Start by marking “Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1

Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1 (Return to Labyrinth #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  1,173 ratings  ·  129 reviews
Returning home after his initial visit to Labyrinth, Toby has grown up, noticing that many things come easily to him, even when he's under pressure. Little does he know that Jareth, the Goblin King, has been looking out for his best interests.
Published August 8th 2006 by TokyoPop

To ask other readers questions about Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 1

The Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Secret Garden (Children's Classics) by Frances Hodgson BurnettHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanLabyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges
Mazes and Labyrinths
83rd out of 106 books — 73 voters
House at the End of the Street by Lily BlakeHalloween by Curtis RichardsRain Man by Leonore FleischerLegend of Sleepy Hollow by Peter LerangisHalo by Eric S. Nylund
Novelisation (Novelization) of FIlms
27th out of 30 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Monica!
As some of you may know, I love both the movie and novelization of Labyrinth long time. So when I heard there was a graphic novel series about Toby’s triumphant return to the Labyrinth, I was all, “SIGN ME UP.”

That was, like, five or six years ago.

I didn’t really get around to reading the series.

But now, friends! NOW is the moment when I am all, “Eh, I have twenty minutes, I’ll read the first book.”

So. While Goodread’s reviews seem to range from “This book actually sang like the angels when I o
Eden
... I hate how the cover is so beautiful but the inside art is armature. The plot is predictable, the characters without personality - a disgraceful sequel to the movie.
Willow
If you're thinking about reading this comic because you're feeling nostalgic for the amazing move, DON'T.
Starfire
Hmmmmmm... not overwhelmed with delight at this first instalment in the series so I suspect I won't go on to read the rest of it. It's not particularly bad - just... didn't live up to what I was expecting, I guess.

Toby as a character is... I guess he's realistic as a teenaged boy who seems to think he's the centre of the universe and whines a lot (which, again I guess, is actually not that far off how Sarah was portrayed in the movie, although Toby seems to be even less sympathetic to me - I cou
Whatchyareading
Oh my God, you guys, oh my God. I love Labyrinth, the movie. Have you seen it? Are you a fellow child of the ’80s like me? Then you love it, too. Of course you do.

Imagine my shock and amazement when I found out there was a manga series that was considered the official sequel to Labyrinth. And it came out five years ago! FIVE. Why didn’t someone tell me about this?

Well, if you were in the dark like me, this is me telling you about the official sequel. It’s a four-volume series and it’s essential
Nicola
I got all four of these books as an Xmas gift this year. I am a massive fan of the Labyrinth film and of Brain Froud's work, so when I first picked these up I was nervous as to whether these would be any good or not.
I have previously read bad reviews on these series and I'm not really into manga like graphic novels/comics.
As soon as I started reading them I couldn't put them down, I finished them within the week I think but then they are quite small. The illustrations are really lovely to look
Dian
Dec 01, 2008 Dian rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
One of the greatest disappointments of my life. And the cover is nothing but deceiving.
Heidi
I will be honest and admit that I am a "Labyrinth" fan. Not a fanatic. But something about seeing this movie when I was 6 or 7 (and possibly with older people--so that might have added to the experience) has made an impression on me. I mean, a movie that can make me laugh, cry, fear, and have nightmares is a pretty wide-ranging movie. Nightmares not only from the guys who take of their heads, but David Bowie in leggings. Ick!!! David Bowie aside, I was intrigued as a little girl by the character ...more
Rebecca
Despite the fact it's set years after the movie, Return to Labyrinth heavily references the movie in sequence, events, and lines. Toby seems far more capable of dealing with the mysterious labyrinth and its whimsical residents far better than his stepsister (who briefly appears) ever did.

In what really became too forced an effort to establish when the book (written twenty years after the movie came out) takes place (set about ten years after the events in the movie), current culture references a
Erin (PT)
This reads a lot like fan fiction; some of the wording is cribbed directly from the movie, though placed in different/new context and the characterization of the characters returning from the original seems shallow, taking their presentation from the movie as read without reading deeper. I also found it a little off-putting (though I'm not totally sure why) to see the world translated through a more Japanese sensibility. It wasn't bad, it just didn't fit with my perceptions of the Labyrinth worl ...more
Apr 28, 2014 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the movie Labyrinth
Shelves: 2014-book-list
I have loved this movie for longer than I can remember, so when I recently found that the story had been continued, I was ecstatic! For the most part I really enjoyed this book. The fact that it was about Toby - who we only met as a baby in the movie and was little more than a plot device to forward the action of the movie - was an interesting idea. I enjoyed seeing how Jareth, in attempting to fulfill Toby's wishes, inadvertently damaged Toby's reputation time and time again.

