Start by marking “Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled (Mrs. Pollifax 14)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled (Mrs. Pollifax 14)

Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled (Mrs Pollifax #14)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,767 ratings  ·  102 reviews
After saving passengers on a flight to the Middle East from hijackers, a young American steps off the plane in Damascus and disappears. The CIA believes rumors Amanda Pym may be still alive, and send Mrs Pollifax as her aunt. Emily slips through crooked streets, crowded souks, and treks deep into the desert - shadowed by deadly enemies who capture and torture Farrell.
Published May 1st 2001 by Ballantine Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled

Jesse
In her latest adventure, Mrs. P heads back to the Middle East—destination: Syria, this time. A very mysterious set of circumstances surrounds a plane hijacking that was averted from danger by a young American girl who walked up to a hijacker and asked for his gun, which was instrumental in freeing all of the hostages. And then, she gives a very nondescript, taciturn interview at the airport in Damascus, gets into a car—the wrong car—is whisked away and is never heard from again.

Enter Mrs. Pollif
Valerie
I actually read this a few months ago but am now just getting around to writing my review. Ah, the end of the series so it is bitter sweet. It actually ends pretty satisfyingly although the author didn't intend for it to be the end. She just died before she could write another one. I really do wish that Farrell could have found someone right for him.

What I liked most about this book was actually the author interview that happened at the end. This interview took place 8 years before Dorothy Gilm
Stephanie
This is the final book in the Mrs. Pollifax series. I read and enjoyed all of them. They were not all as good as the first book, which was my favorite. I enjoyed the series very much. Although by reading them one after the other I noticed a pattern in the mysteries that had I read other books in between I may not have picked up on, I am not sure - but it didn't keep me from reading the next book in the series nor was I disappointed.
These are not the most cliff hanging, page turning, suspense fi
Barbara ★
This is a cozy mystery series featuring an older (think senior citizen) lady who believe it or not, works for the CIA. Here latest adventure takes place in Syria where she is asked to discover if a kidnapped American, Amanda Pym is in fact still alive and being held captive by terrorists. Of course, the story is slightly ridiculous (an elderly lady overcoming tried and true terrorists) but it's fun and quick to read. Don't get me wrong there is evident danger and Mrs. Pollifax and John Farrell g ...more
Francisco
You read these books long enough and you began to believe that if you drove up to Langley, you would find Carstairs and Bishop talking with Mrs. Pollifax about another courier job that turns into something estraordinary.
This is the last book in the series. And its a fitting farewell to Mrs. Pollifax with one last adventure with Farrell.
Lorraine
I've read every book in the Mrs. Pollifax series and enjoyed them all. Credible? No. Not the point. The idea of a darling little senior citizen with her flowered hats capturing villains and saving the world is fun, especially if you're a senior like me! I'd love to be hanging out with handsome sheiks, fellow secret agents and other good-lookin' dudes! Can I? Would I? Of course not ... there's the fun of it.
Debbie J
Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled, a cozy upending of the usual Mata Hari-ish femme fatale spy tale, unfortunately hasn’t stood well the test of time. Its storyline, based in the politically volatile Middle East, is dated enough to require utter suspension of disbelief for readers now facing post- 9/11 realities.

Writer Dorothy Gilman’s character development is poor, especially for the kidnap victim whose confessed motivation makes her resemble a looking glass world’s Patty Hearst. Perfunctory plotting also
Sally
It's always a little sad for me to come to an end of a long series of books where I have enjoyed a core of recurring characters. This book was no exception, but I did feel it was a satisfactory tidying-up of Mrs. Pollifax's very unusual international adventures. The whole lot was really unrealistic, but somehow made believable by the author's presentation of the plots and characters. These stories are not to be taken as real history or precise geography lessons, yet it feels as if they are. Than ...more
Ryan
4/2014
I re-read the book and enjoyed it in the same ways as before - odd because often my reaction to books is different depending on my current perspective. Apparently, I was in the same mood as the last time I read this one.

