Start by marking “Death of a Stranger (William Monk, #13)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Stranger (William Monk, #13)

Death of a Stranger (William Monk #13)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,846 ratings  ·  83 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Perry comes the story of William Monk, the amnesiac private investigator who at last regains his memory while investigating corruption in the railway industry.
Published October 1st 2002 by Ballantine Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Stranger

Cheryl Bradley
It had been too long since I last read one of Anne Perry's William Monk novels set in Victorian England. Once I started reading, I couldn't believe I had let so long lapse before picking up another book in this series.

As the story begins, Monk's wife, Hester, is busily taking care of injured and ill prostitutes at her refuge in Coldbath. Hester asks little of the prostitutes, no more than a name to call them. During the evening, though, events take a puzzling turn as several well-spoken, educate
Hilary
Hester's landlord is most unhappy about her clinic, squeezing her for more money and making life generally awkward, while she tries to educate the rare helpers in the realities of life: it's shocking to realize that a 12-14 hour day of "honest" work would pay less than 2 shillings, scarcely enough to get by. (view spoiler)

Meanwhile, Monk is
Tracy
I find Anne Perry as a person entirely intriguing. She has led an incomparably unique life. I guess I read her books on occasion to feel like I’m reading more about her. It has to be truly rare that someone with her life experience rises from the ashes so to speak and becomes a successful and celebrated author.

In all honesty, I have a difficult time following her prose. It may also be because I’m sleep deprived, but I had to read a few sections twice. It reminds me of skipping stones along a sti
Donna
Aug 01, 2010 Donna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: If you read this series, you really need to read this one!
It's hard to say too much about this book with giving everything away, but the book jacket blurb does say that Monk learns much about his forgotten history in this story. And that knowledge is twined with the puzzle in this case.

I thought that the parts of the story set in the prostitution district was not as well done as the part regarding the railroad.

Added 08/01/10:

After reading the next book in the series I realize that this book and the prior one really form the basis of a turning point in
Beverly
Inspector Monk grapples with half-remembered events of his past as he investigates a railway-building fraud on behalf of a young woman client who fears for her fiance’s involvement. Meanwhile, Monk’s wife,nurse Hester, treats a number of prostitutes whose beatings might be linked to the murder of a prominent financier who is connected to the railroad.
Too turgid and romantic in tone to be convincingly Victorian. Intense focus on and viewpoint of character miss the 19th century tone of omniscience
Kavita
This book is supposedly a Victorian mystery. The husband wife duo solves cases and finds out that their cases intertwine, and they help each other. A rich man gets stabbed in a prostitute district and trade stops while the police is on a manhunt. At the same time, someone is beating up the women because they are unable to pay off their debts by selling off their bodies. This is one aspect of the story. The other aspect is a railroad fraud intrigue, which was completely incomprehensible.

Hester, t
Tiffany (Avid Reader)
I do not like starting series in the middle, but this was the only Anne Perry book currently at the library and my dad recommended the book. While William Monk is a nice character, it was his wife, Hester, who kept me listening. She was not the weak, let-me-ask-my-detective-husband-what-I-should-do type. She was strong willed and independent while being a great wife.
Lucy Crowe
I love Anne Perry, and "Death of a Stranger" is a milestone in her William Monk series. Monk, a private investigator who suffers from amnesia, is the ultimate mystery man, and in this novel the pieces of his past finally begin to come together. Criminal or saint? I'll never tell.
Equally intriguing is Monk's wife Hester - a former Army nurse who now runs a women's clinic on the rough side of town. Hester breaks a lot of stuffy rules and still manages to be a thoroughly respected woman - no mean
Katie Bee
I liked this installment better than some of the others in the series. The plot is more carefully foreshadowed, and although the usual "twist ending!!!" is employed, there aren't quite as many coincidences as Perry usually relies on.

I still don't buy the chemistry between Hester & Monk, but I'm glad that Rathbone looks like he'll move on with Margaret. I also really liked the Bessie character, and I felt for Livia as well. The Hester-Margaret-Rathbone escapade was a highlight of the book.

