Start by marking “Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty, #0.5)

Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty 0.5)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  784 ratings  ·  119 reviews
Dear Author,
He's been in my life for two decades. Don't Ask Don't Tell ended too late for us as we were months from retirement. We spent so much of our lives in the closet, hiding our love that I worry if we can hold it together when we're out. I'm scared of losing him. For me, he's the hottest thing I've ever seen still and I know he could get guys half my age without try
Published June 4th 2012 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Duty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Duty

Virginia
description

I'm biased since I chose the photo and prompt but I knew this author wouldn't let our guys down! Great short. Hot, sexy, 40+ year old military guys trying to figure out their future post don't ask don't tell. Loved the POV the story was in. I felt Gunny's anxiety about him and Mac's future. Mac knows Gunny so well and knew something was wrong. The bdsm scene was perfect for them and fit. I could completely see how these guys could be best friends and a couple. Their personalities obviously compl
Heather C
OMG! I LOVED THIS!!

Loved Gunny's voice: the big, bad, insecure Marine that takes no shit from anyone, but turns to mush for his best friend
Loved the dirty talk: big, muscular, manly men explicitly vocalizing what they wanna do to each other
Loved the kinky sex: the door sex, the bondage, the cock ring, the blindfold and the flogger
Loved the ending: so sweet that Gunny and Mac will finally get their HEA after 22 years
Loved that it fit perfectly with the prompt and picture

Yes, longer would ha
Lena♥Ribka

Love this one!

This short novella has everything I need.

A good story.

An interesting POV.

Great main characters.

Fantastic chemistry between them.

Hot sex scenes.

The promising writing.

What do I need else? EXACTLY - I need more!

It is why I added all books of S.J.D. Peterson to my TBR. ;)

Recommended.
Sheri
Can't. Stop.
I finished this novella just before lights out last night...and couldn't stop dreaming about them. I woke up with Gunny & Mac on the brain.
And...
I. Want. More.

The story is just like they boys...solid, strong & sexy.
Loved the BDSM scene...it was perfect!
28 pages done right.

*4.5 stars*
Bev
Absolutely loved this one 5 stars and

Freebie from the 2012 'Love Is Always Write' event here on Goodreads, and as I haven't read a Jo Peterson tale I didn't like, downloaded it and well, am sooo glad I did!! Gunny and Mac are two long serving Marines pre DADT, and have obviously kept their relationship a secret, in fact they've kept the secret so well that they are shortly due to retire with no-one any the wiser.

This little novella is about how Gunny thinks Mac will react to the imminent repea
Lenore
3.5 stars.

I liked Gunny. I understood him, his hopes, his insecurities. I can't say the same about Mac but, from what I got through Gunny and by the way he Domed Gunny he came across like a caring partner.

The mild BDSM session was fitting and well delivered. Very tender and emotional. I enjoyed being in Gunny's head in that scene. I believed him when he said Mac understood him, gave him exactly what he wanted, when he wanted it, how he wanted it.

I had some minor issues with the use of tenses but
Bookish❧Gwen❦
Mac & Gunny ...Wow...Sweet!

Pure Unadulterated BDSM, Military, Lov'in Sweetness...

The Novelette ~

Oooh My Gawd it was Beautiful! 4 Hopelessly Romantic Swoon Worthy Novelette Stars!

My 1st version...28 pages of stomp my feet madness. Short books are never my fav, so I tend to stay away from ' Love Always Writes' ...But, this is one of my favorite writer's...so I could NOT resist. I wanted more soooo bad...

Now I have my hands on this!

Now The Novel!

Needless to say, I dropped everything I was rea
MiʂħүJѻ
Twenty-two years I've loved you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you as my best friend, my boy, my lover, and my husband.

Although Gunny and Mac have been exclusive FWB for years, now that DADT has been repealed, Gunny worries that Mac will decide to look for something new. This short story had it all. Hot sex, a bit of BDSM, two military men, a bit of angst and a moment of romance sweet enough to turn me into a pile of warm melty goo.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jun 27, 2012 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to JustJen "Miss Conduct" by: Heather C
Shelves: mm, bdsm-d-s, ebook, freebies
I loved this story from the get go. The picture really sets the mood and I mentally referenced it throughout the entire story. Gunny and Mac are smoking hot and the one bdsm scene was scorching. I am so glad these two didn't let their communication breakdown go on for very long. I hate that this was a short story, because I really wanted more of these Marines.
Gigi
Loved it! Super sweet and HOT military men about to retire. One is afraid that their 10 year relationship is about to end now that they won't have to hide behind DADT. The other has a different idea...
Beck
I can be fairly harsh on short stories but I don't think I can find a single negative thing to say about this one. The plot wasn't cluttered by extraneous characters or angst. The back story was clear, concise, succinct & allowed the reader to engage with the characters. The BDSM was beautifully portrayed even tho' most of it was alluded to rather than described in excruciating detail. In short (pun intended) this was wonderful & wonderfully written. Highly recommended.
Susan
The MCs in this short story were incredibly sexy. I love stories about established couples (which they were in my mind despite Gunny's doubts!). This was one of my favourite prompts from Love is Always Write and the story was perfect for it.
Juls
Aug 21, 2012 Juls rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
oh hell! This book was so effing beautiful!

Being in the Military and being gay was a hard feat but Gunny and Mac hid it well. Now with change on the horizon they can bring their love to the forefront.

I am so happy that despite the fact that this was a short story Gunny and Mac got their HEA.
Trisha Harrington
Great book about two marines who have been in a casual relationship for over twenty years. It had some BDSM in it, but it was tastefully done and did not leave me scarred for life. It was very sweet and the ending just made me smile.

