Start by marking “Fortytude: Making the Next Decades the Best Years of Your Life -- Through the 40s, 50s, and Beyond” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Fortytude: Making the ...

Sarah Brokaw

In Fortytude, therapist Sarah Brokaw presents a new understanding of how women can greet midlife with strength and freedom. Brokaw, who happens to be the daughter of Tom Brokaw and who is herself in her late 30s, will share personal experiences as well as professional wisdom-- in a lively, engaging voice. In her practice, Brokaw specializes in female clients between 35 and ...more
Audio CD
Published by MacMillan Audio (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fortytude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortytude

Melissa
May 12, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Some interesting observations by Ms. Brokaw who is not yet 40 but as a therapist treats many women who are older than she. I think it tries to cover too much too shallowly.
Renee
May 18, 2011 Renee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh.
Laura Gerber
This book did not tell me anything I did not already know and use in my own practice but put different terminology and metaphors to it that make good sense and may work with many of my clients. Good, practical book.
Kristal Cooper
Feb 03, 2012 Kristal Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Brokaw uses her 10 years of exerience as a therapist to help talk women who are turning "The Big Four-Oh" down from the ledge. Apparently, this landmark age causes most women to question their choices, to give up on their dreams, and to fear the reaper. In this book, Brokaw systematically identifies each hang-up and then explains why they're unfounded, gives mental exercises to help you get past them, and then backs it up with a profile of a woman who had a similar break-through.

It seems l
~mad
Apr 20, 2011 ~mad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any of my young female friends or even their mothers
Recommended to ~mad by: no one
Shelves: booksiveread
I bought this book because I was interested in what the daughter of a great writer like Tom Brokaw had to say. She is s therapist in California and injects information and experiences that she herself has had. Fortytude is realizing that while you can' control what happens to you, you CAN control yor reactions to life's events.

The fact that I read this book in a day and overnight while trying to recuperate from a lousy fall and resultant bruises and stitiches is a testament to how engrossing the
Erica
Sep 17, 2012 Erica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I was not terribly impressed with this. My mom heard her interviewed on television and told me about it. I thought it had potential. Not so much. My main issues with the book are very specific. First, although she makes mention of women who choose not to have children, or have made peace with the reality that as much isn't in the cards, she tends to pay them short shrift. Then there is the economic issue -- many of the women she profiles obviously have the financial means to change the direction ...more
Penny Ramirez
3.5 stars. I got some good affirmations out of this book, but frankly, I skimmed the last 3rd because it held less of interest for me.

I liked the transformation of midlife crisis to "sparkling moment" - what a great way to think about it!

And the final quote I took - paraphrased, since I no longer have the book in my possession - you can't change what has happened to you, but you can change your narrative (my emphasis). Very powerful.

A timely book for me. (Even though I've been in my forties for
Elizabeth
Jul 03, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My mom brought this home after hearing Sarah Brokaw speak at a convention. Since I'm liable to read anything lying around the house, I picked it up and read it in about a weekend. It's self-help, obviously, and a little bit preachy at times, but overall I found it a quick, inspiring read. I could relate to several of the women Brokaw profiled in her book -- even though, at 27, I am not quite the target audience (but to paraphrase Meg Ryan's character said in When Harry Met Sally, I'm going to be ...more
Jeehye
Jun 21, 2014 Jeehye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going into 40s means something for most of women, starting to worry about their status, achievements, no-turning-back aging, biological clocking ticking etc, and this book, although some what over-generalization with a few anecdotes, provided some words of advice and a sense of comfort that getting old isnt such a bad idea but can be a chance of lifetime depending on how you see and capitalize on it. This book can easily be skimmed thru, doesnt need a perusal thought process.
Kari
Feb 16, 2015 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
OK, so it only took me two years to read this book, gifted to me on my 40th birthday to help celebrate entering the 5th decade of my life. I drank in the words slowly, reflecting on adventure, achievement, and spirituality and the rest as I begin the next phase of the journey of my life.
Drawing on the strength of myself, my life experiences, and my resolutions, this book helped arm me with new ways of thinking about the next decade.
Katherine Blocksdorf
I thought this book was okay. There were no paradigm shifting moments for me. But there may be some solace for those anticipating the big 4-0 with trepidation here. I couldn't relate to the lives of many of the women discussed in the book. It was easy to read, entertaining, but I don't know that many of the stories used reflected the experiences of those of us whose lives are a little more 'common'.
Marie
May 01, 2011 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
What an excellent book! Sarah Brokaw does a great job of presenting women over 40 with five core values that we should embrace: grace, connectedness, acoomplishment, adventure, and spirituality. The interviews with women all over the country were very interesting to read, and I could relate to several of their stories. This made me feel inspired to look forward to the second have of my life with excitement!
Brenda Hoover
I read this because of topic and Sarah is Tom Brokaw's daughter. The book is well written and uses women's profiles that I could identify with; however there are no huge revelations in this book about getting older and embracing age with wisdom. I was hoping for something a little more fresh but overall the book was inspirational.
Leslie Whitehurst
Aug 08, 2013 Leslie Whitehurst rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-hold
I was really looking forward to reading this book, but I just can't get into it. Too many stories about women trying to decide on motherhood vs. career, or both, etc.... I am way past that. I was looking for a book to inspire me as I get ready for an empty nest and the next chapter of my life. Maybe I'll try it again later, but for now I'm done with this book.
Christy
Feb 29, 2016 Christy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I only gave it 2 chapters, but PLEASE! Tell me something new - something I don't know. Most women are petrified to turn 40? No one I know. Magazines give us an unattainable body/beauty image to strive for? Really? Never heard THAT before.
Maybe she's a good therapist, but I think she's counting on that famous name to cash in.
Amy
Jun 27, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, by Sarah Brokaw (daughter of Tom) is very interesting, but sometimes depressing. The subtitle is: Making the Next Decades the Best Years of Your Life - through the 40s, 50s, and Beyond.

