Start by marking “The Easter Egg Artists” as Want to Read:
The Easter Egg Artists

The Easter Egg Artists

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  148 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Orson Abbott is a rabbit. His parents decorate Easter eggs. When the Abbotts go on vacation, they have lots of adventures. Orson likes decorating, but not as much as he likes to play. When a family wants their house decorated, Orson gets to do the high parts.

A pilot wants his plane to have designs, and Orson gets a free ride!

When the townspeople ask the Abbotts to paint th
Published February 28th 1991 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published March 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Easter Egg Artists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Easter Egg Artists

Kathryn
Apr 09, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Lovely, nostalgic illustrations and a fun story about a family of bunnies working together to paint Easter eggs (among other things) and a young bunny discovering his artistic talents and interests. I love the "family vibe" of this story and how much faith mother and father bunny have in their son and his ability to choose the right path for himself. A wonderful choice for Easter!
Melki
Mar 27, 2016 Melki rated it it was amazing
Aaaa! Too marvelous for words! These bunnies decorate EVERYTHING!

Just look at their car!

description

Aaaa!

I love this book!
Lisa Vegan
Apr 27, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers looking for a charming, secular Easter story
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
Wonderful illustrations! Charming story about a family of artists, who paint Easter eggs, their car, and a bunch of other things, some on commission, and they happen to be bunnies who live in a community of bunnies. What makes the story special is the development of young Orson, from a typical youngster with a short attention span to a passionate artist who becomes the star of his little family, and a child who finds his passion, which happens to be the family business of beautiful and creative ...more
Mar 25, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is a book from my childhood, so of course it's extra special. It's the story of a family of rabbits who have the fun job of painting Easter eggs. This year, their son will help them, but he doesn't show much interest in the task. But when they go on vacation and begin to get offers to paint other things (like a house, a plane, a bridge) he really gets into it! When they get home to start the task of painting the Easter eggs, they wonder if their son will be up for the challenge. Turns out h ...more
Fjóla
This story of anthropomorphic rabbits doesn't totally make sense but the pictures are quite cute. I found that little things bothered me somewhat, such as them visibly not wearing seat belts as the go on a trip, even though the dad says "Fasten your seat belt" to his son. Also, him nonchalantly painting from the house's roof without any protection, or hopping on top of the well in the dark, etc ... but I don't know why I should be getting upset about that, they're rabbits after all.
Judy
Mar 25, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
Who knew that a family of rabbits - the Abbotts - were Easter egg artists? And that they had a lovely studio in which to work? Surprisingly, this couple had only one son, Orson, a pre-adolescent. The parents wonder if he'll ever settle down and learn to paint. Here we have a coming-of-age tale of a budding artist.

One double-page spread shows the three Abbotts, each carrying a flashlight, out at night hiding the eggs. That's unique.
Hhamby1
Apr 07, 2016 Hhamby1 added it
Shelves: fantasy
The story takes place in a world full of bunnies that are good at painting. The bunnies started painting eggs. They painted a lot of eggs so they needed something to do with them so they had the first ever Easter Egg hunt. You could use this story to teach students about Easter.
The Brothers
Jan 26, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
A mother and father bunny are in charge of painting Easter eggs. They worry that their son will not be able to do the hard work of the job. So before the Easter egg rush, they go off together on a trip. Along the way, their son proves his mettle and shows himself to be a promising Easter egg artist.

