Sporting Chance: Sporting Chance

Sporting Chance: Sporting Chance (The Serrano Legacy #2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,489 ratings  ·  37 reviews
In their last adventure, Hunting Party, Captain Heris Serrano and her employer, Lady Cecelia, had just triumphed over a heinous cabal that used human beings as prey. Now it turns out that one of the hunters was Prince Gerel, first in line to the throne. The prince, proclaiming his innocence, is spirited home by Captain Serrano and Lady Cecelia, but soon a foul plot is afoo...more
Published September 1st 1994 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Sporting Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sporting Chance

Faith
The scope of the series is expanding; this book deals with some political problems of the Familias Regnant monarchy.

Hints of problems to come, with Rejuv and cloning and weird drugs.

Great to see Bubbles/Brun continue to mature.

A lot of reviewers hated the Sirkin subplot - but oddly, most of them complained about Heris not considering the possibility of her being drugged, like Gerel. Honestly, I think that's a stupid assumption - who would have drugged her? Why Sirkin? She's not important. It wou...more
Tony Hisgett
Having been brought up on ‘Old Science Fiction” such as Asimov, Doc Smith etc I really wanted to like this story. I didn’t mind that the plot was a bit slow at times and I thought the Lady Cecilia storyline was excellent, but so many aspects of the story were so weak I found myself skipping chunks of the book out of sheer frustration.
I just couldn’t believe the ‘mole’ in the crew wasn’t spotted earlier. In fact reading some of the chapters was like watching a pantomime with the audience screamin...more
Bertrand
Heris Serrano est une trilogie clairement dans la lignée d’autres œuvres de space opera où le personnage principal est une femme à poigne : Miles Vorkosigan de Lois McMaster Bujold et Honor Harrington de David Weber entre autres. On pense aussi immédiatement aux films de la série Alien et leur héroïne Ripley jouée par Sigourney Weaver.
Heris Serrano, après avoir sauvé la mise de sa patronne lors d’un voyage spatial plus mouvementé que prévu, se retrouve à nouveau aux premières loges. Les familles...more
Beth Cato
Despite being the captain of an old lady's space yacht, life is anything but dull for Heris Serrano. She, her employer and crew survived their recent adventures, but there are two problems: contraband found on board means someone may be out for payback, and the royal figure they rescued may not be naturally stupid. Poison is suspect. However, when the owner, Lady Cecilia, suffers a quick stroke that Heris suspects may be poison as well, legal manuevuering keeps the two far apart. It's up for the...more
Thaddeus Nowak
Sporting Chance is the second book in the Serrano Legacy series. It continues the story that started in Hunting Party, with Captain Heris Serrano and Lady Cecelia returning to the capital with the Prince.

The story is set in motion by Lady Cecelia, who is something of a rebel in the aristocracy, when she exposes some of her observations about the Prince and the events that took place in Hunting Party to the King. The events unfold, showing Lady Cecelia's stubborn streak, as well as Captain Serran...more
Alex
"Sporting Chance" is book 2 of the Serrano Legacy series...another good SciFi novel from Elizabeth Moon, an Austin-area writer. It is a continuation of book 1, "The Hunting Party". Although this Scifi novel stands on it's own, reading the first book of the series would help understand the motives of the main characters.

The story: Heris Serrano is captain of Lady Cecelia's space yacht transporting the Prince back to his father, the King after saving the Prince's life in book 1. But on the journe...more
CatBookMom
I love this series, whether it's being read from print or listening to this multi-voice presentation.
Gemma
Fans of space opera will enjoy this second novel in the Serrano series. And easy and enjoyable read.
Catherine
Although Sporting Chance was NEARLY as good as Hunting Party (book 1 in the Serrano Legacy), it lost a couple of stars in my opinion due to Herris Serrano thinking that Sirkin was losing her mind - or not doing a good job. That whole storyline just didn't ring true to me, and although the rest of the book was great, and again I had problems putting the book down, I just couldn't see either Herris or Sirkin behaving like they did.
Recommended for those who've read book 1 - you really do need to re...more
Matt
More fun with some really well drawn female characters
Starfire
Mar 23, 2010 Starfire rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Elizabeth Moon's other SF
Shelves: science-fiction
Took me a while to get into, but the story eventually took off and became vintage Elizabeth Moon SF.

It's the second Serrano series book I've read, but not the second in this particular series - I'd been told you can read them out of order, but I actually found that this one would have been better served by reading Book 1 of the Legacy series first.

Basically, it was a lighthearted, enjoyable read with no real brain challenges or major issues to it. I wouldn't call it "great reading", but it was w...more
Robert Mckay
Lady Cecelia de Marktos has returned to Castle Rock, the seat of the Familias Regnant, to take care of family business when she suffers a stroke. But it wasn’t a natural stroke – it was the work of an enemy, and Heris Serrano, the captain of Cecelia’s yacht; and her nephew and friend Ronnie and Brun Meager rescue her and take her to Rotterdam for rehabilitation. Before it’s all over they’re in the Guerni Republic, with Cecelia finally getting a rejuvenation – and the Benignity of the Compassiona...more
Celia Powell
Oh yes - Heris Serrano charging around the galaxy being a captain and solving mysteries! Love it. When the owner of her spaceship (I would call it a yacht, as the book does, but that's just rather confusing) collapses into an apparent coma, Heris goes to uncover those plotting against her employer. It's all rather exciting, and I was very caught up in the mystery - I hauled this book around with me everwhere, telling my husband that I would talk to him later, I was involved with something else r...more
Jeffrey
Like the first in the series, I have vague recollections of reading this book before, but the last time was long enough ago that only vague impressions of major plot points remained in memory. I have always enjoyed Moon's work, and this story is no exception. The pacing slows at a couple of points, but the overall pacing of the book is well handled, building in intensity as the story builds to a climax. A great read for fans of her work or fans of this type of book.
Scott Stillman
Elizabeth Moon writes some of the best space opera after reading Vatta's War I couldn't resist.

This is the second book in the The Serrano Legacy series and the adventures continue. Heris Serrano and Lady Cecelia volunteer to escort Prince Gerel home. On the trip they find he is acting strangely. Upon delivery, Lady Cecelia, confronts the king about Prince Gerel problem and soon their after she has a "Stroke". Adventures ensue...
Lorena
Again, a fun read -- I'd expect nothing less from Elizabeth Moon. The thing I liked the most about this one was the growth of some of the minor characters. People who were nothing but annoying in the first book became a little deeper, a little more grown up, a little bit richer. And it also sets up a mystery that will run throughout the following five books...
Anna
Okay, so five stars may be a little much for this book. It's not particularly deep or anything. But it is lots of fun, builds on the first book in the series in very good ways, and even passes the test where female characters talk to each other about something other than a man. (If you start looking, very, very few books or movies pass this test.)
Vincent
Excellent wrap up of the first three books in this universe.
Dana Stabenow
Second in the Heris Serrano/Lady Cecelia series, and even better than the first one (Hunting Party). Likable characters, good dialogue, non-stop plots and themes ranging from the simply human to grandly operatic. I've got a friend who has never read sf and I'm going to start him on these. It's Star Wars for the mature sf newbie.
Unwisely
I apparently forgot to write a review of this one at the time, too. Very middle book. Slow, silly plot, yet the writing was good enough to keep me reading and get the next one.

I think this was the book where I suddenly realized that all the major players were female, too.
G33z3r
This 2nd book in Moon's Heris Serrano trilogy improves a bit on the first and expands the number of characters who can carry part of the interwoven storyline. Everything seems a little too neatly wrapped up at the end, but it's definitely a readable, old-school space-opera.
Leslie Mora
I am quickly becoming very hooked on the series. I started reading the third one as soon as I think finished the second. It's a very lighthearted read it first, humorous, but very suspenseful throughout. It is also filled with very very wonderful characters.
Allan Caplan
If Good Reads had half stars this would have been 3.5 stars. I gave it the extra star because I enjoyed it so much more than the first book in the series.

This is the second in the Heris Serrano Trilogy, and picks up where the previous left off.
Linda
Another good read in the Serrano series. This one has a couple of things that stretch believability, but it also does a better job of characterization (and is relatively free of the stereotyping that bugged me in the first book).
Rachel
A nice batch of intrigue. So far, I'm thoroughly enjoying this series. :)
Lee
I didn't like this one as much as the previous Serrano book. I'm not sure why, but the idea of a character held in a coma was pretty chilling. Probably not the best thing to read while awaiting/recovering from surgery?
Margo
Space opera genre, but I really like her writing and her characters. When I was off doing errands I found myself thinking about what would happen next in the story.
Andria
Just as good as the first book. I'm going to hold off reading the third, however, because I've got other books on my reading list that I need to get done first.
I enjoyed this book and only wish I had read the lead up books prior to this. I must find them. I really enjoy Elizabeth Moon's science fiction!
Kate
Gripping space opera! Wonderful strong female characters, great baddies and tremendous intrigue

Originally read May 2008
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page numbers 2 9 Feb 28, 2013 08:54AM
  • Generation Warriors (Planet Pirates, #3)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation #2)
  • The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3)
Elizabeth Moon was born March 7, 1945, and grew up in McAllen, Texas, graduating from McAllen High School in 1963. She has a B.A. in History from Rice University (1968) and another in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin (1975) with graduate work in Biology at the University of Texas, San Antonio.

She served in the USMC from 1968 to 1971, first at MCB Quantico and then at HQMC. She marrie...more
More about Elizabeth Moon...
The Deed of Paksenarrion (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1-3) Sheepfarmer's Daughter (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1) Trading in Danger (Vatta's War, #1) The Speed of Dark Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)