Start by marking “Stowaway To Mars” as Want to Read:
Stowaway To Mars

Stowaway To Mars (Stowaway to Mars #1)

The Earth was holding a fantastic contest...

An international prize of over a million dollars was being offered to the first man to complete an interplanetary journey. Target -- Mars.

It was a race against time. The U.S., Russia, and England were again competitors, fighting for fame an fortune.

Dale Curance of England didn't need the fortune. He was a millionaire. He was an e
Mass Market Paperback, 189 pages
Published 1979 by Coronet Books (first published 1935)

To ask other readers questions about Stowaway To Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stowaway To Mars

Michael
Mar 01, 2016 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Lesenotizen

"Ungeheurer ist viel und nichts
Ungeheurer als der Mensch.
Er überschreitet auch das graue Meer
Im Notossturm
Unter tosenden Wogen hindurch."
(Sophokles)

An diesem Unternehmergeist hat sich nichts geändert, nur die zu überwindenden Strecken sind größer geworden. In DIE REISE ZUM MARS will der Brite Dale Curtance, reicher Erbe und Wagehals, 1981 den interplanetarischen Raumflug wagen und mit einer selbst konstruierten Rakete als erster Mensch zum Mars und zurück fliegen und ganz nebenbei den
Matthew Weston
Aug 08, 2014 Matthew Weston rated it it was ok
John Wyndham (Day of the Triffids, The Midwich Cuckoos) became a master of speculative fiction - even his later, less known works (Trouble with Lichen, The Seeds of Time) are fascinating explorations of humanity through his imaginative scenarios. So to read one of his early attempts was certainly interesting. Stowaway to Mars is his second full length novel, originally written under a pseudonym as part of (one assumes) the glut of pulp paperback science fiction available in the thirties. As such ...more
Greg Gbur
Apr 26, 2016 Greg Gbur rated it did not like it
Even if you don’t know John Wyndham‘s name, you are familiar with his writing. Wyndham (1903-1969) wrote a number of incredibly famous and influential science fiction novels, including two that have been adapted for screen several times: The Day of the Triffids (1951) and The Midwitch Cuckoos (1957). One of his other novels, The Kraken Wakes (1953), is in my opinion a neglected classic that has wandered in and out of print and even his last novel, Web (1979), is surprisingly charming.

I recently
Leothefox
Nov 28, 2015 Leothefox rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm very disappointed. John Wyndham's “Stowaway to Mars” (aka “Planet Plane”) seemed to have great potential to be an energetic genre piece, but it squandered every bit of it on half-baked speculations and endless dialogue.
I'm all for dated science fiction, but this book is all about the far future of 1981 in which everybody still pretty much acts like it's 1935, technology isn't all that impressive as yet, and sexism is in full swing. A lot is made of women feeling jealous of machines since I
Leigh Edwards
Sep 17, 2016 Leigh Edwards rated it it was ok
This book achieved something that very few books have managed, it interested me so little that I put it down for a couple of months before finishing it. It is a novel containing promising ideas and plot points that fail to deliver or take the storyline anywhere.

The novel starts with a foiled attempt of espionage that could be either national or corporate. This wets the appetite for more intrigue and competition between the different parties trying to reach Mars for the Keuntz prize but the revea
George
Mar 13, 2015 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Κλασικό παλπ μυθιστόρημα επιστημονικής φαντασίας της δεκαετίας του '30, που δείχνει τα χρονάκια του, χωρίς να είναι κακό αλλά μάλλον μέτριο. Είναι μόλις το δεύτερο βιβλίο του Γουίνταμ που διαβάζω, το πρώτο ήταν το κλασικό Η ώρα των Τριφίδων που φυσικά ήταν κλάσεις ανώτερο, αλλά και τελείως διαφορετικό, άσε που γράφηκε καμιά εικοσαριά χρόνια αργότερα.

Λοιπόν, το σενάριο απλό: Βρισκόμαστε κάπου στο 1980 στην Αγγλία, όπου ένας ειδικός μηχανικός καταφέρνει και φτιάχνει έναν πύραυλο για να πετάξει στ
Sean Randall
Jun 02, 2011 Sean Randall rated it it was ok
"The English man of action amazes me. He has the unique gift of living simultaneously in the twentieth and seventeenth centuries. Technically he is advanced, socially or should I say anti-socially, he has stagnated for three hundred years."

