Start by marking “Just Like My Papa” as Want to Read:
Just Like My Papa

Just Like My Papa

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Kito wants to be just like his papa, the protector of the pride. Throughout a day and night on the savanna, the cub imitates the way his father roars, swings his tail, shakes his head, and pounces. Kito may be too little to catch a wildebeest, but he is brave enough to succeed in his own hunt. Someday he will be King, just like Papa.

With its rhythmic text, dramatic moments
Published April 2nd 2013 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Just Like My Papa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Like My Papa

Marcia
With warmth and love Papa Lion shares his days and nights with precious little Kito. As the moon appears, Kito learns that papa is the pride’s protector who warns other animals away with his great “ROAAAAAR!” Attempting to imitate his papa, Kito growls his biggest “grooooowl!” and quickly learns he has scared nothing away. But he still feels safe as he sleeps while papa keeps watch. In the heat of the day, Kito watches Papa use his tail to sweep the bothersome flies away. So Kito does the same, ...more
Ashley
Beautiful illustrations and a heart filled sentiment, but the text fell flat in a few too many places for me.
Rodolfo
Quite a bit better than the companion book, Stay Close to Mama<./i>.
Peacegal
Will no doubt remind readers of that "other" lion cub who wants to be just like his dad.
Karen Arendt
A lion cub, Kito, hangs out isthmus papa and imitates all that papa does. The pride goes on a hunt to catch a wildebeest and Kito hunts a fly. At the end of the story, papa, who at one point in the story is too busy for Kito, tells Kito to come over and "Help me to be king". A good story to introduce a unit on lions as there is good nonfiction information to be discussed in the story. Also a good story for Father's Day.
Lindsay
Beautiful illustrations, but the constant reference to the father as "King" got on my feminist nerves, even with the mention that it is the lionesses who hunt. Yes, they're a pride and that is how lions live, but when applied to humans this is a yucky message. Plus, as a co-worker pointed out, male cubs don't kick it with papa lion unless they want to get killed. BUT there is certainly an audience for this book.
Alice
The pictures are really good! And it is so cute the Kito wants to be like his Papa. The story is cute, but what I don't like (it has nothing to do with the book) is that the Lioness do the hunting but the Lion gets the first helping of the kill....rude.....Lionesses should rebel! Otherwise a cute little book. Great for Father's Day!
Meg McGregor
Little ones who enjoy The Lion King will enjoy this story of the King of the Lions, and his son, who will be King one day.

The little prince wants to be just like his father!

Wonderful illustrations and rhythmic text will make this book very popular in your home!
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-Kindergarten
Animal: Lions

Although Buzzeo humanizes the father/child relationship, he adds a considerable amount of nonfiction vocabulary which is unusual for picture books that celebrate dads. I liked it!
Samantha
A lion cub spends time playing and learning from his papa, the leader of the pride.

Vibrant paintings bring the African savanna to life and gives readers a bird's eye view of day's worth of activities.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
It is always tough in my mind when you try to make human comparisons using animals. The illustrations are lovely, and the text has a certain repetitiveness that toddler/preschoolers enjoy.
Brandi North
This book is about a lion cub and his father, the lion cub wanting to be just like his father.

This illustrations in this book are wonderful but I wasn't thrilled with the story!
Relyn
Feb 05, 2014 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents and teachers of preschoolers
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at my library
It seems you just can't miss with Toni Buzzeo. This sweet book about a cub who wants to be just like his papa is sure to be a hit with the preschool and kinder set.
Diana Pettis
Maine author Toni Buzzeo describes the relationship between a father and son in this book. Good read aloud for preschool/kindergarten (in my opinion).
Kendra
Illustrations are beautiful, but it was a little boring. Maybe a good choice for bedtime. Especially if papa is reading.
Jocelin
The "Lion King" was better. I know it's no accident that this book was published by Disney Hyperion.
Allison
I'll grow up just like my papa and watch the lionesses hunt too! Really well illustrated, cute.
Jodie
Kito wants to be just like his dad and copies what he does. Cute story that readers will enjoy.
Jen
Luminous oil illustrations in a soft style. I expect a better story from Buzzeo.
Lara
Beautifully illustrated story of a young lion trying to emulate his father. Very sweet...
Penny
I adore the illustrations in this book. The story was wonderful also.
Mary
Beautifully illustrated
Brindi
great illustrations
Lisa Sturgis
Lisa Sturgis marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
One Cool Friend No T. Rex in the Library The Sea Chest Lighthouse Christmas Our Librarian Won't Tell Us Anything!: A Mrs. Skorupski Story [With Book]