Start by marking “Breakheart Pass” as Want to Read:
Breakheart Pass

Breakheart Pass

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  1,691 ratings  ·  43 reviews
A magnificent tale of heart-stopping suspense from the highly acclaimed master of the genre.

The Rocky Mountains, Winter 1873…

One of the most desolate stretches of railroad in the West. Travelling along it is a crowded troop train, bound for the cholera-stricken garrison at Fort Humboldt. On board are the Governor of Nevada, the daughter of the fort’s commander and a US mar
Published June 6th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Breakheart Pass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakheart Pass

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryTrue Grit by Charles PortisBlood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthyBury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee BrownAll the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
Best Westerns
77th out of 680 books — 928 voters
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk1984 by George OrwellFear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. ThompsonWatchmen by Alan MooreLord of the Flies by William Golding
Real Man Books
171st out of 540 books — 232 voters

More lists with this book...

Please read my complete review at Casual Debris.

When I was a kid in the mid-to-late 1980s my parents were among the last in the neighbourhood, perhaps even the western hemisphere, to purchase that bulky hunk of metal known as a video cassette recorder. Popularly known at the time as a VCR, it was a piece of medieval technology that could both record and play back movies using a cheap, slim strip of plastic encased in a large rectangular hard plastic casing (known as a cassette). Oddly, at times
Laura Verret
Sure, it’s an army train – U. S. Marshall Nathan Pearce knew that before Colonel Claremont refused his request to hitch a ride to Fort Humboldt to arrest Sepp Calhoun. Arresting criminals isn’t the army’s business and Claremont wants no part in it. But when Pearce arrests a man – John Deakin – who is guilty of crimes against the people and the army, Claremont grudgingly allows them onto his train.

As the train hurtles through the uninhabited wilderness towards the remote outpost, it becomes immed
This happens to be my first one on the Wild West and I must say it leaves me intrigued. Picturesque, sometimes grotesque, this would perhaps be one of his best works. The long, complex sentences told with a monotonicity that is matched only by the Macleanean skill of keeping the reader engrossed, are an added bonus.
If you love the West, the Indians and outlaws, have a read. Satisfaction guaranteed.
Alistair MacLean is my favorite spy novelist from the 1950s and 1960s. Although this one, veers off into new territory by taking place after the civil war. Still suspenseful and exciting. Still fun. Very nostalgic. I cut my teeth on these when I was in Junior High/High School.
It's a good story, but the quality of the writing is abominable. It reads like a first draft.
"Ο ριψοκίνδυνος", εκδόσεις ΒΙΠΕΡ.

Αυτό είναι το τέταρτο βιβλίο του Άλιστερ Μακλίν που περνάει στη λίστα με τα διαβασμένα και μπορώ να πω ότι είναι καλύτερο από τα υπόλοιπα.

Έχοντας δει την ταινία λίγες μέρες πριν, θυμόμουν πολλές σκηνές και ήξερα τι θα γίνει, αλλά ήθελα οπωσδήποτε να διαβάσω το βιβλίο. Οι διαφορές ελάχιστες και όχι τόσο σημαντικές, σίγουρα όμως ο σκηνοθέτης έκανε καλή δουλειά, η μεταφορά του βιβλίου στην οθόνη ήταν αξιόλογη.

