Start by marking “Into the Storm: Lessons in Teamwork from the Treacherous Sydney to Hobart Ocean Race” as Want to Read:

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Winner of the Small Business Book Awards from Small Business Trends 2013 The Sydney Hobart Yacht Race is among the most demanding sailing competitions in the world. Unpredictable seas make the 628-nautical-mile course grueling under the best conditions, but the 1998 race proved to be the most perilous to date when a sudden and violent storm struck. Winds gusted over 100 mp ...more
Published November 2012 by AMACOM/American Management Association (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Storm

Book Him Danno
Ostensibly this is the tail of a boat race. A boat race that headed straight into a perfect storm of destruction. It details the plight of Captain Ed Psaltis and his crew aboard the Midnight Rambler as they competed in the famed Sydney to Hobart race. With great peril to their own lives they not only attacked the storm but became the overall winner of the race; a feat not typically accomplished by a small boat.

Now I am someone who gets motion sick on something as simple as a ferris wheel, the t
Jolovessnow
Jul 26, 2014 Jolovessnow rated it really liked it
Pretty exciting story of the 1998 ocean race Sydney to Hobart. I loved the storm detail. The second half of the book applies the teamwork of one of the successful ship crews to teamwork in business. I was surprised that it was engaging & had many lessons that I will try to apply to my job.
Robert Mosley
Mar 08, 2015 Robert Mosley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on team building

I have used points in this book during my military team building. This book has key questions that should be drafted in lol brown books
Lana
Nov 07, 2014 Lana rated it really liked it
This was a really interesting book about a real sailing race that occurred in the 1990's in Australia. There was a hurricane that came during the race, and several sailors lost their lives. The sailors on this particular boat worked really well together, and the author digs into some of the team dynamics that helped them survive. He uses these as lessons for managers or anyone who leads a team in any situation.
Rachel
Jan 02, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Great metaphors for team dynamics. This was a brilliant addition to a work reading group on leadership.
Paul Davidson
Aug 26, 2013 Paul Davidson rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Not being a boating enthusiast - it took me 100 pages to get into the sailing aspect of the book. I liked that book is different from most business advice books in that it contains an epic story. On the downside, many teams are not as vested into performance as a boating crew fighting to survive, so I found the practical application a bit of a stretch. Check out the youtube videos covering the storm for some vivid imagery.

Brett Jonas
Dec 30, 2013 Brett Jonas rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
While I found the second half rather boring, the connections between it and the first half kept me reading it. In the end, it was a rather enjoyable book, and it did teach me a few lessons about being part of a team and brought back memories of some interesting moments I've had with various teams I've worked with.
Brie
Aug 18, 2015 Brie rated it liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads Contest.

This book is not badly written...it just was not to my taste. It was a bit too "team building workplace guidebook" for me which interrupted the story of the race. Because of this I did not finish the book and will be passing it along to another reader.
Susan Vesta
Jul 18, 2013 Susan Vesta rated it liked it
My co-workers and I were given this book to read after management went to a seminar. It's about teamwork but the story about the boat race was great.
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Greg Bunn
Greg Bunn is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2016
Patrick Mcknight
Patrick Mcknight rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Bill McGuinn
Bill McGuinn rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Dennis Perkins
Dennis Perkins rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
DOREEN
DOREEN marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Sven
Sven rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Sean Murphy
Sean Murphy marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 13, 2016
Tom Piddock
Tom Piddock rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Sean Morrow
Sean Morrow marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Jennifer Haddock
Jennifer Haddock marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Amanda Coussoule
Amanda Coussoule marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Kk
Kk marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Toby Sutcliffe
Toby Sutcliffe rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2015
Richard Gillette
Richard Gillette rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Craig Rowley
Craig Rowley rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Daniel Bargieł
Daniel Bargieł rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
  • Persuasion IQ: The 10 Skills You Need to Get Exactly What You Want
  • A Thousand Barrels a Second: The Coming Oil Break Point and the Challenges Facing an Energy Dependent World
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • The Yes Factor: Get What You Want. Say What You Mean.
  • The Southwest Airlines Way
  • The Reinventors: How Extraordinary Companies Pursue Radical Continuous Change
  • Innovation You: Four Steps to Becoming New and Improved
  • What Great Salespeople Do: The Science of Selling Through Emotional Connection and the Power of Story
  • Working for You Isn't Working for Me: The Ultimate Guide to Managing Your Boss
  • Fearless Leadership: How To Overcome Behavioral Blind Spots And Transform Your Organization
  • Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: The Demise of 20th Century Selling & the Advent of Helping Clients Succeed
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • Enterprise 2.0: How to Manage Social Technologies to Transform Your Organization
  • Memoirs of a Caregiver
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Hacking Work: Breaking Stupid Rules for Smart Results
  • The Leader's Way: Business, Buddhism And Happiness In An Interconnected World
  • The Quaternary Vote: The Election of God's Successor
4619534
DENNIS PERKINS is the author of Leading at The Edge and CEO of Syncretics Group, a consulting firm dedicated to helping leaders and teams thrive under conditions of adversity, uncertainty, and change. A graduate of the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, he successfully completed his first Sydney Hobart Race in 2006.
More about Dennis N.T. Perkins...