Start by marking “Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Inspector and Mrs. Jef...

Emily Brightwell

Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs Jeffries #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,308 ratings  ·  100 reviews
As housekeeper to Scotland Yard Inspector Witherspoon, Mrs Jeffries supervises informal investigators: coachman Smythe, maid Betsy, footman Wiggins, arthritic cook Mrs Goodge and more. Rich widow Luty Bell Crookshank, experienced nurse, knows stingy incompetent blackmailer Dr Slocum did not succumb to mushroom soup at neighborhood luncheon.
(Same isbns for pb 184 pg)
Hardcover
Published February 1st 1993 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries

Kristi
This was an interesting premise for a period cozy. Mrs. Jeffries is the housemaid for Scotland Yard Inspector Witherspoon. She and the rest of her crew solve one of the Inspector's cases for him without his knowing.

While credited as the first in the series I kept feeling as though I had missed something from a previous book. In some ways this is a credit to the author that she really developed her characters and their relations to each other. But at the same time I kept questioning whether this
Monica!
I feel bad about this book. It's presumably a fine representation of what I believe is called a "cozy Victorian mystery." However, it seems I loathe Cozy Victorian Mysteries, and as a result I can only offer up two stars.

In some ways, this book didn't seem like the first in the series. The characters kept referring back to previous mysteries, the staff all seemed to know that Mrs. Jeffries was sneaking around solving crimes for her boss, and the Inspector apparently had been given his current po
Erin ㋡ is in a reviewing slump
Cozy mysteries can be such fun, and this one especially looked so by the blurb and cover – a maid and other household help assist an investigator without his knowledge to solve crimes. It’s set in Victorian times with afternoon teas, proper society regulations on etiquette, and the infamous Scotland Yard. When looking at this series, I’m surprised to find there is over thirty books in it. Wow. I plan to get more of the series but not sure I’ll ever be able to get and read all of them.

The book st
An Odd1
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... re-read
Scotland Yard's mild Gerald Witherspoon, recently promoted from the records division, inherited his aunt Euphemia's household and rescued other employees from destitution. Grateful for their light duties and generous employer, housekeeper Hepzibah, widow of country copper, supervises investigators: kind burly coachman Smythe, abandoned housemaid Betsy, slow of wits but quick to spot a pretty face footman Wiggins, and elsewhere-unemployable arthriti
George
Oct 07, 2007 George rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British Mystery Readers
Set in the 19th century, the story involves Mrs. Jeffries, house keeper for Scotland Yard inspector Witherspoon, who helps him solve mysteries without his being aware. Mrs. Jeffries, widow of policeman, is an intelligent woman who helps, along with the various house hold staff of the inspector, the inspector solve his criminal cases. He is slow moving and not quick to grasp things so she works to encourage and guide him along the way.

This is the first in the Mrs. Jeffries series.
Gail
Inspector Witherspoon is a kind man, shy with women, and good to his servants. When he inherited a house and fortune from his aunt, he kept on the staff even when he didn't need to and thus earned their loyalty. His housekeeper is Mrs. Jeffries, a fifty-something widow of a copper who has a quick intelligent mind, a passion for solving mysteries and a need to mother everyone.

Dr. Slocum is found slumped over his lunch, obviously murdered. An unlikeable man while alive, the Inspector works to solv
Debbie
The focus of the book was in solving the mystery, and the answer was fairly clever (though I did solve it before our heroes did). The pacing was good, and the characters engaging. The world-building was okay. It often felt to me like this mystery could have happened at any time but had a few historical things dropped in to make it a historical. The social structure shown in the book certainly wasn't typical of the time. The characters are what kept me reading, not the mystery or the history.

