Start by marking “Sporting Chance” as Want to Read:
Sporting Chance

Sporting Chance (The Serrano Legacy #2)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,134 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
In their last adventure, Hunting Party, Captain Heris Serrano and her employer, Lady Cecelia, had just triumphed over a heinous cabal that used human beings as prey. Now it turns out that one of the hunters was Prince Gerel, first in line to the throne. The prince, proclaiming his innocence, is spirited home by Captain Serrano and Lady Cecelia, but soon a foul plot is afoo ...more
Published September 1st 1994 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Sporting Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sporting Chance

Dan
Jan 02, 2016 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Reread, great series!
Catherine
May 05, 2013 Catherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-scifi, owned
Although Sporting Chance was NEARLY as good as Hunting Party (book 1 in the Serrano Legacy), it lost a couple of stars in my opinion due to Herris Serrano thinking that Sirkin was losing her mind - or not doing a good job. That whole storyline just didn't ring true to me, and although the rest of the book was great, and again I had problems putting the book down, I just couldn't see either Herris or Sirkin behaving like they did.
Recommended for those who've read book 1 - you really do need to re
Rachel (Kalanadi)
3.5 stars - better than Hunting Party, but still a little silly in places (escaping from a hospice center in a hot air balloon?!). A fun read but not the best space opera or mil SF. I had doubts about how Sirkin's storyline was handled and rather disliked the sudden turnaround in Cecelia's condition in the final chapters.

Heris, sadly, is rather boring. Brun is my favorite character, followed by Cecelia. I just think Heris is a blank slate.
Tani
In some ways, this was a better book than the first in the series. The pacing was mostly better. The character relationships, being already established, were better. Although I missed the interactions between Cecelia and Heris, I enjoyed the split story lines, and I thought that Cecelia's story, in particular, was well-done. I was also very interested in the plot involving the prince, although the resolution suffered from the rushed ending. Oh, and Brun has turned into a wonderful character.

On
Katie Bee
First off - this is a good book and an enjoyable one. While you could read it as a stand-alone, you'd lose a lot of character dimensions, I think, particularly since the main duo (Heris and Cecelia) are split up early on.

Things that this book does better than the first book:
* There is more of a "plot" throughout the whole book; it doesn't suddenly show up in the final third.
* The scattershot "B-list primary characters" group from the first book is split up, and most demoted to secondary characte
Becky
May 20, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This one got a bit complicated and I think the characterizations were a bit rushed, but the story was good and I am excited to see where things go in the next book.
Mekerei
Sporting Chance carries on straight after Hunting Party (which you need to read first for this one to make sense).

Its in the space opera style and I found it enjoyable; enough that I'm going to straight reading Winning Colors when I've finished this one.

Ex-Navy space-captain Heris Serrano is still commanding her eccentric but sharp old patron Cecelia de Marktos's luxury interstellar yacht, the new mission being to ferry home a misplaced sprig of galactic royalty after the first book's action. So
Sunny
Dec 07, 2014 Sunny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A better book than the first in the series, and definitely more SF-y, but still not a really great book. Ok, a bit dull, and a sense of a chance missed. The author does a strong job of conveying the horrifying emotions and sensations around being in a forced coma where your only senses are hearing and smell, and you are paralysed. The rest of the book's writing focuses on plot...getting the reader from point a to b, without investing much in character's internal lives or other details that could ...more
CatBookMom
I love this series, whether it's being read from print or listening to this multi-voice presentation.

2015 - found this on my iPod, enjoyed it - I do like the multi-voice version for this.
Cloak88
Feb 22, 2016 Cloak88 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
A solid second novel, to an uneven start, of an interesting series.

