Start by marking “People of the Way: Renewing Episcopal Identity” as Want to Read:
People of the Way: Renewing Episcopal Identity

People of the Way: Renewing Episcopal Identity

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Addresses church-wide conversation on Anglican identity and mission: who are we and why are we here? Includes discussion questions for use in small group studies or individual study.
Published May 1st 2012 by Morehouse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about People of the Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People of the Way

Chris Cook
This was a quick read. We read it as a Vestry project. While I found myself understanding where the author is coming from, I both agree and disagree with his message. He is right that in the networked society we have, people are moving away from the establishment church as we know it. What I am disturbed by is the idea that perhaps in trying to adapt to this new reality, we will disenfranchise the Episcopalians who have supported the church for so long. I do hope we can come up with a negotiated ...more
Jon Stout
Feb 24, 2014 Jon Stout rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: disciples and dissenters
Recommended to Jon by: Bishop Mark Beckwith
Shelves: religion
Dwight Zscheile was the keynote speaker at a recent Episcopal Diocesan Convention to which I was a deputy. Keynote speakers in these situations try to present the church with a new vision of what is possible in an era of declining enrollments. This is a noble job, because surely there is something meaningful that we are called to do, no matter the circumstances. But such speakers always run the danger of trying too hard to find new language for old ideas, and of ending up with the latest ecclesi ...more
Anne Harlan
Aug 18, 2012 Anne Harlan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like to hear about ways to reform the Episcopal church, and I particularly like Zscheile's ideas about community--modeling ourselves on the Trinity instead of constantly re-inventing ourselves individually. He also talks about learning from others and sharing responsibility instead of the corporate-style patriarchy that our traditions are built on. I love the South African attitude of plunging into the lives of others instead of trying to bring them in to our church.
Rob Skirving
May 09, 2014 Rob Skirving rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this book could have been lots of other things, including some of those things suggested by other Goodreads reviewers, I appreciate that the author stuck to what was, for me, a very important task ...that of helping us to see a way forward for the church that many of us love. His descriptive language of the establishment church was precise and, from my vantage point, mostly very accurate. His emphasis on claiming our identity as disciples, and not mere members of an establishment church, w ...more
Lawrence
I read this book because I am on the vestry of my church. It is a book about the Episcopal Church specifically. It has a lot to say. The E.C. used to have many more members than it does today. I think the decline is membership has many causes --- from the decline of mainline denominations generally in the USA to the ordination of women and the elevation of gay bishops to the schisms within the church created by LGBT issues generally. The E.C. used to also a very, very establishment church, inter ...more
Barbara Briggs
Feb 21, 2013 Barbara Briggs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought-provoking encouragement for the entire Episcopal Church to take the risk of trusting God's Spirit to show up outside church. An invitation to radical trust in Christ through the practice of 1. accepting the hospitality of the people in the neighborhood, 2. commitment to the practice and the handing on of the habits that nourish our Christian identity, (familiarity and intimacy with the Word of God; cultivation of a sense of wonder, awe, curiosity to God's presence in our midst and beyond ...more
Jendi
Apr 09, 2014 Jendi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"People of the Way" stands out for its clear, energetic, passionate restatement of core Christian beliefs, coupled with a progressive and inclusive worldview. Don't be fooled by the brevity of this book, which is so packed with ideas that our church small group has been discussing it for 5 months. Zscheile cherishes Episcopal traditions but prods us to stop idolizing familiar institutional forms of worship.

Sometimes he still betrays hints of the privileged, establishment worldview, as when he s
Julia Alberino
We read this book for background prior to our Vestry off-site planning meeting this year. It is a good primer for catching up on current trends in the Episcopal Church (probably applicable to other denominations as well), and the author's including thought-provoking questions at the end of each chapter makes the book readily adaptable for discussion by small groups. Church governance bodies will probably find "People of the Way" a good resource.
Frank Ogden
Jun 23, 2015 Frank Ogden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are interested in the Episcopal church and its future direction, this is a book you might read. I recommend this book for that reason.
John Hanscom
Oct 21, 2013 John Hanscom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Somewhere between 4 1/2 and 5 stars. He presents a good model for "the Church of the Future." However, since he sees the "establishment paradigm" to be outdated, and believes each Parish needs to develop mission in relation to community, he is loath to give examples, as he does not want to reduce his ideas to mere "technique." It would have been nice to have more representative samples of how particular parishes succeeded, as some are going to see it in terms of technique no matter what he says, ...more
Jim
Aug 16, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agape-group
Trying to read this with a couple of groups as we try to figure how to have a more vital congregation; it has been dis functional in certain ways for a number of years. So, time to more forward.

The book was a quick refresh in Episcopal history,mane why we're where we are today. In a church that's lost 33% of its members in 50 years, questions need to be asked. Is it about growth that success is measured in the church? I rather think not. A beauty or popularity contest? Probably not.

It will be go
Sammy Wood
Mar 14, 2014 Sammy Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spot on. Can't wait to reread it.
Fran
Mar 07, 2015 Fran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church-related
Zscheile asks wonderful questions and makes compelling arguments for how The Episcopal Church must change and adapt at this point in our history. Thought provoking and challenging. Highly recommended.

What is refreshing about Zscheile's book is that it's not a program. He returns us to our roots and helps us to see our traditions in new ways. He also tells stories about real people and real congregations striving to be people of the Way.
John
Aug 13, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, religion
The author provides a history of the Episcopal Church, identifies its current strengths and weaknesses, and details the necessary steps to imagine the church's identity as a missional church in the future. Although the Episcopal Church is the primary focus of this book, the strategies included could be used by other faith communities.
Patricia
Less preachy than most, and some excellent discussion questions, but I'm still looking for a book of this sort that doesn't trash Episcopalians and emphasize our need to change or die.
Kelsee
Apr 01, 2014 Kelsee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful as me and my fellow parishoners consider the possibilities of reaching out to our neighborhood!
Marty
Aug 27, 2012 Marty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. It really grabs your attention and holds your interest.
Samantha Ham
Samantha Ham rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
gene
gene rated it did not like it
Jul 05, 2016
Murray Johnson
Murray Johnson is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2016
Lee Wilkins
Lee Wilkins marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Charles Cowen
Charles Cowen rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Amy
Amy added it
Apr 05, 2016
Malcolm
Malcolm marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
David Miller
David Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Demi Prentiss
Demi Prentiss rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Antoinette
Antoinette rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016