Lovely illustrations.
Eric Shea
This book is good for children. Its about Rabbits painting the town in an Easter egg fashion. The town people do not really like it, so they let it be known. This teaches children to be mindful of others.
Matthew S. Zielinski
Apr 02, 2015 Matthew S. Zielinski rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-boys
After reading this book, Jacob said, "This is a nice little book daddy." Jacob loves the pretty pictures and the story of a little bunny rabbit that learns to love to be an artist.
Ashlin
Apr 22, 2016 Ashlin added it
Shelves: fantasy
This would be a great story to read around Easter time. Students could pretend they were the rabbits in the story and decorate their own paper eggs as an art activity.
KPod
Apr 07, 2015 KPod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lauren got this book out of the library and we really enjoyed it. We liked the illustrations the best.
Danielle
Mar 11, 2016 Danielle added it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely artwork. The entrepreneurial spirit of the parents felt almost contemporary.
Jessica
Apr 20, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This has been my favorite Easter book since I was a small child! Love the art!!!
Bree
Notes:
the kids always laugh when Orson is up the flagpole at the end
cute story with pretty art
Mrs. Schera
Jan 15, 2013 Mrs. Schera rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations were nice. The plot was so so. It seems like the little rabbit, Orson, is going to go off and do his own thing, but he becomes an artist like his parents, except he paints many things besides (but including) Easter eggs. Probably should weed this book from the library once I have a few more Easter books.
Dolly
Apr 02, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, easter, art
This is a nice story about a family of bunnies who paint easter eggs in season and travel south at other times, painting portraits on the beach or houses, planes, bridges, etc. Their son wants to join in, but is he mature enough? The illustrations are fun and colorful and the story is a sweet one about growing up.
kelly
Apr 09, 2009 kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: young-at-heart
I loved the illustrations. Detailed just enough, and colorful in an earthly calm sort of way. I like that the family is a family of artists and I love that the young rabbits play on stilts for fun
T Crockett
Feb 03, 2016 T Crockett rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I vaguely remember the pictures from when I was a kid. The story was not the typical cutesy Easter bunny story, so as an adult I still enjoyed it (the 4 year old did too)
Marie Flanigan
May 26, 2009 Marie Flanigan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a lovely book about families and doing what you love. A great easter read, but really great for any time of year.
Wilder
May 01, 2010 Wilder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I loved this book as a child and was very pleased to rediscover it for my own daughter. Lovely pictures and lifestyle choices.
Maren Prestegaard
Feb 17, 2013 Maren Prestegaard rated it it was amazing
This is one of the few books I have left over from my childhood. The illustrations are gorgeous. A Rodell classic.
Aug 04, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Whimsical and fun. This story always made me long for at least an ounce of artistic ability. Still waiting...
Susan
Mar 22, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet pictures. Nice message - when you are doing what you love, it doesn't feel like work.
Caryn
Mar 21, 2013 Caryn rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book by the lovely illustrator, Adrienne Adams. Stunning work and a delight to read.
Anj
May 11, 2011 Anj rated it it was amazing
One of my husband's favorites from his childhood. Our 3 year old adored it as well.
Kari
Apr 12, 2010 Kari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, holiday
Writing has a bit of a disjointed feel, but we enjoyed the story and illustrations.
Shannon
Feb 09, 2011 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: 1989
"Shannon 1989." Don't really remember this book, but the illustrations are very sweet.
Katharine
May 02, 2013 Katharine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-kids
One of my favorite books...one of the first I remember.
Andrea Wilkinson
Jul 10, 2013 Andrea Wilkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Beautiful illustrations--I enjoyed this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Real Easter Eggs
  • Dog Loves Drawing
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • Leonardo and the Flying Boy
  • Ollie's Easter Eggs (Gossie and Friends)
  • Happy Easter, Curious George
  • Humbug Witch
  • The Amazing Christmas Extravaganza (Bookshelf)
  • The Magic Rabbit
  • A Plump And Perky Turkey
  • Bridget's Beret
  • Virginia Wolf
Adrienne Adams (February 10, 1906 - December 3, 2002) was a children's book illustrator. She won two Caldecott Honors (in 1960 and 1962) and in 1973 she was awarded the Rutgers Award for overall contributions to children’s literature. In 1977, she won a University of Southern Mississippi Medallion.

She was born in Fort Smith, Arkansas and grew up in Oklahoma She obtained a BA at Stephens College (w
More about Adrienne Adams...