Start by marking “The New Time Travelers: A Journey to the Frontiers of Physics” as Want to Read:
The New Time Travelers: A Journey to the Frontiers of Physics

The New Time Travelers: A Journey to the Frontiers of Physics

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Since H. G. Wells' 1895 classic The Time Machine, readers of science fiction have puzzled over the paradoxes of time travel. What would happen if a time traveler tried to change history? Would some force or law of nature prevent him? Or would his action produce a "new" history, branching away from the original?

In the last decade of the twentieth century a group of theoreti
Published July 17th 2007 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published July 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The New Time Travelers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Time Travelers

Mike
Apr 24, 2008 Mike is currently reading it
HOLY CRAP and WTF?! This stuff is real! Takes me awhile to wrap my head around each new chapter, but damn! I'm quickly becoming obsessed with physics.....
Todd
Jul 16, 2009 Todd rated it liked it
David Toomey's book is interesting, but doesn't really break any new ground. He's essentially rehashing all the same ideas that have already been presented by established scientists like Stephen Hawking in "A Brief History of Time" and Brian Greene in "The Fabric of the Cosmos" and "The Elegant Universe".

As a non-scientist, but technical writer, Toomey does a good job of presenting hard to comprehend concepts in exotic physics, and the book really excels in giving a history of where some of the
Rochelle
Put theoretical physics in close to layman's terms. Explained time travel well enough so even a weak background in physics made it easier to understand. I don't get all of it but I get more than before I read it haha
Jeremiah Genest
Jan 14, 2008 Jeremiah Genest rated it liked it
Shelves: science
David Toomey describes in fascinating detail all the ways current science allows for time travel (and there are a lot!). From Einstein's general theory of relativity to wormholes and closed time-like curves, this is an entertaining and authoritative survey of a mind-blowing, scarcely believable field, and the story of the theoretical physicists at the forefront of its study.
Roger
Apr 19, 2009 Roger rated it it was ok
Not exactly what I hoped it would be, namely, a more detailed view of the topic, the book felt more like a incoherent collection of short stories about physicists bickering. The interesting chapter - and the only reason for a second star - was the one about black holes.

Oh, and a good side effect was that after reading ten pages I was usually ready to go to fall asleep.
Sue
Feb 09, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it
Sorry to say I didn't finish it before it was due at the library, and I knew I wouldn't have time to if I renewed it. What I DID read was fascinating, though. If you're looking for something comprehensible on the quantum mechanics of time travel, it's the book for you.
Peter
Oct 28, 2009 Peter rated it liked it
Pretty good overall. Good mix of the history of physics and the application of it as it pertains to our world in general and time travel theory specifically. If you're looking for hard-core science, this might not be for you, but it's generally a good text.
Scott
Apr 11, 2008 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: time, science
This is a pretty readable account of the history of physicists' inquiries into the possibility of time travel. It doesn't get too bogged down in arcane scientific details and is, for the most part, accessible to the lay person.
Kyler Tolman
Feb 21, 2016 Kyler Tolman rated it it was amazing
Seriously one of the most mind blowing books I've ever read. I enjoyed every page and the many hours consumed in thoughts about the physics and possibilities presented. I would love to keep rereading this book.
James Pratt
Feb 27, 2012 James Pratt rated it really liked it
A book about speculative science that reads like a collection of plot kernels for science fiction novels. I didn't understand all of it but still found it pretty dang entertaining.
Sean Vallor
Sep 05, 2013 Sean Vallor rated it liked it
A very readable book with good explanations of some interesting possibilities in theoretical physics. You could say it is worth the time to travel to a place where you can obtain a copy.
Shan
Sep 21, 2012 Shan rated it liked it
Very interesting but gave me a headache trying to comprehend the ideas the book conveyed.
Chris capp
May 06, 2014 Chris capp rated it liked it
Very techie and physics based. Awesome ideas not sure these will be the pathway though...
Greg Berghorn
Feb 19, 2008 Greg Berghorn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mike Karp
Shelves: the-deep-end
Time travel discussion is no longer just in the fiction section of the library.
Rohit Thawani
Aug 31, 2012 Rohit Thawani rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm too stupid for this book
Binyam
Binyam marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Kenneth
Kenneth marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Jeffrey L Payne
Jeffrey L Payne is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2016
John
John is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Francisco J. Aviles
Francisco J. Aviles rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
William Scherz
William Scherz marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Kristel
Kristel is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2016
Rajesh
Rajesh marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Dark Side of the Enlightenment: Wizards, Alchemists, and Spiritual Seekers in the Age of Reason
  • A Different Universe: Reinventing Physics from the Bottom Down
  • The Patton Papers: 1940-1945
  • Silent Hunter
  • Einstein's Clocks, Poincaré's Maps: Empires of Time
  • Exiles To Glory
  • The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows, 1946-Present
  • The Moscow Option: An Alternative Second World War
  • The Dracula Caper (Time Wars, #8)
  • Teach Yourself Speed Reading