Start by marking “Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1

Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1 (Return to Labyrinth #1)

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,517 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews
Returning home after his initial visit to Labyrinth, Toby has grown up, noticing that many things come easily to him, even when he's under pressure. Little does he know that Jareth, the Goblin King, has been looking out for his best interests.
Published August 8th 2006 by TokyoPop (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1

Jubilation Lee
As some of you may know, I love both the movie and novelization of Labyrinth long time. So when I heard there was a graphic novel series about Toby’s triumphant return to the Labyrinth, I was all, “SIGN ME UP.”

That was, like, five or six years ago.

I didn’t really get around to reading the series.

But now, friends! NOW is the moment when I am all, “Eh, I have twenty minutes, I’ll read the first book.”

So. While Goodread’s reviews seem to range from “This book actually sang like the angels when I o
Nadir
Jul 07, 2008 Nadir rated it did not like it
... I hate how the cover is so beautiful but the inside art is armature. The plot is predictable, the characters without personality - a disgraceful sequel to the movie.
Willow
Nov 28, 2007 Willow rated it did not like it
If you're thinking about reading this comic because you're feeling nostalgic for the amazing move, DON'T.
Dian
Dec 01, 2008 Dian rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
One of the greatest disappointments of my life. And the cover is nothing but deceiving.
Starfire
Feb 14, 2011 Starfire rated it liked it
Hmmmmmm... not overwhelmed with delight at this first instalment in the series so I suspect I won't go on to read the rest of it. It's not particularly bad - just... didn't live up to what I was expecting, I guess.

Toby as a character is... I guess he's realistic as a teenaged boy who seems to think he's the centre of the universe and whines a lot (which, again I guess, is actually not that far off how Sarah was portrayed in the movie, although Toby seems to be even less sympathetic to me - I cou
Karissa
Oct 04, 2015 Karissa rated it liked it
I have had this book for a while to read and was excited to finally get to read it. I was a huge fan of The Labyrinth movie when I was a kid and was eager to revisit the story. The book ended up being a bit disappointing; both the story and illustration were okay but not great.

It’s been many years since Toby left the Labyrinth and he notices that things come easy to him, especially when he is under pressure or stressed...little does he know that Jareth, the Goblin King, has been helping him out
Whatchyareading
Oh my God, you guys, oh my God. I love Labyrinth, the movie. Have you seen it? Are you a fellow child of the ’80s like me? Then you love it, too. Of course you do.

Imagine my shock and amazement when I found out there was a manga series that was considered the official sequel to Labyrinth. And it came out five years ago! FIVE. Why didn’t someone tell me about this?

Well, if you were in the dark like me, this is me telling you about the official sequel. It’s a four-volume series and it’s essential
Nicola
Feb 23, 2011 Nicola rated it really liked it
I got all four of these books as an Xmas gift this year. I am a massive fan of the Labyrinth film and of Brain Froud's work, so when I first picked these up I was nervous as to whether these would be any good or not.
I have previously read bad reviews on these series and I'm not really into manga like graphic novels/comics.
As soon as I started reading them I couldn't put them down, I finished them within the week I think but then they are quite small. The illustrations are really lovely to look
Emma
Jan 08, 2009 Emma rated it did not like it
With misleading beautiful art on the cover and weak, chibi-like art similar to the Kingdom Hearts spin-off manga on the inside, it's a dissapointment at first sight - especially if, like me, you bought it online. If you're thinking of buying it, try and look at it in a store first.

Looking past the art, there's the story - weak, rushed, and fanfiction-like, though no doubt a lot of fanfic writers could outdo this.

Just watch the movie again.
Emily Luebke
Jun 11, 2016 Emily Luebke rated it did not like it
LIGHT SPOILERS

This. Was. Tripe.

Especially if you are a fan of the movie, and I don't know why you would be reading this thing if you were not. I picked up 'Return to the Labyrinth' because I really enjoy the movie and was hoping whoever wrote this would take an idea that I had actually had myself for possible fanfic and run with it. 'What if Toby still had some right to the Goblin Kingdom as its price?' That sounds intriguing, right?

I think I might still have to write the fic to make up for this
Erin Cataldi
May 04, 2016 Erin Cataldi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
LOVED this! It was a little weird seeing this done as a manga but the artist did a great job in making many of the characters and goblins look the same (except for Sarah as an adult, she looks weird). Basically this story picks up when Toby is a teenager. Everything starts going wrong for him in school and one day a goblin runs in and steals his homework, enraged and not knowing what is going on he chases the creature through a small tunnel in his closet and ends up in the labyrinth where his ol ...more
Say
Mar 01, 2015 Say rated it did not like it
I read this years ago.... I'm a huge fan of the film (it is my childhood) I hated this bastardization with a passion....