11/2012
Mrs. Pollifax books often start with her sense of not feeling useful, of boredom with what retirement provides - and she is a pretty active person if you look at her list of activities. But I get the desire for something exciting and meaningful, though I doubt I woul
librarian4Him02
In this last book in the series Carstairs sends Mrs. Pollifax and Farrell to Syria in search of a girl who was kidnapped following her heroic act of stopping a hijacking situation. They are to find out if she is alive and, if so, bring her home. Farrell, Carstairs, Bishop, and Cyrus (all my favorites) were part of the story. I also enjoyed the action and suspense. This was a great end to the series. I'm having fun imagining what Mrs. Pollifax might be getting up to next.
Tamara
This book was my book club's selection for the month of May. We have not yet met to discuss the book but here are my personal feelings about it. I have never read any of the other books from this series so I was happy to be introduced to a new author. The book is a quick read but I found it to be very easy to figure out and did not allow for any sense of wonder. I enjoyed the main characters in the book and their camaraderie but outside of that the book was just ok .
Nathalie S
I thought I had read all the Mrs. Pollifax mysteries but not so. It was nice to have a new story. I got hooked into the story right away, but then it seemed to meander with a lot of background story which got me a little lost---probably due to the fact I was listening to this story in my car. But we finally got back to the story and it did not disappoint!
Liz
This is the final Mrs. Pollifax mystery. The author, Dorothy Gilman, died of complications of Alzheimer’s disease twelve years after this volume’s publication in 2000. I’m assuming that Dorothy Gilman’s illness prevented her from bringing Mrs. P’s adventures to a conclusion. I very much enjoyed this last story, in which Mrs. Pollifax and John Sebastian Farrell travel to Syria in search of an American girl who thwarted a terrorist attack, then disappeared. Amanda Pym has been written off as dead ...more
Kelela Taufa
What a good and interesting book i read! My book was basicly just talks about how there was a plane crash and this girl comes out of the plane alive, and the guys in Syria kill everybody, but didn't kill her at all so they took her away, so now everybody back at home thinks she died when really she didn't, so the bishop in her church sends two family members on a case to find out what had really happened to her, and where she had disappeared too! At first when i looked at the cover i thought i w ...more
Sara
Very satisfying conclusion to the series. Quite ironic, too, given that Gilman published it in 2000, that it takes place in Syria and all the seeds of the ongoing current conflict are already there.
Diane
The last of the Polifax books! As usual, the loveable senior citizen, Mrs. Emily Polifax, is able to use her common sense and complete her task for the CIA. While on her escapades, she treats us to a detailed description of Syria so that you feel you are there yourself. Always enjoyable.
Darla
(Genre: Fiction/Adventure-suspense) I really wish that we could give 1/2 stars because this one would be 3 1/2. It was quite an enjoyable read. Mrs. Pollifax is a senior citizen CIA agent that is sent to Syria to search for a missing American who is rumored to being held in the desert. She poses as the aunt of said American. Plot is fairly simple and straight forward. I kept expecting big mystery/twists to the plot that never happened. That is what stops it from being a 4-star book for me. But I ...more
Melanie Greene
Over the course of 2014 I've read / listened to this entire series. Sad it's over!
Sarah Southerland
So sad this is the last book and the series was never finished.
Viji
Fast Reading and set in the time of Iraq War.
Robyn
Re-read since I have it on Kindle now, have read it several times in paperback. Never noticed in previous reads: a lot is said about how, regardless of what you might think of the man and his methods, Hafez al-Assad was keeping Syria relatively stable and his death would be a serious blow to the region...this book was published in 2000, which is the same year that Assad died. Interesting timing, the author must have been quite frustrated when her book was published and then the man died right af ...more
Sandra Strange
