Everything She Thought She Wanted

Everything She Thought She Wanted

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  465 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Elizabeth Buchan’s beloved bestsellers, Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman and The Good Wife Strikes Back, have made her an icon of upmarket women’s fiction. Taking her characteristic wit and emotional resonance to a new level, her latest novel focuses on two lives separated by forty years of history. In 1959, a forty-something married mother finds herself immersed in a surp...more
Published April 25th 2006 by Penguin Books (first published July 15th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Everything She Thought She Wanted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything She Thought She Wanted

Ann Baxter
It's on my shelf, I recogize the story - but it left no impression. That says a lot.
Mary Grace
To start, some of you guys know that I don't like Chic Lit as much as the other genre but I gave this a chance and after reading it I thought I might have made a wrong decision with the first chic lit that I read.

It's a well written book I should say but the story is nothing new. It's a too much common story in my opinion. The book is about two women in different eras. Barbara in the 50's and Sienna who is more of the present times both experience problems in their life. The story evolve around...more
Shea
I read this book for a book club I'm in. Honestly, I'm not sure if I would have finished it if it weren't for that because I felt like there was nothing to really keep my interest. Sure, the premise was a good idea (women struggling with decisions and issues that stand the test of time) but I didn't think Buchan did a great job with it. The stories were kind of boring, and even at the end, I felt like nothing had actually happened to get the characters to where they were.
At first I liked Siena's...more
Ginnie Leiner
I read this book on a plane ride from San Francisco to Pittsburgh and it was the most enjoyable transit ever. It is the story of two women living in two different time periods in England, supposedly getting everything they ever thought they wanted. I was intrigued to find out how these women connected and was so delighted at the connection when it was finally revealed.

I think there were two overall messages in this book (for me, at least). The first was that sometimes we do things in our lives...more
Laurel Osterkamp
Is motherhood a blessing or a curse? Should it be considered a right or an obligation? And when it comes to the role of motherhood, has anything changed in the last 40 years, or are things still basically the same?
Elizabeth Buchnan seems to think that despite societal changes, women still must overcome the basically the same challenges they were faced with in the 1950s, and she illustrates this beautifully in her latest work, Everything She Thought She Wanted. The narrative is in first person, a...more
It was just Ok for me. i have a hard time with people justifying extra-marital affairs with a midlife crisis.

I liked the dual story line, the past vs the present. I liked how the problems of the past are still so similar to the problems of now that we as women face.

I kind of felt that both characters were selfish in a way.
One had an affair because she felt unexciting and boring in her life.
The other put off having kids to get the career she always wanted.(much to the dismay of her husband)

But i...more
Kricket
"everything she thought she wanted" alternates between the perspectives of siena, a modern career woman who is hesitant to start the family her husband wants, and barbara, a middle-aged 1950s housewife embarking on an affair with a hot young philosophy major. we don't find out how their stories overlap until the very end of the book, which is very mysterious. but it was an interesting juxtaposition between the two woman...kind of a "can you really have it all?" question balancing motherhood, rom...more
LindyLouMac
Unusual style in that there are two parallel stories running throughout the novel. Throughout I was trying to work out if there was going to be a link between Siena and Barbara, the two female protagonists.
They are two women living fifty years apart but both struggling to come to terms with having reached `That Certain Age'! In their different ways due to the very different life styles they are trying to find answers and compromises between their desires and love for their families.
There is a...more
Sharon
I've read each of Buchan's books twice. Not because I loved them so much, but because the details were fuzzy. Even re-reading, only isolated incidents rang a bell. I think this one was the weakest of the three. It switches every two chapters between the story of Siena, set in modern-day London, and that of Barbara, set in the post-war era. The two characters don't really have anything in common, and the two tales are linked in a cursory way at the very end of the book. The modern character is ma...more
Emily
This is one of those books that has the potential to be excellent. The writing is beautiful and the story intriguing. However I feel like the main character has to have some type of inner resolution after facing a crossroads and these two characters from parallel stories pretty much resigned themselves into the conclusion. Basically they both chose a simple and hardworking housewife lifestyle over the more glamorous career or elicit affair. Neither really wanted to be a housewife, they just resi...more
Tama
I thought I had read this book a few years ago, but found it on my "to read" pile. I think I had started it (the beginning was very familiar) but had not finished it. The parallel stories set in two different eras seemed to be going on a somewhat predictable path. The characters were well developed and appropriate to their era. One of the reviews I read talked about Siena eventually choosing the traditional role of motherhood. I think Siena's dilema in the story was not that life changing events...more
Abigail
Very dull characters making dire decisions for not very interesting reasons. Apparently middle-age is something to be avoided at all costs, which is a bit difficult as I'm approaching it at high speed.
Katrina
Not my usual read, not quite chick-lit but it is about "chicks"! Interesting parallels between Barbara who is living in 1959 and Siena who's living as a 21st century woman with the world at her feet apparently. Clever ending brought the two eras together. Considering half of the book was set in 1959 I can honestly say that it didn't put me off......I know it sounds terribly ignorant and probably a bit odd but I do not read anything set in the past. Recommend this book to women of all ages as it...more
Erica
I quite enjoyed this quick read. Normally I can get frustrated by books that go back and forth between two different character plots and years, but this one didn't frustrate me and became a novel I just couldn't put down. There were a few little terms that I loved in this book: "appetite for choice" and "file weeding;" I enjoyed the word play. I thought the author had a lot of build up for each character plot, but when the climax came, I left feeling it was lacking. The ending needed more detail...more
Kathy
Quotable:
We were... as close as crossed fingers.

Grief is very lonely.

