Martin Sloane

Martin Sloane

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  34 reviews
2001 Amazon.ca/Books in Canada First Novel Award Winner: When Toronto poet and playwright Michael Redhill published his first novel, Martin Sloane, he made headlines for the novel's long gestation through 12 complete drafts written over 10-plus years. In an age when many blockbuster novels read as though they never saw an editor's pencil, Redhill's stamina and his ruthless...more
Published April 10th 2001 by Doubleday Canada (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Martin Sloane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martin Sloane

Ekairidium
This is one of the four books I purchased through a 'buy-one-take-one' bargain sale when I took a sabbatical leave from college to explore my options. My attention was caught by the reviews and summary at the back, as well as the eye-catching mysterious cover. Intrigued, I bought it and managed to finish it within the day. The thing about bargain books is you have no expectations whatsoever pertaining to the material you're about to read so I'm always careful with the stuff I buy from thrift sto...more
Ginger Hallett
This haunting story has left me a bit unsettled. I wanted to read it because I enjoyed reading three of Michael Redhill's later works, the detective series set in Ontario and featuring Hazel Micallef, which he wrote under the pseudonym Inger Ash Wolfe. He's a good storyteller.

There is a lot of story-telling in "Martin Sloane", tinged (and sometimes saturated) with melancholy, love and loss, but chock-full of detail and mystery at the same time. I found it to be quite a page-turner, irresistible...more
Tami Lynn Andrew
There is nothing worse than a decent plot that is ruined by an author who is convinced he/she needs to write a novel as opposed to a short story or novella.
There were entire chapters of this book that put me to sleep. They slowed the development of the plot and bored me to hell.
1.1
As reserved, quiet, and arty as its cover (its various skin) indicates - but by no means a lifeless novel. Wickedly interconnected by symbolism and remembrance and even the rough spots have something to tell the reader. As Noah Richler's blurb on the back indicates: the book may haunt your thoughts for a while, because it contains depths worth analyzing.

On the other hand, despite very effective writing I found myself constantly confused about what time of day or night the narratives took place...more
Diana
What to say about Martin Sloane ?

This is a compelling, well-written story that holds up quite well until the end. Then, at the end of the experience you realize that it is deeply pessimistic about human nature, especially based on motives that are murky at best. And, to make things even more suspect, Mr. Redhill deary does not understand women at all. As reader, I can accept a dysfunctional female character or relationship, but all of them? Seriously?

Mr. Redhill does have a gift for prose and...more
Timothy
"Love is not a home, it is not safe love other people, our faith in love is misplaced." A great and accurate quote, but as the protagonist says "but I have to put my love into someone." The story revolves around the life of a young college girl who falls in the love with a much older artist -- whose work she adores. Alas, midway through the novel her life is shattered in a moment and she spends the remainder of the book looking for answers about love and life. Set in Toronto, the Finger Lakes of...more
VWrulesChick
It is about Jolene and Molly and their relationship as friends and how they compare their relationship with other men. The story follows Jolene and Martin through the inception of their friendship and then on to relationship. While showing glimpses into Martin's childhood and his experiences.

However, one night he disappears for no reason, Jolene is left to pick up the pieces of her life. All the while, the author gives descriptions of his art work and how is relates to Martin's moments in life....more
Liz Smith
drawn in and left wondering. excellent read
VS Drakkan
A former teacher of mine for a creative writing class is the author of this. The journey of the narrator is much more important than the plot. You find yourself wanting to know more about her. . .

What I enjoyed most is how he told the story in first person from a female narrators perspective, and I think this is what ultimately inspired me to take the same road when crafting my debut tale.

