Start by marking “Haunted Houses of California: A Ghostly Guide” as Want to Read:
Haunted Houses of California: A Ghostly Guide

Haunted Houses of California: A Ghostly Guide

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  12 reviews
From San Diego’s Whaley House to Sonoma’s Valley of the Moon Saloon, California offers an amazing array of haunted sites. Enriched with historical background and generously illustrated, this fascinating, fun-to-read guide documents dozens of chill-inducing spots throughout the state, including hotels, bars, schools, historic buildings, and natural areas. Among the intrigui
Published September 14th 1993 by Wide World Publishing, Tetra (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Haunted Houses of California, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted Houses of California

Kathleen
I'm thinking that this charming book itself is haunted. I'd think that after three revisions, updates and expansions over the course of sixteen years that someone could have fixed the murky, undated photos, the missing captions, the punctuation and spacing hijinks and primitive misspellings. The apostrophes have a life of their own and some of the writing and quotes are subject to sudden disappearances. Still, I enjoyed this book, it's really very cute and has an index and good spirit.
Colleen
I liked this book. I mainly picked it up because I wanted to know more about the haunting of the Hotel del Coronado, nearby where I grew up. It's a great book with some good info on hauntings throughout the state of California.

One thing that continued to trip me up as I read it was the errant spelling errors. At one point, a house that was built in 1829 was cited as being photographed in the 15th century. Anyone who knows anything about that kind of thing knows photographs didn't exist until the
James Phillips
A nice book on haunted houses and hotels in California: You get to know the back story of each haunted place and their location: just in case you want to check it out for yourself. Not to worry, all locations mentioned in the book are accessible to the public. I really like how well the author research the local lore of each story so as to give the reader a better understanding of why a particular location obtained it's reputation as being haunted.
Angela
Disappointed. I was looking for a good mix of historical background and ghostly encounters. At times, the history was confusing to follow and little attention was given to the spectral. I found numerous typos, grammatical errors, and sentences that suddenly stopped. There wasn't enough evidence to convince me of why any location was deemed "haunted". Would have liked to have more about personal encounters (the author's or otherwise).
Liz
I bought this book while I was travelling in California in May. I enjoyed learning about the history of the various houses May includes in her book but I did feel as though there wasn't enough focus on the spooky going-ons in some of the locations. The various spelling mistakes, punctuation errors, etc where annoying which is why I only gave the book two stars instead of three.
Josephine
I liked this book because it was very interesting and a bit creepy because it talks about many houses that people think are haunted. this guide describes how some people actually tries to go in and explore the house. it also describes how quiet the neighborhood and how people began moving away.
Jan 15, 2009 Jennifer added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I just briefly skimmed through it, and then returned it to the library. I was curious to see what kind of places they'd include. It may be a good read - I don't really know. That's why I didn't give it a star rating - I didn't really give it a chance.
Deanna
I actually used this book as a guide back in the day of places to go and have my picture taken at, hoping that somewhere in the background would be a huge scary ghost head or something, lol.
Audrey Harrell
I loved this book, I am originally from California and have visited many of these amazing locations with book in tow to know the histories!

Highly recommend!
Gretchen
Toys R Us ghost. Winchester Mystery House. And a whole lot of stories that get creepier the longer you read.
Ruth
fun book about many of the haunted houses. Of course, the Winchester House is in there.
Kristie
Best book to read to children while camping ;)
Chris Craig
Chris Craig marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Laura Ketterman
Laura Ketterman marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Sheena Baker
Sheena Baker marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Maren Scheel-nock
Maren Scheel-nock marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jennah
Jennah marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Pilate's Wife The Sacred Well A mulher de Pilatos Witness to War: A Biography of Marguerite Higgins Passionate Pilgrim: The Extraordinary Life of Alma Reed