The Dog Who Rescues Cats: True Story of Ginny

The Dog Who Rescues Cats: True Story of Ginny

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  614 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Philip Gonzalez had lost all interest in living after an industrial accident left him disabled. A friend suggested he adopt a dog.Reluctantly he went to the shelter, where Ginny, a badly abused one-year-old pup,quickly won him over. Philip realized immediately that Ginny was no ordinary dog--she had an amazing sixth sense that enabled her to find and rescue stray and ailin...more
Published September 13th 1996 by Harper Perennial (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Who Rescues Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Who Rescues Cats

Until Tuesday by Luis Carlos MontalvánA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronDewey by Vicki MyronOogy by Larry LevinMarley & Me by John Grogan
Non-Fiction Animal Heroes
17th out of 68 books — 135 voters
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinMarley and Me by John GroganA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
107th out of 609 books — 1,214 voters

More lists with this book...

Cathy
Nov 25, 2011 Cathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: cats, dogs
For anyone that thinks dogs can't love cats. Truly a heartwarming story. I throughly enjoyed this book!Ginny is a dog that is adopted by Philip Gonzalez after he had lost interest in living after an accident. Ginny has an amazing sixth sense that enabled her to find and rescue stray and ailing cats. Join Ginny and Philip on their adventures rescuing cats and learning what living and life really are!
Daniela
Summary: Ginny, a scruffy mixed breed terrier, not only insists on saving stray cats, but helps her owner Philip Gonzalez overcome his depression and find new meaning in life.

Review: Highly poignant and touching. I picked this one up on impulse sheerly for my love of cats, but you don't have to like cats to be touched by the compassion and spirit of Ginny. It's a classic story of love, friendship and hope, told through the true-life antics of a dog commited to helping her animal friends in need...more
Cherie
I guarantee you will fall in love with this kind-hearted little dog who helped those in need. Highly recommended; quick read.
Samir Dhond
I read this book long ago. It was recommended by a friend of mine. I love animals and thus, I land up reading many books like these. This is a true story of a Army man and his dog. It's fascinating and heart warming as well. Please do read this book.
MommaLaura
How I loved this story! Read it with the whole family. Made us laugh, made us cry. Anyone who loves animals would love this book. Beautiful stories about overcoming adversity for both humans and animals.
Julia Brumfield
This was one book that my sister mentioned to me that she was going to get then changed her mind for something else. I had heard a similar story on Animal Planet but it wasn't the same dog so I was really excited and interested to have this book so when my sister offered to get me a book I asked her to purchase this one as she had previously planned.