The only thing tha
Emma
With misleading beautiful art on the cover and weak, chibi-like art similar to the Kingdom Hearts spin-off manga on the inside, it's a dissapointment at first sight - especially if, like me, you bought it online. If you're thinking of buying it, try and look at it in a store first.

Looking past the art, there's the story - weak, rushed, and fanfiction-like, though no doubt a lot of fanfic writers could outdo this.

Just watch the movie again.
Franky
Truth be told, I picked this book up only because it was part of a reading challenge that required a graphic novel (having never read a graphic novel before). I figured I might as well pick up something that I was familiar with, seeing the 1986 version of Labyrinth (you know, the one with David Bowie and a teenage Jennifer Connelly) so long ago and revisiting it recently.

The reviews here are a mixed bag, so I didn’t know what to expect. Return to Labyrinth’s story seems to take off right where
Lydia Jones
As a lover of all things Jim Henson's Labyrinth I was curious on what this graphic novel had to offer within the fiction world. I was impressed when my boyfriend handed me this graphic novel having known he knows nothing of the Labyrinth, film or not. I wanted to enter the world of Jareth's Labyrinth, reliving my childhood at nearly 20 years old.

I wondered where this journey would take me, introduce me to new characters and imaginative creatures. I was utterly impressed by the creation of a new
Mandi
A great sequel to one of my favorite movies. Definitely an interesting manga. It adds a couple of characters, like Moppet. I can't quite figure out what's going on with her though. You don't see her face at all in this volume. I wonder if she is a 'version' of Sarah that got stuck in the Labyrinth.

Toby is now in high school. Hates his mom. Sarah has moved out. He's not doing so great in school. He's a normal high school kid for the most part. One day he is working on a history report and when he
Donna
The only reason I had to read this book was because it's the sanctioned sequel to the movie Labyrinth (dear god, may Hollywood be smart enough to NEVER touch that one). Yeah, it's manga. Not my favorite thing. Angular people freak me out. But it's Labyrinth so try it I must. Please keep in mind this is only the second manga I've read. The first being James Patterson's Maximum Ride which I wasn't fond of at all.

But this one? This one I liked. A lot. The drawings weren't so crazy angular, there wa
El Templo de las Mil Puertas
"Por increíbles peligros e innumerables fatigas me he abierto camino hasta el castillo más allá de la Ciudad de los Goblins, para recuperar el niño que me has robado. Así comenzaba, allá por 1986, un viaje fantástico a través del Laberinto, un mundo repleto de magia y encanto, donde nada es lo que parece y todo es mucho más de lo que aparenta, donde los relojes tienen trece horas, las rocas escuchan a quien sabe hablar su lenguaje y hasta los gusanos dan sabios consejos. En la película original, ...more
Talyn
HOLY MOTHERTRUCKING.. GOD.

This was one of the MOST horrible things I have EVER read.

Why...why?

I only recently discovered how freaking sexy David Bowie is as Jareth in The Labyrinth so I decided to immerse myself in any fanfiction and sequels possible. I read the reviews for this on here yesterday but thought "It can't be THAT bad, can it?"

I was wrong.. oh so wrong.. I'm glad I read it now though.. in a masochistic way, I'm glad I read it.. Now I have something to "use as basis" for another horri
Danielle
Aug 30, 2013 Danielle marked it as will-not-read
Judging by the reviews and my sister's insight(she is 11, which should give some context to her behavior) I don't think I want to read this. I checked this out from the library last week before making my sister watch Labyrinth. After I returned her back to my mom's house I realized that she had taken this with her (Going through my head:Ha! I knew she secretly loved this movie!) I came by to see her earlier this week to pick up some other books that needed returning to the library and I asked he ...more
Rebecca
I love Jim Henson. I love David Bowie. Safe to say I loved Labyrinth. It was amazing. I'll quite happily watch it any time. So I was surprised when I found out that I had missed out on a sequel, even if it was in a different format. And then I found that the company that printed it had gone bust or wrapped up... irrespective they were no more. Cue a lot of internet shopping and failure. If I wanted them in the UK I was looking at near-as-damn-it £50 a book. Sigh.

And then I was informed that the
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Ok, I'm a bit back to Jareth as a Pedo "I won't peak, I promise" ewwwww.