First off the cover art is done by a very talented woman name Kouyu Shukei who did a lovely manga called Alichino that was left unfinished due to a crippling injury..... but then she went to do this.... and if you look in the pages of Alichino, you will see a beautiful, unique and detailed panels.... if you look in Return to Labryinth, you will see some really really lack luste
Heidi
I will be honest and admit that I am a "Labyrinth" fan. Not a fanatic. But something about seeing this movie when I was 6 or 7 (and possibly with older people--so that might have added to the experience) has made an impression on me. I mean, a movie that can make me laugh, cry, fear, and have nightmares is a pretty wide-ranging movie. Nightmares not only from the guys who take of their heads, but David Bowie in leggings. Ick!!! David Bowie aside, I was intrigued as a little girl by the character ...more
Rebecca
Jan 09, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Despite the fact it's set years after the movie, Return to Labyrinth heavily references the movie in sequence, events, and lines. Toby seems far more capable of dealing with the mysterious labyrinth and its whimsical residents far better than his stepsister (who briefly appears) ever did.

In what really became too forced an effort to establish when the book (written twenty years after the movie came out) takes place (set about ten years after the events in the movie), current culture references a
Lastik
Nov 09, 2015 Lastik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lecturas-2015
un manga que a muchos nostálgicos y enamorados de la película les gustara y/o les defraudará por partes iguales. Porque hay cosas que les traerá recuerdas pero las partes nuevas no encajan muy bien con ese mundo creado por Jim Henson.

Más sobre mi opinión en la reseña del blog
Erin (PT)
May 27, 2009 Erin (PT) rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, graphic-novel
This reads a lot like fan fiction; some of the wording is cribbed directly from the movie, though placed in different/new context and the characterization of the characters returning from the original seems shallow, taking their presentation from the movie as read without reading deeper. I also found it a little off-putting (though I'm not totally sure why) to see the world translated through a more Japanese sensibility. It wasn't bad, it just didn't fit with my perceptions of the Labyrinth worl ...more
Marsha
This manga takes up many years after the end of the original 1986 movie starring David Bowie. You don’t realize how much of the magic was made up of the singer/actor’s presence until you have to read a book that doesn’t rely on it. (The illustrations of the Goblin King look nothing like Bowie.)

The cover of this manga is one of beauty, with its vision of a sloe-eyed Goblin King and the crowned mortal he chooses to favor. However, the interior doesn’t really live up to this promise. The illustrati
Kathleen
Feb 12, 2015 Kathleen rated it it was ok
If you are going to play in the sandbox of my childhood, please try a little harder. Labyrinth is actually an incredibly well crafted movie (I will fight you, bro, with long ranting screeds about the symbolism behind the Bog of Eternal Stench), and I would hope for something similar from a licensed continuation of the story being produced after so long.

Question: If Sarah is the good older sister, the only member of Toby's family who comes to his play, who makes tasty dinner for her little broth
Apr 28, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the movie Labyrinth
Shelves: 2014-book-list
I have loved this movie for longer than I can remember, so when I recently found that the story had been continued, I was ecstatic! For the most part I really enjoyed this book. The fact that it was about Toby - who we only met as a baby in the movie and was little more than a plot device to forward the action of the movie - was an interesting idea. I enjoyed seeing how Jareth, in attempting to fulfill Toby's wishes, inadvertently damaged Toby's reputation time and time again.

The only thing tha
Librariasaurus
I found this a little hard to follow and I would have loved to have seen this as a full size, full colour comic rather than as a manga, this format doesn't do justice to the colour and weirdness of the world.
The story was interesting and a great spin on the movie plot with new storylines thrown in to continue the adventure and interest into the next volumes.
Bethany
Apr 01, 2016 Bethany rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Two stars.

It's not *terrible*, but I don't really understand why this continuation was necessary. It contradicts a certain elements of the movie (and Sarah's growth). Toby motivation seems muddled, so it's hard to grasp him as a character (not that Sarah was a particularly complex character, but it was clear what she wanted and what her journey was about).

The art is a bit disjointed. The creatures, particularly those based on Jim Henson's creations, look pretty good, and some of the settings are
Adriana
Mar 24, 2015 Adriana rated it did not like it
This was just terrible. The cover art is misleading; when in reality the art inside is terrible, and character design cringe worthy, the only exception being Toby's mom, who only has a super brief appearance and looks exactly as she did in the original movie, with the exact same outfit included!

The plot is amateurish, ridiculous and idiotic. Transitions between panels often feel very awkward, and the setup in panels can often be very strange, which makes the flow story even worse. It reads like
Franky
Dec 24, 2013 Franky rated it liked it
Truth be told, I picked this book up only because it was part of a reading challenge that required a graphic novel (having never read a graphic novel before). I figured I might as well pick up something that I was familiar with, seeing the 1986 version of Labyrinth (you know, the one with David Bowie and a teenage Jennifer Connelly) so long ago and revisiting it recently.