Rem
Karin
Liked the book very much. Anne Perry is such an accomplished writer and develops her story so thoroughly; makes it difficult to put a book down once started.
Frank
relying on other reviews for plot synopsis.

library mp3. Usually a 2 means I didn't finish, in this case I really wanted to click off, but I had invested too much time. Perry has so many books, I figured I had to see what she was about. But still a 2.

Ok, lots of detail on London and British society in 1860's, with a good distaste for class oppression. But so slow. I thought it might be the first in a series on Monk (Face of a Stranger) because of the amnesia device, but actually the 13th. Too muc
My Inner Shelf
Ah ! Voici le treizième volume des aventures mirobolantes de William Monk. Jusqu’à présent je n’avais pas été déçue par la série, chaque intrigue étant plus surprenante que la précédente. Et là, cher lecteur et -trice, tu te dis qu’il va bien falloir qu’Anne Perry se vautre à un moment donné, que sur tant de de volumes, elle fasse un faux pas, ait un coup de mou, une grosse flemme, un moment d’absence, un AVC ou que sais-je ? Et moi je te réponds qu’effectivement, ce volume présente une intrigue ...more
Anne Perry’s William Monk series has been and is for me the most intriguing of AP’s works. The reason for that is due to the fact that right from the start, William Monk is a most interesting character. Monk is the victim of a carriage accident which robbed him of his memory. During the course of the succeeding novels he slowly gains an ever increasing understanding of the man he once was but not the facts about why and how he became who he is. This novel finally provides some answers as to why ...more
Janice Dick
I usually enjoy Anne Perry's novels, but I found this one especially intriguing. Two plots form side by side, one for William Monk, the other for his wife Hester (and I missed whatever book they were married in; have to find it), gradually converging into one as the end of the story approaches. Since William and Hester work independently, they have no idea they are both pursuing the same case.

The characters, as usual, are well rounded and fascinating; the settings, including the Coldbath area,
Shelton Chelberg
I had read several Monk and Hester novels, sort of randomly, but decided to read them in chronological order. Very enjoyable. The characters build through each book.

This book is an intriguing yarn, both for the actual story lines (Victorian era prostitution and railway construction) and for the filling in of more details in Monk's lost life. There are twists and turns.

That said, it is not a good book to begin the series. There is too much back story that will leave you wondering.
Laurie
A good addition to the series. As the title implies, this story finally gives Monk some closure regarding his past. Rathbone also seems to have some closure where Hester is concerned, and I'm glad about both of these things, because it's time for these characters to move forward to new things. The story was enjoyable, but I did find some elements of the plot predictable. Oh well, still enjoyed it.
Macha
3 & 1/2 stars. i really like Anne Perry's William and Hester Monk Victorian mysteries (much better, i think, than her more popular Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series). both William and Hester are complicated people, heroic in a way Victorian society refused to acknowledge. this one's not the best or the most mysterious of the series, but it gets into the question of the person William used to be before he lost his memory. and the mystery itself takes as its subject matter how Victorian prostit ...more
Bdrake
Monk and Hester's relationship is terrific because Perry brings out their thought processes and emotions as a constant thread throughout this series. I highly recommend starting with book #1 and following this from the beginning. This book uncovers much of Monk's lost memory from a carriage accident in an earlier book. As with all of Perry's books, you never know the ending until the last couple of pages. Excellent!
LJ
Private enquiry agent William Monk is hired to investigate a potential case of fraud in the construction of a new railway line. His client is the fiancée of a man she fears is embroiled in the scheme, and Monk's investigation causes a strange sense of déjà vu--a former policeman afflicted with a case of amnesia concerning his prior life, Monk finds both the case and its milieu unsettlingly familiar. His case is somehow connected to the death of a railway magnate in a sleazy area of London where ...more
Susan
Private investigator, William Monk, takes on a new client full of mystery. She asks Monk to find out whether or not her fiancé, a railway-firm executive, has become enmeshed in fraudulent practices. As he does, he starts regain his memory. Mean while, for Nurse Hester Monk, who is caring for the prostitutes of Leather Lane, is seeing cases of bruises and fevers to broken bones and knife wounds escalating. Are these two things connected? You will have to read this book to find out. It was well wr ...more
Vicki Carlson
It is nice to learn more about Monk's history after all of these books, and I was glad to see Oliver back. I was less fond of the fact that Hester and Monk spent most of the book apart. I like to see the three of them working together in a "Law & Order" type mystery.
Elaine
Engrossing, well-written, and with a terrific ending. One of the best William Monk novels!
Debbie Maskus
This novel had many plots and subplots involving Monk, Hester, and Monk's past. Each book brings Monk closer to the truth of his life before his accident. Hester, as usual, is fighting the morals battles of women and the poor. She reasons that prostitution is bad, but that women have few avenues open for earning wages. Monk investigates fraud in land deals and the operations of the railroad. Anne Perry writes in the detailed style of Elizabeth George, but provides less psychological analysis tha ...more
Correen