This book has met a lot of my expectations while it was really sweet. The black and white pictures showed this wasn't just a dog who barked the ta...more
Kirsti
What an inspiring book! I loved Ginny, and I loved Philip's transformation because of this beautiful little dog. I was instantly drawn in by the introduction by Cleveland Amory, and author I've enjoyed reading in the past. Ginny's enchanting little face stares up at you from the cover, and it's not hard to see why Philip loved this dog. If you love animals without discrimination, then you will love this book. I know I sure did! Going straight into my favorite books of all time :)
Christine
A heartwarming true story of a man injured in an industrial accident who adopts a dog and together they go on to save many cats, many of which are disabled. This was an enjoyable uplifting story that I couldn't put down (as I knew it would be since I read the second book already.) I One thing that bothered me...a lady that the author fed strays with. She had 120 cats...can anyone say animal hoarder?
Kristin
This is definitely a quick read and enjoyable for both dog and cat lovers. Gonzalez tells the story of his dog, Ginny, who has an uncanny talent for picking out homeless cats with special needs. Injured in an industrial accident, Gonzalez himself is disabled, but when a friend insisted that the way to break out of his post-injury depression was to adopt a dog, he reluctantly accompanied her to the animal shelter where Ginny picked him out. While out for a walk early in her life with Gonzalez, Gi...more
Cheryl
Philip Gonzalez was wounded in Vietnam. He fell into a state of depression, but took the advice of friends and adopted a dog. His dog, a scruffy little female, began to alert him to the plight of cats who were disabled or in danger. Together they have rescued many cats. This is a heartwarming tale of love and compassion.
Kellie Luley
Philip and Ginny are just amazing! The book is a quick and easy read. However, it is still filled with inspiration, joy, sadness, and hopefulness. I recommend all animal lovers to read this book. Animals really can change people's lives!!
Dave
This book is unforgettable. I don't really like dogs but I do like cats and what this Brooklyn dog was able to do for cats in trouble is amazing and claimed to be true. My aunt in Brooklyn told me to read this many years ago.
Graceann
Nov 27, 2007 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Animal Lovers
Shelves: animals
Ginny not only saved cats, she saved Philip Gonzalez. His story is as interesting as hers, and how she found cats to save over the course of her lovely life (she passed away just recently) is fascinating to contemplate.
Erin
Love this story and what a sweet dog Ginny is. There need to be more dogs like her and her owner (and his neighbor). It was a fast and fun read for dog and cat lovers alike!
If you love animals especially cats and dogs, you will find this a page turner. Just too awesome that a dog loves kitties that much. very cool.
Finvarra Penn
I really liked this book. Shows that even cats and dogs, two animals who have been enemies for a long, long time, can still get along.
Crystal
I read this in one sitting, which I rarely do. It was so good and so sweet. I wish I could meet Ginny and Philip. :)
Carol Schultz
This is a must read for all animal lovers. It's not a literary masterpiece, but carries a wonderful message.
Sidnaw
What a dog, and what a story. Ginny was one of a kind. I loved this book.
Jeanine
THIS WAS A WONDERFUL BOOK!
Jeanne
Excellent book! What a dog!
Angelia Darden
Feb 21, 2014 Angelia Darden rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cat lovers, dog lovers
Recommended to Angelia by: neighbor
To me it sounded like a story of animal hoarding! It is a cute and touching story,especially one part that had me in tears.I especially like the dog who has a gift for sniffing out sick and injured cats.If you are bored and have nothing better to read,I recommend you give this book a try.I read it in just a few hours,probably would have taken less time to read but im a mom and wife first so I had to keep my priorities straight!
Mimi Fintel
This heartwarming little book is a quick read. Parts of the story lagged but all in all it's a sweet story. A rescue dog named Ginny makes it her mission to find disabled and forgotten cats. Once she finds a cat she whimpers and cried to try and get her master to adopt them. Philip, the owner of the dog, needed a purpose in life after going on disability because of an accident, and his dog, Ginny. certainly does that for him!
Caitlin
This book was given to me by my mother, because she thought I would enjoy it. This book was a defining piece of my developing moral compass as a kid. What made an impact on me was not just Ginny, the dog who rescues cats, but Ginny's owner, Philip, who HELPED Ginny rescue those cats and went above and beyond to improve the lives of strays. Stories like this one are important, because they show one person making a difference, and it makes us feel more empowered to step in and change something whe...more
Dodo
To my mind, this simple and unpretentious book is better than many sophisticated ones. It shows how but a small dog and a crippled man can do lots of good. It is about empathy and compassion and a very special kind of courage. It`s a story of the kindhearted for the kindhearted. I do believe this one is a Must book, perhaps even for those who do not like animals, who knows...
Rjj
Cute little "feel-good" book. I found his glowing description of the woman with 140 cats disturbing, though.
Laurie
Oct 30, 2008 Laurie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laurie by: Marian
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
This was a sweet true story about a man who, after he was in an accident that left him disabled, adopts a dog he names Ginny. Ginny is a schnauzer/husky mix with a unique gift: she finds cats and rescues the disabled ones. She also rescues Philip by giving him a purpose in life that fills his days with meaning.
Margaret
Dec 25, 2013 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2013, animals
Awww, after reading this I just wanted to hug and thank Ginny and Philip for their cat rescue work!
Ginny is a wonderful dog with an amazing gift - not just for helping cats but for helping the humans in her life as well. A touching true story that I finished in a day.
Jill
Heart-warming story of a terrific man and his wonderful dog and cat family. YA read. Not at all well-written, but I support the efforts of anyone willing to capture- neuter - feed the cats of the world. There are zillions of cast off cats living amongst us; we just don't see them...
Andrea
This is such a sweet book! I love that this book appeals to both cat lovers and dog lovers. This is one of the most heartwarming books I've read and it's hard to believe it's a true story. It was amazing how Ginny changed the author's life and gave him a sense of purpose.
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • Saving Cinnamon: The Amazing True Story of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Mission to Bring Her Home
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • The Cat Who Went to Paris
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life
  • The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of Dogs