The reviews here are a mixed bag, so I didn’t know what to expect. Return to Labyrinth’s story seems to take off right where
Cristina
May 20, 2016 Cristina rated it really liked it
this is actually the second time I've read this, and I still enjoyed it. The graphics are what I've come to expect from TokyoPop and that is not a bad thing. The story line is a bit predictable, but that is no matter to me. Some of the lines said by the characters are pretty much lines from the movie with minor modifications. Seeing the character favorites was bittersweet, and the Fraggle cameo was pure delight!

Do not read this expecting the original magicks, but accept it for what it is and gi
Sebastian
Jan 17, 2016 Sebastian rated it really liked it
The labyrinth was one of my favorite movies as a kid and I still love it today. I saw this come through at work and thought about reading it...and the unfortunate death of David Bowie it's what pushed me to snag it off the shelf at work and read it.

I love that we get to see the characters from the movie and how their lives turned out. Toby seems spoiled...but hey, it isn't his fault the goblin king grants his every wish right? The wishes seem to backfire anyway.

Anyways, I say if you haven't alre
Wild-Rogue-Rose
Jan 25, 2016 Wild-Rogue-Rose rated it it was ok
Wow . . . now I know how it feels to watch a train wreck happen right before your eyes.
Just what exactly was I supposed to be reading here, a sequel?

*pfft* Surely, you must be kidding me, 'cause I'm not, and don't call me Shirley!

This seemed like a good idea - one I don't feel should have been done. Ever. Jim is dead, you shouldn't be touching what isn't your own creation/imagination- and then it was put on paper and Stockholmed all the way to the shelves in major stores.

I feel dirty and really
Lydia Jones
Jul 20, 2014 Lydia Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
As a lover of all things Jim Henson's Labyrinth I was curious on what this graphic novel had to offer within the fiction world. I was impressed when my boyfriend handed me this graphic novel having known he knows nothing of the Labyrinth, film or not. I wanted to enter the world of Jareth's Labyrinth, reliving my childhood at nearly 20 years old.

I wondered where this journey would take me, introduce me to new characters and imaginative creatures. I was utterly impressed by the creation of a new
Mandi
May 11, 2012 Mandi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, library
A great sequel to one of my favorite movies. Definitely an interesting manga. It adds a couple of characters, like Moppet. I can't quite figure out what's going on with her though. You don't see her face at all in this volume. I wonder if she is a 'version' of Sarah that got stuck in the Labyrinth.

Toby is now in high school. Hates his mom. Sarah has moved out. He's not doing so great in school. He's a normal high school kid for the most part. One day he is working on a history report and when he
Donna
Nov 23, 2014 Donna rated it it was amazing
The only reason I had to read this book was because it's the sanctioned sequel to the movie Labyrinth (dear god, may Hollywood be smart enough to NEVER touch that one). Yeah, it's manga. Not my favorite thing. Angular people freak me out. But it's Labyrinth so try it I must. Please keep in mind this is only the second manga I've read. The first being James Patterson's Maximum Ride which I wasn't fond of at all.

But this one? This one I liked. A lot. The drawings weren't so crazy angular, there wa
El Templo
"Por increíbles peligros e innumerables fatigas me he abierto camino hasta el castillo más allá de la Ciudad de los Goblins, para recuperar el niño que me has robado. Así comenzaba, allá por 1986, un viaje fantástico a través del Laberinto, un mundo repleto de magia y encanto, donde nada es lo que parece y todo es mucho más de lo que aparenta, donde los relojes tienen trece horas, las rocas escuchan a quien sabe hablar su lenguaje y hasta los gusanos dan sabios consejos. En la película original, ...more
  • Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 1: The Garthim Wars
  • Bizenghast, Volume 6 (Bizenghast, #6)
  • Labyrinth: A Novel Based on the Jim Henson Film
  • The Serpent Awakes (Faerie Path: Lamia's Revenge, #1)
  • The Goblins of Labyrinth
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer and the Great Puppet Theater
  • Princess Ai: Lumination (Princess Ai, #2)
  • Finding Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #2)
  • The Lion Vrie
  • Magic Knight Rayearth I, Boxed Set (Magic Knight Rayearth, #1-3)
  • Princess Ai: The Prism of Midnight Dawn, Volume 1 (Princess Ai, #4)
  • Never Ceese (Thirsting for Blood, #1)
  • A Cut Above (The Shop-Til-U-Drop Collection #3)
  • Kami-Kaze, Volume 1
  • Sensual Phrase, Vol. 18
I make digital games & comics, but my heart belongs to good old-fashioned analog books.
More about Jake T. Forbes...

Return to Labyrinth (4 books)
  • Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 2