Start by marking “The Shape of Me and Other Stuff” as Want to Read:
The Shape of Me and Other Stuff

The Shape of Me and Other Stuff (Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  2,714 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Subtitled "Dr. Seuss's Surprising Word Book," The Shape of Me and Other Stuff certainly lives up to its billing. In this delightful book, first published in 1973, kids are encouraged to ponder shapes they may never have considered before: "Just think about the shape of beans and flowers and mice and big machines!" Dr. Seuss's illustrations are in silhouette (for the purpos ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Picture Lions (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Shape of Me and Other Stuff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shape of Me and Other Stuff

Perfect Square by Michael  HallSay It with Shapes and Numbers by Marlene KlimanMy Heart Is Like a Zoo by Michael  HallSwirl by Swirl by Joyce SidmanThe Wing on a Flea by Ed Emberley
Picture Books About Shapes
11th out of 57 books — 15 voters
The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn MacklerLove Fortunes and Other Disasters by Kimberly KaraliusCourage and Other Demons by Jill DaughertyFamily and Other Accidents by Shari GoldhagenSleeping Cinderella and Other Princess Mix-ups by Stephanie Clarkson
Titles: Noun, Noun, and Other Nouns
33rd out of 72 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Anna Lawrence
May 06, 2015 Anna Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction:
Even as an adult, I loved reading this book!! One reason for that is it brought back many memories from when I was younger and really into reading Dr. Seuss books. Dr. Seuss definitely reminds me of my childhood and many school experiences. I was gifted "Oh the Places You'll Go" by my 5th grade teacher at my graduation to middle school, so any kind of Dr. Seuss book strikes up that memory! I love the positive vibes that all Dr. Seuss books have. The one thing that hit me in the
Kate
Nov 16, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-hobbit
This book is delightful and adorable! I love the illustrations and the magic of the shapes and rhymes. Plus it has a cute little message at the end. Very sweet and enjoyable.
Jordan Hernandez
May 09, 2015 Jordan Hernandez rated it really liked it
My first impression of the book was that it was an excellent beginning level read aloud with lots of repetition and rhyming involved in the text. For a read aloud this book could be used in order to began a unit on the subject of shapes of course. It could be read before doing a fun easy project for all ages a colleague. It allows for students to see different shapes and the words that match them. For individual readers, this book would be good to practice reading fluency. It also exposes the re ...more
Rachel
Aug 14, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
An excellent beginning reader, this work uses clear repetition, large text and bold illustrations to assist readers. It discusses the different kinds of shapes objects can take, even when it's the same thing. For example, people's noses look different, yet they are still noses. Bubblegum can hold various shapes, too, though it is still essentially the same substance. Dr. Seuss expresses this concept using silhouettes, which may lack some of the brightness of his typical artwork, but certainly co ...more
Magila
Oct 05, 2014 Magila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, board-books
On an admin note, this is a review of the board book. Goodreads, the policy needs to be changed to break out editions that are not similar to others. I have no issue with hard and softcover, and other combinations, but a simple board book with 20 hard pages and 5 words per page should not be combined with the regular version of a picture book.

Onto the books. Dr. Seuss was the original in zany, and the combination of cute real shapes and Seuss-ities were something special. My son loves this, and
Angie
Mar 13, 2014 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "Subtitled "Dr. Seuss's Surprising Word Book," The Shape of Me and Other Stuff certainly lives up to its billing. In this delightful book, first published in 1973, kids are encouraged to ponder shapes they may never have considered before: "Just think about the shape of beans and flowers and mice and big machines!" Dr. Seuss's illustrations are in silhouette (for the purpose of accenting the outlines of figures), but are nonetheless up to par with his usual wacky, amusing style. Soarin ...more
Sarah Hannon
May 08, 2015 Sarah Hannon rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction - I loved this book because it is creative and written by one of my favorite Children's authors, Dr. Seuss! I really liked how the book encourages children to consider the shapes of many items.

Purpose/Use in the classroom:

Read aloud:
-Unit on diversity

Independent Reading:
-Students who love Dr. Seuss and his style of books.

For narrative:
-A good use of setting and theme. Dr. Seuss has a particular rhyme-based writing style that draws readers in.

Sam
Mar 01, 2014 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
It rhymes. It moves. And, for a Dr. Seuss book, it isn't insanely long and full of gobbly-gook. Naturally, this makes for a better than most read aloud.

This would probably work best as one-on-one story reading where one could really take time and discuss different shapes. There's lots of outlines of weirdly shaped things and people and talking about what actual shapes make up each is probably a stretch for a full room storytime.