Quaint is the word that comes to mind when summing up this "first men to Mars" story. The language is very Wyndham, the cadence of dialogue provincial and the sexism in full flow. I admire the little details in science fiction works that creep through the ages
Lindsay
Apr 15, 2011 Lindsay rated it liked it
In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the first human spaceflight, I decided to read this novel, written by one of my favourite sci-fi authors.
What I found most interesting was that it was written in 1935, and John Wyndham's imagination took him to the future: 1981. He saw us as making leaps and bounds in space travel (though somehow, couldn't imagine the feminist movement - only baby making for these modern women!).
I've been spoiled by "modern" novels, always being surprised and thrilled.
James Tyrrell
Aug 12, 2011 James Tyrrell rated it liked it
Shelves: fantastique
Not my favourite Wyndham book still a good read but the constant (archaic) description of women gets me irritated. No matter how men may have thought about women at the time he wrote the, I am shocked at the outrageous stereotyping of the female of the species.

Aside that and the material of course being about Mars a planet we now know quite well the book is good and has an interesting discussion on the nature of machines. Long before the computer explosion had taken place he talks of intelligen
Brian
Nov 14, 2010 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mars has canals, the men have hunting rifles and the women faint. Only the machines sound interesting, and they in the end are pointless. And no, I'm not trying to be funny...

I know it was written in the 30's. It has a handful of plot devices that could really take the book places, and I bet in it's time a lot of those ideas were fresh and innovative. I could live with the canals, but there's only two characters that aren't complete cardboard cut outs and even they wander from stereotype to ster
Will Boncher
Nov 16, 2010 Will Boncher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Title is pretty self-explanatory. After being really impressed by The Day of the Triffids, then underwhelmed by Trouble with Lichen, I was glad that this was as good as it was, so Wyndham wasn't just a one-book-wonder. Now to go out and find the rest of his work...
Dominick
Jan 27, 2013 Dominick rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
The first manned mission to Mars has a female stowaway, determined to prove her father's theory about sentient machines form Mars (one of which came to Earth earlier). Mars proves to have sentient machines and a dying out humanoid population. Rather flat, this book also does not really seem to know what it is trying to accomplish; its plot and tone wander.
Felicia
Jun 01, 2010 Felicia rated it liked it
Wellllll, kinda pulp-y, which I don't mind, but not my fave. Interesting example of sci-fi from this era. This author definitely specialized in the "creep-me-out" genre more, so check out his other, horror stuff first.
Margaret
Dec 15, 2013 Margaret rated it really liked it
Obviously dated now and contains much on the relationship of The Machine and Humanity, but I liked it as much for that as for the story and the characters, even though some are just sketchily drawn.
Brian
Sep 30, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it
Futuristic technology, aliens and a fast moving storyline. Not your everyday staples in a Wyndham story but an enjoyable read at the end of the day.
Don
Yes, really interesting Pulp Fiction Sci-Fi (way before the various 1950 Amazing Tales era).

And many years before writing Day Of The Triffids.
Neal Dench
Sep 16, 2009 Neal Dench rated it it was ok
Short stories written before he was famous, some dating back to the 1930s. They haven't aged well. One for the fans.
Γιάννης
Ένα συμπαθητικό μεν αλλά παλιομοδίτικο και ξεπερασμένο μυθιστόρημα επιστημονικής φαντασίας
Chris Morton
Dec 03, 2011 Chris Morton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice bit of genuine pulp sci-fi from the 30s. No big surprises but still a good read.
Roland
Aug 03, 2009 Roland added it
good old fashioned science fiction from the "triffid-man"
Jenny Burridge
Tabi &
Tabi & marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Brian Kenny
Brian Kenny marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Lucy the Ghost
Lucy the Ghost marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Aldo Mauricio
Aldo Mauricio marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Shanna_redwind
Shanna_redwind marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Frankie
Frankie marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
melinda callas
melinda callas rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
  • Centenary Separation (Watchbearers, #2)
  • Masks of the Martyrs (Rings of the Master, #4)
  • Matcher Rules
  • The Reincarnation of Peter Proud
  • Stories Volume 1
  • The Winds of Gath (Dumarest of Terra #1)
  • Prophets of the Ghost Ants
  • The Last Day
  • SecondWorld
  • Right of Passage (Police State of Anarchy #1)
  • Sector General (Sector General, #5)
  • Dead Americans and Other Stories
  • Outer Perimeter
  • The Shores of Space
  • Eye Of The Monster
  • The Brave Free Men
  • The Beast
  • The Humanoids (Humanoids #1)
John Wyndham Parkes Lucas Beynon Harris was the son of a barrister. After trying a number of careers, including farming, law, commercial art and advertising, he started writing short stories in 1925. After serving in the civil Service and the Army during the war, he went back to writing. Adopting the name John Wyndham, he started writing a form of science fiction that he called 'logical fantasy'. ...more
More about John Wyndham...

Stowaway to Mars (2 books)
  • Sleepers Of Mars