Start by marking “No Time for Tears” as Want to Read:

No Time for Tears
Sweeping from Russia to Jerusalem, from New York to Nazi-occupied Germany, and finally to Israel, this is the richly layered story of an extraordinary woman whose epic struggle mirrors the battle of an emerging nation to forge its own identity

Chavala Rabinsky is sixteen when her mother dies and she becomes the caretaker of her five siblings. Beautiful and
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published November 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about No Time for Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Time for Tears

Amantha
Oct 24, 2011 Amantha rated it did not like it
DNF. I quit after about 100 pages. Some parts were interesting and I do enjoy Jewish history but this book is just too melodramatic for my tastes. All the women are in love with their sister's husbands. All that could possibly go wrong does. And I just did not agree with most of what Chavala had to say about everything.
Gary
Apr 10, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing
A compelling historical novel and family saga, both compelling and rich in scope.
It takes us from from turn of the Century Russia to the Holy Land, New York and Germany.
Sixteen year old Chavala, a courageous and spirited young girl must take charge of her family after the death of her mother in childbirth and after marrying Dov, the family migrates to Ottoman-ruled Palestine.
The novel takes us through the trials and tribulations of the Jewish Yishuv (community) of the Land of Israel from the tim
Athena
Jun 17, 2013 Athena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
It was said numerous times in the book, Chavala Landau is a remarkable woman. And she was. Her determination, efficiency, and sheer will to survive was definitely inspiring; her strength combined with her street-smart no-nonsense attitude gave her the ability to achieve her dreams; the reader can't help but cheer her on.
This is a story about a Jewish family, the Rabinsky-Landau's, who trekked from the slums of Odessa to Palestine and beyond; surviving on instinct alone. While the characters wer
Patricia
May 02, 2016 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cynthia Freeman wrote that a thin line between fact and fiction often lives in the mind of the author and that her novel is a fantasy about the way the events might have unfolded. This wonderful saga is an example of historical fiction at its best -- s story of love, loss, hatred, war, inhumane treatment, abject poverty, and ultimately survival and family ties. It would have been helpful if the author had included some historical notes.

When her mother died in childbirth, sixteen year old Chavala
Liz
Mar 09, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
This book reminds me of when I would sleep over and my grandma's house and raid her bookshelf. I read this book about 25 years ago, and just tracked it down. I understood a lot more of it than I did before. I am keenly interested in modern Jewish history, and while the book is a bit "Forrest Gump-y" in that the whole family is interwoven with actual historical figures, it is accessible to all readers. I enjoyed the trip down my own personal memory lane and enjoyed catching up with the landaus.
JaNae
Dec 07, 2011 JaNae rated it really liked it
One my mom used to own that I read more than once. Found it at a library sale last night and bought it right up for $.50! Will be reading this one again in the near future.
Joanne
Mar 30, 2016 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous read - couldn't put down immediately went on to the next one..if you love historical fiction you must read!
Toni
The history behind the story is very well researched and quite interesting. The story itself is very uneven and I found the characters all too perfect to be believable.
Mary
Apr 17, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
Not sure how I picked this one. Very good historical novel about Jewish family. Russia-Palestine-America. 1905-1949.
Vonnie
Jun 07, 2016 Vonnie rated it did not like it
I could not get into this book at all, even after reading 150 pages.
Irisdiana
Jul 08, 2017 Irisdiana rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago and it is one of those that stays with you.......amazing read!
Heather
Freeman brilliantly uses a single family to give the reader a complete picture of what was happening in the world to all the Jews. It primarily focuses on the life and points of view of Chavala and Dovid.
Chavala is the eldest sister of four sisters and a brother. She feels a responsibility for the whole family, which is understandable, given the events of the first chapter. Dovid, on the other hand, feels his greatest responsibility is to Israel and doing everything in his power to attempt to c
L.  (You're No Science-Terrorist!)
The rags-to-rags story of a Jewish family simply searching for a home in the early 1900's. They flee the bloody pogroms of Russia only to be quickly disillusioned by the so-called Promised Land.

At least that's what has happened as far as I read.

It was a struggle with my "I paid for it so by golly I'm going to read it" mentality before I decided I had no time for tears or this book. It was so boring. The characters are shallow. Freeman's writing is underwhelming. Stuff was happening so why did it
marsha miller
Aug 07, 2016 marsha miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No Time For Tears

A wonderful novel about a horrific time in our history, told with emotion, and man's love of country, faith, family and the will to make a better life for all the generations to come!!!
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2017
Prwillis
Prwillis rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2008
Barbi
Barbi rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2009
Becky Raymond
Becky Raymond rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2014
S
S rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Cheryl Goldstein
Cheryl Goldstein rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2009
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2017
Katz Nancy from NJ
Katz Nancy from NJ rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2013
Susan Holoff
Susan Holoff rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2016
diana reid
diana reid rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Celeste
Celeste rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Compliments of a Friend
  • The Candidate
  • The Brass Bed (Jewel Heiss #1)
  • Notown
  • Too Bad to Be Truman (Truman, #2)
  • Three From Galilee: The Young Man from Nazareth
  • The Midwife's Advice
  • Thanksgiving
  • The Difficult Sister (Emma Golden Mysteries, #2)
  • The Peaceable Kingdom
  • The Deal
  • The Devil's Laughter
  • The Last Clinic (Darla Cavannah Mysteries, #1)
  • Diner Impossible  (Rose Strickland Mystery, #3)
  • Afternoon Walk
  • Clean Burn (Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator, #1)
  • Single Witch's Survival Guide (Jane Madison, #4)
  • The Great Alone
190010
Beatrice Cynthia Freeman  (January 10, 1915 - October 22, 1988), pseudonym of Bea Feinberg, was an  American  novelist. She was born in  New York City, where, as a young girl, she began writing books but abandoned writing to pursue a career running an  interior decoration business. When poor health forced her to give up her business, she decided to dust off an old manuscript from childhood but dis ...more
More about Cynthia Freeman...