The war brought us face to face with ourselves.
Kate Millin
It took me a bit of time to get into this book, but when I did I found it a bitter sweet book as it is about 2 women in their 40's their marriages and relationships with their husbands and children in the 1959 case and the pressures about having children in the 2009 relationship. I am sure men don't agonise over relationships as much as women do, and why do we always feel guilty about doing what we want to do? No wonder I am enjoying solitude and being single.

Bookcrossing copy - src="http://www....more
Jasmine
Everything She Thought She Wanted tells the story of two women -- one, a 42 year old stay-at-home wife in 1959, and the other, a 35 year old working, childless wife in the present day -- as they deal with the limiting and, often, limited choices available to them). An interesting idea for a novel, but poorly executed. The transformations that occur simply aren't believable. While Elizabeth Buchan does unearth some truths about marriage and motherhood, I found myself anxious to complete this book...more
Ms. B
Synopsis:
Barbara, a married mother in 1959, and Siena, a career woman 40 years later, face the challenge of finding their happiness, each in her own way. This wise, witty novel weaves together the stories of these women, one with too many choices, one with too few.

My Opinion:
My opinion is DO NOT read this book. It was seriously a waste of time and I wish I had not bought and it and kept reading it. It took me a month to read it and it was a short book. It was a pointless story I thought.
Diane Will
Very much of a yawn by the end of this and I actually wondered at one point what the story was about. Two women 50 years apart, different lifestyles and supposedly a connection, where it was I don't actually know apart from the baby issue, and then it popped up right at the end. If there was any other reference earlier on I missed it. I'm sorry but that is hours of reading I will not get back. The characters weren't jump of the page either I'm afraid.
Cassie
While this book was wonderfully written, it left a lot to be desired for me. It felt as though there were parts of the story that dragged on forever, and parts that sped right by without focusing on the details. Besides Barbara and Siena, none of the other characters had much depth. I love the central idea behind the book, but I felt that it could have been better developed. This book was on the verge of something great, but just didn't quite get there.
Brandy
This book was extremely depressing and ultimately SUCH a let down. Character development-wise it was pretty shallow even though it was addressing really good issues that women sometimes face with marriage (childbirth/temptation). It was scattered and uneven, jumping back and forth from one woman to the other...the ultimate connection between the two was identified in the last two pages!! This book was definitely a waste of time to read.
Jenna
It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did it was a pretty cute story. It overlaps the lives of two women -- one in the modern day and one in the 1950s. Because it was telling two stories, it took a bit longer for the plots to develop. As the title suggests, the book explores the two women's internal struggles with what they think they want and what they think they should want and how that affects their lives.
Ann
I think we can all agree that Janet Evanovich is a flamboyant writer, ha, ha. Well, Ms. Buchan is the opposite. Her books are quiet and somewhat reserved. Which doesn't mean to say that she fails to deal with life issues. This book tells of 2 middle-aged women, one in 1959 and one living in 1999, and unfolds a momentous decision each must make that will affect the rest of their lives. Quiet but powerful...
Clare Coffey
I gave up, am afraid. Did not really enjoy it- the characters were in my opinion too wooden.
Nancy
Mar 25, 2008 Nancy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nancy by: Missweneki
Wendy gave me this book last year as a summer read - and I just got to it. I was expecting fluff and got more than that. I love the writing style - the author really gives you a feel for the two characters. This book examines two married women's lives in different eras (post-WWII and now-ish) and how they deal with their relationships, life expectations, etc.
Wendy
The characters seem to just plod along and you never seem to get a connection with either of them or understand their lot in life.

One (Siena) just seems whining about how her husband does not get her while the other (Barbara) is enraptured by a man who asks her to one lecture and a seems to sweat alot. Alot of fluff and no substance. Pitty.
DJ
I liked the stories, but they definitely felt like two completely different stories. Maybe the connections were too subtle for me. I felt like the ending connection between the two was a bit contrived. However, I feel like Elizabeth Buchan is a good writer and a good story teller; I enjoyed reading this book and would read more by her.
Jean

This book goes back and forth between two heroines in two different time periods, and ties them together at the end. It’s basically a romance novel aimed toward women of a certain age without being too formulaic or trite. I found the author’s Wives Behaving Badly a more enjoyable read, but this one’s not offensive.
Krob
Jul 14, 2008 Krob added it
Two stories told simultaneously -- one about a young woman who couldn't decide if she wanted to have a baby despite her husband's longing for a child and the other story about a married woman having an affair with a much younger man. The second story didn't ring true, but the ending was great since both stories came together.
Adrienne
I can't believe I read the whole thing. I just kept waiting for it to get better. The women in the story just didn't seem like adults to me. They had crisis of conscience and couldn't manage to just come out and deal with it, instead they bemoaned their life which was good in the first place. Frustrating read.
  • Bed & Breakfast
  • The Diary of an American Au Pair: A Novel
  • The Great Santa Search
  • Circle of Three
  • The Breakdown Lane
  • The Price of Freedom (Scottish Crown, #2)
  • Running the Maze (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #5)
  • Love @ First Site
  • Do Fish Drink Water?: Puzzling and Improbable Questions and Answers
  • Girl in the Mirror
Elizabeth Buchan was born in Guildford, Surrey, England, the daughter of Eleanor Mary Peters and Major Peter Oakleigh-Walker. She obtained for a double degree in English and History at the University of Kent at Canterbury.

Elizabeth married with Benjamin William Alastair Buchan, grandson of the also writer John Buchan, they had one son, Adam Peter Alastair Buchan (b. 1980), and a daughter, Eleanor...more
More about Elizabeth Buchan...
Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman  (The Two Mrs Lloyd, #1) The Good Wife Strikes Back Wives Behaving Badly Separate Beds Consider the Lily