Start by marking “The Druid's Tune” as Want to Read:
The Druid's Tune

The Druid's Tune

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  316 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
While visiting distant relatives in Ireland, a teenage brother and sister, curiously uneasy about the strange workman on their cousin's farm, discover his strange powers when they are all transported back in time to take part in the struggle between Cuchulain of Ulster and Queen Maeve of Connaught.
Published (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Druid's Tune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Druid's Tune

Jenn
May 23, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it
***NOTE MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS***
This review is not going to be as detailed as I would have liked because I've read quite a bit in the few days since finishing it. The problem with reading so many books is they start to blend in your mind and it's sometimes hard to separate one from the other.

Rosemary and Jimmy are two Toronto teenagers sent as a punishment to Ireland to spend the summer working on their uncle's small farm. To wrapped up in their own wants and needs to listen to thei
Raven
Dec 12, 2011 Raven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I did not think I was going to like this book at all, and even after the first chapter it seemed too much of childish fairytale to me. By the second chapter though it had me hooked. It wasn't about being children it was about being teenagers in an adult world. It was so amazing, and absolutely so fun! After I got reading I couldn't stop.

This book has everything, honor, legends, royalty, love, magic, and everything else that makes a good book. I would recommend this to anyone that is looking for
William Clifford
Apr 16, 2015 William Clifford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a good childrens book that follows two children in their interest toward a man that catches their eye for trouble and is intriguing enough to follow back in time to a world they knew from legends.
Daniela
Apr 22, 2011 Daniela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I originally read this book back before I was a teenager, though I can't remember exactly when it was. What I do remember is it was this story that started a absolute love of reading. I was fortunate enough to have a wonderful aunt who always bought me books, and always bought me GREAT books. This was one of them. To this day (even though this precise story is a little fuzzy) I will always gravitate towards stories of time travel because of how much this one resonated with me. When my daughter i ...more
Shannon
Sep 02, 2015 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book when I was a kid
Nicole Acheson
Aug 09, 2011 Nicole Acheson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Druids Tune is an exellent book to read in my opinion. I found that the book caught my attention easily in the first chapter and kept my attention throughout the book. I loved how the book went back in time to pre-Christian Ireland and ended in present day Ireland. I reccomend this book to anyone who is interested in fantasy, Druids and who just loves to read anything that catches their attention.
Jasmine
Nov 04, 2014 Jasmine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: like-narnia, fantasy, ya
What on earth? I had pretty good taste in books as a kid, so why do I remember this as being far better than it actually is? It wasn't bad, I suppose, and it's cool reading about Ireland after going to the country and falling in love with it, but this was sort of a bland read. Good take on the whole "kid gets pulled to another world" plot, though.
NightAuditMan
This is probably the most Meh book I've read in a long time. There is nothing driving the plot...stuff just simply happens and the two main characters are basically ok with it. Any major issues are dealt with by chapters end and they're off to whatever. There were no stakes...at no point was I worried about the two main characters. Just plain Meh.
Kirthi
Oct 13, 2009 Kirthi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic historical fiction of ancient Ireland! Wonderful, Orla, splendidly wonderful! Orla brings mythical legends to life, characterizing vague characters and creating amazingly clear visuals. Romantic and lovable, ancient and mysterious, and comforting in a strange way. I've always been a great fan of time traveling stories!
Kim
Mar 02, 2008 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book got great reviews by people who also loved the Blue Sword (my FAVORITE) so I had high hopes. It was kind of dumb. Some similarities to the Blue Sword which bugged me more because it was so underdeveloped. And hello...the kids fought on both sides of the war and switched back and forth - that was irritating.
Rachel
You can tell that this is one of Melling's earlier works-it doesn't have half the depth of her later ones. Still, it is a good way to familiarize yourself with the Táin Bó Cúailnge story.
Ms Thraxan
Feb 08, 2012 Ms Thraxan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book so much! It is absolutely amazing and a breath taking tale from Ireland. I live in Ireland myself and have to say that the author has done our country justice!
Sara
Apr 18, 2016 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story in this book was interesting enough to keep me reading, but the writing was highly formal and made it difficult to immerse myself into the story.
Arc
Arc added it
Apr 18, 2016
Cora Jackson
Cora Jackson rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Relanni
Relanni rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Brendi
Brendi marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Joan
Joan rated it did not like it
Mar 26, 2016
Blaynne Lea
Blaynne Lea marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Kyra Boatwright-Frost
Kyra Boatwright-Frost marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Courtney Williams
Courtney Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Leslie Smith
Leslie Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Cara
Cara added it
Mar 09, 2016
Annionymo
Annionymo marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Rehman
Rehman rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Jillian.miserakgmail.com
Jillian.miserakgmail.com marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Krys Thomas
Krys Thomas rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
  • The Third Magic
  • There Will Be Wolves
  • The Hidden World
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • For Camelot's Honor (The Paths to Camelot, #2)
  • Spellbound (Wicked, #4)
  • Adam and Eve and Pinch-Me
  • Singularity
  • The Pirate Queen: The Story of Grace O'Malley, Irish Pirate
  • The Celtic Heroic Age
  • Goose Goofs Off
  • Over the Edge (Chloe & Levesque, #2)
Born in Ireland, raised and educated in Toronto, Canada along with my seven sisters and two brothers, now living back in Ireland again. I have a beautiful daughter, Findabhair, doing her M.A. in Marine Biology and a beautiful cat, Emma, who would love to eat the fish Finn (great name for a marine biologist, eh?) wants to protect. My favourite author of all time is CS Lewis. I've read everything he ...more
More about O.R. Melling...