Columbus
Aug 19, 2014 Columbus rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this books lot. It's classic Seuss with colorful pictures, witty rhymes and and wonderful lessons for all ages. I read this to a 22 month old and I'm assuming he listened to me while steadily biting the edges and beating on the book. Doesn't matter, I don't hide the fact now that I'm reading Seuss just as much for myself as the little one. I can/will read his books over and over and over and over.....
Thabata
Sep 14, 2016 Thabata rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
The shape of me, the shape of you, the shape of lots of other things. Dr. Seuss explores shapes in a delightful little book, with his pretty rhymes, fantastic creatures and funny jests. It is a simple book, but a good past time for all and a good teaching tool for young children and people who are beginning to learn English. Plus, the title is very witty and the illustrations quite nice!
Camille Rivera
Jun 25, 2015 Camille Rivera rated it really liked it
A boy and a girl discuss together the shape of themselves and reflect on how different the shapes are of everything else they see. They admire how two things never have the same shape from chewing gum to mountains and tires. This book is a very simple one meant to teach about shapes, but it does it in a unique and interesting way. Even though the illustrations never show more than the shape of something, they have character and are fun and easy to relate to. As you read it is easy to get caught ...more
Rosa Cline
Mar 16, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a Bright and Early for Beginning Beginners Book. Many repetitive words which would be easy for a little guy learning to read. AND this storybook helps spark imagination and helps a child to think about shadows and what things are shaped like. My 4 year old granddaughter enjoyed trying to figure out what the shadows were.
Heather
Feb 07, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, art-creativity
A short fun rhyming book that would be good for early readers or little little ones. Also a good book to think about shapes and shadows. Could be a good read before drawing each other's shadow or outlining shapes of people, hands or feet. A really interesting and creative book that could be used in many ways.
Mary
This is a great book about being happy to be the shape that you are because there are so many other shapes in the world, too, and nobody is shaped quite like you! Written in typical Dr. Seuss style with the images to match, this is a great book for improving self esteem in young children.
Athena
Apr 25, 2014 Athena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is still really good, but the art isn't the best of Dr. Suess. It's like more design-y what with its silhouette style, but Mom says that's to emphasize the shapes and all. I think that's a good point, but I just prefer all the silly visual details in some of the other books.
Elizabeth Neff
Feb 22, 2014 Elizabeth Neff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of our faves

this was a book that got read a lot when my girl were young but now I get to read it as an ebook for my grandson. It will be well loved in this house yet again. it doesn't need a review because it's a classic and should be enjoyed by all children.
Mark Baker
Mar 01, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-book
Not quite as imaginative as some of Seuss's classics but still a fun read for kids and their parents.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Heather
Mar 18, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
A lesser-known? Dr. Seuss book with fantastic shadow illustrations and a message about celebrating the shapes WE are in! My favorite pages are the "many shapes of chewing gum" and the mention of a creature called a "BLOGG" (haha).
Nathan
May 03, 2016 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, 2012
So, I'm in love with this book, not only for it's incredible Seuss-ness, but for the illustrations, the rhyming, the underlying message which is good FOR US ALL.
"HOORAY for the shapes we're in!"
Jackie
Jul 16, 2016 Jackie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
After reading this nicely presented story with shapes and many colors, I conclude with Dr Seuss, that of all the shapes we might have been...I say, "HOORAY for the shape we're in!"
Judy
Mar 31, 2014 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great books on different shapes and how everything is different. I think it would be a great read for all children. Shows bigger self esteem of themselves and how everyone is different!
Professor
Apr 27, 2015 Professor rated it liked it
Shelves: clams
A good Seuss book, but definitely not one of my favorites. Seuss's own fault for setting the bar so high!
LeiAnn
Dec 23, 2014 LeiAnn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and so do my kids. I didn't even know we had this book, lol. this will be a regular read.
Amanda Grooms
Another classic Seuss! And Z loves pointing out all the stuff on the pages!
Maria
This book would be great to teach how the shapes of everything is unique.
Sarah Stumphf
Aug 01, 2014 Sarah Stumphf rated it really liked it
This book is a great conversation starter with any 3 year old.
Marie
Jul 02, 2016 Marie rated it really liked it
Fun classic Seuss, with shape outline recognition.
Nicole
Apr 25, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it
I always love me some Dr. Seuss, as do my students.
Nicolas
Jul 13, 2016 Nicolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
Simple Seuss story that is interesting to look at and gives kids ways to participate.
Cindy
Feb 14, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how Dr. Seuss mostly rhymes his words.
Q&A with Chynna L...: Let's talk books, reading and favorite authors. 1 2 Apr 15, 2012 02:18PM
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • The Nose Book
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • Summer (Beginner Books)
  • My Very First Book Of Numbers
  • Daddy Kisses
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • Go, Train, Go!
  • Snow (Beginner Books B-27)
  • The M&M's Brand Chocolate Candies Counting Book
  • Neighborhood Animals (Baby Einstein)
More about Dr. Seuss...

Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Nose Book
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
  • I Can Write! A Book by Me, Myself (Bright & Early Book)
  • In a People House
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff / The Foot Book / Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (Bright and Early Board Books, Pack D)
  • Blue Train, Green Train (Thomas & Friends)
  • Fast Train, Slow Train (Thomas & Friends)
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words