Also
Lori
I call these kind of books my "palate cleansers" - something quick, light and entertaining to read when I need a break from dark, violent suspense or dense historical fiction. This is the first book in the series, and I liked the "downstairs" characters - Mrs. Jeffries, Smythe, Betsy, and Wiggins. I find it hard to believe that Inspector Witherspoon could possibly be as incompetant as he is portrayed and still work for Scotland Yard (it's a good thing Mrs. Jeffries covers for him). Still, I did ...more
Maria Thermann
This novel, which may well be the first of the whole Mrs Jeffries series, explains how Mrs Jeffries and the other servants came to be working in Inspector Witherspoon's household, a Scotland Yard detective who couldn't sleuth his way out of a linen cupboard, let alone solve a murder. It also explains how the servants meet Lute Belle Crookshank, an eccentric old American lady who lives in some style in Knightsbridge and who later on in the series becomes a member of the "amateur sleuthing brigade ...more
Deb
The Inspector has recently been promoted from the Records department and is now the "star" investigator at Scotland Yard. What no one knows, is that his skill isn't really his. His housekeeper, Mrs. Jeffries, is the the brains behind his success. This is the first installment of a very long series. It's set in Victorian England, and this first book deals with the mysterious death of blackmailing doctor. This seems to fit the cozy mystery category --- humorous, at times, and no overt blood and gu ...more
KarenF
I really enjoyed this one but I can see that I would have to be in a certain mood for it. I can see it being a series to turn to when you need some comfort reading. There was an engaging mystery, likeable characters & gentle humor. It's not at all a deep, meaty read but that's OK. It's a cup of tea on a rainy afternoon, cat in your lap type of book.

Inspector Witherspoon has been promoted a bit beyond his abilities. I like that he's not a complete buffoon, he's just a simple man with simple
Tracy Terry
Just as Holmes has his Watson so Inspector Witherspoon, albeit unknowingly, has Mrs Jeffries

The first in a series (now running to more than 30 books) of Victorian crime novels featuring the mild mannered (some would say inept) Inspector Witherspoon of Scotland Yard, his housekeeper, policeman's widow, Hepzibah Jeffries and, to a lesser extent, his other servants who amongst others number Smythe the coachman, housemaid Betsy, and arthritic cook, Mrs Goodge.

OK, so The Inspector And Mrs Jeffries i
Addison Public Library
Inspector Witherspoon is a dear man but he sometimes has a hard time finding out the truth in his cases. Enter Mrs. Jeffries and the rest of his household staff. Not only is Mrs. Jeffries a great housekeeper, she also has a keen mind that sees beyond the obvious. Although she is not elderly like Agatha Christie's Miss Marple, she reminds me a lot of her.

KD

This review refers to the eBook version.

Check out this book today!
Kirby Manning
I am a huge fan. I have been reading her books for quite some time. I really enjoy all of her books and have read each one in sequence, or tried. It is about a group of individuals who have maintained a family by chance, with each one not having anyone until they became part of the group quite by chance. They are united by their desire to help the "Master" of the house, himself a good man, and who works with individuals that do their best to be fair in their detective and police work. It is real ...more
Audiobook.

While I did enjoy this book, I felt the characters were rather stereotypical. The plot was involving and it was amusing in parts, but it did suffer because I chose it as a follow-up to the Agatha Raisin book I'd just finished (as it appears Audible no longer have any Agatha Raisin audiobooks.) and I find Beaton's characters a lot more amusing and interesting.

That said, it was entertaining enough to keep me interested and the narrator made a good effort at differentiating between charac
kami
Just another twenty nine to go :0
Damaskcat
Mrs Jeffries – housekeeper to Inspector Witherspoon of Scotland Yard – has an interest in solving mysteries herself. She delights in discussing his cases with him over his meals and often she pushes him gently in the right direction to solve them. His main experience has been in the records office at Scotland Yard and he is not the ideal person to be investigating murders. However with more than a little help from his housekeeper and the rest of his servants he is invincible.

