Start by marking “Jew vs. Jew: The Struggle for the Soul of American Jewry” as Want to Read:
Jew vs. Jew: The Struggle for the Soul of American Jewry

Jew vs. Jew: The Struggle for the Soul of American Jewry

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Explores the meaning of Judaism in America today, concluding that beneath its prosperous exterior, American Jews are bitterly divided along sectarian and political lines.
Published August 10th 2000 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Jew vs. Jew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jew vs. Jew

I am a novice on the subject of Jews. I’ve always known that Jesus was a Jew and that makes us all family of a sort, Christians and Jews. I believe in supporting Israel. I’ve often had a Jewish doctor. I have Jewish friends. It was the Israeli National website that I turned to on 9/11 to gain insight on how to protect my family from assorted terrorist weapons. One of my favorite documentaries is Raid on the Reactor:

I find it comforting to know that Israe
Simcha Wood
Jew vs. Jew provides a well-investigated and engaging account of the various cultural and theological struggles that have arisen within Judaism, and particularly within the Jewish-American community. Freedman brings his narrative and investigative journalistic skills to bear on a series of anecdotes that explore such issues within the Jewish community as conversion standards, intermarriage, the role of women in public ritual, the future of Israel and the Palestinians, and inter-denominational co ...more
the author thinks that Orthodox and liberal Judaism are on a course for serious schism, which he proves through a series of anecdotes (nicely written, quite generous in portrayal of some people who act like jerks) about clashes between "traditionalists" and "revisionaries." I use scare quotes of course because the "traditionalists" are only interested in their received version of tradition, and "revisionists" often have many faith-based non-negotiables.

anyway, he takes us through several intract
I found this a very useful look at how the different strains of Judaism have evolved in the U.S. And their relationship to Israel. Immediately after reading this book I have a better understanding of some of the news coming out of Israel. I selfishly wish this book could be rewritten every 5 or 10 years to keep me up-to-date. This is not a comprehensive text, nor does it try to be. But it shows how these divisions have grown through telling specific stories of American Jews, their backgrounds an ...more
Robert Wechsler
A very well written look at a variety of situations where the views and interests of secular and religious Jews have collided in the U.S. or, at least, among American Jews. One even takes place in New Haven, soon after I moved to the area. It grew out of an issue at Yale involving co-ed living arrangements.

Freedman is a first-rate storyteller, especially good at portraits that are done not physically, but professionally and philosophically. He gets way deeper than most journalism. I look forward
Unbiased and impartial treatment of the tensions between the various spectrums of American Jewish community.
A well done study of what divides Jews from each other. The case studies, with one exception, were well chosen to illustrate the problem. I wasn't that taken, however, with the intro to each study and the wrap up.
This book examines Jewish identity in America. It describes the struggles between Orthodox communities and less observant Jewish communities. It gives descriptions of the Jewish environment in a few cities in the US (unexpected one's like Salt Lake City, Clevland).
Helpful in understanding the various divisions within 20th Century Judaism in the U.S. I had no previous knowledge of American Judaism before reading this book, and this book was a good way to begin learning.
Abigail Cohen
Great title, but that's about it.
Antonia is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2015
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Sheldon marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Atet marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Jesse Baer
Jesse Baer marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Naomi Washburn
Naomi Washburn marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Temple Sinai Denver
Temple Sinai Denver marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Roni added it
Jan 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Samuel G. Freedman is a columnist for The New York Times and a professor at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. He is the author of seven acclaimed books, most recently "Breaking The Line," and has been a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award.
More about Samuel G. Freedman...