Start by marking “Living Religions” as Want to Read:
Living Religions

Living Religions

This exceedingly comprehensible survey of the modern religious world explores the development, doctrines, and practices of today's major faiths. "Living Religions" delves the traditional as well as the new religious movements. Looks at historical and contemporary beliefs, allowing the reader to see how different religions have unfolded throughout time. Contains expanded ...more
Published August 1st 1999 by Prentice Hall (first published December 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Living Religions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Religions

Shélah
Any book on religion that starts by telling the reader that the entire world was united by the events of September 11th is a failure from the get go, and the height of American arrogance.
Katie Daniels
Sep 12, 2016 Katie Daniels rated it really liked it
Pretty much my favorite textbook of all time. Beautifully written, respectful of all faiths, and provides a balanced overview of the history surrounding religious controversy. I love this book so much more than the course it's assigned to. Legitimately useful reading all on its own.
Rhonda Browning White
This is a good primer for various world religions, though further research into many of these, particularly the so-called "New Age" religions is cursory, at best. Still, it provides a good beginning for additional research. Zoroastrianism, which is considered the foundation for many religions, including Christiantiy, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism and others, is hardly touched upon, which I found disappointing. Religions discussed in the most detail were Islam, Christianity and Judaism.

I would have e
Brett Marko
I found the book to be simplistic and written to the lowest common denominator of student. It reminded me of a high school level textbook. It did fairly treat most of the world religions but was a bit suspect with Judaism, Islam and Christianity. It's a survey book and in that purpose was fair in quality in its attempt to introduce world religions. I didn't care for it as an introduction to world religions in a masters level seminary class.
Matthew Jackson
There's obviously a lot of info in this book, which I used as the required (by the university) text for a class on World Religions. It's terribly written, poorly organized, choppy, contained blatant errors, and was a very difficult book to use because of the very sub par quality. I would not recommend it at all.
Tricia
Jun 30, 2013 Tricia rated it really liked it
I was assigned parts of this book for a religious studies course in college. I enjoyed the assigned chapters so much, I went ahead and read the rest of the book. It provides a very informative and unbiased view of world religions.
Dan Glover
Deals with the world's major religions but not from a Christian perspective. Her treatment of Christianity makes one realize that her estimate of world religions is as an outsider to them and not as one who truly grasps their teachings with any depth. Still, it was informative.
Danielle
Apr 27, 2008 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book offers brief introductions to many world religions, but covers them in a broad manner. It is a good book if you want a general idea of what certain religions are, but it doesn't offer an in-depth look.
Kristen
Dec 11, 2014 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This textbook provides a great overview of the main world religions. It's knowledge worth knowing!
Chakara
Apr 21, 2013 Chakara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really enjoyed this textbook each and every chapter helped me learn so much about other religions and religions as a whole.
Chris Jenson
A solid textbook on the World's religion. Mary Pat Fisher brings her unique experience of having traveled all over the world gaining first-hand knowledge of the religious traditions she writes about.
Eve James
Great overview of the history and major elements of the religions around the world. I liked the simplicity of explanations, wish more religions were covered.
Ling Xuan
Jul 21, 2015 Ling Xuan rated it it was amazing
A fabulous anthology of major religions I read for my "World Religions" class! Pretty epic in breath and depth!
Daniel Bates
Apr 14, 2013 Daniel Bates rated it liked it
A overview of most of the world's religions, obviously can't do them all since that would be a tens of volumes.
Samantha
Nov 15, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting textbook to read, I've always found the "differences" between the religions interesting.
Natasha Memon
Natasha Memon rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2016
Shelly
Shelly rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Ellison Darling
Ellison Darling rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2014
Miguel Hurtado
Miguel Hurtado rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Leva Zand
Leva Zand rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2012
cynthia
cynthia rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
idon'tcareizm
idon'tcareizm rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Seth Tomko
Seth Tomko rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Kellie
Kellie rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Heather Leasor
Heather Leasor rated it liked it
May 09, 2014
Brent
Brent rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Edngilley
Edngilley rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Handy Religion Answer Book (The Handy Answer Book Series)
  • The Body of God
  • Suns of God: Krishna, Buddha and Christ Unveiled
  • The Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ
  • A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew Revised Edition
  • Why Have Children?: The Ethical Debate
Mary Pat Fisher is an author, her books include the inspirational book Heart of Gold: The Light Within Life and Living religions : an encyclopedia of the world's faiths. Fisher lives in the Gobind Sadan a interfaith community in India, founded by Baba Virsa Singh.
More about Mary Pat Fisher...