Start by marking “The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher

The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,403 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
Mr. Jeremy has a day full of the worst fisherman's mishaps when he sets out to catch minnows for his dinner.

The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher, like Peter Rabbit, began life as an illustrated letter to a young child. It was written when Beatrix Potter was on holiday in Scotland where her father and his friends enjoyed fishing expeditions.
Published January 1st 1906 by Frederick Warne and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher

Ronyell
Jun 06, 2011 Ronyell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beatrix Potter fans!!
For my entire life, I have been reading Beatrix Potter's works and I had enjoyed most of the ones I had read! Now, I had picked up an old classic from my childhood, “The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher.” In this tale, Mr. Jeremy Fisher, a distinguished frog, begins having the adventure of a lifetime when he goes out to fish for minnows for his dinner. “The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher” is a delightful tale that every child will enjoy forever!

There once lived a frog named Mr. Jeremy Fisher who lived in a
Beth - I SNIFF BOOKS
I don’t remember reading any Beatrix Potter as a child so when I saw a basket full of small-sized Beatrix Potter books at my library, I borrowed a few.

The Tale of Mr Jeremy Fisher begins with Jeremy deciding to dig up some worms so he can go fishing for minnows for his dinner. Jeremy decides that if he catches more than five, he will invite his friends Mr. Alderman Ptolemy Tortoise and Sir Isaac Newton to join him.

So after gathering his supplies and then changing clothes, Jeremy sets sail on hi
GoldGato
Beatrix Potter's books always appealed to me because food was always involved. I grew up fervently believing in rabbits and mice and frogs having well stocked larders within their homes. And the tea! Always a hot cuppa waiting on the table for the protagonists when they completed their adventures.

The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher comes complete with food, adventure, friends...and a well stocked larder. Butterfly sandwiches and roasted grasshoppers abound. And there's also Mr. Alderman Ptolemy Tortoi
Reenie
Mar 18, 2009 Reenie rated it it was amazing
This has been my favourite Beatrix Potter story for a long long time - which is amusing now seeing that I work with frogs. Which makes you notice different things when you go back and read them later. Unlike most children's authors writing about animals, she managed to anthropomorphise animals while still retaining the point about the animal. Jeremy Fisher may be wearing a mackintosh and galoshes, but he's quite obviously still a frog, and he behaves like one (although he doesn't sing, sadly). T ...more
From BBC School Radio:
One very wet morning Mr Jeremy Fisher, the frog, goes fishing for some tasty minnows for a dinner party. So begins a day of dramatic mishaps for Jeremy Fisher, but at least he has a story to share with his friends at dinner...
Prashant
Mar 23, 2012 Prashant rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
A frog named Jeremy decides to go for fishing but rather ends up being attacked by a stickleback and a trout. What’s the stuff here about a lizard being named Isaac Newton. Is there some irony here that I am not able to see?
Linda
Every Potter book just convinces me further - love love love the illustrations. Boring and/or scary stories tho. (My kids have never been able to sit through one of her books either)
John Yelverton
Mar 06, 2012 John Yelverton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun and delightful book from the mind of Beatrix Potter.
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
Allison
Sep 01, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Toddlers and up
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 BYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
Beatrix Potter's children's stories are wonderful and timeless. The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher is one of her lesser well-known stories of which there are about a dozen.

The story is engaging and Mr. Jeremy is an intriguing fellow. Parts of his house are always wet and "he liked getting his feet wet; nobody ever scolded him and he never caught a cold!" Children are always being told not to get their feet wet (sometimes they're told they'll get a cold if they do). This, along with a host of things
Jen Book Nook
Dec 22, 2015 Jen Book Nook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
** 4.5 stars **
Mimi
Mar 04, 2012 Mimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-children
This one seemed like it might especially appeal to boys. Although I don't know why frogs seem like a more boy thing to me. The drawings of the frogs were beautiful. And the newt was really cool, too. I loved the "macintosh and goloshes." It seems like no one dresses for rainy weather anymore. Maybe it's because we just rush from our cars into buildings (and vice versa) and never spend any time out in the rain.
Marfita
Aug 28, 2015 Marfita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Perhaps I had missed this in the Beatrix Potter canon. Mr. Jeremy Fisher plans to go fishing, hoping to invite Mr. Alderman Ptolemy Tortoise and Sir Isaac Newton (see what she did there?) over for a minnow-y meal. Things don't go as he had planned and Mr. Jeremy Fisher not only does not live up to his name, but barely escapes with his life.
His friends join him for dinner anyway (Mr. Alderman bringing his own dinner: a salad in a string bag. Who doesn't know a guest like that?).
I look at the cha
Jonathan
Aug 03, 2014 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr Jeremy Fisher has invited some friends around for a meal, no doubt inspired to entertain by reality TV show Come Dine With Me. What could be better than freshly caught minnows? he thinks, and off he goes in search of his ingredients. As anyone knows, this is the wrong way to go about preparing for a meal, especially as the chain supermarkets have made it abundantly clear that everything you could ever want is available from them, at a fraction of the price, contained in partly-recyclable pack ...more
jacky
After reading a couple Beatrix Potter books I thought were duds, I enjoyed this one. It wasn't bogged down in too many outdated details and it had a nice little plot. Cute moral of always wearing your raincoat :)
Neville Ridley-smith
My kids (15, 12, 9) & I are reading through the Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter. This is book 8.