Mrs. Virgil (Emily) Pollifax of New Brunswick, New Jersey, was a widow. Her children grown, tired of attending her Garden Club meetings, she wanted to do something different, but something that would allow her to serve. So, naturally, she became a CIA agent. This series is as delightful as this character sounds. Full of adventure, suspense, fun, even a bit of romance, and warm heartedness, the books are light and entertaining, and almost unfailingly warm and fuzzy.
Althea Ann
Last one in the series... and I have a sad feeling that it will remain the last one. It was published in 2000, Gilman's most recent book was published in 2002, and she's 87. Sigh.
Still, as with all of these, it was fun (and quick) to read. In this installment, Mrs. Pollifax is off to the Middle East again, this time to investigate the possible kidnapping of a young American woman. As usual, inquiries lead to dangerous and adventurous events...
Rebecca
I read several of this series a long time ago, and I remember thinking how fun they were. An older woman who works as a spy. However, this was not a great book for me. I did listen to it on CD, and I did not like the narrator's portrayal of Mrs. Pollifax. In my mind, she was vibrant. But the narrator made the character sound like such an old lady. The story was just so-so. I'm not sure I'll try another or if I've given up on Mrs. P.
Joyce
Mrs. Pollifax's final assignment for Carstairs is back in the Middle East (and that is not a spoiler - simply a fact that this is the final book in the series). Reunited again with Farrell (who has become a regular!) they have to use their wits and ability to plan on their feet to rescue a kidnapped American. This is a more straight-forward story with no encounters with those "wise" men and women that Mrs. Pollifax often encounters.
Shauna
This story doesn't really write an END to the series, but I'm not holding my breath for any more, and I liked this one as well as the best of series. It was good to have Mrs. Pollifax and John Farrell together again (even if it was just since the last book--this one is definitely better), and I enjoyed the setting in Damascus and the mystery as they try to save a kidnapped woman who had foiled a terrorist plane hostage attempt.
Rachel Meyers
This is a book group book and I love that everyone in our group has difference tastes and I read books that I probably wouldn't have chosen on my own. But, the more books I read, the harder it is for me to like books because I compare them and I expect them to be page turners. I don't know if I just don't like mysteries much, but I felt like this book had a weak and predictable plot. It wasn't my favorite book...
Natalie
I enjoy a good mystery and the Mrs. Pollifax series has plenty of mystery and excitement without too much blood and gore. In this particular book Mrs. Pollifax travels for the CIA to Syria in order to look for a young woman who was kidnapped in plain view. She has been gone for 6 weeks, but there are rumors that she is still alive. This was a fun and fast read with a good dose of danger and suspense.
Marti
This was an amusing, short--195 pp--book which didn't require a lot of thought to understand and enjoy. Mrs. Polifax is an unusual type for a spy, but she does know karate, and is good at observing details. It seemed impossible that she and Farell could actually rescue Amanda Pym from the desperate group holding her captive, especially in the amount of time or pages they had. Did they do it?
Lori
Faced with a large amount of time on her hands, Mrs. Pollifax decides its time to give back to her country . . . by becoming a spy! Strangely enough, she's just what the CIA needs in an unassuming tourist. Despite what seems to be straightforward assignments (meetings and drop offs), Mrs. Pollifax always ends up to the top of her famously fabulous hats in mystery and intrigue.
  • Children of the Storm (Amelia Peabody, #15)
  • Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)
61934
Dorothy Gilman started writing when she was 9. At 11, she competed against 10 to 16-year-olds in a story contest and won first place. Dorothy worked as an art teacher and telephone operator before becoming an author. She wrote children’s stories for more than ten years under the name Dorothy Gilman Butters and then began writing adult novels about Mrs. Pollifax–a retired grandmother who becomes a ...more
More about Dorothy Gilman...
The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax  (Mrs. Pollifax #1) The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax Mrs. Pollifax on Safari (Mrs. Pollifax, #5) A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #4)