Start by marking “Warrior Scarlet” as Want to Read:
Warrior Scarlet

Warrior Scarlet

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In Bronze Age Britain, young Drem must overcome his disability-a withered arm-if he is to prove his manhood and become a warrior.
Published December 31st 1994 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Warrior Scarlet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warrior Scarlet

Mark Adderley
This is the story of Drem, a boy of the Bronze Age, who wishes to take his Warrior Scarlet, the kilt that signifies that he is a full, adult member of the Tribe. Alas, he has a withered right arm, so the oddas are against him.

Warrior Scarlet is, like most of Rosemary Stucliff's books, beautifully written, particularly the descriptive passages that describe seasonal activities as the year wears on. Like always, when reading one of Sutcliff's books, I feel not only that I've been entertained by a...more
Dorothea
I found the setting to be a difficulty with this book. It's set around 900 BCE, during the Bronze Age in Britain. I know almost nothing about this period, as with many of the periods Sutcliff wrote about, but Sutcliff herself knew less about this one too, because (I believe) there isn't any written record of the Bronze Age people, only information from archaeology. My impression is that Sutcliff learned about the artefacts attributed to these people, and then made up a culture around them, from...more
Sineala
I know everyone likes this one a lot... but I couldn't really get into it.

This is the tale of Drem, a boy in a Bronze Age British tribe, and his journey into manhood in a culture that expects him to singlehandedly kill a wolf -- the problem in Drem's case is that he literally has a single usable hand to work with.

The novel as a whole has beautiful, lush description -- just the sort of thing Sutcliff's books are good at -- and some dramatic action and numinous rituals and same-sex friendship and...more
SA
Jun 22, 2011 SA rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
This is what I think of when I think of Sutcliff--epic transformative storytelling set in the past with great historicism and insight. She makes fascinating investigations into what life may have been like during the Bronze Age at the cusp of the Iron Age, while still grounding the reader in a very human tale of perseverance. Wonderful.
Jeremy Hickerson
I recently re-read this for about the fourth time, but the last time I read it was probably thirty years ago. This is a mid-grade to young adult book, but obviously has something for adults too.

Warrior Scarlet is the story of a boy, Drem, growing up in bronze-age Britain. Drem has a paralyzed arm and this is really a problem in a society where a man has to be a hunter and a fighter. A boy must kill a wolf to become a man.

I had forgotten or maybe not noticed how poetic Sutcliff's writing is. And...more
Rebecca Radnor
Unlike most of Sutcliff's other works, this one is of bronze age Britain long before the first coming of the Romans. The only 'historical' thing is the initial introduction of iron to the tribe via a trader, otherwise, it is about what it was like to live at that time. The story is of a handicapped boy, who is one of the 'golden people' -- a Celt, born with one useless arm, who as is the tradition of his tribe, must single handedly kill a wolf. If he fails, he will either die in the effort, or b...more
Isis
I can see in Bronze Age Drem, and his people, bits and pieces of many of Sutcliff's other stories: the death of the old King and the making of the new (and a version of the Wolf-Slaying) is in Frontier Wolf; the New Spear ritual is in Eagle of the Ninth; there are cultural elements I recognize from Mark of the Horse Lord, too. This makes it a more familiar book, despite being set long before the others.

What I like about Sutcliff's work is that she does not shy away from having really bad things...more
Alison
Rosemary Sutcliff is probably best known for her historical novels for children about Roman Britain, but this novel about Drem, a Bronze age boy living with his tribe on the South Downs, was one of my favourites as a child.