Totally recommend this!!!
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I dearly loved this story. From the picture perfect picture to the great love between these two men. I loved the D/s implied and the way they were so comfortable with each other. I am going to go grab more books by this author STAT!!
Emma Sea
Nice story: I'd give the story itself three stars, but an extra star for being a freebie. The prompt photo is astoundingly hot.
Serena Yates
'Beyond Duty', a story set just before DADT got repealed, is a great portrait of a relationship between two seasoned Marines. Short but intense, it shows how the two men who are about to retire need to face the future, but don't know how.

Told from the perspective of Gunny, it shows all the insecurities and doubts that surface with the possibility of being a couple. The problem is, he never dared think of them as a couple, and while it was blatantly obvious to me that he is as deeply in love with
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
4 1/2 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Gunnery Sergeant Gunther ‘Gunny’ Duchene & Macalister ‘Mac’ Jones are both Marines who are coming up for retirement, now DADT is two months from being repelled and it gives Gunny an added worry that Mac will now go looking elsewhere as he no longer has to hide.

Oh, SJD. give you a little prompt and two military men, and you pull up your big girl panties and come up with a right sparkling little gem. Gun
Julesmarie
Adorable! I would never have anticipated using that adjective to describe a story about the men in the picture prompt, but this story was honestly adorable, and so, so sweet (um, and also HOT! whew!).

I loved both of the characters, and would love to have gotten to know them better, but what I was given was enough for me to genuinely like them and be rooting for them. Gunny's voice was perfect and I was incredibly impressed at how the author was able to make him believable both as a big, tough so
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group, Love Is Always Write: Volume One.

This was sweet and hot and just right. It ended well and right where it made sense to end, but I'd love an epilogue (view spoiler). The author did a great job incorporating the picture, even explained the matching tattoos!
Breann
This story was perfection from beginning to end. I loved every minute of it! It's usually really hard for me to rate such a short story. There never seems to be enough pages to make me really care about the characters and I often wonder if it's possible. Well, it is. Right here.

This book is free along with so many other wonderful books by wonderful authors from the M/M Romance group event Don't Read in the Closet.
Tami (synchro from BL)
3,5 stars.

It was a nice and engaging read about two marines shortly before retirement, just as DADT gets repealed.
They are between "friends with benefits" and "established couple of 20 years" - it was a curious mix, but it worked.

I found it a bit sappy and too sweet in some places, but it had a really strong beginning and the main characters were likable.

MLE
Jan 14, 2013 MLE rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
A beautiful and mature love story. Well developed, and written especially for a short story. The bondage elements, while not usually my cup of tea, worked well with the characters involved, and it was nice to see the submissive partner who was so strong, and capable, and clearly choosing to take that role. No muddy questions of consent in this one.
Wendy Ann
Loved, loved, loved this story! I have a thing for tough guys with a bit of vulnerability and this story was the perfect representation of that mix. Throw in a little bit of BDSM that can help both ground a guy and let him soar, and it’s a 5 star read for me (not to mention that it’s also free)!!! Awesome:)
Dee Wy
I can't believe how well this story was developed in so few pages. So very satisfying and sweet for two marines. Loved it!
Sophia
For a short story that was created from a letter and photo for a writing event, I found this a good and entertaining read. I really enjoyed how in depth the main character and his dilemma were written and the detail work that was put into each scene. I enjoyed the change of tones from the misunderstood anger in the first scene at the diner, to the playful passion when picking up his buddy at the airport, to the fear generated from the sudden understanding of his feelings and finally to the unbel ...more
Stacey Jo
Gunny and Mac are long time best friends and lovers, and Marines. They have a lot of major life changes happening in a short period of time and Gunny, having finally come to the realization that he's in love with Mac, is very afraid that this time with Mac will be the last. Mac tries to relieve Gunny's stress with BDSM, although the scene isn't drawn out and very lightly detailed. Mac is relieved only for a short time. Mac finally figures out what is bothering him once they open up, and Mac has ...more
Edina Rose
After Battle Buddy, another sexy, testosterone-fueled military romance by SJDP. Both are short stories, I wish they were longer. Along with Voinov Aleksandr and Marquesate, this author is now one of my fav when it comes to gay military
Will Parkinson
I'm going to admit...I wasn't going to read this book. The description didn't really interest me, and I'm not into BDSM, but Shirley Frances read it and I figured what the heck.

I'm so glad I did. The story was topical, it was well written (okay, there were a few minor mistakes, but it's a great free story so I don't mind at all!) and really very genuine.

The ending did cause me to choke up a little, too.

Thank you S.J.D. Peterson for the story.
Dreamspinner Press: Beyond Duty by SJD Peterson 1 12 Aug 02, 2013 06:59AM
  • A Hard Dazed Knight
  • Louder Than Sirens, Louder Than Bells
  • Falling Away
  • Take a Breath
It's been an amazing journey since DSP first contracted Lorcan's Desire in January 2011. I've published 2 free reads with the M/M Romance group, my back list is growing, met some great people and have made some amazing friends.
I'm still in shock that I'm listed among the many talented authors at Dreamspinner Press! The little voice in the back of my head is screaming, "You are so out of your leagu
More about S.J.D. Peterson...

Beyond Duty (3 books)
  • Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty, #1)
  • Mauled (Guards of Folsom, #4.5; Beyond Duty #2)
Plan B Pup (Guards of Folsom, #1) Tag Team (Guards of Folsom, #2) Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty, #1) Lorcan's Desire (Whispering Pines Ranch, #1)

“Whether black or white, male or female, active or reserve, gay, bisexual, or straight, we are all Marines. What we share in common goes deeper than any superficial differences.” 5 likes