Start by marking “Reise um die Erde in achtzig Tagen” as Want to Read:
Reise um die Erde in achtzig Tagen

Read Book* *Different edition

Reise um die Erde in achtzig Tagen (Extraordinary Voyages #11)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  135,389 Ratings  ·  4,032 Reviews
‘To go around the world...in such a short time and with the means of transport currently available, was not only impossible, it was madness’

One ill-fated evening at the Reform Club, Phileas Fogg rashly bets his companions £20,000 that he can travel around the entire globe in just eighty days—and he is determined not to lose. Breaking the well-established routine of his d
Published (first published 1873)

To ask other readers questions about Reise um die Erde in achtzig Tagen, please sign up.

Sashia You can start with any one you want and it won't make a difference to your reading. I didn't even know they were considered a series.
Marinos 1873. You could also google it or, you know, read the description.

James Lafayette  Tivendale
"Truly, would you not for less than that make a tour around the world?"

This is the second Verne book I have devoured in two days which have both been accredited five stars. I could end the review at that and I would be content!

Similar to The Journey to the Centre of the Earth which I read yesterday - Verne creates amazingly awesome and complex characters. The main protagonist Mr. Fogg is an obsessive-compulsive routine loving timekeeper who bets his chums at the club that he can travel around th
Fabian
Jun 24, 2009 Fabian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well... So I saved a book's life. About to be tossed away, being a garage sale pariah, I not only took it home; I READ it. Aglow with endearing cliches, this is the source of plenty of adventure stories, many of which are films, comics, etc.

Verne's imagination is grand & the plot is silly and almost kid-like. But absurd it ain't. It is fun exactly because there is a topsy turvy madness to visiting places just to prove a point. It is fun because it is rife with interesting observations, fact
Lyn
Sep 13, 2013 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Around the World in Eighty Days was first published by Jules Verne in 1873, and was introduced to an adoring public as monthly installments.

Each chapter is thus seen as connected but with its own hooks and cliffhangers. The character of Phileas Fogg has become a stoic archetype for too cool operators in books to come in several genres.

This is fast moving and fun, still a good read over a hundred years later. One very interesting aspect of the narrative was the portrait of the American west in
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
1 I-hated-it-32-years-ago-and-still-hate-it star.

photo tumblr_inline_n9rbi1iLIR1qb3wyg_zpswi1fun8d.gif

photo tumblr_n5s7wb14Sp1rks5xoo1_500_zpsd6971541.gif

A couple days ago my son and I were talking about boring classroom reading material. This reminded me that I never rated this glorious piece of classic literature. How anyone would insist that students had to mandatorily read it in the 80s is beyond me, let alone in the 21st century. A couple years ago, when my son came home with that little paperback edition and whined about how incredibly uninteresting this "gem" is, I calmed him down by saying
Charity
May 21, 2008 Charity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love grand adventures
Shelves: 1001books
I finished Around the World in 80 Days today and it was even better than I remembered from my childhood. Admittedly, the version I had read as a child was the Great Illustrated Classics edition that was, unfortunately, abridged. I felt that a reading of the unabridged classic was long overdue. Shockingly enough, I still remembered the ending 20 years later.

Just the task Phileas Fogg faces in traveling the world in 80 days (in the 19th century) and the obstacles that pop up to delay his travels w
Moraes the Bookworm
Traveling around the world has become a quite common theme nowadays. Everyone dreams about visiting other places, going into an exchange program trip, absorbing another place's culture; human access to world's most different places is possible and, sometimes, even encouraged. Even though we no longer need 80 days to go around the globe, Jules Verne managed to make a lasting story that is still highly enjoyable.

Around the World in Eighty Days is one of the most entertaining books I read last year
David Sasaki
Jan 11, 2009 David Sasaki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Whether or not you've read the novel or watched the movie, Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days is so embedded in Western culture that just about everyone knows the basic plot premise: wealthy and reticent Englishman Phileas Fogg makes gentlemanly bet with his chums that he can travel around the world in 80 days and then sets off with his temperamental French servant to do just that.

The idea for the story came from the actual journey of eccentric Bostonian George Francis Train. (Who liked
Mark
May 29, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really neat story. It was a fun view into life about a century ago.

My only nit with it was with the particular audio book I heard: an annoying afterward that publisher felt he had to append. In it, he explained to us how Mr. Verne's views of other cultures are simply not acceptable to modern people such as ourselves, and although he has transgressed and used stereotypes of different cultures the book still has some value.

I found it unfair and unnecessary. Verne's depiction of different cultures
Jason Koivu
Ah ha! So that's the reason for it being specifically 80 days! (view spoiler)
Archit Ojha
Mar 24, 2016 Archit Ojha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-own

Man! The best adventure work till date!

RTC.
Apatt
Aug 21, 2015 Apatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like five days for me really, though even that is too long for a 250 pages book. Well, it’s an audiobook and I only listened to it while commuting to work.