The story continues directly from the first novel in the series. Lady Cecelia and by extension captain Heris Serrano are tasked to bring the royal price back to his home system and his father. Except the prince is not well. In fact he is getting "Stupid" and no one knows why. Now a reinvigorated Cecelia (with Heris on her heels) takes it upon herself to find out the: Who's, What's and Why's. Until she is struck by "stroke" and fa
Tony Hisgett
Having been brought up on ‘Old Science Fiction” such as Asimov, Doc Smith etc I really wanted to like this story. I didn’t mind that the plot was a bit slow at times and I thought the Lady Cecilia storyline was excellent, but so many aspects of the story were so weak I found myself skipping chunks of the book out of sheer frustration.
I just couldn’t believe the ‘mole’ in the crew wasn’t spotted earlier. In fact reading some of the chapters was like watching a pantomime with the audience screamin
Faith
The scope of the series is expanding; this book deals with some political problems of the Familias Regnant monarchy.

Hints of problems to come, with Rejuv and cloning and weird drugs.

Great to see Bubbles/Brun continue to mature.

A lot of reviewers hated the Sirkin subplot - but oddly, most of them complained about Heris not considering the possibility of her being drugged, like Gerel. Honestly, I think that's a stupid assumption - who would have drugged her? Why Sirkin? She's not important. It wou
Bertrand
Heris Serrano est une trilogie clairement dans la lignée d’autres œuvres de space opera où le personnage principal est une femme à poigne : Miles Vorkosigan de Lois McMaster Bujold et Honor Harrington de David Weber entre autres. On pense aussi immédiatement aux films de la série Alien et leur héroïne Ripley jouée par Sigourney Weaver.
Heris Serrano, après avoir sauvé la mise de sa patronne lors d’un voyage spatial plus mouvementé que prévu, se retrouve à nouveau aux premières loges. Les familles
Beth Cato
Apr 10, 2012 Beth Cato rated it liked it
Despite being the captain of an old lady's space yacht, life is anything but dull for Heris Serrano. She, her employer and crew survived their recent adventures, but there are two problems: contraband found on board means someone may be out for payback, and the royal figure they rescued may not be naturally stupid. Poison is suspect. However, when the owner, Lady Cecilia, suffers a quick stroke that Heris suspects may be poison as well, legal manuevuering keeps the two far apart. It's up for the ...more
Thaddeus Nowak
Jun 09, 2013 Thaddeus Nowak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sporting Chance is the second book in the Serrano Legacy series. It continues the story that started in Hunting Party, with Captain Heris Serrano and Lady Cecelia returning to the capital with the Prince.

The story is set in motion by Lady Cecelia, who is something of a rebel in the aristocracy, when she exposes some of her observations about the Prince and the events that took place in Hunting Party to the King. The events unfold, showing Lady Cecelia's stubborn streak, as well as Captain Serran
Alex
"Sporting Chance" is book 2 of the Serrano Legacy series...another good SciFi novel from Elizabeth Moon, an Austin-area writer. It is a continuation of book 1, "The Hunting Party". Although this Scifi novel stands on it's own, reading the first book of the series would help understand the motives of the main characters.

The story: Heris Serrano is captain of Lady Cecelia's space yacht transporting the Prince back to his father, the King after saving the Prince's life in book 1. But on the journe
Jennifer Heise
Weaker than Hunting Party but still a good read that I didn't want to end. This is hard SF all right, even though it has a lot of personal relations in it. The working out of plot consequences of neurology (what is it like to be trapped in a body that doesn't work and also what can an enemy do with medical neurology), the space-opera adventure (flights, captures, a little bit of politics) were all there.
Karen Wyle
Dec 13, 2015 Karen Wyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few of this series out of order. This works, though no doubt not as well as reading them in series order. Even with that slight disadvantage, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading the next one. Well-drawn, strong female characters and good military SF action combine with interesting world-building for a SF universe that's quite enjoyable to visit.
Graeme Strachan
Aug 29, 2015 Graeme Strachan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A bloody awful book. The first book in the trilogy was poor but this was frankly dire.
every single character was a cliche, as much as was the signposted plot and every moment of writing where Moon opted to tell instead of show.

