Start by marking “The Magic Bicycle (Spirit Flyer, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Magic Bicycle (Spirit Flyer, #1)

The Magic Bicycle (Spirit Flyer #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"Once there was a magic bicycle that found a boy," begins this tale of adventure and suspense. When John Kramer comes across an old, rusty Spirit Flyer bicycle, he finds it far from ordinary. First, the bike helps him save a neighbor's barn from burning. Then it brings him into conflict with the boys in the Cobra Club, a representative of Goliath Toys and other forces that ...more
Published May 4th 1983 by IVP Books (first published May 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Bicycle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic Bicycle

Heidi
I read this as a kid - made a huge impression on me. So big, that I finally tried looking it up again. The library didn't carry it. And wow. Still an awesome series. The first book is the hardest for me - glowing red eyes, black snake funnel clouds - scary stuff. But if ever there were a series that did a good job explaining good and bad - the insidious tendrils of evil and the overwhelming unconditional love of God, this is it. Each book in the series is fabulous. My eight year old is not ready ...more
Colleen
This is the first in a series. The series is great, but this first one starts out with a couple problems. First, the writing doesn't flow off the tongue as beautifully as I might wish. It is a children's book and reads like many children's books, but I wish I could tell you that it was as well-written, as, say, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by Lewis. However, the plot and themes, as well as the rest of the books in the series, are good enough that I recommend it for anyone who enjoys a st ...more
Alice
2.75 Stars A patron told me she and her boys loved this book. I told her to read "The Forgotten Door" which I loved and she said this book was like it. NOPE WRONG. "The Forgotten Door" is intelligent, interesting, full of depth. This was just a barrel full of blah!

This book started out being very interesting, a boy finds an old bike in the dump and he tries to fix it up -- then the bikes flies and does all sort of cool things.. Okay that part was fun! But what I didn't like was all the deep de
John Smith
The best book I ever read as a child. 20 years after reading it for the first time, I remember the way this book sucked me in and showed me that reading can be really fun. I never found a book since this amazing, and I've read others in the series and they had parts that were just as great but as a whole, didn't really meet the mark. I recommend this book to all young boys. It teaches them life values that they will have for the rest of there life and want to share with there kids in the future.
Jenah
I had forgotten how much i loved this book. When I read it the first time as a child, it made an impression on me that very few books have. When it came into the used bookstore i was working at, well... I'd say it was fate, but that wouldn't be giving credit where credit is due. I bought it immediately, which was 2 years ago. It has since decorated one of my many bookshelves. Until tonight. Tonight i reread it in one sitting, because this story still has that power. Awesome.
Megan
I think I read this book because it sounded like it had a good epic good v. evil story happening like the Dark is Rising series. It started off ok, and quickly descended into weird and creepy. So much so that I've repressed the memory of even reading it and only now remembered what it was even titled. Somebody on Amazon commented that it was a good series to give your kids to read if you didn't want them reading Harry Potter. So, yeah.
Michaeloris
This series is a Howard Family favorite. Our oldest son Drew who would not call himself an avid reader liked this one so much he read the series again as an adult. I plan to buy the whole series for Drew' first son due in February. It is a vividly told story of good versus evil and that invisible spiritual realm where our arch enemies battle Christ and His legions. Some in the series are not as good as others.
J. Aleksandr Wootton
No idea how this one ended up on my shelf, but it's going straight to the used book store. It wasn't horrible; started quite well, and the plot moved at a good pace with good details and atmosphere, but about halfway through it started to feel cheesy and then the exposition completely fell apart.

Also, the subtitle is a near-total misnomer.
K Flewelling
This is a fun and quick read. It's an allegory of Christian faith, that I read waaaay back when I was only 8 or 9. It's a part of a series that is, to this day, some 17 years, really very gripping. A little preachy, at times, perhaps, but some interesting connotations and metaphors.
Ashleigh
I read this to my 8 year old and wished I had read it to myself first and saved it for him when he was a bit older. Snakes, glowing red eyes, disappearing family members, it was a bit too much for me even! Probably going to wait a few year to get the others...
Sue Bergman
I really enjoyed reading this whole series of 8 books out loud when I home schooled. They are about Spiritual Warfare and are great for age ten and up. I want to re-read them someday. We own the whole set.
Tammy
I bought this book for my nephew and read it first so we could discuss it. I found it to be kind of a "baby Harry Potter" book. Quick read but um yeah, probably because it's a children's book!
Paul Dubuc
This book was very good. I read the whole series to my kids, but didn't enjoy them all. These will never be classics on the order of C. S. Lewis' Narnia books.
Elizabeth Candlish
These were actually read to me at school and they were awesome!!!! It was Mrs. Sherwood! I have to read these to my kids someday, at least when I have kids!
Rivkah.
I love this book to death! My father read these books to us over and over when I was a kid!
Madeline Stone
One of those books, which I enjoyed while reading, but didn't remember with as much enthusiasm.
Orion
Great book for a preteen.
Beth
It was kind of weird.
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Precious
Precious marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Renee
Renee added it
Feb 19, 2015
Mohammed Ahmed
Mohammed Ahmed marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Heather Pizzi hocking
Heather Pizzi hocking is currently reading it
Feb 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Iron Sceptre (Archives of Anthropos #4)
  • Derwood, Inc
  • The Turret (The Rescuers, #3)
  • The Wainscott Weasel
  • Nate Saint: On a Wing and a Prayer
  • Long Story Short: Ten-Minute Devotions to Draw Your Family to God
  • The Enormous Egg
  • Logic: A God-Centered Approach to the Foundation of Western Thought
  • The Door in the Dragon's Throat (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #1)
  • The Author's Blood (The Wormling, #5)
  • Why Small Groups? Together Toward Maturity
  • Pierced for Our Transgressions: Rediscovering the Glory of Penal Substitution
  • Freddy and the Ignormus
  • The Gospel as Center: Renewing Our Faith and Reforming Our Ministry Practices

Spirit Flyer (8 books)
  • The Toy Campaign (Spirit Flyer, #2)
  • The Only Game in Town (Spirit Flyer, #3)
  • Bicycle Hills (Spirit Flyer, #4)
  • The Last Christmas (Spirit Flyer, #5)
  • The Runaway Parents (Spirit Flyer, #6)
  • The Perfect Star (Spirit Flyer, #7)
  • The Journey of Wishes (Spirit Flyer, #8)
The Toy Campaign (Spirit Flyer, #2) The Only Game in Town (Spirit Flyer, #3) Bicycle Hills (Spirit Flyer, #4) The Last Christmas (Spirit Flyer, #5) The Perfect Star (Spirit Flyer, #7)