Start by marking “The Mythology of Cats: Feline Legend and Lore Through the Ages” as Want to Read:
The Mythology of Cats: Feline Legend and Lore Through the Ages

The Mythology of Cats: Feline Legend and Lore Through the Ages

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The authors of The Mythology of Dogs, Gerald and Loretta Hausman, have been researching and writing about cat mythology for decades. In this cat-ivating collection of over fifty tales, they celebrate the spiritual and mythological magic of our feline friends.Meet...
-- The cat who consoled Jack Kerouac -- The cat who named the country of Scotland -- The cat who worked as a
Hardcover
Published August 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mythology of Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mythology of Cats

Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs
Oh boy, I get to be snarky.

The authors apparently tried to be somewhere between a scholarly work and a collection of stories about cats – and in doing so failed at both miserably! They interrupt the stories with insertions of their observations and insight, killing the flow of the stories with some really pointless commentary.

They divide the book into chapters, each based around an archetype story-type (Cat as deity, trickster, guardian, lucky) which is a pretty good concept. My problem with it
It had it's interesting points and I did make it to the end but I found it to be quite choppy and all over the place which made it hard to follow at times. I don't think I'd recommend it really there are better books on the subject out there.
Adriane
So I liked this book, but it didn't feed my need for information as much as I hoped it would. It certainly gave me a hunger to read the books it quotes and references but I didn't get as much substance as I would have hoped from it.

Thanks why it's 3 stars, it was good for what it was, but it felt like a book report essay for most of it and left me hungry for other books instead of full of knowledge as I like to be after reading this type of book.

The illustrations are cute, and I think this is
William Dickerson
This is an interesting collection of stories, history, and myths about cats throughout history. Check it out if you are into cats.

www.lockheed40books.com
Antonio Aristóteles
Antonio Aristóteles marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Vcross90yahoo.com
Vcross90yahoo.com marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Mira Mara
Mira Mara marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Rebecca Huston
Rebecca Huston marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Kimberly Tsan
Kimberly Tsan marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Michelle Lise
Michelle Lise marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Andre Lang
Andre Lang marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Ticyana Banzato
Ticyana Banzato marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Cristiana Chila
Cristiana Chila marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Priscila Kubo
Priscila Kubo marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Patti
Patti added it
Sep 01, 2013
The Otter, the Spotted Frog & the Great Flood: A Creek Indian Story Escape From Botany Bay Napoleon & Josephine: The Sword And The Hummingbird Cats of Myth: Tales from Around the World The Mythology of Horses: Horse Legend and Lore Throughout the Ages