Start by marking “Superman vs. Hollywood: How Fiendish Producers, Devious Directors, and Warring Writers Grounded an American Icon” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Superman has fought for nearly seven decades to conquer radio, television, and film—but his battles behind the scenes have proved a far greater threat than any fictional foe. For the first time, one book unearths all the details of his turbulent adventures in Tinseltown.

Based on extensive interviews with producers, screenwriters, cast members, and crew, Superman vs. Hollyw
Published February 1st 2008 by Chicago Review Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Superman vs. Hollywood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman vs. Hollywood

Will Stape
A fun and informative history of the Man of Steel from his early print days, through radio and TV, up to Bryan Singer's movie'Superman Returns' - starring Brandon Routh as Clark 'Kal-El' Kent.

More than merely another comic encyclopedia or simple fact guide, the authors trace one of the most well known, popular and filmed super heroes in American pop culture history and provide tons of facts on how Superman struggled against real foes in the entertainment industry. From the quaint Superman movie
Brad Foster
Competent and well researched. Learned a lot about the behind-the-scenes drama of all the various Superman projects, those that we have seen and those that we never will see.
Robert Wright
Good, fun treatment of the subject. Obviously needs an update to bring it current.

Other than that, my only quibble is that its facts are sometimes shaky. Assertion and hearsay are presented as truths and old chestnuts that have been repeated are accepted as facts, even when they've been long disproved. In particular, the incidents around George Reeves and his appearance in From Here to Eternity in a non-Super role. No cuts were made based on public reaction at a preview screening. Director Fred
Bekki Suorez
The man is someone who will list Superman as his own personal Jesus, so I wasn't too surprised to fid this on the shared kindle account.

As a burgeoning (but by no means comprehensive) comics fan myself, and a passing fan of Superman, I started reading out of boredom - which quickly turned to genuine interest. The evolution of the comic, and how the character and story has been portrayed throughout the years, quickly pulled me in.

There were side mysteries and the like as well, which intrigued me.
This book is a really fun dishing of the dirt about just about every Superman project ever. Most notable for its long discussion of the total insanity surrounding the Donner/Lester movies and the detailing of various failed Superman projects through the 90s. I never thought I'd be so relieved to hear about failed Superman projects, but a movie where Luthor is a CIA agent assigned to hunt Kryptonians...and then in a twist we discover HE IS ACTUALLY KRYPTONIAN...yeah, I can live without that. It's ...more
Marco G
Awesome book; great retelling of the story of how Supes was been brought to radio, the small screen, and the big screen in spite of some really greedy, money hungry hollywood types with little appreciation for the Superman mythos. The pages covering everything post Superman IV were my favorite and the book is a walk down memory lane as many of the things covered were broken on aint it cool from 1999-2006. As an avid reader of the site I found myself thinking "Wow I remember reading that ...more
P.M. Bradshaw
I read this book while doing research for a class I was to give, Graphic Novels 101 (for OLSSI: the Ohio Library Support Staff Institute).

It was an excellent read. From the comic books, to the movies, to the radio show, to the TV shows, there seems to be no end to interesting stories about all the incarnations of Superman. If you're a fan of any of these, you'll find it an enjoyable read.
Jun 22, 2011 Craig rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Die-hard Superman fans who don't know everthing about the movies/TV
Recommended to Craig by: Mark Millar
Some interesting tidbits are buried in here (Jor El as a briefcase?! The old fella out of Keeping up with the Kardashians was nearly Superman?!) but it's let down by having to deal with the totality of Superman at the movies/on TV, so for example the crappy Superboy TV series gets the same amount of time dedicated to it as Superman II.
An entertaining look at the various radio, TV and film incarnations of the Man of Steel, and the occasional idiocy of the people trying to make these things. This book offers some jaw-droppers I didn't know about the making of the original Superman movies as well as the development hell plaguing the most recent clunker.
Joel Griswell
Terrific look not only into the history of the Man of Steel on the screen from his origins to now, but also a brutal look into Hollywood's corrupt system, tales of greed, extortion, lies and outright stupidity, not to mention insult upon insult to this American icon, a great look behind the curtain our popular media.
Bill Walsh
Learned a few new things, but not much I didn't already know. The writing itself needed alot of work. In fact, the person who checked this book out of the library before me actually made corrections to all of the grammatical errors with a pencil.
definitely a worthy read, if only for the casual superman fan to learn more about his on-screen exploits. toward the end, it gets a little slow as one then another actor/writer/director are shuffled into and out of focus, but still recommendable.
Samantha Hartke
Honest telling of the neverending battle to bring Big Blue to the small and big screens. Packed with interesting trivia. For the uninitiated, a good tell-all of Hollywood machinations.
I thought I knew everything about the behind the scenes drama of the Superman franchise, but this book showed me otherwise. Surprisingly hard to put down for a non fiction book.
Well-written overview of the radio/tv/film history of Superman... it's a wonder that comic book movies get made at all.
Anne Ibay
Wow, super interesting!!! Couldn't put it down. And foreword by Mark Millar!
Michael Brown
A very interesting book about the travails of bring Superman to life
Gabriel Sanders
I was hooked from page one.
Bobby Panichella
Bobby Panichella marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Fernando Alle
Fernando Alle marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Evan marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
  • Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday The 13th
  • Silent Movies: The Birth of Film and the Triumph of Movie Culture
  • The Devil's Candy: The Anatomy Of A Hollywood Fiasco
  • Superman: The Complete History
  • My Year of Flops: The A.V. Club Presents One Man's Journey Deep into the Heart of Cinematic Failure
  • The Making of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
  • The Dream Life: Movies, Media, And The Mythology Of The Sixties
  • Tales from the Script: 50 Hollywood Screenwriters Share Their Stories
  • Adaptations: From Short Story to Big Screen: 35 Great Stories That Have Inspired Great Films
  • The Ghastly One: The Sex-Gore Netherworld of Filmmaker Andy Milligan
  • Dark Carnival: The Secret World of Tod Browning, Hollywood's Master of the Macabre
  • The New Deal: A Modern History