Start by marking “Daily Life in Ancient Rome” as Want to Read:
Daily Life in Ancient Rome

Daily Life in Ancient Rome

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This book, now available in paperback, concerns the everyday private and public lives of the citizens of ancient Rome. Drawing on a broad selection of contemporary sources, the author examines the institutions, actions and rituals of day to day life.
Paperback
Published October 20th 1994 by Wiley-Blackwell (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Daily Life in Ancient Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daily Life in Ancient Rome

I, Claudius by Robert GravesThe First Man in Rome by Colleen McCulloughClaudius the God and His Wife Messalina by Robert GravesThe Twelve Caesars by SuetoniusThe Agricola and The Germania by Tacitus
Best Books About Ancient Rome
101st out of 549 books — 874 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom StoppardDoctors in Hell by Janet E. MorrisDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieThe Dead by James Joyce
Wanted Dead or Alive
199th out of 284 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark Freckleton
Mar 12, 2010 Mark Freckleton rated it it was amazing
We all know about the Roman Empire. But the Republic not only sets a better example of nobility and community, but has human figures with stories equally as compelling as during the empire: From Cincinnatus who in 457 BC accepted the Senate's pleas to take on dictatorship in a time of peril, then relinquished it 16 days later when the danger was past, to Cicero, one of the greatest orators of all time. This book looks at the little things, daily life at home, daily activities in the marketplace, ...more
D.L. Morrese
Mar 30, 2016 D.L. Morrese rated it liked it
Most histories of the Roman Republic cover wars and conquests, roads and architecture. This one tells us about how the people of Rome in the centuries prior to the Empire lived. It may suffer a bit from translation, but it's interesting. Their culture was much different from ours. In some ways, it seems oppressive, barbaric, but in others surprisingly civilized.
Simona
Feb 10, 2016 Simona rated it really liked it
A truly enjoyable book. It is not focused on events and dates, but on anecdotes and stories that illustrate the daily life of Romans. It almost reads like a novel. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about Roman customs and traditions particularly during the period of the Roman Republic.
Skander
Jul 08, 2013 Skander rated it really liked it
We used this book in an undergraduate course on "Roman Civilization Through Literature" - It contains excerpts from various literary sources that give a window on daily life. I found that approach to be very effective, especially with the quality translations into contemporary English that make it easy to imagine someone today writing very similar passages about modern life.
Colin
Jan 07, 2011 Colin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scholarly-works
I liked this one - I got it from the library, but would like to own it. Dupont does get inside the Roman mind fairly well. I disagreed with some of her conclusions, and noted a few errors in Latin (e.g. "homini" for "homines," etc.). Highly recommended to Romans and Latinists.
Emily
Jun 03, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Informative without being so academic that it wasn't readable. I especially loved the many citations and stories on actual roman citizens to support their assertions on how the roman conducted his daily life.
David Farel
Sep 26, 2012 David Farel rated it really liked it
I didn't know much about ancient Rome, but after reading this book, I'm really interested. Not sure if it's the book or Rome or me, but the book certainly helped.
Mel
Aug 18, 2013 Mel rated it it was amazing
This book was very enjoyable and interesting for me and for my 9 year old. It was quite easy and not boring at all. Looved it, would recommend it!
Daniel
Apr 02, 2011 Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: research, non-fiction
Lots of interesting cultural and day to day information about the Roman Republic, NOT the Roman Empire, though.
Marco Amodio
Oct 28, 2012 Marco Amodio rated it really liked it
For those who want more information and tips on the daily life of the Roman Republic, this book is perfect!
Tony
Aug 03, 2011 Tony rated it really liked it
Very interesting if you like ancient history - a little hard to read at times though.
Rachel
May 14, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Clear, concise, all encompassing. Best book I have ever read on ancient Rome.
Lysistrata
Lysistrata marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Filip
Filip marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Jackson
Jackson rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Lea
Lea marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Zeynep
Zeynep marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
AP
AP marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Blake Deppe
Blake Deppe rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Gayle McCreedy
Gayle McCreedy marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Ashely
Ashely marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Little_e99
Little_e99 marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
miss kelly drummond
miss kelly drummond rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Lunanima
Lunanima marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Jay Sanderson
Jay Sanderson marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Curt (Chaz) Jones
Curt (Chaz) Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Lorenzo
Lorenzo marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Arne
Arne marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Daily Life in Ancient Rome: The People and the City at the Height of the Empire
  • Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome
  • The Roman Emperors: A Biographical Guide to the Rulers of Imperial Rome, 31 BC-476
  • Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves: Women in Classical Antiquity
  • Lives of the Noble Romans
  • A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome
  • As the Romans Did: A Sourcebook in Roman Social History
  • Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome
  • Eureka!: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Ancient Greeks but Were Afraid to Ask
  • Chronicle of the Roman Emperors: The Reign-by-Reign Record of the Rulers of Imperial Rome
  • The Colosseum
  • The Greco-Persian Wars
  • Chattering Courtesans and Other Sardonic Sketches
  • The Later Roman Empire
  • Pioneer Women: The Lives of Women on the Frontier
  • The Gladiator: The Secret History of Rome's Warrior Slaves
  • Virgins of Venice: Broken Vows and Cloistered Lives in the Renaissance Convent
  • Roman Britain: A New History