She-Rain:  A Story of Hope
  • The Magic Orange Tree and Other Haitian Folktales
  • Bulfinch's Mythology: The Age of Chivalry/Legends of Charlemagne
  • Latin American Folktales: Stories from Hispanic and Indian Traditions (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Norwegian Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Sniffles
  • Every Tongue Got to Confess: Negro Folk-tales from the Gulf States
  • Why Dogs Chase Cars: Tales of a Beleaguered Boyhood
  • Hey! Listen to This: Stories to Read Aloud
  • On Viney's Mountain
  • Rootabaga Stories
  • Purgatory: Explained by the Lives and Legends of the Saints
  • Off with their heads!: fairy tales and the culture of childhood