Start by marking “The Bleeding Heart” as Want to Read:
The Bleeding Heart

The Bleeding Heart

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  377 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
By the author of the groundbreaking feminist novel The Women's Room, The Bleeding Heart is a compelling novel about the devastating power of marriage -- and the unexpected power of love. A love story for and about adults, it speaks to the hearts and minds of women and men everywhere.

Dolores and Victor are both successful, both Americans living alone in England. They meet
377 pages
Published 1980 by Summit Books

To ask other readers questions about The Bleeding Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bleeding Heart

NomdePlumePress
All the angsty romance I’ve been reading lately has had one (well, probably myriad, but let’s stick to one for now) thing in common: the protagonists are young. Early to mid-twenties. Just starting out in life, overcoming childhood tragedy. Which has got me thinking: why not angst about older people?

And then The Bleeding Heart came up, and now I know why. Maybe. Angsty romance with older protagonists -- in this case, in their fifties, I think, so a little older than I was aiming for, but that’s
Daryl Leyesa
Jan 01, 2013 Daryl Leyesa rated it really liked it
Re-reading this book is my attempt to find a calm place. (there was a six-year interval)

Bleeding Heart evokes the hurt that shares space with our gender roles and identities; speaks of a war between men and women who may not even be aware of waging the war but ending up as victims anyway, of bloodless battles that leave them bleeding nevertheless. But are these really bloodless battles? There were women who bled in such battles; many bleed still. There were men who stained their hands with blood
B the BookAddict
Feb 28, 2014 B the BookAddict rated it it was amazing
Recommended to B the BookAddict by: My mum (god bless her)
Shelves: fiction
My very forward thinking mother bought me this novel back in the mid 1980s. I loved it! I really should sit and read it again now that I'm older and life has had it's way with me:P 5 ...more
Ionia
Feb 22, 2014 Ionia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hate is a strong word, but I really did not love this book and my desire to just be done with it already was in the forefront of my thoughts throughout.

I found this one a difficult book to read. For me, it read a bit like a handbook for man-hating and the main character/narrator came across as a spoiled and pretentious prat the majority of the time. The random poetic moments/mad ramblings did not add any reason for me to love this.

As I read, I kept hoping for one of those life changing moments
Julie
The Bleeding Heart by Marilyn French is an Open Road Intergrated Media publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in conjunction with Retro Romance reading group in exchange for an honest review.
Dolores and Victor are two strangers on a train... Yes, that's how the book really starts out. They begin an affair that has a time frame attached to it. They will have a year together and then they will go about their lives as they had before the affair.
The relations
Julian Froment
I have to say that I did not get on very well with this book. I struggled to get through it. I enjoyed the location, Oxford, England, but found the rest of the book held little for me.

It was an unusual romance. In principle the idea was interesting, but I found the narrative tedious. There were extremely large sections that just seemed to be undirected rambling and whining about the past by the main characters, Dolores and Victor.

There was a lot of back story, presumably designed to indicate to
Therese
Couldn't finish, very boring!
Michele
Oct 24, 2013 Michele rated it liked it
Dolores meets Victor on a train, they seduce each other without a word being spoken, fall into bed and embark on an affair loaded with baggage. They fight the baggage of many relationships and Victor's marriage in their relationship while trying to live a lifetime in the year they have together before returning to their previous lives. They fight and they love intensely. They tear each other up and put each other back together again. Both have damaged lives filled with tragedy, pain and moments, ...more
Bev Taylor
Mar 15, 2015 Bev Taylor rated it did not like it
the least i say about this the better

basically a story of how women think about men and vice versa

dolores seems stuck in the stone age. everything is black or white, never grey if every woman thought like her nobody would get married!

bev
Emmy Soliman
Dec 05, 2014 Emmy Soliman rated it it was ok
Zij heeft een beetje gelijk. Ik ben met haar eens, maar niet 100%.

Het is waar dat wij -de vrouwen- in een mannenwereld leven, maar zij is overgedreven. Het is niet zo zwart. Er zijn goede en slechte mannen, aan de andere kant zijn er goede en slechte vrouwen. Er zijn mannen die helemaal controle over hen vrouwen hebben, maar sommige vrouwen zijn altijd de lijders.

Nu kunnen de vrouwen hen eigen plek in het leven zelf kiezen. Het is afhankelijk aan haar, niet aan de mannen.
Kolumbina
Sep 30, 2014 Kolumbina rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Loved it!
Maria Ljung
Aug 27, 2008 Maria Ljung rated it did not like it
The language in it, or rather the unmotivated swops between poetic aspirations and "normal novel" where quite horrible. I read it in swedish and I really do hope it was a bad translation. There's some interesting thoughts in it though.
Mary Jane
Mar 07, 2010 Mary Jane rated it it was amazing
I have read this book over and over. There are
no bad guys, just "good" people like us. Living the life they want but circumscribed by others. I want a Victor.
Linda
Oct 29, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
A feminist and an old-fashioned man meet in England and fall in love, all the while knowing he must return to his wife in a year's time.
Joanne
Jan 01, 2013 Joanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat bloated (are there no editors anymore?) and dated. But a good story and her character development is nice.
Erma Aker
Jan 21, 2008 Erma Aker rated it it was amazing
Loved this book back in the 80's. Found it a succint and powerful summation of the relationship between men and women.
Rosy
Nov 14, 2013 Rosy rated it it was ok
Boring and pretencious. Too much whining. With so much resentment, there was no room for love.
Pippa
A superb book. I was tempted to give it five stars, but I am very stingy with them. :)
Monica
Oct 26, 2007 Monica marked it as put-it-down-didn-t-pick-it-up-again  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donation-pile
This got a large proportion of 5 star reviews. I'm trying to get rid of stuff.
Umi
May 07, 2009 Umi rated it really liked it
Great book about infidelity of adults.
Judy
Mar 23, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it
A good love story.
Minami
Minami rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Meg Metropoulos
Meg Metropoulos marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Sunday
Sunday marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Retro Reads - Rom...: Our February Retro Read 5 11 Feb 26, 2014 10:42AM
  • Triple Ripple: A Fabulous Fairytale
  • The Complete Novels of Jane Austen, Vol 1: Sense & Sensibility/Pride & Prejudice/Mansfield Park
  • The Day After Forever
  • Tunc
  • Something To Remember Me By: Three Tales
  • Bluebeard
  • The Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Idiot & The Possessed
  • The Heyday of the Insensitive Bastards
  • The Legend of the Glorious Adventures of Tyl Ulenspiegel in the Land of Flanders & Elsewhere
  • Puffball
  • The Nudist on the Late Shift: And Other True Tales of Silicon Valley
  • Answer as a Man
  • City Life
  • A Piece of My Heart
  • Another You
  • Nina Todd Has Gone
  • Bucking the Sun
She attended Hofstra University (then Hofstra College) where she also received a master's degree in English in 1964. She married Robert M. French Jr. in 1950; the couple divorced in 1967. She later attended Harvard University, earning a Ph.D in 1972. Years later she became an instructor at Hofstra University.

In her work, French asserted that women's oppression is an intrinsic part of the male-domi
More about Marilyn French...