Start by marking “The Room of Wonders” as Want to Read:
The Room of Wonders

The Room of Wonders

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Pius Pelosi, a young pack rat, is a born collector who fills a
room with his marvelous findings, attracting curious visitors.
His very favorite item, a plain gray pebble, is given a place of
honor, which baffles everyone. They all ask why he would keep
such an ordinary stone. Bowing to public opinion, Pius gets rid
of it, but in doing so, he discovers he's lost much more than j
Published April 18th 2006 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about The Room of Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Room of Wonders

Feb 08, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I love this book. We've checked it out of the library at least 5 times. The drawings of all of the items in the room of wonders are wonderfully surreal. The story is nice without being too sweet as well. My four year old likes the idea of finding all that treasure, and it's a nice idea that treasure is treasure b/c you take pleasure in it, no matter what it is.
Gala
Nov 29, 2007 Gala rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: collectors of detritus
I'm in love with this story and the sparse, lovely, weird illustrations. Great for anyone who tends to pick things up on walks and fill bowls and boxes and windowsills with 'em.
Jay Bushara
Feb 13, 2013 Jay Bushara rated it it was amazing
Here are treasures in the eyes of one beholder: keys, and bits of driftwood, and undelivered letters, and anything else he can manage to stash in a room full of cubbies, whose centerpiece remains an unassuming pebble of no apparent splendor. The tension here, and the surprises, arrive when visitors begin remarking on its relative plainness – “an eyesore,” says one - and this pack rat needs to decide why he's been collecting. The artwork here is exquisitely detailed and original, and it would be ...more
Danielle
Mar 09, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A curious book for the curious, full of curiosities. :)

For me, it's really about an artist's journey. The pebble is the spark of what inspires you, your core, and it leads to more and more elaborate objects/projects. Every once in a while, we throw out our pebble only to remember it's the most important thing. And it must be found again in order to be inspired, to go on creating.

I'm becoming a big fan of Sergio Ruzzier's work.
Zivile
Mar 23, 2016 Zivile rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A very interesting book of a Renaissance Italy atmosphere rat which has its own chamber of curiosities. A lovely story and it might be inspiring for children to create their own collections. And the illustrations are quite nontraditional therefore the book has even a higher value.
Sam Grace
Sep 14, 2008 Sam Grace rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lois Stovall
Shelves: pretty-pictures
I should have just bought this one. My man didn't get it, thought it was pointless ("he should have thought before he threw his favorite rock away"), but I think what he's complaining about is the point of the story. Cool illustrations, cool story.
Kristin
Jun 25, 2008 Kristin rated it really liked it
this appeals to the packrat in me
Linda
Sep 14, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
I am supporting a colleague in a project she has begun where her young primary students are sharing their collections. They are learning about organization and displaying them, sharing them with the class, writing the basic information about them, then will write their stories that come from the collection. My colleague began with this book, a wonderful story of Pius Pelosi, a young pack rat, who has a room set aside to house his collection of miscellaneous items. He loves telling about his piec ...more
The Brothers
Feb 23, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
Shelves: collections
The story of a packrat (named, oddly enough, Pius Pelosi) who collects all sorts of fabulous things and puts them in a great big room. He has a little grey stone in a place of honor and all the visitors to his room of wonders criticize it as boring and uninteresting. But, it was the first thing Pius ever collected. Eventually all the criticism gets to him and he throws the stone away. After that, his collection looses its luster for him and he ends up giving it all away. After a few days of desp ...more
Dolly
Apr 21, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is an interesting story, a unique perspective on being a collector. It also demonstrates how every person has a different value system and even small, seemingly insignificant items can be priceless to someone.
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2015
Lesley Burnap
Lesley Burnap marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Karen Griffith
Karen Griffith rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Danny
Danny rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Becca howe
Becca howe rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Julia Schmidt
Julia Schmidt marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Deborah Eve
Deborah Eve rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Liane
Liane marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Mj
Mj added it
Nov 29, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Stacia
Stacia rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Emi
Emi added it
Sep 06, 2014
Melina Kinder
Melina Kinder rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Website and blog: http://www.ruzzier.com

Sergio Ruzzier was born in Milan, Italy, in 1966.

He began his career as an illustrator in 1986.

In 1995 he moved to New York City, where he’s been creating pictures and stories for national and international magazines and book publishers.

His work has been awarded by American Illustration, The Society of Illustrators, Communication Arts, and The Society of Pub
More about Sergio Ruzzier...