Last read: May 27th, 2009

This book seems to have been thought of with the sole purpose of making more money out of the Labyrinth franchise. It was and is an ill conceived idea that has an end result that is enjoyable, a sort of Monty Python meets Alice in Wonderland feel, but it's NOT LABYRINTH! This is not how I envisioned Labyrinth going on and I think it actually does a disservice to the movie that girls of my generation
Megan
Melissa Marsh
I loved the Labyrinth movie as a kid, still do, and this is a great continuation of that story, with all of my favorite characters, and some new ones. I love the humor, and the subtle nods to the movie, especially the prologue which basically outlines the story of the movie itself. This is a fantastic read, with amazing art, and I would recommend this in an instant, even to someone who had never seen the movie before. Then, I would recommend the movie to make it even better!
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Labyrinth being one of my all time favorite movies. Childhood movie actually, I had no idea there was even a series that continues after the events of the movie. And well, maybe I shouldn't had high expectations. I mean I liked it, don't get me wrong. The art style, the familiar characters were good. But I don't know, I guess I wanted to have Sarah back as the MC but still. Its a good start. And that ending, wow talk about awkward.
Trista DiGiuseppi
I bought this in the store, so I actually had the chance to flip through it before purchasing it. I knew ahead of time that the inside art would not match the cover, but in my experience with most manga/manga-like comic - this is the case. Thus, the topic is irrelevant in my review.

I gave it two stars because I purely enjoyed the little sequel, I love Labyrinth, and my desire to own this is purely out of nostalgia. The content isn't bad, but it is not written for an adult. So don't think you're
Zinz Vandermeer
Perhaps my reaction to this manga was in part to my series tendre for the David Bowie studded masterpiece, but I really, truly enjoyed Return to Labyrinth. I always wondered what happened to everyone after the movie, and to see Jareth caring after Toby. Seeing how things developed, and then Toby returning to come into his own, I just adored it. It was full of pretty and the same sense of wonder I got from the film.
Sara
I love the movie. It is my favorite movie in the whole entire world. But this? This is absolute rubbish. I normally hate to say bad hints about someone else's work because hey, could I really do any better? But in this case - I'm fairly certain I can. At the very least I could come up with my own plot line. This just uses the original story - tweaks it on a few places, introduces some new characters - but has them play out a Cinderella story (also not original) - and adds drawings.
The drawings
Rhi
The first thing you have to do when reading this series is to not think of if as a sequel to the movie. It's a separate story about Toby as a teenager, so don't expect a reunion between the movie characters. I'm a huge fan of the movie, obsessive even and I found it readable.
As a stand alone graphic novel its OK, the new characters are fun and likeable, however the old characters fail to resume their typical personalities and disappoint throughout the entire series.
The artwork is fine, nothing t
Jody Mena
Ha ha! I can't decide if this was wonderful or awful! The story was rather simplistic, the dialogue was pretty forced and the artwork was not what I expected. But it really made me smile, and it brought back fond memories of the movie, which is still one of my all time favorites to this day, so I'm going with wonderful! Jareth was especially in character, I thought, very melodramatic, meddlesome, difficult and glib! In the end, this is basically just Labyrinth fanfiction that happened to get dra ...more
Samantha Bryce
This was a great (and much needed/long awaited) follow up to the 1986 film "Labyrinth". What's interesting is the plot line that weaves in between Toby, Sarah, and Jareth and some new characters as well. It's very well written with an intriguing plot line coupled with fantastic artistry.
  • Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 1: The Garthim Wars
  • Labyrinth: A Novel Based on the Jim Henson Film
  • Bizenghast Volume 5
  • The Goblins of Labyrinth
  • Princess Ai: Lumination (Princess Ai, #2)
  • Codename: Sailor V, Vol. 2
  • Dramacon, Volume 3
  • The Serpent Awakes (Faerie Path: Lamia's Revenge, #1)
  • Princess Ai: The Prism of Midnight Dawn, Volume 1 (Princess Ai, #4)
  • Magic Knight Rayearth I, Boxed Set (Magic Knight Rayearth, #1-3)
  • The Dreaming, Vol. 3
  • Finding Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #2)
  • Pinocchio Vampire Slayer and the Great Puppet Theater
  • A Steal of a Deal (The Shop-Til-U-Drop Collection #2)
  • Never Ceese (Thirsting for Blood, #1)
  • Arata: The Legend, Vol. 01 (Arata: The Legend, #1)
I make digital games & comics, but my heart belongs to good old-fashioned analog books.
More about Jake T. Forbes...
Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 2 Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 3 Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 4 The Way of the Jedi (Star Wars: The Clone Wars Decide Your Destiny, #1) Jim Henson's Regreso al laberinto 2 / Jim Henson's Return to Labyrinth 2 (Jim Henson's Regreso Al Laberinto / Jim Henson's Return to Labyrinth) (Spanish Edition)