Start by marking “Scorsese on Scorsese: Revised Edition” as Want to Read:
Scorsese on Scorsese: Revised Edition

Scorsese on Scorsese: Revised Edition (Directors on Directors)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  702 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Martin Scorsese's challenging and often controversial films are a record of the most personal achievement in modern American cinema. Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Gooodfellas--these titles conjure up a world and a style of filmmaking that he has made his own, one of a savage beauty of great intensity and truth.

The interviews which make up this book chart the jour
Published January 14th 2004 by Faber & Faber (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Scorsese on Scorsese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scorsese on Scorsese

Pavel
First time on Goodreads I looked through other reviews before giving mine, because I actually don't know if like it or not and basically I feel the same about Scrosese movies themselves. I learned a lot from Taxi Driver or Raging Bull or Mean Streets, but I never enjoyed them as a viewer. His later more mainstream Holywood ones like Casino, The Age of Innocence or Aviator are not covered here - the book was published in late 80s and covers Scorsese films up to Goodfellas.
Goodreads reviews are 4
Olivia
Dec 29, 2013 Olivia rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with insights on Marty's filmmaking process. When I started reading this book, I decided to watch his films along the way. It was a slow but very fulfilling experience! While one may not like all of his films, one would still gain certain appreciation for these films having read his thought process.

Marty also frequently cited music and older films that became inspirations to his own films. This made reading the book a rich experience. One could go beyond this book and take h
Muzzlehatch
Sep 27, 2008 Muzzlehatch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any fans of the director's work
Shelves: film
Like other books in this series that I've read, this is done mostly in conversational style, clips from interviews originally, in most cases. Ordered chronologically by film, with a final brief chapter on "Goodfellas", barely released at the date of publication for the edition I have. My favorite sections are those on "The Last Temptation of Christ" and "Raging Bull." Scorsese is uber-knowledgeable about film of course, and can usually be counted on to point out examples from many other director ...more
Ian Robinson
May 21, 2008 Ian Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cinema
not just a personal insight into the films and the film maker himself, but into film as a life, as a love.
Russio
Aug 17, 2013 Russio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly well edited chronological walk through the man's films, with roughly equal treatment given to each. Scorcese talks fairly openly and the book is most interesting when talking about the high points of his career, less so for some of his other works. It pays a lot of attention ti the controversy surrounding The Last Temptation of Christ, relatively recent when the first edition was written and while that is clearly a defining moment for the flm-maker it is not such a great film in my view. ...more
Ryan Sanderson
Jul 16, 2013 Ryan Sanderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a number of things one hopes for from a filmmaking memoir: recommendations, insights, a look into the mind of creative genius. I don't have a lot of patience for on-set anecdotes, and although it could be said that this book is comprised of almost nothing else, Martin Scorsese is such a specific, contagious personality that his words have added value. When Scorsese really lets loose--discusses his thoughts on human nature, religion, the process of filmmaking--the insight is absolutely ...more
Zach Branson
Sep 05, 2014 Zach Branson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book - basically a transcription of interviews with Scorsese, so it's pretty much an autobiography. Scorsese gives you a ton of film history in addition to the history of all of his films up to Gangs of New York.
Mamoon Ahmed
Sep 30, 2014 Mamoon Ahmed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant insight into Scorsese's background as an artist.
Mark
Sep 04, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film
Very well put together, as all of the Faber "whoever on whoever" books are, this has David Thompson & Ian Christie not so much interviewing Scorsese, as trying to rein him in to keep the page count down. Biography, indepth interviews about his films (up to GoodFellas, when this was published), this is a terrific read.
Sara
Apr 11, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
If it wasn't for my presentation devoted to Wharton's "The Age of Innocence" and its movie adaptation, probably I'd never pick this book up.
Thankfully, this book turn out to be not only a great source of information on the movie and the whole movie-making process but also a fascinating journey into Scorsese's mind.
Rathan Krueger
Jun 21, 2010 Rathan Krueger rated it it was amazing
It was great to have Scorsese talk about his films because it's never just about his work but those that inspired him. I'd really love to sit down and talk to him about various movies because I see a kindred spirit behind those eyes and it's so hard to find someone who... breathes movies like myself.
Lawrence L
Aug 03, 2008 Lawrence L rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect companion to a lover of Scorsese films. There is a lot of insight into what was behind his movies. It is worth getting to sit next to your DVDS to refer to while you are watching some great films.
Tami
Jul 27, 2010 Tami rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-read
got at a bookcrossing event, and liked it. the pictures included many i had not seen and the stories were interesting. i had no idea liza minelli knew scorsese.
Aaron Shea
Jul 26, 2015 Aaron Shea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looking forward to watching all the early movies I hadn't heard of. Interesting information about his influences and choices.
KK
Aug 10, 2008 KK added it
disclaimer: this book was released just before Goodfellas.
but boy, does it talk about taxi driver and color of money!
Roger Cottrell
Oct 22, 2008 Roger Cottrell rated it it was amazing
The story of the "integrated film" by one of its greatest practitioners. Magnificent.
Carole Germishuys
Very interesting insight into the making of his films in his own words
Daniel
May 30, 2013 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sticks to superficial detail disappointingly.
Wayne
Wayne rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
yes marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Kirmser
Kirmser marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
راضي النماصي
راضي النماصي marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Muhammad Nouman
Muhammad Nouman marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Stuart Rosen
Stuart Rosen rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Drach
Drach rated it did not like it
Apr 26, 2016
Barry Whitwell
Barry Whitwell rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Tomonaut
Tomonaut marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
  • Cassavetes on Cassavetes
  • Cronenberg on Cronenberg
  • Godard on Godard: Critical Writings
  • Gilliam on Gilliam (Directors on Directors)
  • Stanley Kubrick: Interviews
  • Scorsese
  • The Films of Akira Kurosawa
  • The Films in My Life
  • Lynch on Lynch
  • Rebels on the Backlot: Six Maverick Directors and How They Conquered the Hollywood Studio System
  • What is Cinema?: Volume 2
  • A History of Narrative Film
  • Who the Devil Made It: Conversations With Legendary Film Directors
David Thompson is the pen name of David L.Robbins.
More about David Thompson...

Directors on Directors (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Lynch on Lynch