Start by marking “Just Like My Papa” as Want to Read:
Just Like My Papa

Just Like My Papa

Kito wants to be just like his papa, the protector of the pride. Throughout a day and night on the savanna, the cub imitates the way his father roars, swings his tail, shakes his head, and pounces. Kito may be too little to catch a wildebeest, but he is brave enough to succeed in his own hunt. Someday he will be King, just like Papa.

With its rhythmic text, dramatic moments
Published April 2nd 2013 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Just Like My Papa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Like My Papa

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Just Like My Papa is a story about a young lion cub named Kito, who wants to be just like his dad, the brave lion king of his pride. He wants to do everything his dad does, and tries his hardest to do just that, because one day he'll grow up and be like him. With cute illustrations and an easy to read, engaging text, this book makes the perfect story for any reading time / read out loud for toddler through kindergarten age children. Fans of the Lion King will enjoy this story, as will fans of an ...more
Marcia
Jun 18, 2013 Marcia rated it it was amazing
With warmth and love Papa Lion shares his days and nights with precious little Kito. As the moon appears, Kito learns that papa is the pride’s protector who warns other animals away with his great “ROAAAAAR!” Attempting to imitate his papa, Kito growls his biggest “grooooowl!” and quickly learns he has scared nothing away. But he still feels safe as he sleeps while papa keeps watch. In the heat of the day, Kito watches Papa use his tail to sweep the bothersome flies away. So Kito does the same, ...more
Karen Arendt
May 04, 2013 Karen Arendt rated it really liked it
A lion cub, Kito, hangs out isthmus papa and imitates all that papa does. The pride goes on a hunt to catch a wildebeest and Kito hunts a fly. At the end of the story, papa, who at one point in the story is too busy for Kito, tells Kito to come over and "Help me to be king". A good story to introduce a unit on lions as there is good nonfiction information to be discussed in the story. Also a good story for Father's Day.
Lindsay
Apr 25, 2013 Lindsay rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrations, but the constant reference to the father as "King" got on my feminist nerves, even with the mention that it is the lionesses who hunt. Yes, they're a pride and that is how lions live, but when applied to humans this is a yucky message. Plus, as a co-worker pointed out, male cubs don't kick it with papa lion unless they want to get killed. BUT there is certainly an audience for this book.
Alice
Dec 26, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
The pictures are really good! And it is so cute the Kito wants to be like his Papa. The story is cute, but what I don't like (it has nothing to do with the book) is that the Lioness do the hunting but the Lion gets the first helping of the kill....rude.....Lionesses should rebel! Otherwise a cute little book. Great for Father's Day!
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-Kindergarten
Animal: Lions

Although Buzzeo humanizes the father/child relationship, he adds a considerable amount of nonfiction vocabulary which is unusual for picture books that celebrate dads. I liked it!
Meg McGregor
Nov 22, 2013 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Little ones who enjoy The Lion King will enjoy this story of the King of the Lions, and his son, who will be King one day.

The little prince wants to be just like his father!

Wonderful illustrations and rhythmic text will make this book very popular in your home!
Samantha
A lion cub spends time playing and learning from his papa, the leader of the pride.

Vibrant paintings bring the African savanna to life and gives readers a bird's eye view of day's worth of activities.
Ashley
Nov 13, 2014 Ashley rated it it was ok
Beautiful illustrations and a heart filled sentiment, but the text fell flat in a few too many places for me.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
It is always tough in my mind when you try to make human comparisons using animals. The illustrations are lovely, and the text has a certain repetitiveness that toddler/preschoolers enjoy.
Vivian
Feb 03, 2015 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lots of "Roaring" and "Growling" opportunities for a library pre-school story time are offered in this sneak peak at family life in the pride.
Kendra
Apr 24, 2013 Kendra rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, family
Illustrations are beautiful, but it was a little boring. Maybe a good choice for bedtime. Especially if papa is reading.
Jocelin
May 27, 2013 Jocelin rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
The "Lion King" was better. I know it's no accident that this book was published by Disney Hyperion.
Diana Pettis
Sep 14, 2013 Diana Pettis rated it liked it
Maine author Toni Buzzeo describes the relationship between a father and son in this book. Good read aloud for preschool/kindergarten (in my opinion).
Brandi North
This book is about a lion cub and his father, the lion cub wanting to be just like his father.

This illustrations in this book are wonderful but I wasn't thrilled with the story!
Relyn
Feb 05, 2014 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents and teachers of preschoolers
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at my library
It seems you just can't miss with Toni Buzzeo. This sweet book about a cub who wants to be just like his papa is sure to be a hit with the preschool and kinder set.
hannah
May 21, 2016 hannah added it
Shelves: picture-books, 2016
Disney has Shakespeare and Nathan Lane on its side for this story, but this book is still pretty adorable.
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
May 27, 2014
Kathy E.
Kathy E. rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Elisha Karr
Elisha Karr rated it liked it
May 09, 2013
Hope L. Justice
Hope L. Justice rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Lara
Beautifully illustrated story of a young lion trying to emulate his father. Very sweet...
Maia
Maia rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Logan
Logan rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Jeslyn Zhou
Jeslyn Zhou rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Allison
May 15, 2013 Allison rated it liked it
I'll grow up just like my papa and watch the lionesses hunt too! Really well illustrated, cute.
Jayden Mahoney
Jayden Mahoney rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2016