Being a male it's kind of difficult to do that at times, but as writers it's necessary to dive into both asp...more
Ewurama
Much of the action in this book revolves around a mystery, but I wouldn't recommend reading with the goal of solving the mystery. I enjoyed reflecting on the relationships between the characters, their fears, hurts, motivations. It would be interesting to hear from the author how he conceptualized the art pieces that are described at the opening of each chapter.
daniel smith
Aug 01, 2007 daniel smith rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cynical lovers
A tuna salad sandwhich on dry rye. One of those books that jumps all over the place before telling you what's going on. Not really in a suspenceful way since nothing really drastic ever happens. The cover does a good job in describing the book. It supplies a mood, not an answer. Not a very pleasant mood, but it's effective in what it does.
G. Marie

Some guidance is lost in the book's structure, which visits the present, his past and her past throughout. Books that hold a reader's hand on the road from preface to postscript bore me to tears ("The Help"), but I would have appreciated more visible signposts in "Martin Sloan," if not a finger to grasp now and then.
Miriam
This is one of those books that just makes you keep thinking. About art and literature and their intersection. I learned about Joseph Cornell. I pondered James Joyce. Everything that I think is awesome BASICALLY all comes together in this one little book. Everyone who loves literature and art should read this. It is fantastic.
Susan
Although I was left hanging by the ending I loved Redhill's writing so much that I wanted to keep on reading and reading. He really has a great way with words and the boxes Martin builds are fascinating; both in their description and in their meaning. I highly recommend this book.
Rovi Yuno
The beauty of art was shown in this book. I love how Martin made his boxes. The details, the figures, the colors seemed to be so real. The undying love of Jolene towards the other character was indeed, remarkable. I just didn't like how slow the story went but still, it's a good read.
I think I just didn't really get this book. It just didn't do it for me I couldn't picture the artwork the author described and I didn't understand or feel that I got to know or really care about any of the characters. It just was not a book I could relate to in any way.
Brianne
I read this for a book club I had just joined - we were reading only Canadiana at this point. It was an interesting introduction and an interesting book. We were so perplexed by the story, we named our club the "Where is Martin Sloane?" Book Club. :)
Elisabeth
This book made me think of my dead mother and lovers who disappeared from my life. It struggles with finding resolution where there are no longer resolutions to find. Although this is a very interesting story and a good book, it made me feel very sad.
Pamk
Very different book about a woman coping with a man unexpectedly leaving her and also losing a friendship. Written by a poet and it shows in some of the beautiful imagery. Definitely a book about emotions - not much action.
Bachyboy
A beautiful book written from the point of view of Jolene who falls for a much older man, an artist. One night he just walks out and the rest of the book deals wit that mystery. I really like this book.
Sheila
Well written and wonderful descriptions of abstract art, but not quite sure what the author was getting at. I couldn't make up my mind if this was a novel about betrayal, being lonely or the Irish mentality.
Betsy
I enjoyed reading this book and thought it was beautifully written. But, I got the feeling I was supposed to glean some kind of meaning from the book - I don't think I "got" it.
Wendy
It's not often that I really enjoy two books by the same author. I liked this book even better than Consolation. I read it cover to cover two times in a row. Beautiful.
Jenny
Unlike anything I've ever read before. So wonderful, but so sad ! I can't wait to track down more on Cornell. Thanks to Sandra for the recommendation!
Jack
What a strange book! I'm not sure what to make of it. It reads like a badly recorded CD - there seem to be many dropouts.
Martha
Yet another book that has lived in my "to read" pile, now I know why half the chapters put me to sleep.
Merty
Read this for our bookclub, actually I selected it and some didn't like this book so much, I enjoyed it.
Mark Robson
I don't know about this one. I liked it, but the writing style is a little too precious.
Mila Cainey
Oct 06, 2008 Mila Cainey is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
It's been hard getting into this one, it's a little slow. But determined to finish it!
Alicia
Well-written but formulaic in structure. Love story. Pleasant but forgettable.
CBC Books: July '11 - Martin Sloane by Michael Redhill 11 33 Aug 03, 2011 11:08PM
  • Effigy
  • The Piano Man's Daughter
  • Consumption
  • A Student of Weather
Aka Inger Ash Wolfe.

Michael Redhill is an American-born Canadian poet, playwright and novelist.

Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Redhill was raised in the metropolitan Toronto, Ontario area. He pursued one year of study at Indiana University, and then returned to Canada, completing his education at York University and the University of Toronto. He was on the editorial board of Coach House Press from 19...more
More about Michael Redhill...
Consolation Fidelity: Stories Goodness Lake Nora Arms The Griffin Poetry Prize Anthology 2009: A Selection of the Shortlist