Start by marking “The Big Squeeze: A Social and Political History of the Controversial Mammogram” as Want to Read:
The Big Squeeze: A Social and Political History of the Controversial Mammogram

The Big Squeeze: A Social and Political History of the Controversial Mammogram

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In 2009, an influential panel of medical experts ignited a controversy when they recommended that most women should not begin routine mammograms to screen for breast cancer until the age of fifty, reversing guidelines they had issued just seven years before when they recommended forty as the optimal age to start getting mammograms. While some praised the new recommendation ...more
Published August 7th 2012 by ILR Press

To ask other readers questions about The Big Squeeze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Squeeze

Liana Giorgi
A good case study of what happens in the field of health and risk when politics and science use each other and the media to advance their own agendas rather than public policy. Read more at NYJB
Andrea van der Hoek
This was an interesting little book. I enjoyed it more in light of just having finished "The Panic Virus." It is amazing how passionately held opinions can crowd out actual scientific evidence. Books like these are the things we need to read more of to get at the background and politics of health issues.
Loraine
Well researched and well written book by Dr. Handel Reynolds.

It was so refreshing to actually see his desperation to have the healthcare industry remain transparent with us, the consumers.

This was a no-holds-barred book.

Dr. Reynolds earned the prestigious award of Book of the Year within 6 months of publication.

Online news indicate that Dr. Reynolds will not be writing any other books. Sadly, he died on June 14, 2013.

A transparent, dedicated, compassionate, researcher, speaker, author and doctor
Victoria Pike
I would highly recommend that anyone with breasts, or knowing anyone with them, read the book "The Big Squeeze: A social and political history of the controversial mammogram" by Handel Reynolds, MD.

It's been kind of a stiff read for me filled with names and dates I will likely never remember because my brain doesn't like to retain such things, but for a 94 page book plus 18 pages of notes/bibliography it is informative and well written and a topic we should all have at least a little time for.
Scorchy Barrington
Scorchy Barrington marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
M
M marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2012
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2012
Elizabeth Lang
Elizabeth Lang marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2012