Some things I grasped very easily, while others could be a challenge. Still, it's up to me (you) how you live your life. :)
Heather
Jan 31, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
Every gal in their thirties should read, and be prepared for the forties. It was nice to hear someone talk about what it feels like to have successful parents and siblings, what it feels like to be single in their forties. Nice stories. Especially liked her story about 9/11
Lynette Rambousek
I'd give it a 3.5 as it kept my interest and had some great advise. Did enjoy the examples of peoples lives as Sarah Brokaw drilled home her ideas and reasons. The chapter on spirituality was quite new age thinking and I didn't agree with it but to each their own.
Jenny
Jul 27, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a woman turning 40 this year, the title caught my eye. Overall, I enjoyed the book. It gave a positive impression of 40 and beyond and layed out a framework which was easy to read. The women featured in the books had interesting stories.
Itasca Community Library
Tuki says:

Sarah Brokaw had interesting points in the book that women of all ages can benefit from knowing and being aware. The added bonus of the book is that Sarah Brokaw writes in a very candid manner about the closeness and solidarity of the Brokaw family.
Susan
Jan 26, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far into this book I find it very very good especially the chapter she wrote on "girl friendships"
to be continued. the book is well worth the read.

I myself am into 60tude fun to be 70tude.
Karen
Aug 18, 2011 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just started this book on Wednesday, and so far it is very good. My dad sent it to me in the mail. It isn't something I'd have picked up on my own, since I usually read fiction.
Elisa M
May 28, 2011 Elisa M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me to change my attitude (for the better), but overall it was nothing I hadn't heard before. It's just good to be reminded sometimes.
Jude
Apr 06, 2013 Jude rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not great. Expected much more of a theory or strategy to hold into. Not sure if this book just got published because of her famous father?
Julie Lenoch
Ok, this book is for women of all ages. Thank you, Sarah. You answered so many questions and opened so many doors for me as I enter my fifth decade, but, I'm having my 25 year old read it to!!
Darcy
Apr 06, 2011 Darcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great topics and anecdotal information.Reads like a series of short magazine articles rather than a book. Good start to discussion of numerous topics. Left me wanting more.
Marti
Jul 11, 2011 Marti marked it as shelved-indefinitely  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Brokaw will give the keynote address at the AAUW National Convention 6/18/11 so I will attempt to be familiar with her writing before then.
Diana
Mar 13, 2011 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not just for 40-year-olds. I am so glad I read this book during this very challenging time in my life!
Christopher Rising
Not a book I would normally read- but, Sarah is an old friend, very glad I read it and highly recommend it!!
Marie Routledge
Marie Routledge rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Midlife Crisis at 30
  • Mend My Broken Heart
  • Ella Bella
  • Christmasing With You
  • The Survival of the Soul
  • FLAWD: How to Stop Hating on Yourself, Others, and the Things That Make You Who You Are
  • Secrets About Life Every Woman Should Know: Ten Principles for Total Emotional and Spiritual Fulfillment
  • Girl in the Kitchen: How a Top Chef Cooks, Thinks, Shops, Eats & Drinks
  • A Decade of Hope: Stories of Grief and Endurance from 9/11 Families and Friends
  • Childfree and Loving It!
  • A Seeking Heart (Mountain Lakes #1)
  • Stairs of Sand
  • Beyond Motherhood: Choosing Life Without Children
  • Playing It by Heart: Taking Care of Yourself No Matter What
  • Happy: Simple Steps to Get the Most Out of Life
  • Love Finds You in Glacier Bay, Alaska
  • Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents: 7 Ways to Stop the Worry Cycle and Raise Courageous & Independent Children
  • The Ultimate Volumetrics Diet: Smart, Simple, Science-Based Strategies for Losing Weight and Keeping It Off