Start by marking “Haunted Houses of California: A Ghostly Guide” as Want to Read:
Haunted Houses of California: A Ghostly Guide

Haunted Houses of California: A Ghostly Guide

From San Diego’s Whaley House to Sonoma’s Valley of the Moon Saloon, California offers an amazing array of haunted sites. Enriched with historical background and generously illustrated, this fascinating, fun-to-read guide documents dozens of chill-inducing spots throughout the state, including hotels, bars, schools, historic buildings, and natural areas. Among the intrigui
Published September 14th 1993 by Wide World Publishing, Tetra (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Haunted Houses of California, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted Houses of California

Kathleen
May 18, 2010 Kathleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: benicia, 2010
I'm thinking that this charming book itself is haunted. I'd think that after three revisions, updates and expansions over the course of sixteen years that someone could have fixed the murky, undated photos, the missing captions, the punctuation and spacing hijinks and primitive misspellings. The apostrophes have a life of their own and some of the writing and quotes are subject to sudden disappearances. Still, I enjoyed this book, it's really very cute and has an index and good spirit.
Tonya
Jun 06, 2016 Tonya rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book. It was recommended to me a few years ago by my mother-in-law who loves ghost stories as much as I do. I could not put the book down. The author provides great historical background details to help the reader really understand what caused these spirits to linger. They were very thorough in their research and the stories were so intriguing I didn't want the book to be over. I just may read it again!
Lori
Feb 05, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it
I bought a box of ghost story books from one of my favorite authors in the genre. She was clearing out her online bookstore and $50 bought a box full of them. Most of them have been ok, one was absolutely unreadable, and, so far, this one has been the best. It is well-written, throws in a good amount of history, and isn't full of the gobblety-gook that one sometimes finds in the genre.
Colleen
Sep 20, 2011 Colleen rated it liked it
I liked this book. I mainly picked it up because I wanted to know more about the haunting of the Hotel del Coronado, nearby where I grew up. It's a great book with some good info on hauntings throughout the state of California.

One thing that continued to trip me up as I read it was the errant spelling errors. At one point, a house that was built in 1829 was cited as being photographed in the 15th century. Anyone who knows anything about that kind of thing knows photographs didn't exist until the
James Phillips
Jun 02, 2013 James Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice book on haunted houses and hotels in California: You get to know the back story of each haunted place and their location: just in case you want to check it out for yourself. Not to worry, all locations mentioned in the book are accessible to the public. I really like how well the author research the local lore of each story so as to give the reader a better understanding of why a particular location obtained it's reputation as being haunted.
Angela
Apr 13, 2011 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointed. I was looking for a good mix of historical background and ghostly encounters. At times, the history was confusing to follow and little attention was given to the spectral. I found numerous typos, grammatical errors, and sentences that suddenly stopped. There wasn't enough evidence to convince me of why any location was deemed "haunted". Would have liked to have more about personal encounters (the author's or otherwise).
Liz
Jun 03, 2011 Liz rated it it was ok
Shelves: ghost-stories
I bought this book while I was travelling in California in May. I enjoyed learning about the history of the various houses May includes in her book but I did feel as though there wasn't enough focus on the spooky going-ons in some of the locations. The various spelling mistakes, punctuation errors, etc where annoying which is why I only gave the book two stars instead of three.
Josephine
Jun 03, 2009 Josephine rated it really liked it
Shelves: 10thgrade-books
I liked this book because it was very interesting and a bit creepy because it talks about many houses that people think are haunted. this guide describes how some people actually tries to go in and explore the house. it also describes how quiet the neighborhood and how people began moving away.
Jan 15, 2009 Jennifer added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I just briefly skimmed through it, and then returned it to the library. I was curious to see what kind of places they'd include. It may be a good read - I don't really know. That's why I didn't give it a star rating - I didn't really give it a chance.
Deanna
Jan 05, 2009 Deanna rated it really liked it
I actually used this book as a guide back in the day of places to go and have my picture taken at, hoping that somewhere in the background would be a huge scary ghost head or something, lol.
Audrey Harrell
Sep 10, 2008 Audrey Harrell rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, I am originally from California and have visited many of these amazing locations with book in tow to know the histories!

Highly recommend!
Gretchen
Mar 02, 2013 Gretchen rated it liked it
Toys R Us ghost. Winchester Mystery House. And a whole lot of stories that get creepier the longer you read.
Ruth
Apr 23, 2010 Ruth rated it really liked it
fun book about many of the haunted houses. Of course, the Winchester House is in there.
Kristie
Dec 14, 2013 Kristie rated it it was amazing
Best book to read to children while camping ;)
Chris Gress
Chris Gress marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Debbie Rees
Debbie Rees rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Shelly Cloud
Shelly Cloud marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Renee Cowdery
Renee Cowdery rated it it was ok
Jun 30, 2016
David Ostrander
David Ostrander marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Amanda Holzhausen
Amanda Holzhausen marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Heather Santiago
Heather Santiago marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Tashia
Tashia rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Adam Schulz
Adam Schulz marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Elizabeth Marie
Elizabeth Marie rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016