Η υπόθεση απλή, ένα τρένο διασχίζει τα Βραχώδη Όρη το 1
Kate Millin
I really enjoyed this thriller, which had a few twists and turns in it that had me surprised, but which worked really well. The action all takes place on a train which is on its way to a remote fort through some mountains in the snow. The train is carrying troops, a doctor, priest, colonel, governor and his niece, and are joined by a lawman and his prisoner. As the train goes through there are various incidents which increase the tension of those on board. A quick , easy read.
This book takes place on an Army train in the American West in the 19th century after the Civil War. The train, under the command of Colonel Claremont, is full of relief troops and supplies, headed to Fort Humboldt, a remote mountain fort in Paiute Indian territory. The train also has on board a Marshall who is escorting a captured Federal prisoner named John Dekin. On its journey, there will be murders, conspiracies, sabotage, ambushes, rooftop fights, and Indians seeking revenge. The action is ...more
A fast-paced Western thriller. A train's steaming toward a remote Nevada fort, seemingly on a rescue mission. A signature MacLean twist plays a huge part in this tale that's filled with double crosses, action and fun. I liked this considerably better than Circus, which was published a year later in a period, I know, that is not considered MacLean's best.
Arvind Vaidyanathan
Amazing book! Maclean at his best once again! He moves from post-war Europe to 19th century USA with effortless ease. Every single element of the story is so perfect that one wonders how a man can conceive to write such stuff! It keeps you guessing and wanting you to finish the book. A must read!
Lenny Husen
3.6 is the average rating and exactly right. This was fun, and I can see why it was made into a movie. The female character was less weak than MacLean's usual useless beauties and actually helped the situation. I couldn't put it down.
Definitely a fun beach/pool/recuperating from back injury book.
Jack Broscie
Vroeger was ik een groot fan van Alistair MacLean (vooral de eerste boeken), dus deze heb ik herlezen.
Viel mij knap tegen. Het hangt van onwaarschijnlijkheden en een teveel aan intriges aan elkaar. Taalgebruik is zwak, achtergrond van niemand komt ook maar enigszins uit de verf (alle personages zijn stereotype en zo plat als een pannenkoek), bepaalde tekstfragmenten herhalen zich, soms zelfs op dezelfde bladzijde.
Hier heeft de schrijver zich met een Jantje van Leiden afgemaakt; goed dat er toen
Tyler Cole
The story starts with a troop train traveling through the Rocky Mountains in the winter of 1873 with a destination of a remote Army outpost in Nevada that is supposedly plagued with cholera. On the train are relief troops, medical supplies, other provisions and a wanted outlaw in the custody of a United States Marshal. Once the train gets underway, everything changes. The story takes several twists and turns filled with action and adventure. No one, with the exception of few, are what they appea ...more
Shubham Agrawal
A taut,action packed standard Maclean novel. You get what you expect, nothing more , nothing less
A good old-fashioned death-or-glory adventure story from the Wild West.
A Maclean thriller set in the Old West. Excellent!
Peter Nathanael
A very good beginning but looses itself towards the end where it becomes too predictable and the thrill is over
D. Tourula
Another book that was made into a movie. Both are full of action.
Loved reading this book again - a great story...
J.T. Fleming
This book held no surprises, probably because I've read it several times and seen the movie more than once. Still, I thought the story was good. The plot is okay, and while I would have liked more character development, the characters were believable enough. I recommend it if you're looking for a light western adventure.
Just after the Civil War, an Army relief train speeds to a fort in Indian territory which is reportedly in the midst of a cholera epidemic. As the train approaches, mysterious accidents occur and tensions rise. This one is quite suspenseful and the movie version with Charlie Bronson is fun too.
Derek Durant
This is probably my favourite of Alastair Maclean's later books. It was a book I downloaded to my Kindle and it is great that otherwise out of print books can now be available. I just wish they would make a better job of producing the books as this one was littered with typos.
Really enjoyed this one. It may be a bit on the short side but its action packed and MacLean really draws the atmosphere of the great frontier. Some argue that his later novels are 'weaker' but I don't really buy into that. The movie's good as well!
JR Bricksfield
I really enjoy MacLean’s books, and Breakheart Pass is another gritty adventure story. Set in the American West aboard a train, it has a cast of characters that you think John Wayne would be among. It’s relatively short, but just a fun read.
Fredrick Danysh
A rescue and relief mission to a western fort where the majority of the men stationed there have died. Along for the ride, there is a highly wanted criminal who not wwhat he appears. In the high tradition that Louis L"Amour writes.
Fast-paced, small (192 pages), action packed; to be precise, a typical MacLean thriller (though this one's a western). Not great as some of his other works, mind you, but not boring either.
c1974: One of his later books but still keeping to his standard formula. This is not quite up to his previous stories..but it is still a cracking, if quick, read.
Read this when I was much younger along with a couple of other Alister Maclean books, loved it! A real page turner. Love the movie too!
Not sure about this one, as I prefer his wartime or modern day books, but still quite an entertaining short read
  • Alistair MacLean's Air Force One Is Down
  • Alistair MacLean's Red Alert
  • The Tightrope Men
  • May There Be a Road: Stories
  • Showdown At Yellow Butte
  • A Prayer for the Dying
  • North from Rome
Alistair Stuart MacLean (Scottish Gaelic: Alasdair MacGill-Eain), the son of a Scots Minister, was brought up in the Scottish Highlands. In 1941, at the age of eighteen, he joined the Royal Navy; two and a half years spent aboard a cruiser were to give him the background for 'HMS Ulysses', his first novel, the outstanding documentary novel on the war at sea. After the war he gained an English Hono ...more
More about Alistair MacLean...
Where Eagles Dare The Guns of Navarone Ice Station Zebra When Eight Bells Toll Force 10 from Navarone