Start by marking “The Bleeding Heart: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Bleeding Heart: A Novel

The Bleeding Heart: A Novel

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  20 reviews
By the author of the groundbreaking feminist novel The Women's Room, The Bleeding Heart is a compelling novel about the devastating power of marriage -- and the unexpected power of love. A love story for and about adults, it speaks to the hearts and minds of women and men everywhere.

Dolores and Victor are both successful, both Americans living alone in England. They meet
377 pages
Published 1980 by Summit Books

To ask other readers questions about The Bleeding Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bleeding Heart

NomdePlumePress
All the angsty romance I’ve been reading lately has had one (well, probably myriad, but let’s stick to one for now) thing in common: the protagonists are young. Early to mid-twenties. Just starting out in life, overcoming childhood tragedy. Which has got me thinking: why not angst about older people?

And then The Bleeding Heart came up, and now I know why. Maybe. Angsty romance with older protagonists -- in this case, in their fifties, I think, so a little older than I was aiming for, but that’s
Daryl Leyesa
Re-reading this book is my attempt to find a calm place. (there was a six-year interval)

Bleeding Heart evokes the hurt that shares space with our gender roles and identities; speaks of a war between men and women who may not even be aware of waging the war but ending up as victims anyway, of bloodless battles that leave them bleeding nevertheless. But are these really bloodless battles? There were women who bled in such battles; many bleed still. There were men who stained their hands with blood
B the BookAddict
Feb 28, 2014 B the BookAddict rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to B the BookAddict by: My mum (god bless her)
Shelves: fiction
My very forward thinking mother bought me this novel back in the mid 1980s. I loved it! I really should sit and read it again now that I'm older and life has had it's way with me:P 5★
Ionia
Hate is a strong word, but I really did not love this book and my desire to just be done with it already was in the forefront of my thoughts throughout.

I found this one a difficult book to read. For me, it read a bit like a handbook for man-hating and the main character/narrator came across as a spoiled and pretentious prat the majority of the time. The random poetic moments/mad ramblings did not add any reason for me to love this.

As I read, I kept hoping for one of those life changing moments
Julie
The Bleeding Heart by Marilyn French is an Open Road Intergrated Media publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in conjunction with Retro Romance reading group in exchange for an honest review.
Dolores and Victor are two strangers on a train... Yes, that's how the book really starts out. They begin an affair that has a time frame attached to it. They will have a year together and then they will go about their lives as they had before the affair.
The relations
Julian Froment
I have to say that I did not get on very well with this book. I struggled to get through it. I enjoyed the location, Oxford, England, but found the rest of the book held little for me.

It was an unusual romance. In principle the idea was interesting, but I found the narrative tedious. There were extremely large sections that just seemed to be undirected rambling and whining about the past by the main characters, Dolores and Victor.

There was a lot of back story, presumably designed to indicate to
Therese
Couldn't finish, very boring!
Michele
Dolores meets Victor on a train, they seduce each other without a word being spoken, fall into bed and embark on an affair loaded with baggage. They fight the baggage of many relationships and Victor's marriage in their relationship while trying to live a lifetime in the year they have together before returning to their previous lives. They fight and they love intensely. They tear each other up and put each other back together again. Both have damaged lives filled with tragedy, pain and moments, ...more
Emmy Soliman
Zij heeft een beetje gelijk. Ik ben met haar eens, maar niet 100%.

Het is waar dat wij -de vrouwen- in een mannenwereld leven, maar zij is overgedreven. Het is niet zo zwart. Er zijn goede en slechte mannen, aan de andere kant zijn er goede en slechte vrouwen. Er zijn mannen die helemaal controle over hen vrouwen hebben, maar sommige vrouwen zijn altijd de lijders.

Nu kunnen de vrouwen hen eigen plek in het leven zelf kiezen. Het is afhankelijk aan haar, niet aan de mannen.
Kolumbina
Fantastic. Loved it!
Maria Ljung
The language in it, or rather the unmotivated swops between poetic aspirations and "normal novel" where quite horrible. I read it in swedish and I really do hope it was a bad translation. There's some interesting thoughts in it though.
Mary Jane
I have read this book over and over. There are
no bad guys, just "good" people like us. Living the life they want but circumscribed by others. I want a Victor.
Linda
A feminist and an old-fashioned man meet in England and fall in love, all the while knowing he must return to his wife in a year's time.
Joanne
Somewhat bloated (are there no editors anymore?) and dated. But a good story and her character development is nice.
Erma Aker
Loved this book back in the 80's. Found it a succint and powerful summation of the relationship between men and women.
Rosy
Boring and pretencious. Too much whining. With so much resentment, there was no room for love.
Pippa
A superb book. I was tempted to give it five stars, but I am very stingy with them. :)
Monica
Oct 26, 2007 Monica marked it as put-it-down-didn-t-pick-it-up-again  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donation-pile
This got a large proportion of 5 star reviews. I'm trying to get rid of stuff.
Umi
Great book about infidelity of adults.
Judy
A good love story.
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Kathleen Repper
Kathleen Repper marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Retro Reads - Rom...: Our February Retro Read 5 11 Feb 26, 2014 10:42AM
  • Triple Ripple: A Fabulous Fairytale
  • Tunc
  • It All Adds Up: From the Dim Past to the Uncertain Future
  • The Day After Forever
  • Bluebeard
  • The Complete Novels of Jane Austen, Vol 1: Sense & Sensibility/Pride & Prejudice/Mansfield Park
  • Six Tales of the Jazz Age (and Other Stories)
  • The Idiot & The Possessed
  • Answer as a Man
  • Violet Clay: A Novel
  • The Heyday of the Insensitive Bastards
  • Girl, 20
  • The Legend of the Glorious Adventures of Tyl Ulenspiegel in the Land of Flanders & Elsewhere
  • City Life
  • My Other Life
  • A Piece Of My Heart
  • Blanche Passes Go
  • The Search for Anne Perry
She attended Hofstra University (then Hofstra College) where she also received a master's degree in English in 1964. She married Robert M. French Jr. in 1950; the couple divorced in 1967. She later attended Harvard University, earning a Ph.D in 1972.[1] Years later she became an instructor at Hofstra University.

In her work, French asserted that women's oppression is an intrinsic part of the male-d
More about Marilyn French...
The Women's Room  Her Mother's Daughter The War Against Women Our Father My Summer With George