Wonderful artwork as always with a rather odd but amusing story. Mostly it's Mr Fisher going fishing in preparation for receiving guests - a newt called Sir Isaac Newton and a tortoise who's going to bring his own lunch - salad.

Like so many of the other Beatrix Potter books, there's not a lot of plot development. The newt and tortoise appear at the end and the tale finishes. And I have the feelin
Kristín Vilhjálmsdóttir
There is something deeply satisfying in picturing a banquet of roasted grasshopper with ladybird sauce, catering for the inner child.
Ilze
May 30, 2014 Ilze rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ilze by: Faye Lewis
Maybe I expected more of Beatrix Potter because my childhood imagination had blown it all out of perspective. Now that I'm reading her as an adult I'm disappointed.
Jill
Mar 11, 2015 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The more I read of Beatrix Potter the more I am beginning to love her. I had never read more than Peter Rabbit when I was young and that story repeated over and over did not engender any sort of fandom for Miss Potter. It's a bit of a blunt snub to an amazing artist and writer, but with exposure to one work I hardly knew her.

I apologize for all my snobbery.

Mrs. Tiggy-Winkel began to win me over to the side of all Beatrix Potter fans. And now The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher and his adventures in p
Maria Eleynita
Epic fail fishing for Mr. Jeremy, haha! I wonder what butterfly sandwich taste like. hmmmm!!
Annie
May 18, 2011 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is lovely, very enjoyable and always keeps you thinking!
Jill Wolf
Traditional Literature #20
This book is about a frog named Mr. Jeremy Fisher who lives by a pond. He goes out on a rainy day and gets worms in hopes of catching enough minnows to invite some of his friends over for dinner. As he goes fishing, he hits many road bumps. When he finally escapes the trout, he decides that he shouldn't go fishing again. Instead of his minnows, he and a couple of his friends had a grasshopper for supper.
B-zee
May 09, 2014 B-zee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Agak lebih panjang daripada Peter Rabbit (dan lebih banyak kosa katanya), tetapi tidak sepanjang Jemima Puddle-Duck.

Jeremy sang katak ini mengajak kita ke suasana 'persiapan piknik', yang meski tak berjalan dengan lancar, toh akhirnya tetap piknik juga.

Pada setiap piknik pasti melibatkan makanan. Tetapi bersiap-siap saja untuk yang bukan 'pemakan segala', menu Jeremy mungkin sedikit...tidak mengundang selera :)
Chrystal Phillips
Jun 18, 2015 Chrystal Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Crawford
Jan 26, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another book by Beatrix Potter, copyright 1906. This one also features illustrations that are all in color, unlike some of the other story books.

Mr. Jeremy Fisher is a frog. It's a funny sort of tale about a frog that goes fishing for minnows and nearly ends up being eaten by a fish himself. It's another of the stories that shows that life among the animals is not the happiest sort of life that there is; it can be quite rough at times.
Rocky Curtiss
Aug 07, 2015 Rocky Curtiss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went to the library today to browse. I had read C. S. Lewis loved Beatrix Potter books as a young boy. While browsing I pulled this book off the shelf. I hadn't read anything of Ms. Potter's since Peter Rabbit when I was very young. I believe I can appreciate her genius more at 71 than when I was six. Thoroughly enjoyed this little gem of a book.
Erma Talamante
Dec 04, 2014 Erma Talamante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s
A classic from Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit collection. Mr. Jeremy Fisher, a frog, goes out fishing, and gets more than he bargained for, and comes home without a fish dinner. The story details Mr. Fisher's fishing adventure, and ends with a nice dinner with friends, after all. A good story for any little fisherman or girl.
Kaethe
A brief tale about the hazards of fishing and the importance of wearing a rain coat and galoshes even if one is a frog and thus, water-proof of skin.

And also: eating bugs is nasty, but better to invite your friends for a bug feast than get killed attempting to provide richer fair.

Personal copy.
Kathryn
Beatrix Potter has such fun names for her characters. Mr. Jeremy Fisher's friend were Sir Isaac Newton and Mr. Alderman Ptolemy Tortoise. Such delight!
Jul 29, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter loves these "little books"! She has loved to check them out at the library as soon as she was old enough to walk and carry a book around! Very cute pictures and easy reading to kiddos!
  • Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)
  • The Snowman
  • Max (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Kate Greenaway's Mother Goose
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • Peter in Blueberry Land
  • The Aesop for Children
  • Moses the Kitten
  • Mr. Tickle (Mr. Men, #1)
  • The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes
  • Little Fur Family
  • Babar and His Children
  • Dogger
  • Flower Fairies of the Spring
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit