Start by marking “Into the Storm: Lessons in Teamwork from the Treacherous Sydney to Hobart Ocean Race” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  7 reviews
'Into the Storm' tells the story of the 1998 Sydney Hobart Yacht Race and uses it to draw parallels to the world of business, revealing 10 critical strategies for teamwork at the edge. Illustrated with examples from the story and compelling case studies, the book sheds light on what teams need to do to succeed in tough times.
Published November 2012 by AMACOM/American Management Association (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Storm

Book Him Danno
Ostensibly this is the tail of a boat race. A boat race that headed straight into a perfect storm of destruction. It details the plight of Captain Ed Psaltis and his crew aboard the Midnight Rambler as they competed in the famed Sydney to Hobart race. With great peril to their own lives they not only attacked the storm but became the overall winner of the race; a feat not typically accomplished by a small boat.

Now I am someone who gets motion sick on something as simple as a ferris wheel, the t
Jolovessnow
Pretty exciting story of the 1998 ocean race Sydney to Hobart. I loved the storm detail. The second half of the book applies the teamwork of one of the successful ship crews to teamwork in business. I was surprised that it was engaging & had many lessons that I will try to apply to my job.
Lana
This was a really interesting book about a real sailing race that occurred in the 1990's in Australia. There was a hurricane that came during the race, and several sailors lost their lives. The sailors on this particular boat worked really well together, and the author digs into some of the team dynamics that helped them survive. He uses these as lessons for managers or anyone who leads a team in any situation.
Rachel
Great metaphors for team dynamics. This was a brilliant addition to a work reading group on leadership.
Paul Davidson
Not being a boating enthusiast - it took me 100 pages to get into the sailing aspect of the book. I liked that book is different from most business advice books in that it contains an epic story. On the downside, many teams are not as vested into performance as a boating crew fighting to survive, so I found the practical application a bit of a stretch. Check out the youtube videos covering the storm for some vivid imagery.

Brett Jonas
While I found the second half rather boring, the connections between it and the first half kept me reading it. In the end, it was a rather enjoyable book, and it did teach me a few lessons about being part of a team and brought back memories of some interesting moments I've had with various teams I've worked with.
Susan Vesta
My co-workers and I were given this book to read after management went to a seminar. It's about teamwork but the story about the boat race was great.
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
D
D added it
Dec 29, 2014
Art McMillan
Art McMillan is currently reading it
Nov 18, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Veljko Krunic
Veljko Krunic marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Dave
Dave added it
May 02, 2014
mark keller
mark keller is currently reading it
Mar 31, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Kn
Kn marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
  • Seeing America
  • My Greek Drama: Life, Love, and One Woman's Olympic Effort to Bring Glory to Her Country
  • Deal with a Demon
  • Other Waters: A Novel
  • Deadman's Road
  • The Yes Factor: Get What You Want. Say What You Mean.
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
  • Focus: Achieving Your Highest Priorities
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Eat People: And Other Unapologetic Rules for Game-Changing Entrepreneurs
  • The South Beach Diet Gluten Solution: The Delicious, Doctor-Designed, Gluten-Aware Plan for Losing Weight and Feeling Great--FAST!
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Hacking Work: Breaking Stupid Rules for Smart Results
  • Sleeping with Your Smartphone: How to Break the 24/7 Habit and Change the Way You Work
  • The Apple Way
  • Enterprise 2.0: How to Manage Social Technologies to Transform Your Organization
  • Grow: How Ideals Power Growth and Profit at the World's Greatest Companies
  • Speak to Win: How to Present with Power in Any Situation
4619534
DENNIS PERKINS is the author of Leading at The Edge and CEO of Syncretics Group, a consulting firm dedicated to helping leaders and teams thrive under conditions of adversity, uncertainty, and change. A graduate of the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, he successfully completed his first Sydney Hobart Race in 2006.
More about Dennis N.T. Perkins...
Leading at the Edge: Leadership Lessons from the Extraordinary Saga of Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition Managing Creation: The Challenge of Building a New Organization