Properly awful writing and terrible plotting. The publisher should be ashamed.
Vickey Foggin
Book two of the Serrano Legacy really emphasises the soapy origins of space opera. Catty backstabbing amongst the uber rich, comas, mistaken identities, love affairs, etc. A fun read but over the top!
Joseph Santiago
Nov 09, 2014 Joseph Santiago rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and found it hard to put down. This was an easy read that got me solidly beginning to ask myself what I would do in the character's place. It is a hard one to review without giving away spoilers but I am beginning to see how the author is pushing back against gender and cultural stereotypes with these characters. This was a good read.

Mr. Joe
Aryayawe1
Mar 08, 2015 Aryayawe1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Moon's writing.
Not as full of action as the Vattas war series, but I still enjoyed it thoroughly.
Neil Davies
Mar 01, 2015 Neil Davies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without so many horses, book two in this series was back to what Elizabeth Moon does best - fast paced space adventure. Loved it.
Truitti
Mar 10, 2015 Truitti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sequel to Her is adventures. Military science fiction with strong women.
Gemma
May 06, 2014 Gemma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of space opera will enjoy this second novel in the Serrano series. And easy and enjoyable read.
Ben
Dec 31, 2014 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulp, kindle
Weaker than the first book, this never the less moves the greater plot forward. The book follows two separate story lines which only have a fairly tenuous connection to each other, and sometimes the action feels like the pace fails somewhat.

I hope my memories of the second half of this series is accurate and they are better than this one - which I have the feeling is the first time I have read it - as this was a let down.
Matt
Mar 24, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More fun with some really well drawn female characters
Starfire
Mar 23, 2010 Starfire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Elizabeth Moon's other SF
Shelves: science-fiction
Took me a while to get into, but the story eventually took off and became vintage Elizabeth Moon SF.

It's the second Serrano series book I've read, but not the second in this particular series - I'd been told you can read them out of order, but I actually found that this one would have been better served by reading Book 1 of the Legacy series first.

Basically, it was a lighthearted, enjoyable read with no real brain challenges or major issues to it. I wouldn't call it "great reading", but it was w
Robert Mckay
Mar 09, 2013 Robert Mckay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lady Cecelia de Marktos has returned to Castle Rock, the seat of the Familias Regnant, to take care of family business when she suffers a stroke. But it wasn’t a natural stroke – it was the work of an enemy, and Heris Serrano, the captain of Cecelia’s yacht; and her nephew and friend Ronnie and Brun Meager rescue her and take her to Rotterdam for rehabilitation. Before it’s all over they’re in the Guerni Republic, with Cecelia finally getting a rejuvenation – and the Benignity of the Compassiona ...more
Steven Allen
This was a good read. I enjoy Elizabeth Moon's SciFi and read most of her writing. Few writers can combine so many different elements into an entertaining story.

I am looking forward to the next book in this series, which I will read as soon as it gets here through Paper Back Swap.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page numbers 2 9 Feb 28, 2013 08:54AM
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • Generation Warriors (Planet Pirates, #3)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)
  • The Shadow of Saganami (Honorverse: Saganami Island #1)
  • Burden of Proof (JAG in Space, #2)
Elizabeth Moon was born March 7, 1945, and grew up in McAllen, Texas, graduating from McAllen High School in 1963. She has a B.A. in History from Rice University (1968) and another in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin (1975) with graduate work in Biology at the University of Texas, San Antonio.

She served in the USMC from 1968 to 1971, first at MCB Quantico and then at HQMC. She marrie
More about Elizabeth Moon...

The Serrano Legacy (7 books)
  • Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy, #1)
  • Winning Colors (The Serrano Legacy, #3)
  • Once a Hero (The Serrano Legacy, #4)
  • Rules of Engagement (The Serrano Legacy, #5)
  • Change of Command (The Serrano Legacy, #6)
  • Against the Odds (The Serrano Legacy, #7)