Start by marking “Betrayal (Trinity, #1)” as Want to Read:
Betrayal (Trinity, #1)

Betrayal (Trinity #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,611 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Deep in the folklore of tallinor lies a dark legend of betrayal and destruction. It is the story of a powerful sentient called Orlac who almost destroyed the entire land. Even now, many centuries later, any sentient who is discovered is subjected to the barbaric practice of bridling and branding. But in a village far from the royal city a young scribe, torkyn Gynt, blazes ...more
Mass Market, 592 pages
Published August 31st 2005 by Voyager (first published 2001)

James
I hate - HATE - writing one star reviews. It means that a book has failed, that an authors work hasn't done what is expected of it, and even worse; it means I am going to go on an insult that author and all she has done to make this book. I hate that. I personally admire every single author who has ever managed to get their work into print, who has struggled hard to create a world so that people like me can get lost in it. Even the worse pieces of work should be held venerable, but... but, I can ...more
Lauren
Oct 04, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was 14 years old, I went into a bookshop with my stepmum complaining about how I had nothing new to read (the years long gaps between each Harry Potter novel was a strain on my fourteen year old existence). Looking at the 'fantasy and scifi' section, my stepmum came across a book called 'Betrayal' by Fiona McIntosh.
'This sounds interesting,' she said to me. 'Read the back.'
I did and agreed it did have a promising synopsis. My stepmum offering to buy it for me sealed the deal and we went
Rebecca
Nov 04, 2012 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this book, I won't be reading the second one, I certainly don't care enough about the characters or the world to find out what happens next, but that isn't what really bugs me enough about this book to give it only 1 star.

My biggest problem in this book was the actual writing. Now I understand that this was Fiona McIntosh's first book, but she clearly needed a better editor. In the prologue alone, I kept losing track of who was being written about, the constant use of pronouns, bu
Annaleise
Dec 18, 2013 Annaleise rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
There were a fair few things that bothered me about the writing in this book; it was glaringly obvious that this was the writer's first novel as her writing was clunky in places and there were a few details in the plot that needed smoothing over. However, full points for plot and characters, I raced through the second half and I liked that every chapter pushed the story along so nothing dragged. I was interested from page one and thoroughly enjoyed the plot development. I particularly liked the ...more
Emily
Sep 20, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is good, but by no means is it her best work. I found A LOT of similarities between this novel and Odalisque. I believe this was her first novel, and while it's a good book, I wasn't able to fly through it like the others. It feels as though she had some great ideas which she tried but didn't perfect until she re used them for Odalisque. A bit of a disappointment, but still readable. It would have been better if I had not read Odalisque already, but then I wouldn't like Odalisque as mu ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Sep 27, 2007 Shannon (Giraffe Days) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This is easily the worst fantasy book I've ever read. Horribly cliched, badly written, weak characters - the works. I didn't bother with the other two in this trilogy, but I did enjoy Odalisque, so I'd say her writing has improved. It's also one of the worst covers I've ever seen, though the second edition is very nice!)
Daniel Taylor
Feb 19, 2011 Daniel Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy
Part of the reason that I fell in love with Fiona is that I fell in love with Torkyn. This not a chick-lit romance wrapped in fantasy though. Fiona's idea is to do the worst thing imaginable to her characters and watch them struggle with the consequences.
Matt
Mar 08, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliantly written book about magic, passion, confusion, and unsurprisingly, betrayal. Had me really holding on to my seat. I will be sure to re-read it in the future. But now, I begin reading book 2.
Nayth
Apr 06, 2011 Nayth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i think this has been my favorite trilogy thus far. if you want an excellent, gripping tale that will take you on adventure please read any of Fiona McIntosh's books!
Jax
Dec 21, 2015 Jax rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It really upsets me to give low ratings to books in my favourite genre, but sadly – if my higher ratings are to mean anything at all (to me, myself and I) it must be done.
However, I feel I need to explain why my rating and thoughts aren’t the 4 / 5 stars with glowing recommendations.