Yes, that is a silly intro but what I meant is that while listening to the book I often felt transported along with Phileas Fogg and crew. This is my first Jules Verne book, normally I prefer to read books in the original language they are written in because with translated books there is always an added layer between the translator and t
Miquel Reina
I'm a big fan of adventure and travel novels, so I couldn't stop recommending this wonderful and famous book by Jules Verne. After reading it, I'm sure you will want to make a great trip and took a year off to follow in the footsteps of Phileas Fogg! ;)

Spanish version:
Soy un gran fan de las novelas de aventuras y viajes, así que no podría dejar de recomendar este maravilloso libro de Julio Verne. Después de leerlo seguro que os entran una ganas enormes de hacer un gran viaje o tomaron un año sa
Kathryn
Feb 20, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: I "read" the audiobook version of this, narrated by the fabulous Jim Dale. I think this definitely added interest to the story, which did begin a bit dull, but ended splendidly! Dale is REMARKABLE at the characterization and voices and I think this tale is especially well suited to being read aloud by someone who can do all the accents! ;-> This version also sometimes plays music in the background, suited to the setting/culture and that was a nice touch and helped set the right tone.

4.5
Meli
May 22, 2013 Meli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una aventura con todas las de ley.
Me pasé toda la lectura del libro soñando despierta, calculando cuánto llevaría hacer ese recorrido en la actualidad, con los transportes modernos y cuántos días de margen daría eso para que, visitando brevemente cada lugar (tampoco si das la vuelta al mundo da ir de tren en tren y de barco en barco, como en el libro)el viaje no se pase de los 80 días.

Mientras soñar sea gratis y el futuro incierto, capaz algún día quién dice. Como encantarme, ¡me encantaría!
Asmaa
Mar 26, 2011 Asmaa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أعجبتنى كثيرا شخصية مستر فوج وكذلك خادمه باسبارتو ودفاعه عن سيده فى جميع المواقف .....وما أعجبنى اكثر هو نهاية الرحلة فهو فى خلال رحلته حول العالم لم يكسب أى شىء ماعدا زوجة جميلة محبة جعلت منه أسعد رجل بين الرجال ....ألا يستحق ذلك منه رحلة حول العالم ....؟؟
Jamie Collins
Nov 17, 2008 Jamie Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, victorian
This was fun to read out loud. The phrasing was strange sometimes, possibly due to this being a translated work, but I thought it only contributed to the book's charm. My older son particularly enjoyed Passepartout's character. We discussed suttee, opium dens, Mormons, and extradition laws, among other things.

I confess to being a little disappointed that Fogg's success was mostly due to his wealth. He essentially bribes his way around the world; a poor man couldn't have made it.
David Sarkies
Aug 17, 2016 David Sarkies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
The Shrinking World
26 August 2016 - Rouen

I just noticed a little oddity with Goodreads in France: they used 'et' instead of 'and' when it tells you that people have liked a review. Mind you, they still use the work 'like' and opposed to 'aimer', which is a little disappointing, though apparently the word like, when used in the context of liking something on Social Media, has been taken onboard by numerous languages as apparently the Germans do something similar. I guess this is further evidence
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*

V, is for Verne

3 Stars

A true Englishman doesn't joke when he is talking about so serious a thing as a wager.

Around the World in 80 Days is a slim little adventurous classic that seems to be telling us so much more than the actual text would suggest. It’s heavily scientific jargon can be a bit much at times, and the adventure itself is interesting more than exciting.

The motley cast of characters - a staid Englishman, an excitable French servant, an American cop and an Indian maiden – have such d
Ernest Junius
Dec 27, 2009 Ernest Junius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventurous gentlemen
Recommended to Ernest by: girlfriend
Definitely classic! My girlfriend bought me this book about two years ago, considering my fondness of adventure story. I wasn't really have a chance to read it at that time, thus I had just recently read it a few days ago–and to my surprise I did "round the world" in merely less than three days.

The story sets itself in the middle of 19th century, in the very capital of England, London, where Phileas Fogg and his loyal French servant Passepartout set off on a race to round the world in eighty day
Ahmed
Apr 14, 2016 Ahmed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
مغامرة ممتعة للغاية
نتيجة رهان طائش من شخص رزين للغاية !!
حقيقة لم أفهم لم كانت شخصية مستر فوج بهذا البرود المبالغ فيه
ربما كانت سخرية مستترة من الإنجليز .. ربما
أعجبني إخلاص باسبارتو لسيده

الرواية إختتمت بهذا الإقتباس :

وماذا كسب "فيلياس فوج" من هذه الرحلة ؟
قد تقول :
- لا شئ .
حسن جداً، لا شئ، ما عدا زوجة جميلة محبَّة جعلت منه أسعد رجل بين الرجال .
ألا يستحق ذلك رحلة حول العالم .. ؟!

أنا شخصيا لو لفيت الدنيا كلها وكسبت زوجه مخلصة تجعلنى أسعد رجل .. فهذا يكفي جدا
Katerina
Nov 17, 2015 Katerina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Jan 25, 2016 R * A Reader Obsessed * rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-m-m
Chosen for the specific challenge of reading a "book that's at least 100 years older than you", this surprised me in a good way.