I was tiring of this book -- seemed to go on and on about Monk's memory loss. But, what a finale! she out did herself!
Riversue
The climax to this book is spectacular. I love Victorian murder mysteries - such fun.
Morgan Pugh
For the prostitutes of Leather Lane, Nurse Hester Monk's clinic is a lifeline, providing medicine, food, and a modicum of peace, especially welcome since lately their ailments have escalated from bruises and fevers to broken bones and knife wounds. At the moment, however, the mysterious death of a railway magnate Nolan Baltimore in a sleazy neighborhood brothel overshadows all else. Whether he fell of was pushed, the shocking question in everyone's mind is" What was such a pillar of respectabili ...more
Gg
I'm on page 82 and I don't think I can go any further. Its so boring. I find myself daydreaming about things I have to do around the house rather than continue on another page. I just came upon goodreads.com and I wish I would have read the reviews before picking this up at the library. I had no idea it was a series. I don't think I will bother with the rest of the series, since this is lucky number 13 and I cant get three sentences without thinking about how the dishes need to be done.
Perhaps because I have no interest in railroads, I found this one difficult to wade through. I must admit that I didn't see the twist coming however. The actual mystery portion of the story was interesting, but I feel as though there was too much detail about railroads and Monk's links to his past. If you like the Monk series, its worth reading, but you might find yourself as I did, skipping over large portions of the railroading stuff.
Lchamp
Wow! I enjoyed Monk's finding his history and regaining most of his memory. I have read most of this series focusing on the development of the characters and the descriptions of the era more than the plots. This plot stretches the ability to suspend disbelief at the end, but the development of the story was worthwhile.
  • The Widow's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #14)
  • Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)
  • The Holy Thief (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #19)
  • Murder on Lenox Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #7)
  • Days of the Dead (Benjamin January, #7)
  • Children of the Storm (Amelia Peabody, #15)
  • Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3)
  • A Cold Treachery (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #7)
  • The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6)

Anne Perry (born Juliet Hulme) is a British historical novelist.

Juliet took the name "Anne Perry", the latter being her stepfather's surname. Her first novel, The Cater Street Hangman, was published under this name in 1979. Her works generally fall into one of several cate
More about Anne Perry...

William Monk (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Face of a Stranger (William Monk, #1)
  • A Dangerous Mourning (William Monk, #2)
  • Defend and Betray (William Monk, #3)
  • A Sudden, Fearful Death (William Monk, #4)
  • The Sins of the Wolf (William Monk, #5)
  • Cain His Brother (William Monk, #6)
  • Weighed in the Balance (William Monk, #7)
  • The Silent Cry (William Monk, #8)
  • A Breach of Promise (William Monk, #9)
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
The Face of a Stranger (William Monk, #1) The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) Callander Square (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #2) A Dangerous Mourning (William Monk, #2) Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)