I was really looking forward to both reading and enjoying Betrayal.
And I guess the title lived up to its name, as my expectations felt somewhat betrayed. (Especially with a blurb from Robin Hobb on the cover.)
Most
Barbara
Jan 29, 2016 Barbara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fantasy
Stéphanie
Apr 05, 2013 Stéphanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first volume in the Trinity trilogy (before Revenge and Destiny).

The book opens on a scene of crucifixion and stoning at the Royal Court of Tal. That of Torkyn Gynt, accused by Chief Inquisitor Goth of getting involved an Untouchable, Alyssa, who witnesses the execution.

Then the tale flashes back to 7 years earlier. Our two heroes are 15 years old, and although they haven’t met yet, they’ve been communicating through the Link since their childhood. For reasons unknown, and luckily fo
Kim
Mar 10, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Het werd onderhand weer eens tijd om weer eens een boek te gaan lezen in mijn favoriete genre, Fantasy. Na even rondneuzen in de bieb zag ik 'Het Verraad' van de voor mij nog onbekende schrijfster Fiona McIntosh. Dit is niet alleen het eerste boek van de trilogie 'De Beproeving', maar ook het eerste boek van de schrijfster zelf.

Het verhaal speelt zich af in het land Tallinor. Er doet de legende de ronde van de machtige magiër Orlac. Deze gevaarlijke tovenaar staat op het punt om te ontsnappen ui
Alice
Apr 18, 2016 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Sooo, yeah. Just finished the first part of this "Trinity"-trilogy (trinity - trilogy, heheheh) and I'm not quite sure how I feel. The definitely wasn't a four or five star book. If it had been, I would've finished it way quicker than I did. I would've neglected housework, dinner, my friends and my lover and I CERTAINLY wouldn't have chosen replaying games instead of reading it.

Three stars, then? No, I don't think so. The writing was clunky, the main character was way too Gary-Stu for my tastes
Hugh Mullan
After a very (very) shaky start, this book settled down and ended up being an enjoyable adventure and I'll be picking up book 2; so it did enough to hold my interest.

I appreciate that's faint praise but the novel was not without problems. Firstly, I've read a lot of Fiona's novels and whilst I'm obviously a fan, there is a lot of repetition between this trilogy and two other trilogies (and I mean a lot of overlap) so that was disappointing; the trilogies were bleeding into one another and took
Emily
Dec 13, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and thought it a promising start to a trilogy. I have previously read and enjoyed the "Quickening" series written by the same author. I profess that "The Quickening" series was noticable more planned and structured, with a much stronger writing style. However, even with this comparison it did not diminish my enjoyment in "Betrayal". Sometimes it can feel a bit rushed, and I was initially disappointed with the main female protagonist Alyssa (she is a little weak to ...more
Ari
Nov 30, 2013 Ari rated it it was ok
This book is a solid traditional epic, which reads well. It does use the cliché trope of ‘the one’ and has some things in it that I found problematic, a sign of the book’s age and the author’s inexperience at the time.

The biggest problem for me was that this is very much a first book in a series, a lot of set up with not enough resolution. And then (view spoiler)
Moon
Apr 26, 2012 Moon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit disappointed in this book. Too much violence, and there's no real need for it, except to make a good story long enough for three books, which kinda messes up the story. So badly, that I don't think I'll read the next two books. I sought the summary of each and was happy with that, since I didn't want to read any more gruesome violence that's just for the sake of having violence. It doesn't really build the story (we already have SO much going on, that there's no need to have MORE, an ...more
Saskia
Nov 08, 2009 Saskia rated it really liked it
This book is a very good story, with very realistic characters placed in a new setting, but still struggling with many of the problems we face today; love and separation, and being persecuted against for a trait that you cannot help possessing.

Tor and Alyssa are separated near the beginning of the book, each taking a separate path, protected by the mysterious forest and its creatures.

