Betrayal (Trinity, #1)

Betrayal (Trinity #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,139 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Deep in the folklore of Tallinor lies a dark story of betrayal & destruction, the story of a powerful sentient called Orlac who once razed the famed city of Caremboche, & almost destroyed the entire Land. This is the first book in a fantasy trilogy.
Mass Market, 592 pages
Published August 31st 2005 by Voyager (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayal

James
I hate - HATE - writing one star reviews. It means that a book has failed, that an authors work hasn't done what is expected of it, and even worse; it means I am going to go on an insult that author and all she has done to make this book. I hate that. I personally admire every single author who has ever managed to get their work into print, who has struggled hard to create a world so that people like me can get lost in it. Even the worse pieces of work should be held venerable, but... but, I can...more
Annaleise
There were a fair few things that bothered me about the writing in this book; it was glaringly obvious that this was the writer's first novel as her writing was clunky in places and there were a few details in the plot that needed smoothing over. However, full points for plot and characters, I raced through the second half and I liked that every chapter pushed the story along so nothing dragged. I was interested from page one and thoroughly enjoyed the plot development. I particularly liked the...more
Emily
This book is good, but by no means is it her best work. I found A LOT of similarities between this novel and Odalisque. I believe this was her first novel, and while it's a good book, I wasn't able to fly through it like the others. It feels as though she had some great ideas which she tried but didn't perfect until she re used them for Odalisque. A bit of a disappointment, but still readable. It would have been better if I had not read Odalisque already, but then I wouldn't like Odalisque as mu...more
Daniel G.
Part of the reason that I fell in love with Fiona is that I fell in love with Torkyn. This not a chick-lit romance wrapped in fantasy though. Fiona's idea is to do the worst thing imaginable to her characters and watch them struggle with the consequences.
Matt
A brilliantly written book about magic, passion, confusion, and unsurprisingly, betrayal. Had me really holding on to my seat. I will be sure to re-read it in the future. But now, I begin reading book 2.
Nayth
i think this has been my favorite trilogy thus far. if you want an excellent, gripping tale that will take you on adventure please read any of Fiona McIntosh's books!
Rebecca
I didn't enjoy this book, I won't be reading the second one, I certainly don't care enough about the characters or the world to find out what happens next, but that isn't what really bugs me enough about this book to give it only 1 star.

My biggest problem in this book was the actual writing. Now I understand that this was Fiona McIntosh's first book, but she clearly needed a better editor. In the prologue alone, I kept losing track of who was being written about, the constant use of pronouns, bu...more
Kelly Callaghan
Sadly, characters in fantasy novels tend to be one dimensional - all good or all bad. This book conforms to the stereotype such that one of the 'goodies' is reborn in a form that overcomes his disabilities. I enjoyed the story, even though every move was telegraphed early in the piece. Will I read the remaining books? Probably not.
Ari  Harradine
This book is a solid traditional epic, which reads well. It does use the cliché trope of ‘the one’ and has some things in it that I found problematic, a sign of the book’s age and the author’s inexperience at the time.

The biggest problem for me was that this is very much a first book in a series, a lot of set up with not enough resolution. And then (view spoiler)...more
Angela
The start of the book was good, the main part of the story as to how the events unfolded was more then a little dull and not very well plotted out, it went from point A to point B with no issues to get in the way of things. The ending was not what I expected and was what redeemed the book in my opinion.
Emily
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and thought it a promising start to a trilogy. I have previously read and enjoyed the "Quickening" series written by the same author. I profess that "The Quickening" series was noticable more planned and structured, with a much stronger writing style. However, even with this comparison it did not diminish my enjoyment in "Betrayal". Sometimes it can feel a bit rushed, and I was initially disappointed with the main female protagonist Alyssa (she is a little weak to...more
Elena
I was a bit disappointed in this book. Too much violence, and there's no real need for it, except to make a good story long enough for three books, which kinda messes up the story. So badly, that I don't think I'll read the next two books. I sought the summary of each and was happy with that, since I didn't want to read any more gruesome violence that's just for the sake of having violence. It doesn't really build the story (we already have SO much going on, that there's no need to have MORE, an...more
Saskia Largent
This book is a very good story, with very realistic characters placed in a new setting, but still struggling with many of the problems we face today; love and separation, and being persecuted against for a trait that you cannot help possessing.