In this charming st
Angie Rhodes
A friend kindly sent this to me,and I really enjoyed it, It's what I would call a 'Cozy Murder' a little humour, in the right places. Mrs Jefferies,is Inspector Witherspoons housekeeper, and helps,(unbeknown to the Inspector) solve his crimes, A long,with the help, of the cook, Mrs Goodge(who rarely leaves her kitchen, but manages to know everything going on,all the gossip) the maid,and bootboy, find clues,that the bumbling detective, misses,, Looking forward, to the next one,,
Jeff
This is the first of a British cozy mystery series. Mrs Jeffries is the inspector's housekeeper and is a much better detective than he is. Very light-weight, but fun - too short to be a good beach book though. I'll probably read a few more and see how the series develops, but this is one of those series that you can pick up anytime, or not at all, and not feel any real urgency to read the next.
Gayle
The first book in series, it's a very enjoyable British mystery. The inspector, Inspector Witherspoon is rather inept, but his household staff (headed by Mrs. Jefferies) works hard to help him solve crimes and make him look good - all without letting him know what they are up to. Cute book.
Jlnpeacock
The idea of the housekeeper (Mrs. Jeffries) being the real brains behind the Scotland Yard Inspector was cute and I thought it would be an entertaining read. The story line was fairly good, but the stupidity of the inspector finally dissuaded me from reading any other books in the series.
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Anastasia
The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries by Emily Brightwell is the first in A Victorian Murder Mystery series. It is a fun, light and entertaining read, a perfect cosy mystery. Dr. Slocum is found murdered in his surgery and Inspector Witherspoon is assigned the case. Luckily he has the help of his housekeeper Mrs. Jeffries and his loyal staff to solve the case, even though he does not realise it. It is fun to see how he is lead to the solution and I look forward to reading more in the series.
Verity W
I enjoyed this - I liked the idea of a slightly thick/bumbling police detective being surreptitiously helped by his housekeeper and the rest of his staff. I think I had the murderer fixed a bit before the reveal, but it was still a nice, fun easy read.
Heather
I found this a bit slow at times. It is a clever premise - the downstairs staff helping the inspector investigate and solve his case without letting on that is what they are doing. I'll check out a few more in the series.
Candy
The characters are easy to get to know, so far. I am reading the large print paperback, and I really like the nice thick pages! Large print is so comfortable to read.
My husband read this and thought I would like the characters.
As usual, my husband was right. I did like the characters! What I liked most was that they were kind to each other and respected one another's feelings. An easy, pleasant read.
Barbara Early
Reading this book just makes me smile. This a pure cozy reading, and I enjoyed this first installment quite a bit, although I agree with other reviewers who report that this seems to be the second mystery the housekeeper turned clandestine detective solves with the help of the rest of the household staff--and under the nose of their employer, a kindly, but rather inept detective.

I do hope the characters will continue to evolve, and not remain static. While adorable and quirky, the characters see
Mary Byrnes
I enjoyed this little cozy mystery. Mrs. Jeffries reminded me a little bit of Miss Marple. It was a nice easy read that I could pick up any time I had a few minutes. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Nupur Tustin
Another one of my favorite mystery authors. She's the closest to Agatha Christies, you'll get. The stories are well-told, and the detection impeccable.
Linda Fifield
I love this series and am always looking for the next installment! I love how the characters change and progress with each new book.
  • Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1)
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #1)
  • Snobbery With Violence
  • After the Armistice Ball (Dandy Gilver, #1)
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • Mrs. Malory Investigates (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #1)
  • Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1)
  • Million Dollar Baby (A Marjorie McClelland Mystery, #1)
  • Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)
  • The Tale of Hill Top Farm (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #1)
  • A Lack of Temperance (Hattie Davish Mystery, #1)
  • Sweet Revenge (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery, #1)
  • Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)
  • The Ninth Daughter (An Abigail Adams Mystery, #1)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • To Shield the Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #1)
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
Cheryl Lanham was born on 11 October 1948 in the Appalachian mountains of West Virginia, USA. Her family moved to Southern California in 1959 and she grew up in Pasadena. After graduating from California State University, she decided to work her way around the world and took off for England. She didn’t get much further because she met Richard James Arguile, the Englishman who became her husband, g ...more
More about Emily Brightwell...

Mrs Jeffries (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Dusts for Clues (Mrs. Jeffries, #2)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #3)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes Stock (Mrs. Jeffries, #4)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Ball (Mrs. Jeffries, #5)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Trail (Mrs. Jeffries, #6)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Plays the Cook (Mrs. Jeffries, #7)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Missing Alibi (Mrs. Jeffries, #8)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Stands Corrected (Mrs. Jeffries, #9)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes the Stage
  • Mrs. Jeffries Questions the Answer
Mrs. Jeffries Dusts for Clues (Mrs. Jeffries, #2) The Ghost and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #3) Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney (Mrs Jefferies, #18) Mrs. Jeffries and the Yuletide Weddings Mrs. Jeffries and the Feast of St. Stephen