Tor keeps fighting until the end, trying to keep the God Orlac, for now bound by the Paladin, from reaching Tall
SBC
Apr 03, 2013 SBC rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For starters, I hate starting a story only to find the prologue or first chapter is set seven years in the future then I have to go through seven years of plot to get to that point again in the final chapter. For me it's a spoiler more than an enticement. And when the climax is at the start, the rest of the story can really be a bit of a wet blanket, which was how I felt about this one. It was okay, but I didn't develop an attachment to any of the characters, instead finding them somewhat flat.
Ess
Jan 30, 2017 Ess rated it it was amazing
All I want to say are two things:
Firstly, that I could barely put this book down and secondly.... I have never despised or loathed a character more than Xantia. She has to be the most nasty, loathsome, horrible character I have ever read and she truly made my blood boil- who does she honestly think she is? AND this is more than Goth- and that's saying something!
Every time I saw her name I would get so angry haha I just can't stand characters- PEOPLE- who act the way she does.... ugh
but other tha
Fergus
Oct 03, 2012 Fergus rated it it was amazing
Betrayal is a 500-600 word book set in The kingdom of tal. The book centers around a boy named Torken Gynt and a girl called alyessa. They both a sentient and therefore posses special powers but they have to hide this gift becuase in the kingdom of tal no sentinal is safe. The book is litered with mystery and lots of twists and turns i think the plot is exellent and think it is a fabulous book
David
Oct 26, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Interesting, if a little predictable.

An enjoyable fantasy romp in a new made up land. McIntosh however has a tendency to rely on plot holes being covered by magic. Without; in my opinion, there being cause for it.

All in all quite a good story, I think I'll grab the next book in the trilogy.
Kelly Callaghan
Sadly, characters in fantasy novels tend to be one dimensional - all good or all bad. This book conforms to the stereotype such that one of the 'goodies' is reborn in a form that overcomes his disabilities. I enjoyed the story, even though every move was telegraphed early in the piece. Will I read the remaining books? Probably not.
Holly Anderson
Jan 30, 2012 Holly Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed this book.
I liked the way the author incorporated a real variety and mixture of fantasy elements including magic, gods, politics, violence and romance to create a smooth fantasy adventure trilogy.
Some of the ways that the characters dealt with such terrible situations in this book really helped me to adapt to situations during my backpacking adventures.
Jessica Hagley
Oct 13, 2015 Jessica Hagley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having taken only three days to finish it off I think it is safe to say that I loved this story and find in disappointing that others have not felt the same.
Do not be put off by reviews about messy writing style, poor character development or predictable plot line; the story is just enjoyable. Definitely give it a go!
Angela
Jul 18, 2014 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The start of the book was good, the main part of the story as to how the events unfolded was more then a little dull and not very well plotted out, it went from point A to point B with no issues to get in the way of things. The ending was not what I expected and was what redeemed the book in my opinion.
Paul M.
Apr 30, 2015 Paul M. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I judge fantasy novels by Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series, which while not perfect, for the most part, created an interesting world with interesting characters.

This book I picked up a random at the library, and found it to be fairly formulaic. I'll update this review as I go (220 pages in), but so far I would not call it a page turner.

Katri
Sep 07, 2011 Katri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a perfect pick to feed my hunger of silliness. It was rather predictable and nothing too special, but nicely written and enticing enough to keep me going. I'll probably finish the trilogy in my next hunger for easy entertainment
Lee
Jan 14, 2017 Lee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A fail to finish which is unusual for me. I have enjoyed previous series by this author but this book had character attitudes and motivations that were just not believable. The narrative was pedestrian as well.
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • Fallowblade (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #4)
  • The Alchemist's Key
  • The Heart of Stars (Rhiannon's Ride #3)
  • The Shadow of Tyr (Mirage Makers, #2)
Fiona writes best selling historical adventure-romance alongside the heroic-romantic, often brutal, fantasy she built her career upon. She lives in Australia but frequently roams the world meticulously researching the locations and gathering material for her historical novels that have international settings. Her books are published worldwide and in various languages.
Her most recent historical fi
More about Fiona McIntosh...

Trinity (3 books)