Start by marking “The Body of Brooklyn” as Want to Read:
The Body of Brooklyn

The Body of Brooklyn

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In the body of Brooklyn David Lazar, an acclaimed essayist and prose stylist, offers a vividly detailed, hilarious, and touching recollection of his Brooklyn upbringing in the 1960s and 70s. His immigrant Jewish heritage and his bodily history--from the travails of childhood obesity to the sexual triumphs of post-adolescent leanness--form the core of this series of essays,...more
Published April 2nd 2003 by University Of Iowa Press

To ask other readers questions about The Body of Brooklyn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body of Brooklyn

Ruth
I love reading autobiography but it's also tricky- it must be hard for the writer to know if somebody else is going to be as interested in his own stories as he is. I just couldn't get into this one for just that reason- too much detail about events that weren't grabbing me.
Ty
Good and lyrical. Fun but reflective. In the end I found it a little off putting. Trying to be too literary. I appreciate more approachable styles such as Ian Frazier. This book tries too hard.
Jill
May 07, 2008 Jill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers, Brooklynites, Jews, instructors of writing
Anyone who writes creative nonfiction, particularly the personal essay, needs to read this book. Lazar is now one of my favorites. His work challenges as well as mesmerizes.
Gary McDowell
Love this book! Read it from the library, but have never bought the damn thing... need to buy it ASAP.
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Caitlynn
Caitlynn marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Ruth Ann
Ruth Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2012
Brit
Brit marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2011
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2011
mazal bohbot berrie
mazal bohbot berrie is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2011
Jill
Jill added it
Nov 28, 2009
Aleighdavis
Aleighdavis marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2009
Autumn
Autumn marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2009
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2008
Truth in Nonfiction: Essays Hotel Amerika Occasional Desire: Essays Powder Town Hotel Amerika: Aphorisms