Tor and Alyssa are separated near the beginning of the book, each taking a separate path, protected by the mysterious forest and its creatures.

Tor keeps fighting until the end, trying to keep the God Orlac, for now bound by the Paladin, from reaching Tall...more
Shelley
For starters, I hate starting a story only to find the prologue or first chapter is set seven years in the future then I have to go through seven years of plot to get to that point again in the final chapter. For me it's a spoiler more than an enticement. And when the climax is at the start, the rest of the story can really be a bit of a wet blanket, which was how I felt about this one. It was okay, but I didn't develop an attachment to any of the characters, instead finding them somewhat flat.
Fergus
Betrayal is a 500-600 word book set in The kingdom of tal. The book centers around a boy named Torken Gynt and a girl called alyessa. They both a sentient and therefore posses special powers but they have to hide this gift becuase in the kingdom of tal no sentinal is safe. The book is litered with mystery and lots of twists and turns i think the plot is exellent and think it is a fabulous book
Holly Anderson
I really enjoyed this book.
I liked the way the author incorporated a real variety and mixture of fantasy elements including magic, gods, politics, violence and romance to create a smooth fantasy adventure trilogy.
Some of the ways that the characters dealt with such terrible situations in this book really helped me to adapt to situations during my backpacking adventures.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is easily the worst fantasy book I've ever read. Horribly cliched, badly written, weak characters - the works. I didn't bother with the other two in this trilogy, but I did enjoy Odalisque, so I'd say her writing has improved. It's also one of the worst covers I've ever seen, though the second edition is very nice!)
David

Interesting, if a little predictable.

An enjoyable fantasy romp in a new made up land. McIntosh however has a tendency to rely on plot holes being covered by magic. Without; in my opinion, there being cause for it.

All in all quite a good story, I think I'll grab the next book in the trilogy.
Katri
It was a perfect pick to feed my hunger of silliness. It was rather predictable and nothing too special, but nicely written and enticing enough to keep me going. I'll probably finish the trilogy in my next hunger for easy entertainment
Anjanette
The story is interesting, but I do not like how it is written. The POV changes too often. I will most likely finish the trilogy, but feel the books could have been written better than they were. It feels a little too erratic.
Wander
The plot is pretty thin and I found the narrative style awkward at times. The story had enough substance to make it readable, but I have absolutely no desire to read the other two books.
Cindy
Het was lang geleden dat ik nog een fantasy book had gelezen, maar deze is echt wel goed. Liefde, verraad, een gebroken hart, het komt allemaal terug. En er zit ook veel spanning in.
Ms_prue
I wanted to like it but I couldn't do it. Trope overload with added squick at the gender relations in this particular world. Got up to chapter 5, I think, and did not finish.
Skylark
Very cliched, annoyingly perfect characters, but I managed to get through it, at least. Read this for escapism only - there are tons of better books out there.
Fergus Smith
good book good start to the series author very descriptive and sets out book well by pacing it so that characters evolve and the plot doesnt get to complicated
Karen
Loved the story, I really enjoyed the intrigue and Found that knowing what happened almost at the end made me want to read it more quickly.
Adele Mckeen
Betrayal is one of my all time favourite books, I completely adore it and re-read constantly. Highly recommended and I love it.
Mariacarolyn Mendoza
a beautiful and very interesting book.It is a story that goes beyond imagination.a harry potter and Lord of the rings format
E'lyne
It was a good book! Very intreguing and had me captivated the whole way. I stared book two straight away! :)
Rupert Gilliand
Light and easily read I was reminded somewhat of Terry Goodkind without the overt sadism.
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • The Alchemist's Key
  • The Heart of Stars (Rhiannon's Ride #3)
  • Weatherwitch (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #3)
  • The Shadow of Tyr (Mirage Makers, #2)
Fiona writes best selling historical adventure-romance alongside the heroic-romantic, often brutal, fantasy she built her career upon. She lives in Australia but frequently roams the world meticulously researching the locations and gathering material for her historical novels that have international settings. Her books are published worldwide and in various languages.
Her most recent historical fi...more
More about Fiona McIntosh...
Myrren's Gift (The Quickening, #1) Bridge of Souls (The Quickening, #3) Blood and Memory (The Quickening, #2) Royal Exile (Valisar, #1) Odalisque (Percheron, #1)