The novel opens with 9 year old Drem talking with Doli, one of the Little Dark People who live on the hills with their sheep. Drem tells Doli that he intends to become a warrior and to wear the Warrior Scarlet that the rest of his tribe do. However, on returning home, he hears...more
John
Jul 30, 2007 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
When young I read several of Sutcliff's excellent "juvenile"
historical novels set in early Britain, but I missed this one till now. Most of hers I read are in Roman or post-Roman Britain, but this is early bronze age, so the society is much
more speculative. I suspect an expert in the era would find some of the reconstruction outdated, but it seems vividly real as she describes it. In her version, the young men of the tribe must each kill a wolf single-handed, a problem for
the hero Drem since he...more
ci chong
this is a beautiful book of coming of age and social outcasts. whether you like Drem or not,you'll be glad when he finally manages to find his place in his community despite being a cripple.this was my first sutcliffe-- I didn't like it as much when I first read it, as I didn't really like Drem-- he's a very natural boy, somewhat bitter and even cruel sometimes as result of the stigma of lacking a sword arm, and the harsh treatment as result from the Grandfather, his brother, men and other boys...more
Megan
When Drem is nine he has a sudden, life-changing realization. The arm that has been crippled since birth may deny him a place in his Bronze Age tribe. Determined to fight for his place in order to win it, Drem gains allies among his peers and the tribal leaders by means of his charismatic and indomitable will. When pure chance topples the world he has built for himself, Drem must leam that will-power cannot overcome all obstacles. Arrogance and humility, isolation and inclusion, enmity and chari...more
Kristen Smith
Drem, a boy with one arm living in the Bronze Age--an age of heroes, must overcome his seemingly overwhelming odds in order to become a full-fledged member of his clan. If he cannot succeed, then he will become an outcast. Sutcliff paints Drem's sufferings in a realistic and poignant manner. I recommend this book for ages 10 and up--it is the Bronze Age afterall. Some of the parts will bring (most certainly an older reader) to tears. Historical fiction. 900 BC in Britain. Just an excellent read.
Nadine Jones
Jan 23, 2011 Nadine Jones marked it as to-read
Shelves: children-s
One of the books listed in "1001 Children's Books" (in 8+ - though it seems this one would be better in 12+)

I DEVOURED Sutcliff's books as a girl, but somehow I missed this one. (Although, when I read the description it does sound familiar ...) Sutcliff's The Mark of the Horse Lord still stands as one of my all-time favorite books, ever.
Steve M
Dated in many ways but her language still evokes a strong sense of place.
Michael
The book that introduced me to my favorite author when I was a child. Read it when I was 7, and still have fond memories of it today.
Gloria
Aug 11, 2008 Gloria rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gloria by: Elizabeth
I think 3 stars, because I found it took me a long time to get into the book. Once I finally was engaged, I do think it is one of Sutcliff's richest books, rich with details and information. Maybe because it is a time period that is not as familiar to many that she layered so much into it....?

Micah
Inspirational. Amazing historical fiction story. It takes a few chapters to get used to the old English language style, but doesn't detract once you get settled in. Great book for readers starting in the early teens, but isn't limited to that age group. This could possibly be my favorite book ever.
Abigail Hartman
Not my favorite of Sutcliff's books - it doesn't have the gripping, memorable characters that most of her other works boast - but still an enjoyable story for younger readers.
Microchiroptera
The very real subtlety of the little interactions and moments, made this so alive to me, I could feel their different and fluctuating shades of feelings..
Jeremy Leung
it sucks
There is so many words on one page, it is very small that i can barely read it………… so smallllllllll…

Elizabeth
Bronze age British History. Also deals with prejudice. A lovely book, as are all of Sutcliff's novels.
Nikki
I can never remember the end of this -- it's the beginning that stuck with me. Lovely and detailed.
Gayelene
My next favourite childhood book after The Hobbit.Brings the Bronze Age to life.
Ruth
Dit is een van de boeken die ik als kind meerdere keren gelezen heb.
Rachel
It could be five stars but for the disturbing pagan religious parts.
Gwen Burrow
I have only dim memories of this book.
Ernest Marlin
  • The Shrinking of Treehorn
  • The Haunting
  • The Naming of Tishkin Silk
  • A Traveller In Time
  • Quirky Tails (Uncollected)
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • The Little Book Room
  • 45 + 47 Stella Street And Everything That Happened (Stella Street, #1)
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Bill's New Frock
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
  • Tashi (Tashi, #1)
  • Amazon Adventure
  • The Ghost of Thomas Kempe
Rosemary Sutcliff was a British novelist, best known as a writer of highly acclaimed historical fiction. Although primarily a children's author, the quality and depth of her writing also appeals to adults, she herself once commenting that she wrote "for children of all ages from nine to ninety."

Born in West Clandon, Surrey, Sutcliff spent her early youth in Malta and other naval bases where her fa...more
More about Rosemary Sutcliff...
The Eagle Of The Ninth The Lantern Bearers Black Ships Before Troy The Silver Branch Sword at Sunset