Outside the Box: A Book of Poems

Outside the Box: A Book of Poems

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  19 reviews
This laugh-out-loud poetry collaboration from a New York Times and Publishers Weekly bestselling author and a Caldecott Honor illustrator is anything but ordinary.

Dive in to Karma Wilson's latest collection of more than 100 poems: some humorous, some poignant, and all of them Outside the Box. Illustrated by Caldecott Honoree Diane Goode, Outside the Box has something for e...more
Published March 11th 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

paula
Baby sister, roller coaster, imaginary friend. Kite, bat, Christmas tree, bubblegum and sand. Familiar objects and situations are given a sideways tweak in more than one hundred illustrated poems. A kid rats out a classmate - for being a tattle-tale; the scary alien under the bed turns out to be a moldy sandwich; and in an epic poem that recalls the old lady who swallowed the fly, a boy wears his coat upside-down, walks on his hands, sits on his head, and eats from his shoe. That kid is living l...more
Ericka
Apr 01, 2014 Ericka added it
Shelves: silly, funny, poems
The poems are silly, funny, delightful, light-hearted, brothers, sisters, growing up and school. Some of the poems are short and some are long.

Hide-and-Sleep

I hid myself for hide-and-seek
in a place they'd never guess.
I curled up tight, way out of sight,
beneath my mother's favorite dress.
There in the closet, by the shoes,
I never made a single peep.
I waited, waited, waited...
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
and then I fell asleep.
Margie
Poets who create for children of any age have a unique gift, the ability to get to the spirit of their subject. They see the world through the eyes of their intended audience. Outside the Box: A Book of Poems (Margaret K. McElderry Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing Division) written by Karma Wilson with illustrations by Diane Goode is a collection sure to appeal to any reader but especially to those who enjoy looking at life through the lens of laughter, thoughtfuln...more
Penny Peck
Written in homage to Shel Silverstein (check out the dedication on the verso), this solid book of humorous verse will please readers, although it is not particularly memorable. Ink cartoons add to the fun, and Wilson is adept at consistent rhymes. The only thing missing is Silverstein's subversive underlying messages. If kids and tweens are seeking some fun new poetry books, this is a good choice.
Dolly
This is an entertaining collection of poems that is dedicated to Shel Silverstein and pays homage to his whimsical rhyming style and black and white illustrations. In fact, when I first saw the book at our local library, I thought it was another book of his poems that was published posthumously.

The poems range across a wide variety of topics and really speak to children's hopes, fears, dreams, and desires. A few of the poems have awkward rhymes, but on the whole we found this book to be highly...more
Brandy
Funny & Cute collection of YA poems - My favorite, "Inside, Outside, Upside Down"!
Jennifer Kaap
A nod to Shel Silverstein! Funny poems with funny line drawings. My favorite:
"PROFESSIONAL LIAR" : I'm a professional liar,/ which means I tell lies for a living./ You say that's absurd?/ Please, take my word./ (That is, if my word is worth giving!)//
I'm a professional liar./ I tell tales most every day./ But I'll shed some light./ My job is to write./ And in fiction, lies are okay.
Scott
As a Silverstein tribute this was pretty solid (considering the dedication, I think it's safe to compare them). The poems were clever and cute, though not quite as thrilling as those of Silverstein. The illustrations were pretty great, though the full page spreads left me a little jolted, trying to connect them to the poetry.
Lisa
The kids laughed a lot while I read this book to them. I liked the way she wrote in several different poetry styles and made playing with words look fun. My kids even memorized this gem...

Why I Avoid the Kiddie Pool

I have a little brother,
and I'm not a fool.
I know why it's warmer
in the kiddie pool.
Great Books
Fun and engaging poems to read and talk about together. Humorous kid topics: clay, frogs, spiders werewolves and vampires,to name a few, all inspire (humorous)insightful thinking and encourage additional page turns. The black and white illustrations happily support and depict the poems.
Reviewer 3.
Mrs. Knott
Fun book of poetry, reminiscent of Shel Silverstein. I think a few of the poems reminded me of a specific Silverstein poem. It would be fun to go back and compare! Several poems made me laugh out loud. Diane Goode's illustrations are always fun to look at.
Dolores
School, holidays, animals, siblings, growing up...it's all in here. The pencils sketches are a perfect compliment to the poetry that's sure to delight and inspire elementary aged children. This goes on our poetry shelf!
Edward Sullivan
A fun collection of lighthearted verse with a quite obvious nod to Shel Silverstein. Great whimsical line drawings by Diane Goode.
Jacqueline
Very very fun! My favorite poem was Boogie Man where the narrator "boogies" with the Boogie Man all night.
Mary Lee
Lots of fun Silvertein-ian verse, with a few really lovely descriptive poem tucked in here and there.
Shelli
I highly recommend starting your day with a silly fun poem or three! As we went along I found a new favorite each day, one of them being:

My Friend….Imaginary
My best imaginary friend
Said the rottenest thing to me.
So now I have a super-mean
make-believe enemy

And nerds especially
Become the great,
inventive souls
that make our history

O.k. no more looking through the book or I will end up re-reading them all again! Kids will love each one and their simp...more
Reader50
I loved the poems, reminiscent of the poems of Shel Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends". This poems are funny, cleaver and often quirky with illustrations to match.
Cassie
MG poems. Most poems are very funny. Poems are too long to use in Storytime though.
Wooden Horse
I'm looking forward to seeing a completed copy. The ARC I read wasn't optimized for my device so the playful collaboration between the text and the illustrations were at times lost on me.
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Sarah Pennell
Sarah Pennell marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Charlene Mitchell
Charlene Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Debbi
Debbi marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl...more
More about Karma Wilson...
Bear Snores On Bear Wants More Bear Stays Up for Christmas Bear Feels Sick The Cow Loves Cookies