Part history lesson, part geography lesson - I enjoyed following the prim and proper Phileas Fogg, as he traipses across the globe to win an impossible gentlemen's wager. Add in a dogged detective determined to get his man by any means possible and a loyal, overzealous manservant, and you've got quite the zany adventure. Though they face obstacle after obstacle in the s
أَحْمَد
لقد فاز فيلياس فوج بالرهان , وقام بجولة رائعة حول العالم , فقد ركب الفيل , واشترى قارباً , واستقل العديد من القطارات وابحر على متن العديد من البواخر , وحظى بمغامرة رائعة ,
فماذا رابح مقابل عنائه ؟
حسناً . لقد فاز بإمرأة رائعة جعلته يشعر بسعادة غامرة فى حياته , أو ليس ذلك كافياً لأى رجل صالح .

؟

وهو من بطولة
Jackie Chan, Steve Coogan, Jim Broadbent
ا
Coos Burton
El agradecimiento va al Doc Emmett Brown, porque indudablemente hizo que me pique el bicho de la curiosidad en cuanto a Jules Verne, y tras meditarlo un rato me di cuenta de que no recuerdo haber leído algo suyo. Bueno, siempre hay una primera vez, y la verdad es que en conclusión si me gustó mucho el libro. No es el tipo de género que suelo leer, pero me agradó poder variar un poco y conocer a otro autor, y la historia en sí es muy entretenida. Sin duda un clásico que no podía no leer.
Jessica
Jul 17, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great classic! Fun, adventurous, chivalrous, and witty! A definite must-read. :)
Jess
Sep 13, 2009 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair travelers, people who miss the days the sun didn't set on the british empire, Verne fans
Recommended to Jess by: Falls into the ought-to read catalogy
Shelves: z_09, classic
While playing cards, a rich Englishman takes a bet, insisting it is possible to circle the globe in 80 days. And away he goes...

This is one of those books where I like the idea behind it more than the actual text. A race around the world with a deadline of 80 days? That sounds like fun.

As a British armchair traveler in 1872, I would have adored this. As Jess in 2009, it drags a bit. I simply don't care for long multi-paragraph descriptions of places. Frankly, I was a bit surprised to see all th
lanalang
Dec 01, 2014 lanalang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Letto la prima volta da ragazzina, la bellezza di trentacinque anni fa. E anche oggi come allora, mi è sembrato di viaggiare insieme ai protagonisti, mi sono divertita da matti e mi sono ritrovata a seguirne tutto il percorso sulle cartine geografiche dell'atlante.
E pur conoscendone il finale, oggi, come allora, mi sono ritrovata a leggere le ultime pagine con vera trepidazione.

La quinta stellina ha di certo un valore tutto sentimentale che proprio non posso non considerare :))
Brandi
A cute story. I liked Passepartout the most of all the characters. But poor guy, he couldn't catch a break.

When reading this, you have to keep in mind that it was written in a different time period. It's riddled with ethnic stereotypes that were commonplace back then.
Ahmad Sharabiani
848. Around The World in Eighty Days (Extraordinary Voyages #11), Jules Verne
دور دنیا در هشتاد روز - ژول ورن (دنیای کتاب) ادبیات
Marvin
May 01, 2011 Marvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jules Verne was my first love in literature. I ended up reading most of his books in elementary school, then moved on to H. G. Wells. Verne's novels were my introduction in adventure writing and science fiction. While Verne and H.G. Wells are both batted around as the father of science fiction, I see Verne as more of a fantasy adventure writer. I think his reputation for predicting the future tends to be exaggerated as most of the ideas like submarines and rockets were already in the 19th centur ...more
Play Book Tag: Around the World in Eighty Days - 4 Stars 1 11 Jan 17, 2017 09:29AM
Goodreads Librari...: please insert special characters into title / take 19 3 187 Nov 20, 2016 05:34AM
Around the Year i...: Around the World in 80 Days, by Jules Verne 5 43 Oct 16, 2016 03:05PM
Old Books, New Re...: 2014 April Book- Around the World in Eighty days 13 69 Aug 15, 2016 05:29PM
Old Books, New Re...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Around the World in 80 Days 12 62 May 11, 2016 12:23PM
book update 1 14 May 06, 2016 05:06AM
book update 2 13 Apr 28, 2016 06:00PM
  • Twenty Years After (The D'Artagnan Romances, #2)
  • Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1)
  • The Talisman
  • Sandokan: The Pirates of Malaysia
  • Castle Richmond
  • Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ
  • Gautier Récits Fantastiques
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • Winnetou III: Winnetou Gugur
  • La Bête Humaine
  • The Prince and the Pauper
  • King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1)
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 68 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City (Extraordinary Voyages #8)
  • The Blockade Runners (Extraordinary Voyages #8*)
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa (Extraordinary Voyages, #9)

“Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real.” 1663 likes
“The chance which now seems lost may present itself at the last moment.” 108 likes